Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff City Clothing

Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:41 pm

Hi all,

Just wanted to introduce myself on here. Before asking for a favour.

I'm a lifelong City fan and although my days involved in the darker side of football are long gone, I still dress as a football casual and still enjoy the lifestyle and clothes that go with it. Since the birth of my son a couple of years ago, it got really difficult to keep dressing in the casual way, as I had done for the past 10 years or so. So I started looking for cheaper ways to express myself as a football casual and someone that would give anything for his club.

It was really difficult to find anything decent to wear, the range in the City club shop was really limited and poor quality. So that got me thinking, why not design my own Cardiff City Clothing range?

A year later and I've finally got the money together to do it, bought the equipment, setup the website [almost ready to launch] and produced around 10 designs to initially go on T-Shirts. With a view to start in the next 2-3 months.

I want the clothes to be very high quality materials, durable, with attention to detail and have character. But aside from that I want the brand to represent the fans that do Carlisle away on a Tuesday night or those that have to scrimp and scrape in January to go to Reading away in the FA Cup.

I've shared a couple of designs below to get some feedback, but because the clothes will really represent all of us - what I'd love you guys to do, is be able to give me some feedback on exactly what type of things you'd like to see on a clothing range representing us as the 12th man and life and soul of our football club.

Any feedback, good or bad is greatly appreciated. I've posted this here as I read this messageboard every day from work and know that there are countless like minded city boys on here!

Thanks again for your time.

Re: Cardiff City Clothing

Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:48 pm

excellent t/shirts and i would be very intrested if you did the likes of robin friday, tony evans, adrian alston, kennor, billy hardy etc etc!
Last edited by AHERNE on Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:49 pm

I'm not into the casual range but I do like the idea of having the players full picture on the shirt. I would buy one just for a monument like, perhaps work up to the whole team.

Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:53 pm

Fair play to you. Best of luck with it. Put me down for one!

IN general football fans are rightly pi$$ed off with the major brands ripping them off with crazy prices. Can't remember that last time I saw something from si or cp and thought, yeah that's worth the money. Hundred quid for a Stone Island polo? Thanks but no thanks.

Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:03 pm

Thanks alot for your feedback AHERNE. It means alot. The T shirts are screen printed using high quality inks which are then heat sealed into the fabric for durability and sharpness. Quite a lot of work goes into making them, initially I can only afford to have about 10 T shirt designs in production, but my dream is for things to take off and then I can start making lots and lots of different designs including Robin Friday, Tony Evans etc

In addition to the Legends shirts, I 've also got other designs, representing CCFC - some are iconic, some are nostalgic, some funny and then there are some that will be controversial. If you have any more ideas, I'd love to hear from you.

Bakedalasker I'm chuffed to hear that you'd consider buying them, I've taken the long route and got the money together to buy my own equipment, whilst this has been hard work - its meant I can keep the cost right down to between 14 - 20 pound a t shirt which is a really good price as they will be high quality screen printed clothes.

Partly what you said, is partly the reason why I get so much enjoyment from doing this, its like we all have football programs, DVD's, old newspapers and momento's we put away for memories. But to bring these memories to life on clothing and be able to wear those memories every day - it just excites me. :D I've got some great stuff of Ninian Park I want to turn into designs, its just difficult because of the level of detail Ninian Park had. Again, thanks a lot for taking the time to give me feedback, if you've got any other ideas - I'd really appreciate them.

Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:07 pm

wexford wrote:Fair play to you. Best of luck with it. Put me down for one!

IN general football fans are rightly pi$$ed off with the major brands ripping them off with crazy prices. Can't remember that last time I saw something from si or cp and thought, yeah that's worth the money. Hundred quid for a Stone Island polo? Thanks but no thanks.

This is the problem I have mate, didn't really appreciate just how expensive the clothes were until I had my son. By buying my own equipment, I've realised just how massive the markup's are for most clothes produced. The Denim material used to produce Evisu Jeans costs 4 pound per metre to produce, they sell their Jeans for between 110-300 a pair!

As I said above, I'll be able to keep my costs right down and I also plan on donating money from each item sold to the Fred Keenor appeal.

Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:45 pm

Love the prints, especially the Kava one.
Personally I would prefer them without the number on the back so they would be a bit more understated and subtle.

Nice one & Good luck :ayatollah:

Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:47 pm

griff105 wrote:Love the prints, especially the Kava one.
Personally I would prefer them without the number on the back so they would be a bit more understated and subtle.

Nice one & Good luck :ayatollah:

Thats really useful feedback. Appreciate that mate. Think I will definately produce the T-Shirts with and without the back detail now. They are a lot easier to make without the back detail.

Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:52 pm

Brilliant, where can we buy these and how much?

Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:13 pm

Billy Hunt. wrote:Brilliant, where can we buy these and how much?

Thanks a lot Billy, appreciate that mate. They are in the process of being produced at the moment mate and will be available for sale in the next 2-3 months from a website I'm setting up.

Thanks again for your interest. if you've got any ideas for things you'd like to see put on T shirts just let me know and I'll try and come up with the design.

Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:14 pm

I really like the Kav shirt. Also like the earlier idea about some without numbers.

When is your website launch?

Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:15 pm

Claire wrote:I really like the Kav shirt. Also like the earlier idea about some without numbers.

When is your website launch?

Just seen your reply to Billy!

Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:26 pm

Hi Claire, website is pretty much good to go. I'll also be putting the designs onto ladies wear. Only probably is, for each T shirt's side I have to get a stencil manufactured. For example the Nathan Blake stencil costs almost 100 pound as its 4 different layers just to make up the figure of Nathan, because ladieswear has a different cut and size, i'll need to get new stencils made before I can screen print them. So they will also be coming soon, as soon as I'll use whatever money I make to invest in expanding the range for everyone. Ladies, Children, smallers and + sizes etc.

if you have any ideas on what may appeal to female city fans, I'd love to hear from you. Although my missus follows Cardiff and has come to a fair few games with me, she's more into the occasion than the culture.

Thanks alot for your interest. :D

Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:54 pm

Brilliant designs you have there mate, I for one would be very interested in purchasing any of the above!

I also agree about maybe having some with, and some without the names on the back, as im a fan of the more 'subtle' look, although I am sure both will sell well!

All the best! :ayatollah:

Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:22 pm

Great ideas mate, good luck with the business and I really hope it works out for you

Would also love the Alston, Buchanan, Friday era personally when funds permit, also something "Cardiff" for those of us 000's miles away from home

Good luck once again and make sure you post the website or get a link from Annis to it

Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:22 pm

Bluenutts wrote:Brilliant designs you have there mate, I for one would be very interested in purchasing any of the above!

I also agree about maybe having some with, and some without the names on the back, as im a fan of the more 'subtle' look, although I am sure both will sell well!

All the best! :ayatollah:

Thanks alot for the feedback mate. Just working on some new designs now. If theres anything specific you'd like to see on clothing just let me know.

Even if its an iconic city moment you'd like captured. :D

Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:32 pm

i,m in for one,advertise on this mb when orders are to be taken,good luck :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:48 pm

Word of advice you might want to reconsider the name 12th man as there is another clothing range out with the same name... Great idea tho :ayatollah:

Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:48 pm

Some good stuff there.

Will buy a couple for Majorca this Summer :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:51 pm

look damn fine, i'll certainly be ordering one.

personally i'd also prefer without the name and number on the back, increases the recognition factot amongst other old school fans...

would like to see the likes of dwyer, stant, lynex etc included too if possible

Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:24 pm

SingaporeBlue wrote:Great ideas mate, good luck with the business and I really hope it works out for you

Would also love the Alston, Buchanan, Friday era personally when funds permit, also something "Cardiff" for those of us 000's miles away from home

Good luck once again and make sure you post the website or get a link from Annis to it

Thanks a lot for the feedback mate. I've got hundreads of ideas floating around in my head and all the money made will be used to make more stencils of more periods in the history of our club.

You've also made a great point about our exciled fans. I'll have to think of ways I can get creative, to represent them in some of the designs and also make specific designs that will appeal to you guys thousands of miles away. :ayatollah: :D :ayatollah:

Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:25 pm

lostcityboy wrote:i,m in for one,advertise on this mb when orders are to be taken,good luck :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thanks a lot mate, working hard at the moment to get everything in place to start selling. I'll keep everyone posted. :D

Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:26 pm

CCFC1990 wrote:Word of advice you might want to reconsider the name 12th man as there is another clothing range out with the same name... Great idea tho :ayatollah:

Cheers mate, didn't realise anyone else was using the name. I'll have to look into it in a bit more detail.

Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:30 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Some good stuff there.

Will buy a couple for Majorca this Summer :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Appreciate that Annis and thanks a lot for letting me use the message board for this. Its why I love this board!

Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:32 pm

Bazza wrote:look damn fine, i'll certainly be ordering one.

personally i'd also prefer without the name and number on the back, increases the recognition factot amongst other old school fans...

would like to see the likes of dwyer, stant, lynex etc included too if possible

Hi Bazza,

I've got a Phil Stant legends design made up. It might not be one of the first I start selling, but I definately want to get it made up asap as Stant is one of my favourite all time players as he worked his nuts off and was so passionate for the club! If theres any other players you fancy seeing, just let me know mate. :D

Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:34 pm

I think what your doing is excellent mate. If I was to wear CCFC branded clothing id look for quality fabrics as you said, subtle qualities and distinctive trademarks on the garment and a perfect cut to warrant a high end RRP. Chelsea FC have a great clothing line and have some brilliant shirts, polo shirts and acc's. I like this t-shirt above, the graphic tee above reminds me a lot of the street artist Banksy and his trademark style, i love it. The cut has to be perfect though, I think the name and number on the back cheapens it substantially however.

Keep them coming! Is the site up and running yet?

Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:41 pm

looking back maybe I was aiming too high, I can see you are just starting something you are looking to become lucrative eventually. I think you have a perfect platform to push on from...id defo be looking at getting a t shirt off of you as soon as they go to print.

Have produced any graphics for various other garments?? Be brilliant to see.

Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:51 pm

A stenci/outline of the picture of Keenor with a fag thats on the CD cover would rule! :ayatollah:

Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:27 pm

good luck mate, would definitely get a couple of these for myself and my lad..

the quality of the stuff in the club shop is very poor

Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:10 pm

baseboy007 wrote:looking back maybe I was aiming too high, I can see you are just starting something you are looking to become lucrative eventually. I think you have a perfect platform to push on from...id defo be looking at getting a t shirt off of you as soon as they go to print.

Have produced any graphics for various other garments?? Be brilliant to see.

Cheers baseboy, some really good ideas in there. The designs are Banksy inspired, so I am chuffed you picked up on that mate! In true banksy style there are also some provocative / controversial city designs I've produced, but might just started off with 1 initially and see how people feel about it.

I havent done any other work for clothing, but have been designing various stuff for over 10 years. Mainly corporate and web related stuff so this type of design is so exciting for me and I really enjoy it as it allows me to work to combine three of my biggest passions. Cardiff, Clothes and Design.

I've been working towards getting this stuff off the ground for over a year now and its just got to the point where the website is almost done, the designs are done and the stencils are being manufactured.

Thanks again mate, if you have anymore ideas, it would be great to hear from you.