Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: " Why do you support Cardiff?? "

Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:50 pm

Me old man was a city fan and he took me to a city vs the dark side of port talbot game in the mid 70's. Need i say anymore.!!!!! :old: :old: :old: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:07 pm

I'm from the valleys,my best mate in school ,his grandfather went to the 1927 cup final so we sort of followed his lead.

Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:36 pm

I support Cardiff as its the city of my birth and its the capital of Wales, and I would love to see my City of Cardiff play at the top and be seen all over the world to let people know more about Wales our history and maybe come here to visit the best country ( apart from the weather) in the World . :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:08 pm

Born and bred in the valleys (Mountain Ash) which was mainly a rugby town :( as I`ve never been a big rugby fan only football, and Cardiff City are my local team, I first went to watch Cardiff in the late Seventies with my Fathers mate and his son where we stood in the lower grandstand (canton side) from that day on I was addicted and then when I got older, early 80s started going down with school mates who I still go down and away with to this day. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:00 am

That's a fair question ! My Mrs. cousin lives in St.Mellons, So every time she goes visiting I had a choice, do nothing, or go shopping , then Chasetown played Cardiff, I got asked down to a match (St. Davids day 2008) v Leicester,met some new friends, amd that was it !!!!! Made loads more mates, been to a fair few games, got a stadiim card, and will be there when I can good times or bad, :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:46 am

Well when I'm not stuck up north, they're my local professional football team, it's that simple.

Though I suppose the real answer to that question is "f**k knows, probably I've got a death wish :shock: "

Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:37 am

Got interested as a kid. Couldn't watch many games until I was 16 as played on saturdays so limited to evening games, the odd saturday and the holiday matches. First season ticket was 1977-78 season. Haven't looked back since then but have to be honest that I did give up going at that time when we nose dived towards the conference. As did many thousands as the crowds were dire then.

Cannot believe that we are now getting 20,000+ every game, and have had players with premiership and international quality since we got back to the second tier.

Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:22 pm

Im from cwmbran , 16 years old my first city game was watford last season it was £1 a ticket and my best mate (city through and through) was always going on about it since i could remember so i said i'd go been hooked ever since bought a season ticket for this season and renewed for next season done 6 aways this year not missing one next year bloooobirds !! :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:56 pm

Although I have lived in Kidwelly (West Wales) for a long time, I am Caerphilly born & Cardiff bred !! My Dad took me to my 1st City game back in 1963, have always been a fanatic Bluebird since then . Obviously there are a lot of Jack supporters around these parts,but to be honest I would rather see them support Swansea than wear Man U, Chelsea & Arsenal shirts !
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:27 pm

Although I'm from Scotland I went to my first game 18 years ago when visiting family in Wales. Got hooked because of the atmosphere and passion and try to get to between 6 and 9 games a season. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:55 pm

Fantastic post, I wouldnt know where to start, dont want to kill the thread with a 10 pager, im happy to reminisce with this. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :old:

Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:00 pm

Leighton James Dont Like uS wrote:Fantastic post, I wouldnt know where to start, dont want to kill the thread with a 10 pager, im happy to reminisce with this. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :old:

Go on mate, feel free to reminisce. :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:03 pm

Could write a book on this,but basically my dad took me from the age of eight and to me even now thinking about it , going to games in those days with the old man was just magic.

Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:15 pm

born in london
dad used to indoctrinate me with cardiff (he was born there, lived in Cyncoed i think lol soz if i spelt it wrong :lol: )
i ended up goin to the infamous 4-4 draw at posh last season (my birthday coincidentally :ayatollah: :ayatollah: )
been hooked since
and i'm lovin it!

Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:26 pm

Always been football mad since mid 70's. Wales were my number 1 team as a kid, but I kept changing my club team nearly every week for years! Eventually stuck on Everton, with all the Welsh clubs incl. Cewnty as my second teams (I know ALL of the Welsh teams :oops: ) I was only a teenager from the valleys! Eventually City became my second team elite and would eventually would become my number 1 team as I grew older.

First game was in 98 I think vs Mansfield, got the bug soon after. Season ticket holder 3 years running now, all thanks to Zebra Finance! :ayatollah:

Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:33 pm

I'm from Carmarthenshire, but lived in Cardiff from March 1976 to September 2010, and have now returned to Carmarthen. My dad took me to a Welsh Cup final at the Vetch in 1969 to se the side that included Toshack etc. 3-1 to the City. We came up quite a few times after that to Ninian Park to see games; Leicester 2-2 in 70/71 and Palace 1-1 to stay up, last game in 73/74 are just two that I remember. In 1976 my dad became the vicar in Eglwys Dewi Sant in St Andrew's Crescent, and we all moved up to the capital. I thought that I had died and gone to heaven ! Promotion season from the old Third Division. When I took early retirement from Velindre Hospital I moved back west. My dad, sister, niece and nephew all come to games. Just bought my season ticket for next year ! The team has its ups and downs, like any other, but we all support a fantastic club. Jst hope that I live to se CCFC in the top flight, and Wales at a World Cup. :ayatollah:

Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:13 pm

MY OLD MAN 'BIG JACK' BORN AND RAISED IN WYEVERNE ROAD CATHAYS FIRST GAVE ME MY FIRST TASTE OF NINIAN PARK (BOB BANK) IN 1969 WHEN I WAS 9,I'VE LIVED IN BEDWAS/TRETHOMAS ALL MY LIFE AND HAVE LOVED THE CLUB SINCE,I SAW TOSHACK'S HAT-TRICK AGAINST HULL BEFORE HE LEFT FOR LIVERPOOL,WATCHED ALAN WARBOYS SCORE 4 ON HIS DEBUT AGAINST CARLISLE I'M NOT A SEASON TICKET HOLDER,HOWEVER I AM A MINOR SHAREHOLDER AND TRY TO ATTEND AS MANY GAMES AS I CAN,WORK PERMITTING,I AM A VERY PROUD CITY FAN THAT BEARS THE CLUBS NAME ON MY CHEST,I AM, CITY TILL I DIE, :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:18 am

Moved to Cardiff from Newport in 1969 aged 6. My uncle was home from Leicester, so he and my dad took me down the City to watch City V Leicester.

My grandfather in Newport used to take me to Rodney Parade to watch Newport RFC, so I grew up supporting City and Newport RFC, and hating County and Cardiff RFC.

I was one confused kid!

Didn't go for a few years when hooliganism was at it's peak, then started going again with my mates, had another break when I was away at uni, then started going to games again.

To me City is like my first love, whatever happens, wherever I go, first love never dies.

Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:16 am

Coz im fecking mad !!

Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:15 pm

Apologies in advance for this but I have a lot to get off my chest here:

Born and bread in Cardiff and moved away around 13 years ago. Funny thing is though I only really started supporting City from the 2001/2002 season when I was in my early late 20's. I always followed the results and listened to them on the radio but never went down to ninian park. Reason for this...even though I was Cardiff born and bred, I was unfortunate to be brought up through the catholic rugby dominated school system. :evil:

I went Lady Mary High School who wouldn't even put a football team together even though we asked. No, the choice was Rugby or em..Rugby. You had to play it even if you hated the game. There were parts of Cardiff where Football was looked down on and nobody I knew was interested in going down to the football with me.

Oddly this all stopped when I started working in Bristol, the guys I worked with were all football mad and couldn't give a flying you know what about rugby. All the talk was about football, like when you first met a new customer they would say who do you support, then you would get into a good football related conversation. I had escaped Wales and found that outside Wales nobody cares about the Western Mail headlines (Always dominated by rugby). Then a Cardiff fan started working with me in Bristol who had moved back to Cardiff from London and he asked me if I fancied going to a game. My family was a typical rugby family and when I told them I was going down the City they were horrified, seriously can you believe that? Why what was going to happen me? Sadly this was the perception of a lot of people at the time.

The game was against Brighton and I still remember the atmosphere to this day. It was awesome, volatile & loud, we sat in the grandstand, I looked at the grange end and thought thats where we are going next time, it was mad. And that was that, hooked and we must all remember that first game experience, you just cant imagine it until you experience it.

My biggest regret is that I took so long to get down to Ninian Park, like so many people who actually lived in Cardiff the place was perceived by the rugby biased community as no go zone. Now today, thankfully things are changing and despite the BBC and Western Mail's best attempts, football dominates the sporting scene in Cardiff.

Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:09 pm

Simple really, my local team, born in Roath, went to my first game aged 9 in 1976 with my twin brother and my older brother, he was 13, they would probably lock us up now, a 13 year old being responsible for two 9 year olds.

Hooked by the atmosphere and the smell (was it pasties and tobacco, sounds vile but it wasn't) will never get my head around people who do not support their local team if they are over the age of 10, i feel it displays a lack of morale fibre on their part but hey-ho.

Used to love walking down Tudor Road in excitement before the game, and listening to all the police sirens on the way home, wondering what was happening.

Nip into the programme shop before the game.....never bought anything, so not sure why we would go in there but always did, getting turned away from the Bluebird club (not when I was 9 obviously)

I know I sound an old git but it is just not the same anymore........If only I was 9 again

Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:26 pm

Great read, Really Enjoyed it :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:57 pm

Cheers all!!!

Some top responses there!!!

Cardiff City Til I Die

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: