Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Why do you support Cardiff?? "

Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:32 am

Im originally from Broad street a few hundred yards from Ninian Park so had no real choice to support anyone else especially when i could hear the crowd from my bedroom as a little boy, it didnt take long to get hooked.

So why do you support Cardiff, would like to hear reasons why, especially if you live down west (closer to that other team that play in Wales) or over the border, or even further afield.

So lads why Cardiff City???????????????

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: Why do you support Cardiff??

Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:36 am

Although, I'm from the valleys and not a Cardiff boy, my father worked in Cardiff all his working life, he introduced me to the City back in 1958 and the rest is history. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: " Why do you support Cardiff?? "

Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:43 am

always looked out for cities results,but ebbwbluebird took me to ninian few seasons ago.loved the atmosphere and been a season ticket holder ever since.mr mrs reckons im unbearable to be around everytime we lose.She dont understand :D :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:44 am

CreanyCCFC wrote:Im originally from Broad street a few hundred yards from Ninian Park so had no real choice to support anyone else especially when i could hear the crowd from my bedroom as a little boy, it didnt take long to get hooked.

So why do you support Cardiff, would like to hear reasons why, especially if you live down west (closer to that other team that play in Wales) or over the border, or even further afield.

So lads why Cardiff City???????????????

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Born in Roath Cardiff.
I was 7yrs old, in Marshfield Juniors Cardiff, I had already watched My Grandfathers team Bury Town(Shakers)play about 7 or 8 times. Cardiff City players visited the School gave Comps away for the Kids.
My Grandfather was staying down here, He took me the following week v Bolton Wanderers, Local lad Gill Reece Scored, One nil Victory City. about 9,500 Crowd. Stood on the Bob Bank. Loved it, The Atmosphere was Amazing.
I was hooked, following season 1973/74 My Grandfather moved down here and we bought Season tickets, I have Now Renewed it Every Season, Never Fail. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:45 am

Living in the South Wales area, all my school mates were City fans(so unlike today). we all started going when we were about eleven in the 70,s. :old: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:58 am

Lived there as a kid and stated going aged 8 or 9 (73 ish). Moved away but kept supporting. Moved back Bridgend 86 and started going games again. Now live in Cornwall, but still a big supporter. (Theres a few of us down this part of the world !)

In fact, better get my ass in gear and hit the road, as coming up again today ! Not sure if like the late kick offs, but least had a lie in !!!!

Ninian first me thinks.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:58 am

Cardiff born and Cardiff bred.....i was six when my dad took me to ninian park i havnt always been a season ticket holder but i have always followed the bluebirds same as you annis i was hooked from a young age and i got to say the passion for city just burns more as as time goes on blooooooooooooooobirds...... :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:07 am

Cardiff born and Cardiff bred. Born in Canton :ayatollah:

Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:31 am

Born in the Forest Of Dean, just the wrong side of the border, but father welsh and fanatical Bluebird. Taken to first game 70/71 season aged three. Been raised welsh, all my dad's side of the family spread throughout south/west wales but originally from Bridgend. His grandfather followed the City from the 20's onwards. Passed all the joy/pain/heartache/ecstacy to my kids. My son watched his first game aged three... Circle of City life :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:42 am

Born in late 1979 and became aware of Cardiff City's existence through the S.W.Echo in late 1980s. Never really thought much about going until I moved to Bristol, and then became very aware of being a Kairdiff lad as I was living amongst a load of Brizzle. Began to support from afar and go really in to it during 1992/93 season. Went to first match - pre-season friendly vs. Coventry (Cardiff lost but Jason Fowler scored a great goal from distance) and began going regularly to matches during the Koumas season.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:44 am

surroundedbysaxons wrote:Born in the Forest Of Dean, just the wrong side of the border, but father welsh and fanatical Bluebird. Taken to first game 70/71 season aged three. Been raised welsh, all my dad's side of the family spread throughout south/west wales but originally from Bridgend. His grandfather followed the City from the 20's onwards. Passed all the joy/pain/heartache/ecstacy to my kids. My son watched his first game aged three... Circle of City life :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Worked for the District Council in the Forest for 7 years between 1998 - 2005 and I loved it when I used to drive through Broadwell and there was a city flag in someone's bedroom window. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:59 am

I'm from the Valleys & supported Liverpool until I was about 12.

Saw my 1st City game then got hooked, Only 1 team for me now.

Liverpool Man Utd tmoz dont care who wins :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:03 am

Cardiff born-bred. It was a late start for me, in school hardly ever heard of City.

I think first game was against Bolton 87,88 ? Was with a few good lads from Rumney,Trowbridge, St Mellons at the time
and it was a mix of football, drinking, laughing and other entertaining stuff. Must admit that i loved all of the football
scene - Trend,travelling,atmosphere,banter and at the time the trouble.

I was hooked from the first game and although i am losing my interest with the "new football crowd" i will always love
city...."and we will fight for ....... :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:05 am

I am a Barry boy originally and I owe my love of the City to my dear departed Dad. He was the only thing missing when we got to the cup final. I was a regular in the boys enclosure in the Old Grange End during the early 70's and it was magical. I always remember the night we stayed up against Palace in 1974. That was the first time I ventured onto the hallow turf of Ninian Park after the game. :ayatollah:

Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:08 am

Moved to S. Wales from Southampton in 1987 with my job, met and marrIed a born and bred Cardiff girl. I started taking my step son to watch the City at Ninian Park and fell in love with the place and the passion of the fans and soon became totally wrapped up in everything Cardiff City. Went to away games and saw the real hard core of our support and knew I would be Cardiff now till I die.There is something really special about this club and it's fans,it can be a roller coaster ride at times but thats what makes it so addictive.We are so close now to the promised land and I wanna see us get there. BLUE ARMY! :ayatollah:

Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:11 am

Born in Cardiff. 1973.
Lived in Cyncoed for 13 yrs .

My Dad took me to Ninian Park when i was 5yrs old and i loved it, and was hooked.
Ballboy for 6 seasons, moved to South East London when I was 13 to live, but always have and always will support the Bluebirds. Been living out of Wales for 25 years now!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

Welsh Dad, English Mum. But Cardiff City though and through. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:30 am

it's in my genes,

it started about a thousand years before the Romans arrived,

we were called the Silures tribe back then..... with my little pick and shovel i was there. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silures

Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:39 am

Cardiff born, father watched them in the fifties & sixties, grandfather in the fourties, mates in school all supported City. The natural thing to do! :old: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:14 pm

born in grangetown and remember watching then train in the old sports ground by bessemer market in the mid 70s

Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:35 pm

Born in Roath Cardif in CRI Glossop rd Hosp.

My Uncle Took me down Ninian Park from when I was 6 years old that was 37 years ago.

My blood is blue

Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:57 pm

because "I'm CARDIFF, I'M BARMY I'M OFF MY f*cking HEAD!!! :D :ayatollah:

Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:31 pm

My dad took me when I was 4 (1974) but that is less than a blur, 1977 onwards and the memories until 1987 (the beer sets in) are crystal, though we didn't go to every game. First game without my dad was 1983/4 at home to Portsmouth and that was an experience. Portsmouth on the Grange End, Cardiff Casuals/Trendies in the Canton Stand and I was on the Bob bank with what seemed a million skinheads/punks and general nutters (although I became a mod :roll: ).

1987-88 started going with my mates rather than my dad on a regular basis and this was the time that Cardiff City became the most important thing in my life. Between '88 and 2001 Cardiff City meant everything to me, despite being away for 8 years in the RAF. Lots of my RAF mates seemed to lose touch with their mates back home but thanks to Cardiff City it kept me in touch, so I am eternally grateful for that. Didn't actually miss all that many games whilst away. My basic shift was Mon-Fri and I used to take half days leave if City were playing a night game and it's surprising how easy it is to get a flight back from Germany for the weekend. Needless to say I wasted a lot of pretty good wages that I was on.

In 2001 my son was born and it's been a massive thing for him since his first game when he was 4 and we won 6-1 against Crewe. :ayatollah:

Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:38 pm

I'm from Cardiff and I support my local team. :D
When I was a kid, I used to support Man Utd (like the rest of the kids). But when I was 9, my dad took me to my first ever City game, Cardiff City v Ipswich Town (2005). We lost the game 0-1, but since then I've been hooked.

Been a season ticket holder for three years now but instead I go down every week with my mates. :ayatollah:

Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:14 pm

I was born a bluebird and havent looked back since, im a proud cardiffian born into a proud cardiff family, i support the greatest club with the best fans in the world! Its beyond me why anyone wouldnt want to support the MIGHTY CARDIFF CITY F.C :ayatollah:

Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:10 pm

from llanrumney, old man took me in 1975 i think peter sayer scored as we beat spurs. After the game merry hell broke out as they let spurs out first :o
there were loads of rumbles then, used to go with an older bro who had a penchant for borrowing opposition scarves :D
We had 8 Hereford scarves at one time but the whole of my famoly are all Bluebirds, even though im now in exile in norwich i still luv the banter with the carrot crunchers! :ayatollah:

Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:28 pm

Born in Canton and lived the early part of my life in Adamsdown, where my (sadly departed) father worked on the Queen Alex Dock as a foundaryman before joining Cardiff City Fire Brigade in the old Westgate Street Fire Station (now the expensive NCP Car Park)

He first took me to the old stadium in 1968 where we won the game 2-0 and I struggled to see above the old white wall that was at the front of the old Grandstand Enclosure and I remember the atmosphere (it was a night game) as if it was yesterday and I was hooked for life, despite my comprehensive school being more egg-shape orientated

I loved the smell and the atmosphere, as well as the characters around me on the old Bob Bank but that was, to some extent, spoilt by seating (I DO appreciate why that occurred) but we still had some unbelievable times and I wouldn't have got that ANYWHERE else!!

Been a regular ever since and attend as many away games as I can

Will I be disppointed if we don't go up this year?? Of course I will....BUT I'll STILL love my Bluebirds and (with or without my little pick and shovel I'LL BE THERE!!!!

:ayatollah: :old: :ayatollah: :old: :ayatollah: :old: :ayatollah: :old: :ayatollah: :old: :ayatollah: :old:
:old: :ayatollah: :old: :ayatollah: :old: :ayatollah: :old: :ayatollah: :old: :ayatollah: :old: :ayatollah:

Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:38 am

My first ever game was Man U at home in 1960, I was 10 months old. My next game was Millwall home in 1971 and that is the game I remember and got me hooked. A friend from school took me, he was a few years older and the experience was awesome. It was mandator to run on the pitch after the game then and I was under starters gun to do that all the way through the game. Still have clear memories of the day.

Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:13 pm

cause its my local team and proud 2 be rom cardifff simple as that lol :ayatollah:

Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:04 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
CreanyCCFC wrote:Im originally from Broad street a few hundred yards from Ninian Park so had no real choice to support anyone else especially when i could hear the crowd from my bedroom as a little boy, it didnt take long to get
Born in Roath Cardiff.
I was 7yrs old, in Marshfield Juniors Cardiff, I had already watched My Grandfathers team Bury Town(Shakers)play about 7 or 8 times. Cardiff City players visited the School gave Comps away for the Kids.
My Grandfather was staying down here, He took me the following week v Bolton Wanderers, Local lad Gill Reece Scored, One nil Victory City. about 9,500 Crowd. Stood on the Bob Bank. Loved it, The Atmosphere was Amazing.
I was hooked, following season 1973/74 My Grandfather moved down here and we bought Season tickets, I have Now Renewed it Every Season, Never Fail. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

What you still renew in the bob bank?????. LOL!!!! :D :ayatollah:

Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:16 pm

My cousin was playing for Carmarthen Town and got scouted by City in 2001, he got me free tickets to watch City play and I was instantly hooked.