Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

I’LL BE THERE HITS THE HIGH NOTES FOR KEENOR APPEAL

Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:14 am

The following Press release has been issued by the Fred Keenor Statue Fund

Sales of The Stand’s record I’ll Be There (With My Little Pick and Shovel) have raised a fantastic £2,000 for the Fred Keenor Statue Fund.

And Merthyr actor Jonathan Owen says more cash is to come in when proceeds from download sales are counted.

Jonny, star of the hit film A bit of Tom Jones, who teamed up with Super Furry Animals guitarist Guto Pryce and Owen Powell of Catatonia fame, were joined by drummers Ryan Richards and Gareth Lawrence, from Welsh bands Funeral for a Friend and Blackout, to record a version of the terrace favourite at the Monnow Studios in Rockfield, Monmouth last year.

Former Stereophonics drummer Stuart Cable, who had been a driving force for the fundraiser, sadly died before the song was recorded.

The £2,000 means the fund has now passed the half-way target. More than £44,000 has now been raised towards the £85,000 tribute to Wales skipper and the captain of Cardiff City’s 1927 FA Cup winning team.

Jonny Owen said: “We're absolutely delighted to help the fund in any way. I'd been told that it's practically impossible to make any money on a single these days but we managed it! It also helped in younger people becoming aware of Fred Keenor, Cardiff City's greatest ever player.

“We'll keep helping with all money raising aspects and again would like to say that the people involved in the fund continue to inspire us with their Herculean effort in trying to get it erected at our ground. God bless them for that!'

David Craig, Fred Keenor Appeal project manager and a Cardiff City Supporters’ Trust Board member, said: “This is brilliant news. Jonny and the lads put in a huge amount of effort. It’s also not just about the amount they raised, which is great, but the huge profile the record has given the appeal.

“We cannot thank them enough for what they have done and it shows how committed City fans are to seeing this statue erected at the Cardiff City Stadium. And I want to thank everyone that board a record, CD or download for their great support.

“There is no let up for the appeal. We have been given permission to hold a collection at Gates 5, 6 and 7 before the Wales v England game at the Millennium Stadium on Saturday and we ask fans going to the match to be as generous as possible. We also have a race night organised for next month.”

Re: I’LL BE THERE HITS THE HIGH NOTES FOR KEENOR APPEAL

Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:46 am

well done "the stand" :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:50 am

Great news , and well done to all who got it or did the load down, great :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:06 pm

I will chuck a quid in the bucket on Sat BUT do you think its fair that football fans of other Welsh teams should tho ? I mean if there was a collection for a Swansea statue I wouldnt give anything !!

Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:10 pm

Vintage 63 wrote:I will chuck a quid in the bucket on Sat BUT do you think its fair that football fans of other Welsh teams should tho ? I mean if there was a collection for a Swansea statue I wouldnt give anything !!

i actually would give for a swansea statue tbh .... i actually dont hate swansea city, obviously i like beating them and dont want to see them go up instead of us! but if we both went up i would be very pleased! .... its english clubs i hate, with a passion and if cardiff and swansea go out it can only be great for WELSH FOOTBALL! :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:32 pm

I would also contribute particularly if there was a link with Wales or Cardiff. I would have contributed to the Ivor Allchurch statue at the Liberty if a bucket collection was taking place