Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

DAVE JONES' ULTIMATUM ?

Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:27 am

Win at Millwall or kiss goodbye to your job?

O.K. I was kind of a "Dave Jones Out" fan for a while, and the case may still be. But whether giving Jones this kind of ultimatum is wise is another thing?

So what are we saying here exactly? Win at Millwall, and then it will be "Right, Beat Derby at home after the International break or lose your Job"? Are we going to be threatening Jones with this each time an approaching game comes?

How will this effect the Manager and the players leading up to what you could call the biggest 8 or 9 games the club has faced in 5 years?

What happens if we beat Millwall, then lose to Derby? I think it's getting all a bit too silly now. Personally and in my opinion Dave Jones is NOT the man to take control in the Premier League (IF we get there) I just dont see him having the qualities to be able to compete against the best in the business, and to keep Cardiff a top flight team.

But back to the topic in hand, We have to let Dave Jones finish the job he started and carry us to the end. IF we fail, we fail, and we have to pick up the pieces and start again - nothing new to CCFC and us fans, we bite the bullet and look forward to the coming season with a new manager at the helm. Then, IF he takes us up, we have to thank him, shake his hand give him the credit and the compensation and still rebuild and look to survive in the best league in the world!

So Dave Jones it's over to you. Fire up the players, Instill the motivation, put your golf clubs down, and GUIDE THIS CLUB TO WHERE THE FANS DESERVE TO BE!

:ayatollah:

Re: DAVE JONES' ULTIMATUM ?

Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:30 am

Absolutely agree with you.

No fan of Jones but can't agree with sacking him now. Or even adding to the pressure he's already under any further.

Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:32 am

Merlin wrote:Win at Millwall or kiss goodbye to your job?

O.K. I was kind of a "Dave Jones Out" fan for a while, and the case may still be. But whether giving Jones this kind of ultimatum is wise is another thing?

So what are we saying here exactly? Win at Millwall, and then it will be "Right, Beat Derby at home after the International break or lose your Job"? Are we going to be threatening Jones with this each time an approaching game comes?

How will this effect the Manager and the players leading up to what you could call the biggest 8 or 9 games the club has faced in 5 years?

What happens if we beat Millwall, then lose to Derby? I think it's getting all a bit too silly now. Personally and in my opinion Dave Jones is NOT the man to take control in the Premier League (IF we get there) I just dont see him having the qualities to be able to compete against the best in the business, and to keep Cardiff a top flight team.

But back to the topic in hand, We have to let Dave Jones finish the job he started and carry us to the end. IF we fail, we fail, and we have to pick up the pieces and start again - nothing new to CCFC and us fans, we bite the bullet and look forward to the coming season with a new manager at the helm. Then, IF he takes us up, we have to thank him, shake his hand give him the credit and the compensation and still rebuild and look to survive in the best league in the world!

So Dave Jones it's over to you. Fire up the players, Instill the motivation, put your golf clubs down, and GUIDE THIS CLUB TO WHERE THE FANS DESERVE TO BE!

Very sensible post.

Lets keep the faith - I expect most of us have renewed our season tickets for next year no matter what happens. :ayatollah:

Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:38 am

I agree with your logic Merlin with regard to the paradox in threatening Jones with his job everytime a game comes up.

However, I disagree with your solution and IMO we should sack the tw*t now and get on with gaining promotion which will never happen on his watch.

Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:38 am

My rationale for replacing now is that there are two scenarios.

1) New manager turns things around, we go up.

2) New manager doesn't take us up, damage already having been done, thus gets games this seasonto prepare for next rather than coming in cold in summer.

Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:39 am

as much as i want jones out i have to agree with you. After this story has hit the messageboards the club need to make a statement and either back DJ or sack him! There is no doubt he will have heard these rumours and if the club doenst reassure him then we are just giving him another excuse for failure! Either back him to the hilt or get a new man in asap! The result on Saturday shouldnt matter, if the board have lost faith then he must go!

Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:43 am

Good post and very similar to what i posted last night let's back him not sack him (At least to the end of the Season) :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:52 am

The biggest problem I have with that BH is we will then have to wait at least 12 months before another stab at promotion to the Premier League and in all honesty that opportunity might not be there next season.

I strongly believe in the saying 'Fortune Favours the Bold'

We must make our own luck now by sacking Jones rather than regretting his 'bad luck' which will be the excuse for failure come the end of the season.

Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:53 am

I disagree. DJ needs to show us he can lift us out of this slump and unacceptable run of form by getting a result on Saturday. The Malaysians should imo be drawing a definitive line in the sand in respect of tomorrows game and saying if a result can be achieved then hes got the job for the remainder of the run in - if not hes relieved of his duties and Terry is caretaker for the run in. I do not support bringing a new fella in that this stage but I do support removing what appears to be the obstruction to our promotion hopes AT THIS STAGE.

I wouldnt prolong the affair to drawing out the ultimatum to Derby at home, as like I said a line should be drawn at Millwall away.

What I do appose though is just sitting back and not intervening on what would be a terrible run of form considering the potential of our team and DJs historical conduct/ performance at this stage of the season.

If we lose tomorrow we need brave and decisive decision making - football is a ruthless rapidly evolving environment. Sometimes you have to act fast, void of sentiment and irrelevant of how you got to a certain position or past achievements. Opportunities like this one are few and far between - how many times have we been this close in the last 30 years?

Its a no brainer for me - the club and our chances should first...not a manager who has been given every opportunity to mould a promotion challenge in exactly the manner he wanted to. If we dont get a result tomorrow its an insult if hr doesnt go, and we're just basically bowing to him and letting him get away with murder with no accountability.

One way or the other we should be clear on our future this time Sunday

Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:58 am

nerd wrote:My rationale for replacing now is that there are two scenarios.

2) New manager doesn't take us up, damage already having been done, thus gets games this seasonto prepare for next rather than coming in cold in summer.

preparing with players that might have all gone back to parent clubs? might be a bit more difficult than that - but I understand your point.

However, the new manager might turn up, Not get us promoted, but it will be the case of WHAT IF, I know it's highly unlikely if we lose to Millwall that we can still go on and win every other one of the games under Jones. But If we do get rid of him, we'll never know.

Its a touchy subject to say the least!

Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:01 am

Well said Craig, I knew you had sense in there somewhere.

Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:02 am

totally agree who ever heard of a team sacking their manager while placed in play offs position with 9 games to go? if he fails again he has to go at the end of the season but not now. hope he pulls it off and proves us doubters wrong :ayatollah:

Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:02 am

Merlin wrote:We have to let Dave Jones finish the job he started and carry us to the end. IF we fail, we fail, and we have to pick up the pieces and start again - nothing new to CCFC and us fans, we bite the bullet and look forward to the coming season with a new manager at the helm. Then, IF he takes us up, we have to thank him, shake his hand give him the credit and the compensation and still rebuild and look to survive in the best league in the world!

Glad i dont work for you!

So if DJ gets us up we sack him, yeah thats really going to encourage him! :lol:

Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:04 am

let's take a punt.......sack him, and get Martin O' Neil in before someone else snaps him up.

Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:39 am

THE DON wrote:
Merlin wrote:We have to let Dave Jones finish the job he started and carry us to the end. IF we fail, we fail, and we have to pick up the pieces and start again - nothing new to CCFC and us fans, we bite the bullet and look forward to the coming season with a new manager at the helm. Then, IF he takes us up, we have to thank him, shake his hand give him the credit and the compensation and still rebuild and look to survive in the best league in the world!

So if DJ gets us up we sack him, yeah thats really going to encourage him! :lol:

Do you think he has the qualities to become a good premier league manager? Sorry but I dont share your enthusiasm!

Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:02 pm

Merlin wrote:
THE DON wrote:

Do you think he has the qualities to become a good premier league manager? Sorry but I dont share your enthusiasm!

If I was the chairman I would have sacked him after the home game against Preston. It was at that point when I thought he is not going to do it. I personally think he has gone as far as he can and a time for change is well over due. I do agree with what you say that we must get behind Dave Jones and hope he fires up the team it just made me laugh when you said we should then sack him!!! Your ruthless! Thanks Dave now feck off :lol:

Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:23 pm

Merlin wrote:

preparing with players that might have all gone back to parent clubs? might be a bit more difficult than that - but I understand your point.

DJ is going to have to prepare in the very same way if he does stay

Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:39 pm

The whole situation is ridiculous, we seem to think we have a god given right for success. We are still in the hunt, and if people would stop the constant moaning then maybe we could all get together and support the team to help us achieve what we all want.

I notice the first message ends with ‘where the fans deserve to be’, what utter rubbish. If there is one set of fans in this division that don’t deserve promotion this season it’s Cardiff City fans. Constant moaning and bickering despite us being in the top 6 all season. Booing when it’s 0-0 at half time or even at draws at full time, booing various players in the blue shirt, the negative defeatist attitude that we all seem to have. Win 2 games on the spin and we think we can win the league, lose 2 on the bounce and we are awful, DJ out, Bothroyd and Bellamy are s*** etc etc etc. It’s so boring, why can’t we all just get behind the team. This season should have been one of the most enjoyable to be a Cardiff City fan in my lifetime, but the fans have played a major part in me personally wanting this season over and done with.

Sacking a manager with 8 games to go (after Saturday) is f***ing stupid and childish

Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:24 pm

JonScam wrote:I disagree. DJ needs to show us he can lift us out of this slump and unacceptable run of form by getting a result on Saturday. The Malaysians should imo be drawing a definitive line in the sand in respect of tomorrows game and saying if a result can be achieved then hes got the job for the remainder of the run in - if not hes relieved of his duties and Terry is caretaker for the run in. I do not support bringing a new fella in that this stage but I do support removing what appears to be the obstruction to our promotion hopes AT THIS STAGE.

I wouldnt prolong the affair to drawing out the ultimatum to Derby at home, as like I said a line should be drawn at Millwall away.

What I do appose though is just sitting back and not intervening on what would be a terrible run of form considering the potential of our team and DJs historical conduct/ performance at this stage of the season.

If we lose tomorrow we need brave and decisive decision making - football is a ruthless rapidly evolving environment. Sometimes you have to act fast, void of sentiment and irrelevant of how you got to a certain position or past achievements. Opportunities like this one are few and far between - how many times have we been this close in the last 30 years?

Its a no brainer for me - the club and our chances should first...not a manager who has been given every opportunity to mould a promotion challenge in exactly the manner he wanted to. If we dont get a result tomorrow its an insult if hr doesnt go, and we're just basically bowing to him and letting him get away with murder with no accountability.

One way or the other we should be clear on our future this time Sunday

Excellent post :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:25 pm

Interesting post Nerd :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:45 pm

i agree with pretty much everything you said
apart from that our fans deserve Premiership football...

i think the ones that support the club through thick and thin do, and the ones that turn up to every game no matter what and dont shout abuse and boo our players (e.g. Bothroyd) do...
BUT
unfortunately, we are in the minority...
we have a some of the most naive and fickle fans around... with higher expectations than alot of other fans
just because weve signed a few players on high wages, doesnt mean we have more of a divine right than any other club in this division to get promoted...

i'll say what ive always said though, i still think we will get promoted

Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:23 pm

Scott - you really keep missing the point!! No one here thinks we have a divine right to go up! But when a club adds a player of Craig Bellamy's calibre to a team that got to the play off final last season, as well as internationals such as Olifinjana, Ramsey, Keinan, Keogh, Koumas etc etc, and the manager says this is the best squad he has had, then expectations do get raised! When those expectations get raised but we continue to suffer unexplained mid season and end of season slumps, which have cost us dearly in the last, fans wonder why this keeps happening? What is the common denominator in all of these slumps over the last 6 years? Dave Jones!

Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:54 pm

Jimbo27 wrote:Scott - you really keep missing the point!! No one here thinks we have a divine right to go up! But when a club adds a player of Craig Bellamy's calibre to a team that got to the play off final last season, as well as internationals such as Olifinjana, Ramsey, Keinan, Keogh, Koumas etc etc, and the manager says this is the best squad he has had, then expectations do get raised! When those expectations get raised but we continue to suffer unexplained mid season and end of season slumps, which have cost us dearly in the last, fans wonder why this keeps happening? What is the common denominator in all of these slumps over the last 6 years? Dave Jones!

Excellent post.

I just cant understand how people who keep saying "we are still in top six" cant smell the coffee beans over the fact that it is highly likely that history is going to repeat itself and we look like bottling it again.

This rumour about sacking DJ if we lose against Millwall has not generated itself because of this one game but his own history while at our club. The consistant blips we keep getting through the seasons under his management is a real concern and as this is the best chance we have of getting promoted then dramatic action is required if another blip is about to happen. You have to look at what is at risk here and that is losing out on promotion to the top league when the door is wide open to us. I personally see it slipping away from us and under DJ I just cannot see us pulling out of it.

Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:01 pm

Jimbo27 wrote:Scott - you really keep missing the point!! No one here thinks we have a divine right to go up!

IF I had a quid for everytime I've seen the words "We should be ten points clear at the top by now" I'd probably be able to pay Bellamy's wages for this week.

That quote, to me, is an arrogant demand for success - people thinking we DO have a divine right to go up - with total disregard for the fact that it is in the conditional tense - which means it hasn't/isn't happening. It's that simple.

Could/would/should are all POINTLESS and irrelevant words in football.

Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:09 pm

Since it has been widely reported that DJ is doing two jobs, manager and director of football, and everyone else is either simply a businessman or an egg chaser, if he's sacked this weekend who is running the football side of things on Monday?

Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:28 pm

DaveSheffield wrote:
Jimbo27 wrote:Scott - you really keep missing the point!! No one here thinks we have a divine right to go up!

IF I had a quid for everytime I've seen the words "We should be ten points clear at the top by now" I'd probably be able to pay Bellamy's wages for this week.

That quote, to me, is an arrogant demand for success - people thinking we DO have a divine right to go up - with total disregard for the fact that it is in the conditional tense - which means it hasn't/isn't happening. It's that simple.

Could/would/should are all POINTLESS and irrelevant words in football.

It is not arrogance to believe this squad should be doing better, it’s an opinion based on the facts.

We have a team comparable to QPR and should therefore be where they are, but we are not because of under achievement and the blame for that has to lay at the door of the manager as the buck stops with him.

Frankly you are making inferences about ‘divine rights to promotion’ which simply are not there.

Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:06 pm

The way I see it is that if DJ was sacked now and we still failed to go up I believe each and every one of us would wonder if he could have done it if he had stayed. If he goes that also gives the players a get out clause. My vote is to stick with him until he actually fails otherwise we might all spend the rest of our lives wondering 'what if'.

Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:07 pm

great post and i think jones is time is up end of season regardless imo so lets back the team as we always do and see what comes at the end of it all :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:01 pm

algy wrote:The way I see it is that if DJ was sacked now and we still failed to go up I believe each and every one of us would wonder if he could have done it if he had stayed. If he goes that also gives the players a get out clause. My vote is to stick with him until he actually fails otherwise we might all spend the rest of our lives wondering 'what if'.

Same can ve said if he stays and we dont go up. Would someone new had got us up?

Its all down to how much the club wants us to go up. If they do, do they stick with a guy who has a reputation of blowing it? You see what I feel alot of us are not seeing is the fact we are now in a play off spot and a couple more loses and we could be fighting to keep that.

Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:21 am

Bakedalasker wrote:
algy wrote:The way I see it is that if DJ was sacked now and we still failed to go up I believe each and every one of us would wonder if he could have done it if he had stayed. If he goes that also gives the players a get out clause. My vote is to stick with him until he actually fails otherwise we might all spend the rest of our lives wondering 'what if'.

Same can ve said if he stays and we dont go up. Would someone new had got us up?

Its all down to how much the club wants us to go up. If they do, do they stick with a guy who has a reputation of blowing it? You see what I feel alot of us are not seeing is the fact we are now in a play off spot and a couple more loses and we could be fighting to keep that.

Today's result will speak a thousand words! Let's see what happens? ;)