Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:51 pm

Over the last 6 years second place points in the championship were:

2009-10 = 91
2008-09 = 83
2007-08 = 79
2006-07 = 86
2005-06 = 90
2004-05 = 87

add all those points together to get 516 - divide that by 6yrs to get the average points for 2nd place at 86 pts.

Cardiff currently sit at 62pts in 4th place. with 27pts left to play for - winning all those games would give us 89 pts.

Now records, stats, reality and common sense says we will NOT win all those games. So lets say we win Half of the games earning 12pts and draw 2 games earning 2pts meaning we will (more probably) end up on around 76 pts. (if we assume 3 losses in the remaining games to play)

there will still be 4 points available if we can win the games i marked as a draw, and still 9 pts available from the games I maked as a loss. thats 13 pts. Now lets say its reasonable to maybe convert 1/4 of those points at a minimum so earning us another 3/4 pts. We can more than likely earn ourselves a finshing points tally of:

80pts. (realistically) with the run in we have in remaining fixtures!

We have to remember that teams around us will be playing each other and nicking points off one and other too. So as long as we buck our ideas up I personally believe we can get automatic promotion on 80pts this season.

This does not take into account what the other teams do in reality but it is my personal view on a likely scenario.

Come on lads, stick together - and lets do this! :ayatollah:

Norwich still have to play Bristol(H), Hull (A), Scunthorpe (H), Swansea (A), Forest (H), Watford (A), Ipswich (A), Derby (H), Portsmouth (A), Coventry (H), Tougher fixtures than us IMO.

Swansea still play Forest (H), Preston (A), Norwich (H), Hull (H), Burnley (A) Portsmouth (A), Ipswich (H), Millwall (A), Sheff Utd (H). Tougher than us again. IMO.

these are the main threats in my opinion for second spot. (as well as us of course)

Re: Interesting Stat. (my view)

Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:09 pm

Merlin wrote:Over the last 6 years second place points in the championship were:

2009-10 = 91
2008-09 = 83
2007-08 = 79
2006-07 = 86
2005-06 = 90
2004-05 = 87

add all those points together to get 516 - divide that by 6yrs to get the average points for 2nd place at 86 pts.

Cardiff currently sit at 62pts in 4th place. with 27pts left to play for - winning all those games would give us 89 pts.

Now records, stats, reality and common sense says we will NOT win all those games. So lets say we win Half of the games earning 12pts and draw 2 games earning 2pts meaning we will (more probably) end up on around 76 pts. (if we assume 3 losses in the remaining games to play)

there will still be 4 points available if we can win the games i marked as a draw, and still 9 pts available from the games I maked as a loss. thats 13 pts. Now lets say its reasonable to maybe convert 1/4 of those points at a minimum so earning us another 3/4 pts. We can more than likely earn ourselves a finshing points tally of:

We have to remember that teams around us will be playing each other and nicking points off one and other too. So as long as we buck our ideas up I personally believe we can get automatic promotion on 80pts this season.

This does not take into account what the other teams do in reality but it is my personal view on a likely scenario.

It's different this year merlin

there isnt the Newcastles and West Broms of last year who dominated the division

This season everyone is beating everyone and points are being dropped left, right and center
:ayatollah:

Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:25 pm

glammy74 wrote:
Merlin wrote:Over the last 6 years second place points in the championship were:

2009-10 = 91
2008-09 = 83
2007-08 = 79
2006-07 = 86
2005-06 = 90
2004-05 = 87

there isnt the Newcastles and West Broms of last year who dominated the division

This season everyone is beating everyone and points are being dropped left, right and center

I have discredited QPR who will run away with top spot - we are fighting for second place. I have also assumed we will lose games, and posted remaining fixtures of the teams i believe will challenge us for the second spot. Because all the top teams have tougher fixtures than us I understand that they will nick points of one and other as I already mentioned above, we play against mid to lower table teams hence we have more chance of picking up points on that basis as long as we can play to our potential!

We have the opportunity to earn more than 80 pts easily tbh, but I still think we will drop some points. (as accounted for above!) Tonight Bristol can do us a huge favour by picking up ANYTHING out of the game against Norwich!

Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:28 pm

Merlin wrote:
glammy74 wrote:

2009-10 = 91
2008-09 = 83
2007-08 = 79
2006-07 = 86
2005-06 = 90
2004-05 = 87

I have discredited QPR who will run away with top spot - we are fighting for second place. I have also assumed we will lose games, and posted remaining fixtures of the teams i believe will challenge us for the second spot. Because all the top teams have tougher fixtures than us I understand that they will nick points of one and other as I already mentioned above, we play against mid to lower table teams hence we have more chance of picking up points on that basis as long as we can play to our potential!

We have the opportunity to earn more than 80 pts easily tbh, but I still think we will drop some points. (as accounted for above!) Tonight Bristol can do us a huge favour by picking up ANYTHING out of the game against Norwich!

i agree i will let norwich have a point, but nothing else

Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:47 pm

Norwich pulling the strings now :(