Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

cardiff city parents, Your Childs First game ?

Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:41 pm

how old were your kids when you first took them to see the city and what did they make of the day?

i took my 2 girls to their first game on boxing day last season. aged 6 and 4. dont think they new what to make of it and were bored and very cold midway through the second half. but were excited through the first half. thinking of taking them again soon now they are a year older and when its a bit warmer as they have started asking me about going again.

Re: cardiff city parents

Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:46 pm

no kids for me. but my dad first took me to ninian park vs Portsmouth in 1990. I was 8.

I loved it, but insisted to my Dad that we turn up 4 hours before kick off. :S

Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:58 pm

My one was about 6 when i first took him.......he's now 14 and the canton stand is calling him, he so badly wants to get in there. were in the ninian (old farts) stand, but im o-kay with it.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:17 pm

i was 7 for my first ever game which was liverpool newcastle november 98 but my first cardiff game was cardiff darlo feb 1999 and i was 8 and been hooked since

Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:17 pm

my boy was 6 he is 12 now but the last year he been nagging to change our season tickets to the canton end he wants to be with the older lads. he loves away games allways says the atmosphere is brill another couple of years and he be going with the boys he will not want his old man then :old: :old:

Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:32 pm

My uncle took me to my first game when i was 7 and i took my boy when he was 7 also he loved it and has been going to most home games since

Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:37 pm

my boy 5,my daughter 9,he is now 11 and she nearly 16 :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm

i was 8 when my dad took me to watch city in the enclosure as was then later at 10years old we used to play for the school in the am the the teacher would take us to ninian park in the boys enclosure and told to watch the player who played in your. position and learn alf sherwood in my case great days'Laterly i have been taking my grandaughter since she was 6 she's now 12 and a committed bluebird.shes been to wembly 3 times,moved into a new stadium,things that took me 50 odd years to see.Now my grandson wants to come hes 3 ive taken him to the pre season friendly he enjoyed the day but thanks to some fella sat behind he only knows 2 names chopra his favorite plus someone called dick head.Says it all hes a bit young yet but i might try for a free seat for him

Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Annaise was 3 yrs old, fell asleep .
But by the age of 8, Annaise had been to Ninian Park 51 times and loved it. Been to 15 away games and Wembley twice.
Annaise is Now 10 yrs old and cant stand the New Stadium, in 2 Seasons been there only 5 times.

Alexandra aged 8 months when first visit to Ninian Park,followed the balls every movement.
Loved Ninian Park. Visited it 30 times. Been to 6 away games.
Alexandra Now 5yrs old, Been to New Stadium 9 times but cant stand it.

My Youngest Daughter Tilly Not been yet.

My First Visit,1972/73 Season with My Granddad V Bolton W, City Won 1 Nil, Gil Reece, City born player, over 9,000 crowd. Marshfield Juniors were giving Free Tickets to watch City when the City players visited Our School.
Following Season Bought a Season Ticket, Renewed it EVERY SEASON FOR 38 YRS.
Visited 333 Grounds :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:33 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Annaise was 3 yrs old, fell asleep .
But by the age of 8, Annaise had been to Ninian Park 51 times and loved it. Been to 15 away games and Wembley twice.
Annaise is Now 10 yrs old and cant stand the New Stadium, in 2 Seasons been there only 5 times.

Alexandra aged 8 months when first visit to Ninian Park,followed the balls every movement.

My First Visit,1972/73 Season with My Granddad V Bolton W, City Won 1 Nil, Gil Reece, City born player, over 9,000 crowd. Marshfield Juniors were giving Free Tickets to watch City when the City players visited Our School.

Annis, tickled me that with Alexandra following every movement of the ball lol

333 grounds thats outstanding, any English league grounds you aint done yet?

Re: cardiff city parents, Your Childs First game ?

Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:58 pm

My boy is 9 months old is this to young? :lol:
He can do the :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:00 pm

tangledupinblue wrote:My boy is 9 months old is this to young? :lol:
He can do the :ayatollah:

my boy is 10 months hasnt quite got the hang of it yet he smacks his cheeks :lol:

Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:23 pm

My eldest was sometime in the 1990s v Cambridge Utd - a 0-0 boe fest, but he still loves the city but as he never knows what he might be doing on the weekend he isn't any longer a season ticket holder. My other two was Ajax in the pre-season friendly in 2008/09 and they loved it, but another 0-0... They are now both season ticket holders and go every game and as often as we can away.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:36 pm

My oldest son Alex.s first game was Fulham home 1995, my youngest Joel ,Reading away 2001, Joel still comes with me , was on the forum bus to Forest last Saturday, Alex now lives in london, he,s not into football anymore, just like,s his music :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:41 pm

i took my 5 yr old to a home game about 8 weeks ago,,,,,,, i dont want to talk about it,,,,, i left half time,, :roll:

Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:43 pm

BEEP AHM wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Annaise was 3 yrs old, fell asleep .

Annis, tickled me that with Alexandra following every movement of the ball lol

333 grounds thats outstanding, any English league grounds you aint done yet?

She Honestly did :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I have not been to Burton /Morecambe or Dagenham, in my younger days they would of been done by now :lol: :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:14 pm

Dec 28th 2009.........
Posh away, 4-4, my sons 1st game on his 14th birthday, well at half time he was well chuffed, lol

But just like when my dad first took me back in 1978 at NP, my son is now hooked.
Been to about 7 games since but he wants to go to them all, :D :D

Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:47 pm

My lads 1st game was the 4-0 win over Derby last ever night game at NP. What a night.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:00 pm

Took my daughter when she was just a baby, we had virtually a whole block of the grandstand to ourselves. Shes 14 now and sometimes I think she must annoy the hell out of the quieter supporters by us. Shes missed afew games recently, exams etc and theyve all said how much they miss her, Cardiff's grandstands most vocal fan. :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:13 pm

My daughter was 5 months old when I took her to her first game, Rochdale away. She's been hooked ever since. :lol:

Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:17 pm

perko84 wrote:how old were your kids when you first took them to see the city and what did they make of the day?

i took my 2 girls to their first game on boxing day last season. aged 6 and 4. dont think they new what to make of it and were bored and very cold midway through the second half. but were excited through the first half. thinking of taking them again soon now they are a year older and when its a bit warmer as they have started asking me about going again.

my boy was just 3 years old, now he is 4 and platinum season ticket holder :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:15 pm

First game I took my son was against Leeds utd 2004 he was 4 at the time . Finished 0-0 Andy Campbell missed penalty and it was Sean gregans first game against us after he snubbed us for them from west brom .... any way didn't take Harrison too many games after that coz all he did was play with the bloody seat :lol: never forget that

Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:20 pm

blue nile wrote:My oldest son Alex.s first game was Fulham home 1995, my youngest Joel ,Reading away 2001, Joel still comes with me , was on the forum bus to Forest last Saturday, Alex now lives in london, he,s not into football anymore, just like,s his music :ayatollah:

Your son Alex's first match is the same as my first match. Infact, I've been reading the programme for it lately - I miss the old programmes :(

Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:53 am

September 2008 Derby away was the first game I took my girls. The twins were 7 and the little one 5. Their first game at home was Feb 2009 against Nottingham Forest, it was cold.

The 3 of them have been to other games since then but I would say only one of them, Chloe the second twin, shows any interest.

Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:40 am

My little fella is 4 and is doing his 1st game 2 weeks on Sunday and he's a mascot to make it that little bit special.

Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:51 am

PtB wrote:My little fella is 4 and is doing his 1st game 2 weeks on Sunday and he's a mascot to make it that little bit special.

He was 6 weeks old when I took him to his 1st Bankies game, would have been younger had it not been pre season!

Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:04 pm

My first league game was v the geordies in early 80s.

My eldest boy Charlie was 8 weeks-he slept through a 2-0 victory over Carlisle which got us into play offs in 97.

My daughter was about 5 and saw us beat Gillingham 5-0 Earnie scored 4.

My next son Tommy was about 2 when he saw us lose 2-0 to wigan on Kavs return.

My baby son Sam was 7 months old when he saw us beat Watford 4-2 in January.

Charlie has been to over 20 different grounds and Tommy has done 6 different grounds

Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:54 pm

took my 4 year old son rhys to his first game this year v hull at home ...we won 2-0....he loved it and you could see the delight in his face from the moment he was picked up by my mate and we were in his car...his face was a joy ..like im in the car with dad and his mates going to football....he loved the stadium and everything about the day...wears his bellamy top to football training and always is shouting "c,mon the bluebirds",ill be taking him again soon but fair play he loves his bluebirds !!!....and as a dad i remember my first game and for me it was a joy and just a great day for me myself,loved it.

Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:30 pm

Took my son aged 2 to city v Cambridge Utd 1996 ! He cryed all the way through! :(

Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:33 pm

Took my boy, Owain for his first game to City v Crewe in 2005, he was 3 at the time.

His intial excitment was soon replaced by fear as we scored 5 goals in about 20 second half minutes and the noise on the Bob Bank scared him!! He's not wanted to go since. However have told him that the new ground is much quieter!! So we are coming down before the end of season from Luton.

A great game to take him to (6-1!!!), got the DVD and kept the programme for him.