Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" DAVE JONES FAMOUS QUOTE ? "

Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:51 pm

I have just been given this by someone to do with the Club, But if I am Honest I am not 100% Sure if the Following Quote was Def Said .
Can anyone find out and Also the exact date Dave Jones took over ? :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

ahhh didn't he say quote
"if a manager cant get his team up a division in three years, then he needs to move on"
think that was a comment when he gave a press conference when he first took the job....

Re: " DAVE JONES FAMOUS QUOTE ? "

Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:56 pm

Doesn't sound like something DJ would say to me.
IMO last season He showed his best skills when the club was falling apart around him in every way.

This season he has a squad capable of promotion and he must be judged on this.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:43 am

2blue2handle wrote:Doesn't sound like something DJ would say to me.
IMO last season He showed his best skills when the club was falling apart around him in every way.

Fair comment indeed....

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:18 am

Luke, Someone is going to find the newspaper it was in.

I dont agree thats its only this season that he should only be Judged on this season.
Who signed and(some will say) wasted BIG MONEY on the following Fowler/Eddie Johnson/Hasslebank/Sinclair/Feeney(My own mate) ect and gave away for virtually nothing players like Alexandra ?

Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:55 am

I suppose going to Wembley 3 times was just a bonus to be forgotten then :roll:

We have been to Wembley more times than the likes of Arsenal.

last 3 years have boosted the clubs profile for a number of reasons. even the PR era

Davey Jones Barmy Army :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:08 am

bluebirdlewis wrote:I suppose going to Wembley 3 times was just a bonus to be forgotten then :roll:

Ah, yes, but you forget that we committed the ultimate sin of not beating a Portsmouth side containing players like Lassana Diarra (who went on to sign for Real Madrid and play for France), Glen Johnson (Liverpool and England), Sylvain Distin (Man City), Peter Crouch (Spurs and England), Sulley Muntari (Inter and Ghana), Hermann Hreidarsson (Iceland), Pedro Mendes (Rangers and Portugal), Kanu (Arsenal and Nigeria), not to mention the best English manager in the business in the last 5 years.

And people wonder why the players bother when the fans are so ungrateful.

We're Cardiff City. We're a small club. That's a fact.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:36 am

bluebirdlewis wrote:I suppose going to Wembley 3 times was just a bonus to be forgotten then :roll:

last 3 years have boosted the clubs profile for a number of reasons. even the PR era

Davey Jones Barmy Army :ayatollah:

You can take a Club anywhere, but what matters most is the outcome.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:38 am

DaveSheffield wrote:

Ah, yes, but you forget that we committed the ultimate sin of not beating a Portsmouth side containing players like Lassana Diarra (who went on to sign for Real Madrid and play for France), Glen Johnson (Liverpool and England), Sylvain Distin (Man City), Peter Crouch (Spurs and England), Sulley Muntari (Inter and Ghana), Hermann Hreidarsson (Iceland), Pedro Mendes (Rangers and Portugal), Kanu (Arsenal and Nigeria), not to mention the best English manager in the business in the last 5 years.

Face facts - you're implying nobody should ever dare criticise Dave Jones whatsoever.

After all, it's our fault that, we play as a team of individuals rather than a team.

It's our fault DJ continually puts down our clubs history - in last programme mentioning "reaching a league we've never been in". No, we've never ever played at the highest level.

It's our fault DJ comes out with baffling selections, formations, substitutions.

It's our fault we've an appauling record when conceding the first goal.

it's our fault we slump every season.

It's our fault that, when DJ castigates players for slumping as being "not mentally tough enough" that the players he replaces with do exacly the same.

I and everyone else would love us to get promoted. DJ's history tells us we're more likely not to. But us "plastic" fans shouldn't mention anything other than expressing the view we'll win every game and win the title...

Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:45 am

DaveSheffield wrote:

In the list of DJ crimes losing the FA Cup Final is well down the list, although that day the club lacked motivation (again) and Ramsey (we now know what a difference he can make) languished on the bench until late on in the game (both failings were the responsibility of DJ).

The '3 times at Wembley' defence of Jones is hugely misleading as 2 of them came from an extraordinary lucky run in the FA Cup and let's be honest it will be a long time before a club who were 9th in the Championship at the time, draw a club ranked below them in the Semi-Final.

Even the play-off final appearance came after the team ‘lost’ the home leg of the PO Semi and if the away goals rule had been in place the game wouldn’t have gone to penalties and that useless French bloke f**king up his penalty for Leicester.

And finally when we got to Wembley again we played a Championship club ranked below us, but this time blew it big time due to the managers hopeless tactical awareness and lack of motivational skills.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:06 am

Forever Blue wrote:Face facts - you're implying nobody should ever dare criticise Dave Jones whatsoever.

After all, it's our fault that, we play as a team of individuals rather than a team.

It's our fault DJ continually puts down our clubs history - in last programme mentioning "reaching a league we've never been in". No, we've never ever played at the highest level.

It's our fault DJ comes out with baffling selections, formations, substitutions.

It's our fault we've an appauling record when conceding the first goal.

it's our fault we slump every season.

It's our fault that, when DJ castigates players for slumping as being "not mentally tough enough" that the players he replaces with do exacly the same.

I and everyone else would love us to get promoted. DJ's history tells us we're more likely not to. But us "plastic" fans shouldn't mention anything other than expressing the view we'll win every game and win the title...

No I'm not. I'm stating - not implying - that nobody should even remotely kid themselves that we had anything more than a slim chance of getting a result in the cup final, yet people always pull that one out of the fire as a "failure". Which it wasn't, of course.

No, that's the players' fault. They're the ones who play, after all.

We've never played in the Premier League. That's a fact. The Premier league as it is now is NOT the Division One of old, it is a seperate (ish) entity to the football league.

No it's not, that's Jones' fault. But then I'd also ask Jay Bothroyd why he plays on the wing and crosses balls in to players of the physical stature of, erm, Burke, Chopra and Whittingham. Surely as a professional footballer he should have the nouse to know "hang on, they're all too short to do what my deliveries are asking them to do, I'll stay in the box"??

I don't know whose fault that it but Norwich this season aside, I doubt our record is worse by any sort of distance than anybody else's.

I can't state categorically whose fault that is but averages implies it's Jones'. It's unfortunate. But then hold on, what about the playoff season under Lennie Lawrence? We went 5 games without a win on the way in to the playoffs. I don't remember people calling for him to be sacked at that point.

I'm not sure who you're referring to as being "not mentally tough enough" there.

DJ's history outside of an administration threatened Cardiff City features a playoff final defeat, followed one season later by a playoff final victory. I'll take that replicated now thanks very much.

I don't believe we'll win every game, I never said anything of the sort and actually I've argued the complete opposite with people - I'm not interested in negativity but I'm also not interested in blind faith and arrogance, which is what the people who say "we should be 10 points clear at the top with the squad we've got" are suffering from.

I also didn't call anyone plastic.

That's got rid of the cobwebs this morning!! :lol:

Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:08 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
DaveSheffield wrote:

In the list of DJ crimes losing the FA Cup Final is well down the list, although that day the club lacked motivation (again) and Ramsey (we now know what a difference he can make) languished on the bench until late on in the game (both failings were the responsibility of DJ).

This implies that Ramsey was the finished article at that time, when he was clearly nothing like the player he is today!

In the last few games prior to the FA Cup Final, Ramsey was pulling out of tackles, intentionally to save himself for the final!

I can't blame DJ for not picking him at that time and IMO, it was Ramsey's fault for not putting his boot in, in the games prior to the final!

The '3 times at Wembley' defence of Jones is hugely misleading as 2 of them came from an extraordinary lucky run in the FA Cup and let's be honest it will be a long time before a club who were 9th in the Championship at the time, draw a club ranked below them in the Semi-Final.

Even the play-off final appearance came after the team ‘lost’ the home leg of the PO Semi and if the away goals rule had been in place the game wouldn’t have gone to penalties and that useless French bloke f**king up his penalty for Leicester.

To be fair to DJ at that time though, we completely outplayed Leicester in the away leg and the home leg!

We could easily have won by 3 goals in Leicester and we outplayed them far better than we did Ipswich 11 or so days ago and should have gone in at half time, leading by at least 4 or 5 goals!

And finally when we got to Wembley again we played a Championship club ranked below us, but this time blew it big time due to the managers hopeless tactical awareness and lack of motivational skills.

Thought it had something to do with the referee giving them a handball against McPhail for their first goal, when it was clearly ball to hand, followed up by a super strike from Charlie Adam, which no goalkeeper would have saved!

Matters then got worse when Marshall flapped at a cross, which cost us the second goal and then the defence marshalled by Hudson, playing too deep, which cost us a third goal!

Then you have to take into account, that we lost our most potent attacking player (when he can stay on his feet) early and had to bring on Utuhu, who couldn't get anywhere near the ball in the air and looked a shadow of the player, who played so well at West Brom and Forest away!

We've also forgotten, that we were under a transfer embargo, struggling to pay the tax man and DJ had been unable to bring in any players, whilst Holloway had a team full of loanees!

We had nobody on the bench capable of coming on and making a difference to our attacking options and IMO, the only player who I thought could make any difference anywhere, would have been had Gerrard played instead of Hudson, who was shite at that period for us!

Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:19 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
DaveSheffield wrote:

Ramsey was 16.

Instead of using the fact that a teenage boy didn't start who's now actually quite good, against a team full of Champions League and international quality stars, how about giving the Portsmouth side the credit they deserve for being infinitely better than we were man for man and being amazed that we managed to keep it down to 1-0 and even managed to put the ball in the back of the net.

And actually, there was me just being grateful that we even made the FA Cup final for the first time in 81 years at all.
How dare I.
Barnsley beat Liverpool and Chelsea. That's right, Liverpool and Chelsea. Not Leicester and Charlton.

They were there on merit and so were we.

That is how a cup competition works and shame on you for attempting to discredit the achievement that it so clearly is. It's incredible how these reservations about an "easy run" (what's that, UEFA Cup finalists Middlesbrough away, you say? Oh of course, how EASY) were not voiced at the time.

It's also interesting that you mention the away goals rule. Stoke City. That is all I have to say on that matter. What goes around does, eventually, come back around.

And would you care to tell me where Blackpool FC, managed by Ian Holloway, are currently plying their trade?

Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:05 am

DaveSheffield wrote:

All those players, Muntari excepted, looked pretty average in that game. I mean, Johnson had to resort to repeatedly hacking Ledley down.

You'd figure a manager would get an underdog side motivated for that game. You'd figure a manager would want to go for it in his selection for that one off game.

You fail to mention Jones went with an immobile Hasslebaink up front with no Rambo.

Yet we looked threatening with Rambo and Thommo came on.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:12 am

nerd wrote:
DaveSheffield wrote:

All those players, Muntari excepted, looked pretty average in that game. I mean, Johnson had to resort to repeatedly hacking Ledley down.

You'd figure a manager would get an underdog side motivated for that game. You'd figure a manager would want to go for it in his selection for that one off game.

You fail to mention Jones went with an immobile Hasslebaink up front with no Rambo.

Yet we looked threatening with Rambo and Thommo came on.

I thought we came quite close to causing an upset TBH!

We gave a way a soft goal, Loovens was unlucky to have his effort ruled out and I don't think Pompey caused us too many problems!

I also didn't think Thommo looked much better than Hasselbaink and as I said in my earlier post, Ramsey had been pulling out of tackles in games leading up to the final and that's porobably why he didn't start! :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:42 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Luke, Someone is going to find the newspaper it was in.

I dont agree thats its only this season that he should only be Judged on this season.
Who signed and(some will say) wasted BIG MONEY on the following Fowler/Eddie Johnson/Hasslebank/Sinclair/Feeney(My own mate) ect and gave away for virtually nothing players like Alexandra ?

All managers make bad signings and this were costly but he also made a lot of good signings that were later sold on for good money which would counteract that.

IMO DJ's best seasons was his first season when he done a remarkable job as I really felt we could easily have gone down that season after selling any players we could.
and last season when literally the club was falling apart, no money, in and out of admin. I remember a few games DJ options in midfield was Taiwo, Wildig and Rae, now thats not even league one standard.

this year he now has the players and the quality which I dont believe we have had before so he can not have any excuses.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:04 pm

Forever Blue wrote:I have just been given this by someone to do with the Club, But if I am Honest I am not 100% Sure if the Following Quote was Def Said .
Can anyone find out and Also the exact date Dave Jones took over ? :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

ahhh didn't he say quote
"if a manager cant get his team up a division in three years, then he needs to move on"
think that was a comment when he gave a press conference when he first took the job....

may 2005

Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:41 pm

ive come to a conclusion , Dave Sheffield is Dave Jones in disguise! Only Jones could come up with so many laughable excuses for abject failure!!!! How anyone can defend our manager after the things he has done this season amazes me! Most people only know what they see on the pitch, and thats bad enough, but in time all of the stuff you dont see will come out and you will be amazed at just how inept, paranoid, and arrogant this man is! Even if we go up I want this man out of the club, if he managed us in the premier league we would be an embarassment!

Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:29 pm

Stokesy wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:I have just been given this by someone to do with the Club, But if I am Honest I am not 100% Sure if the Following Quote was Def Said .

ahhh didn't he say quote

may 2005

Cheers :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:30 pm

Jimbo27 wrote:ive come to a conclusion , Dave Sheffield is Dave Jones in disguise! Only Jones could come up with so many laughable excuses for abject failure!!!! How anyone can defend our manager after the things he has done this season amazes me! Most people only know what they see on the pitch, and thats bad enough, but in time all of the stuff you dont see will come out and you will be amazed at just how inept, paranoid, and arrogant this man is! Even if we go up I want this man out of the club, if he managed us in the premier league we would be an embarassment!

:lol: :lol: :ayatollah:

I hope Dave from Sheffield finally introduces himself at Sheffield Utd Away on Tuesday April 12th :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: