Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Safe standing FSF making progress slowly "

Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:51 pm

" We'll listen to case for terraces, says sports minister Hugh Robertson "

David Conn
guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 22 March 2011 22.00 GMT

" The FSF is calling for defined areas of grounds to be made available for safe standing areas, similar to those in Germany. "

" The sports minister, Hugh Robertson, has said the government will consider the possibility of reintroducing standing areas at top-level football matches, 21 years after Lord Justice Taylor recommended terracing be outlawed. "
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

At the first ever meeting to discuss the issue with the Football Supporters' Federation (FSF), football authorities, police and the Football Licensing Authority, which took place on Monday, Robertson said he would examine the evidence for safe standing. In particular, he said he wanted to see whether modern terracing would be safe, technically able to be built into stadiums and capable of being policed, and whether there is demand from substantial numbers to stand.

But anxious not to raise immediate expectations, Robertson told the meeting frankly that because the 1989 Hillsborough disaster, in which 96 Liverpool supporters died, led to Taylor's recommendation that standing be outlawed, the stakes are extremely high to recommend a change. If he were to do so, and there was then a major accident or incident of disorder on a terrace, Robertson said: "The minister's head would be on a spike on Tower Bridge before he could draft a resignation letter."

The meeting was called by the Liberal Democrat sports spokesman, Don Foster, who has tabled a private member's bill calling for clubs to be permitted safe standing areas. "I am very pleased we brought all parties together for the first time to discuss the issue," he said. "Real fans are paying high ticket prices and losing out, and I am confident safe standing can be introduced which meets all the minister's concerns. We will be gathering the required evidence, and fans must now make their voices heard."

The FSF will launch an online petition calling for the introduction of safe standing areas at stadiums in England's top two divisions, where all-seating has been compulsory since 1994, as recommended by Taylor four years earlier.

All the authorities represented at the meeting stated their opposition to any reintroduction of standing areas, although they no longer state that this is predominantly an issue of fan safety, rather of crowd control. The Premier League, Football League and Football Association argued that all-seat stadiums had been crucial in improving the game's fortunes and image since Hillsborough, and there is no major demand for standing.

The FSF is calling for defined areas of grounds to be made available for safe standing areas, similar to those in Germany where closely spaced barriers make a crush close to impossible. The FSF points to a survey it conducted in which 90% of respondents said fans should have the choice of sitting or standing. The organisation hopes thousands will sign the online petition.

Robertson stressed he is wary of considering change, but would look at all evidence presented, and would want a consensus, including the police in particular, that standing would be safe.

Andy Holt, assistant chief constable of South Yorkshire police, representing the Association of Chief Police Officers at the meeting, said it is up to the FSF to demonstrate that standing areas could be policed effectively and would not risk increasing disorder at matches.

Malcolm Clarke, the FSF chairman, argued that such standing areas would enable fans to enjoy matches in a more traditional atmosphere. Clarke also pointed out that many supporters regularly stand at top-flight football in the all-seat stands, a practice the Football Licensing Authority considers a safety risk.

"Fans do believe they have lost something in the move to all-seating," Clarke said. "We will be doing further research to respond to the concerns of those who are not yet convinced."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011 ... e-standing

Re: Safe standing FSF making progress slowly

Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:44 am

great news. if they do decide to have safe standing areas in stadiums do you think ccs will do it? could have the canton as a terrace?

Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:04 am

could our fan falling affect anything ?

Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:02 pm

a horse with no name wrote:could our fan falling affect anything ?

i doubt it, he was in a sitting :D

Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:26 pm

Seen on Sky Sports News that the Premier League have said they'd oppose it.. wankers..

Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:59 pm

looks awesome in germany and has had good reviews from what ive seen, love to have it back, miss standing at ninian park

Re: " Safe standing FSF making progress slowly "

Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:13 pm

Anything like this is a positive step in my opinion. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

How can Scunthorpe be Allowed All This Season, yet if they stay up any longer they will have to change to seats, its a joke.
Ninian Park was still Allowed so, if it was say safe May, How can it not be Safe in August(an Example) ?

Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:16 pm

Woul love it!

But it won't happen: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/12830836.stm

Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:18 pm

if we were back at ninian i dont think having it all seated would make a huge difference because we would have the same people in the same stands and i couldnt see the whole grange end sitting down :lol: . i love seeing the canton all stood up and even some of the ninian. safe standing will bring a passion back to a lot of clubs

Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:21 pm

Would the club even consider ripping out seats in the canton? I love the idea but i doubt they would even listen to us fans!

Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:26 pm

From Facebook

Danny Davies
Lets be honest if Hillsborough had on been all seater, the death toll may have been a lot worse. It was a steward or the Old Bills fault for leaving the exit gate open not the terrace. Just imagine that volume of people rushing in when it all seater? Surely all seat is more dangerous under that circumstance? Its nothing to do with safety as its been proved it works fine in Germany, its all about charging more money for a seat to sit on. Lets face it this country is all about money for everything you do, as I said before its the whole damn country that needs to reform not just football.
2 minutes ago · Like · 1 person

Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:39 pm

They have said ,quote, at top-level football matches that sounds to me like they can choose which they think is top Level like world cup games . wouldnt say that would cover games like City V Norwich or even the Swans v Cardiff or even Mancity V Untd .

Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:54 pm

welshcitydragon wrote:They have said ,quote, at top-level football matches that sounds to me like they can choose which they think is top Level like world cup games . wouldnt say that would cover games like City V Norwich or even the Swans v Cardiff or even Mancity V Untd .

It should do, they mean the top two leagues so prem and championship, let's hope it happens, bring back the bob-bank :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:02 pm

http://www.fsf.org.uk/petitions/safesta ... e=sign&id= sign up! :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:39 pm

Football authorities have implemented some strange laws.

You can drink as much as you like in the concourse, yet as soon as you go to your seat, they take your alcoholic drink from you. Why ?

It is allowed at the same stadium for Rugby, so if I attended a rugby match I would be fine.

Standing is allowed at Rugby and Cricket ,coupled with drinking at your seat, yet the same risks could apply surley ?

Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:59 pm

Joff wrote:Football authorities have implemented some strange laws.

You can drink as much as you like in the concourse, yet as soon as you go to your seat, they take your alcoholic drink from you. Why ?

It is allowed at the same stadium for Rugby, so if I attended a rugby match I would be fine.

Standing is allowed at Rugby and Cricket ,coupled with drinking at your seat, yet the same risks could apply surley ?

Some Excellent points there Joff, OUR COUNTRY IS RUN BY NERDS and IDIOTS.

Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:55 am

McMurdo wrote:Seen on Sky Sports News that the Premier League have said they'd oppose it.. wankers..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCkOmcIl79s :evil:

Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:09 pm

can't see it happening myself :(

Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:13 pm

Cheers Corky once again for keeping us updated :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:16 pm

signed up :ayatollah: