Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

FAI Marines or former marines

Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:25 pm

Just got layed off work, and too proud to go on benifits so im joining marines in what way has it benifited you guys.

Re: FAI Marines or former marines

Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:48 pm

Joining navy myself, gotta go through officer training though, bricking it! Best of luck though mate marine selection is def the toughest. What does fai mean?

Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:50 pm

lagerlewis wrote:Just got layed off work, and too proud to go on benifits so im joining marines in what way has it benifited you guys.

Can only speak from the perspective of a Father of one mate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66FQA5GuITI

5.00 in mate... sums it up as far as my one is concerned, hes out on his Afghan hols
again now but had a proper chat before he left. Basically he wouldnt swop being a Royal
Marine for ANY job in the world right now. He absolutely loves the Corps. He loves being a
Royal Marine, best of the best!

If you get through training the most important thing you will benefit from is that it
will change your mindset forever. You will never accept defeat, you will never know when
your beaten. You will be better than the average bloke.

Watch that whole series on You Tube feller.

Best of luck to you, going by the 12 months of pain my lad went through.. your gonna need it :D :ayatollah:

Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:16 pm

Is it the Royal Marine Commando's your joining?

If so, I've no experience personally, but I know it's all about mind over matter, and being a complete team player. Really tough training but you come out a better person :ayatollah:

Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:30 pm

lagerlewis wrote:Just got layed off work, and too proud to go on benifits so im joining marines in what way has it benifited you guys.

Send me a PM mate, im currently training people to go into the forces, done 23 yrs myself, if i can help... :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:10 pm

supercoops wrote:

Send me a PM mate, im currently training people to go into the forces, done 23 yrs myself, if i can help... :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

are you? I'm considering joining the forces too

Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:33 pm

My mates lad passed out of Lympstone a few weeks back.

2 miles left on his 30 miler he couldnt see, his knee had exploded, poison
from an infection pumping round his body. The Doctor ordered them to pull
him out but the C.O who happened to be doing the 30 with them said let
him go on. He finished it 15 minutes late. Technically a fail. No way were they
making him do it again... seeing as he spent the next 10 days in intensive
care!!!... so he got his green lid! :ayatollah:

He's only 5ft 6"... what a f*cking bloke though eh.. heart of a lion!!

Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:44 pm

Best job you will ever do, im still in after 6 yrs , love the job ,love the lifestyle . trainings cheeky at times but when you pass out and get your green lid its worth it. plus you get most weekends off unless on ops hence i have a season ticket.DO IT :ayatollah:

Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:45 pm

FOOTSOLDIER wrote:Best job you will ever do, im still in after 6 yrs , love the job ,love the lifestyle . trainings cheeky at times but when you pass out and get your green lid its worth it. plus you get most weekends off unless on ops hence i have a season ticket.DO IT :ayatollah:

Where r u mate?

Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:47 pm

taffyapple wrote:
FOOTSOLDIER wrote:Best job you will ever do, im still in after 6 yrs , love the job ,love the lifestyle . trainings cheeky at times but when you pass out and get your green lid its worth it. plus you get most weekends off unless on ops hence i have a season ticket.DO IT :ayatollah:

Where r u mate?

COMMANDO HELICOPTER FORCE (YEOVILTON)

Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:51 pm

FOOTSOLDIER wrote:
taffyapple wrote:

Where r u mate?

COMMANDO HELICOPTER FORCE (YEOVILTON)

His best mate is out there now on the choppers larging it in his oakleys
with a big f**k off machine gun :lol:

Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:57 pm

taffyapple wrote:My mates lad passed out of Lympstone a few weeks back.

Taffyapple
thats what sets them apart, that young lad will go to be a great comando for sure, the mind set is obviously there, just like youre lad who is now a corpral, no easy feat in the marines...well done to all, makes you feel proud... :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:36 pm

I'm considering joining the Royal Welsh. I've been speaking to people from the forces who attended careers days at my college (Pencoed) and i mentioned the TA's and if it would help before joining the regulars...one of them said yes he told me he was in the TA for 2 and a half years before moving to the royal corps of signals. another one who i spoke to from the Royal regiment of artillery told me not to bother and go straight to the regulars...

what should i do? :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:22 pm

Nathan
sent you a pm, hope the advice is what you asked for. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:55 pm

One way to do it would be to join the Royal Engineers before doing commando training, get a trade AND a silly green hat ;)

Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:15 pm

andi_cardiff wrote:One way to do it would be to join the Royal Engineers before doing commando training, get a trade AND a silly green hat ;)

Better still,go 9. :) :ayatollah:

Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:26 pm

My son and future son-in-law are in the Signals.
Good luck too all in the forces :ayatollah:

Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:35 pm

Bridgend_bluebird wrote:I'm considering joining the Royal Welsh. I've been speaking to people from the forces who attended careers days at my college (Pencoed) and i mentioned the TA's and if it would help before joining the regulars...one of them said yes he told me he was in the TA for 2 and a half years before moving to the royal corps of signals. another one who i spoke to from the Royal regiment of artillery told me not to bother and go straight to the regulars...

Go regs mate

Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:45 pm

abf9 wrote:
Bridgend_bluebird wrote:I'm considering joining the Royal Welsh. I've been speaking to people from the forces who attended careers days at my college (Pencoed) and i mentioned the TA's and if it would help before joining the regulars...one of them said yes he told me he was in the TA for 2 and a half years before moving to the royal corps of signals. another one who i spoke to from the Royal regiment of artillery told me not to bother and go straight to the regulars...

Go regs mate

yeah id give you the same advice, just stick with the regulars mate wouldnt bother with the reserves if your looking for a full career. My advice if your looking for a bit of 'forces' experience before you join volunteer at one of the cadet forces it will look good on your cv and a bit of knowledge before you join wont hurt anybody.

Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:06 pm

supercoops wrote:Nathan
sent you a pm, hope the advice is what you asked for. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Ye i received it mate, cheers really appreciated it :ayatollah:

Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:14 am

taffyapple wrote:My mates lad passed out of Lympstone a few weeks back.

:ayatollah:

That's a salute! :ayatollah: