Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Mach Report Cardiff v Barnsley 14 March "

Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:50 pm

Obviously the £10 incentive to bring a friend if you are an ambassador seemed to work. The corner stands of the Canton were filled which is a usual sight. Perhaps this added to the nervousness of the occasion. How pathetic.

Cardiff fielded the same team that failed to bring any back from Palace in mid week. The talk was that Bothroyd should be dropped for Parkin but all of us knew that was not going to happen. There is always a chance things might change for Jay. Eyes were on the guy and the apprehension in his face showed. In fact it showed in all the faces of the players. Next game I recommend all us fans stay away. This will have two effects, one it will take all the nervousness away from the players and two give DJ the perfect excuse if his squad fails again that the fans were not there to get behind the team.

Onto the game. Well shall we skip the first 20 minutes. Why because I’m pretty sure it was a training session more than a competitive game. The visiting Barnsley team must have though Christmas came early. They don’t have a very good record away, only one point from nine games is it? So coming to Cardiff to play a team going for an auto place must have been a daunting task for them. I’m sure their bench must have checked that their coach brought them to the right place.

So it was 20 minutes of nothing and that being generous. Then it was one moment of pure magic. 25 yards from the Barnsley goal JET collected a pass and had to lob the ball over a defender to Whitts. Whitts being in space set himself up for one of his trademark volleys that have not been that successful lately. Also having missed that penalty Tuesday night who would have thought he had the confidence to have a go. Well he did and what a strike it was. The ball stayed low and the volley was hard as it screamed into the net leaving the Barnsley keeper no chance. Perhaps the goal of the season for us, don’t bet against it.

So would that settle the team down? Well straight away the answer was no as Barnsley nearly equalised from the kick off. From what looked like a harmless attack they hit the post. The defence of Hudson and Keinan watched as a Barnsley striker set up his partner whose shot clipped the post.
Cardiff then suffered a major blow as the busy Chopra went down chasing a pass from McPhail. It was a sad sight to see him stretchered off with a handspring injury.
Four minutes later it got worse for Cardiff as poor defender allowed the visitors to equalise. Another set up allowed the Barnsley substitute Andy Grey from 20 yards to send a powerful low shot towards the Cardiff goal. Bywaters managed to get his fingers to the ball but was unable to keep the shot out.

Cardiff responded after the restart and some nice work between Bellamy and JET forced a good save from the visiting keeper. Moments later the lacklustre Jay finally had a go at goal and from 25 yards sent a powerful shot that just went wide.

Just before half time Cardiff had a penalty call turned down. Whitts found Bellamy making a run into the area and his pass was perfect. With only the keeper to beat Bellamy went down from a challenge. What looked like a stonewall penalty was waved away by the referee. I’m not sure if this is biasness getting in but some referee decisions lately just don’t seem to be quite right.

The referee brought the half to an end with the game all square.

It was the visitors who started lively for the second half and had the first chance. From a deep cross from the left one of their strikers had a clear chance of putting his team in the lead. However he could not quite head down the cross as the ball went safely over the bar to the relief of the home fans.
Cardiff then started to take control of the game after this close miss. Jay picked up a ball inside the Barnsley area and managed to turn his marker. With the goalkeeper only to beat, although it was a narrow angle he had two choices, to shoot or pass to a waiting Bellamy inside the 6 yard area. He chose to shoot and the ball went well wide.

Moments later Jay had another chance as substitute Burke made a run down the right wing and went a teasing cross in. The cross reached Jay who was waiting on the far post. He did well to force the ball towards goal and on a reasonable day the ball would have gone in but when does reason cone into it at CCS. The Barnsley keeper somehow kept the ball out and his defence managed to scramble it clear.

Cardiff continued to press for the goal they desperately needed . The next chance fell to Bellamy who working well with Jay collected a back heel from the centre forward and found himself with only the keeper to beat. However his powerful shot hit the underneath of the keeper and the ball bounced away from the goal for a corner. The despair in the crowd could be felt.

It was all Cardiff now with most of the chances coming down the Burke wing. Another of his crosses was met by Hudson who headed just wide. Moments later Oli, on for JET, went wide. Then Cardiff finally got the breakthrough on the 84th minute.

The productive Burke once again beat his marker and went a cross hurling towards the far post. This time instead of seeing a Cardiff head stretching for the ball, the Isreali Keinan seemed to have all the time in the world as he casually met the cross and perfectly placed it into the net. The delight and relief amongst the Cardiff faithful could be felt all around the ground.

From the restart and just like the first goal Barnsley nearly got the equaliser. A cross from the right was met by an unmarked forward who could only head the ball over. The signs were there and de ja vu was about to come a reality. Just like the first goal Cardiff gave their lead away minutes later as from a free kick Andy Grey form the visitors got his second to silence the Cardiff crowd. He was once again left unmarked as he had the easiest of chances to head pass Bywater.

The referee brought the game to an end and the home support was devastated.
Summing up. Just want to say one thing really. I left the ground disappointed, frustrated and angry, just like most. Then as I am trying to get over it out comes Jones with his comments about it being nervous and in his pathetic way pointing towards the supporters. I’m getting to the stage where I don’t want us to go up just to get rid of this guy. I know I should not think that but that is how it is making me feel.

Re: " Mach Report Cardiff v Barnsley 14 March "

Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:49 pm

Cheers Ian :ayatollah: :ayatollah: , Sadly another Disappointing game to Report on.

Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:59 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:I left the ground disappointed, frustrated and angry, just like most. Then as I am trying to get over it out comes Jones with his comments about it being nervous and in his pathetic way pointing towards the supporters. I’m getting to the stage where I don’t want us to go up just to get rid of this guy. I know I should not think that but that is how it is making me feel.

couldnt agree more.some of the pompous remarks he's been making lately are f*cking atrocious and its quite clear there is absolutely no respect for the fans from that scouse c**t.

Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:00 am

Im amazed people dont think the ground felt nervous? ive been saying this for weeks, probably months and it can clearly be seen by some of the players looking for easy passes. They see the likes of witts going for a killer pass and when it doesnt come off he gets stick so next time they just done try it.

Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:43 am

2blue2handle wrote:Im amazed people dont think the ground felt nervous? ive been saying this for weeks, probably months and it can clearly be seen by some of the players looking for easy passes. They see the likes of witts going for a killer pass and when it doesnt come off he gets stick so next time they just done try it.

I cant agree. Whitts was not nervous when he hit his killer strike and that was not an easy shot to make especially after his recent penalty miss. So to say the players are going for the easy passes and wont try anything because of the nervous feeling at the ground is nonsense.

Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:44 am

2blue2handle wrote:Im amazed people dont think the ground felt nervous? ive been saying this for weeks, probably months and it can clearly be seen by some of the players looking for easy passes. They see the likes of witts going for a killer pass and when it doesnt come off he gets stick so next time they just done try it.

I cant agree. Whitts was not nervous when he hit his killer strike and that was not an easy shot to make especially after his recent penalty miss. So to say the players are going for the easy passes and wont try anything because of the nervous feeling at the ground is nonsense.

Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:49 am

just another bullshit excuse to deflect away from the fact that hes failing to do his job properly!!
TERRY BURTON'S BARMY ARMY!!

Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:37 am

milly44 wrote:just another bullshit excuse to deflect away from the fact that hes failing to do his job properly!!
TERRY BURTON'S BARMY ARMY!!

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:05 pm

Im with you 2blue. I also think the atmos has felt nervous for me since and incuding the jacks game.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:01 am

Hehe someone just pointed out I said it was a handspring injury to Chopra. I really meant hamstring and am all sure you all knew what I meant.

Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:32 pm

Ian, Really looking Forward to Your Millwall Match Report :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: