Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

European Court of Justice Gender Ruling

Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:12 pm

Don’t agree with the judgement made today, it’s going to have a knock on effect throughout the industry. Already I’ve calculated that renewals this year at our company have an average increase of 16%.

What’s people’s opinion on this judgement?

Re: European Court of Justice Gender Ruling

Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:14 pm

i think its a load of shite to be fair. if men between 18 and 25 are they ones who cause the most accidents (which they are) then its obvious that everyone else shouldnt pay as much.

i dont understand how it means everyone else will be paying more though?

Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:16 pm

Part of me thinks it is great-women want equality and now have it!

However there is a reason why females have lower premiums and it is simply because they have less accidents.

What frustrates me is the greed of insurance companies-every year i get my renewal in august and every year it is higher (i have full no claims). I then go on a comparison website and find a cheaper quote. I ring my insurer up and they match the cheapest quote.

chris_ccfc wrote:Don’t agree with the judgement made today, it’s going to have a knock on effect throughout the industry. Already I’ve calculated that renewals this year at our company have an average increase of 16%.

What’s people’s opinion on this judgement?

they have wanted equal rights so they have got them:lol:

I think its quite right. You can't pick and choose your quality, if men and women are to be judged equally (which I fully support in other areas such as employment) then you can't base ANY judgement whatsoever on gender.

I don't see why premiums have to rise, why can't men just pay the same as women?

Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:21 pm

paulh_85 wrote:i think its a load of shite to be fair. if men between 18 and 25 are they ones who cause the most accidents

I think that will be the next judgement up before the European courts, young drivers claiming discrimitary premiums based on age ;)

Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:21 pm

Defeats the whole point of employing Risk assessors and managers in insurance. They have now got to recalculate all those risks which take’s time and costs money.

The majority in the insurance industry were dead against this judgement.

Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:18 pm

sheilas wheels may go under :lol: Im in the insurance field and looks like the ramifications may be very costly

Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:23 pm

I'm glad.
Its crazy that had I got a car when I passed my test, the cheapest insurance for pretty much any car would have been around £1800. For some of my friends in sixth form (who were female), their quotes were around £800. How on earth can it be justified charging me £1000 more, just because I was born male? The fact that I am male does not mean I am a worse / more dangerous driver than any woman.

Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:23 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:i think its a load of shite to be fair. if men between 18 and 25 are they ones who cause the most accidents

I think that will be the next judgement up before the European courts, young drivers claiming discrimitary premiums based on age ;)

you may be absolutely right,they are discriminatting :o :ayatollah:

Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:56 pm

Cefnfforestbluebird wrote:sheilas wheels may go under :lol: Im in the insurance field and looks like the ramifications may be very costly

What do you work as matey?

I work for an Insurance broker and it's already a pain in the arse with people complaining, and I agree with you, in fact I'm certain that the ramifications from this judgment will prove to be very costly. Should be interesting reading when the next CII newsletter and Insurance Times are published.