Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: " Another great example of PR from club/players "

Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:21 pm

cos its half term my cousins are down from liverpool(9yrs and 12yrs). my grandad took them shopping to cdiff, and my cousins wanted to meet the players. understandibly they didnt know who they were but my grandad hyped it up, and they queued for ages. had photos etc. my grandad said they were 2 of the grumpiest bastards he has ever seen in his life, and what a waste of time it was. :?

Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:03 pm

Judging by the comments already posted it generally seems that those guilty of being rude don't figure hightly in DJ's team selection. I also noticed that the Welsh players are generally good with the fans.
Notwithstanding this at one player sponsorship evening many seasons ago I asked Jamie Collins, who we had sponsored for the season, to remove his cap for the photo to be taken of him with me and my wife. He refused.
We still love him though and have framed the shirt which proudly hangs in our sons bedroom.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:17 pm

loadsa51 wrote:Judging by the comments already posted it generally seems that those guilty of being rude don't figure hightly in DJ's team selection. I also noticed that the Welsh players are generally good with the fans.
Notwithstanding this at one player sponsorship evening many seasons ago I asked Jamie Collins, who we had sponsored for the season, to remove his cap for the photo to be taken of him with me and my wife. He refused.
We still love him though and have framed the shirt which proudly hangs in our sons bedroom.

To be fair, he is ginger... not really nice of you to play on his insecurities! :D

Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:24 pm

Me and my boy have met Tom Heaton twice, and he has been such a nice friendly guy, we didn't have a pen when we met him the first time,so he walked over to his dad's car and borrowed one from him. His parents and girlfriend were nice too, you could see the pride on his parents' face that we were asking for their son's autograph. Like Darren Purse, the boy is a true ambassador for our club, and a top man!

Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:25 pm

Zabier wrote:
loadsa51 wrote:Judging by the comments already posted it generally seems that those guilty of being rude don't figure hightly in DJ's team selection. I also noticed that the Welsh players are generally good with the fans.

To be fair, he is ginger... not really nice of you to play on his insecurities! :D

LOL
So is my son, hence the sponsorshi choice. :P

Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:38 pm

:lol:

None better than Collins! Well, now Mark Pembridge has retired anyway! :p

Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:50 pm

Bumped Into Phil Dwyer the other Day, The guy is a feking Legend, He actually died on the pitch playing for the City, Top Man and always got time to chat CCFC and old days, Even when he still played for the City he always had time for Fans, He got a round in for us down the Beer Kieller (Barry Iseland) one sunny afternoon, had a scream, Wasnt on big ££££ money then either, Thats PR for you. ;)

Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:29 pm

Leighton James Dont Like uS wrote:Bumped Into Phil Dwyer the other Day, The guy is a feking Legend, He actually died on the pitch playing for the City, Top Man and always got time to chat CCFC and old days, Even when he still played for the City he always had time for Fans, He got a round in for us down the Beer Kieller (Barry Iseland) one sunny afternoon, had a scream, Wasnt on big ££££ money then either, Thats PR for you. ;)

Its ex players like Dwyer they need to be working with more :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:50 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37736

Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:27 pm

I happened to be in St davids this afternoon. Kev McNaughton, Gabor Gypes and Steve McPhail were on the chairs and it was all smiles, so perhaps the OP was just unlucky his kids went when they did.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:07 pm

Thats for sure TB, City Players always used to do good PR work, I used to have a scream with Georgie Wood, Roger Gibbons and Co playing charity matches and we'd all be happy with an after event pint back at Cliff's Pub in nottage, G Wood ws funny as fook, he played for the other team at one event and Ian Walsh and Myself put 5 past him, ok Walshy got the hatrick but my floook 35yarder and Header off two post's that didnt 100% cross the line pissed him off no end, didnt play opposite sides after that thankfully, as he made it clear to Walshy and myself that if we ever played for the opposition again that we would enter his area at our own risk''''. Id do it all again no probs, and they played these fund raiser's for F all, just a sarnie and a pint, even the after pint was a scream. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:26 pm

The last post was a reply to FB as in ForeverBlue NOT TB, Sorry A, got my glasses on now . :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:32 pm

shame so many next gen fans left disappointed , and will stick with them throughout all the years they remain fans so come on boys give em a good reason to remember cuing up for hours to see their idols who they rarely get to see so close up and in person

Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:34 pm

That is sad and backs up the arrogance we've seen with DJ and his attitude to our fans. If it wasnt for us, there would be no club and they wouldnt be earning 10k plus per week. Most of our supporters dont earn that in 6 months yet they cant even be bothered to meet the fans properly and show some interest. They were probably rushing to get to AUDI to get their new toys.
The press dont help with all the stories of partying, drugs, booze and tarts with some of the Prems finest but this doesnt help either. They are paid unbelievably well for doing a few training sessions and a couple of games a week at most whereas we work our nuts off just to be able to watch them. I've got a decent job but I'm dreading coughing up another £500 for my son and I for next season. Times are hard.
Our club is so bad at PR and meeting the fans needs I sometimes wonder if we have a PR department. There is no excuse now. We have been run like a joke for decades but now we are on the verge of the top flight. It has to change.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:50 pm

I took my nephew yesterday promising him Chopra, Ramsey, Blake and Bothroyd as had been advertised by the club. We got to the front of the queue at about 12.50pm having queued for an hour just in time to see Whittingham leave (he only got there at 12.20ish) so we were left with, as has already been mentioned, Marshall, Matthews & Heaton (and the shite mascot!)

Marshall was fine with my nephew but didn't smile in the pic, Matthews was very sullen but Heaton was superb. Talked about the Leicester game the night before, said goodbye to my nephew by name and was full of smiles for the pic.

As others have said, unfotunatey it looks like it's pot luck with who is there rather than the scheduled players as today I've seen it was McNaughton, Burke, Gypes and Bothroyd amongst others.

The previous time I took him to meet the players was the Bellamy signing session in the club shop. On that occasion all four players were brillaint with him. The same Matthews couldn't have been nicer, Wildig was great, Blake was fantastic with him (as he was only just three and shy) and Bellamy was the best of the lot. Completely professional and every bit the star.

I guess it comes naturally to some whilst others would rather be anywhere else.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:55 pm

So many different people had the same opinion.

It would be nice to see an acknowledgement, or excuse from the club.

The PR department could perhaps come up with some statement !!!!!!!

:shock:

Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:56 pm

Whilst getting tickets for the lads for the Wrexham promotion game in 93 bumped into Carl Dale outside Ninian Park. Spoke for about 20mins and he spoke with a passion about his hatred of the Jacks1 :D

Also in a Car Dealership in Swansea and saw Robbie James there at the same time. We went over to him and his wife said no trouble lads. She thought we were Swansea but we told her we were city as he was playing for us at the time. Whist we started talking to Robbie I had to move my car from the concourse as another car wanted to leave the premises. We were about to go when Robbie beckoned us over to the side to continue talking to us. What a great bloke who give us fans the time of day to talk football. At the time he was having a lot of crap off the Jacks. A proper bloke who sadly died too young.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:28 pm

barry boy wrote:So many different people had the same opinion.

It would be nice to see an acknowledgement, or excuse from the club.

The PR department could perhaps come up with some statement !!!!!!!

:shock:

Gethin Jenkins CEO and Julian Jenkins have Read This Thread, But Will Not Comment.

Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:21 pm

I hope they have read it Annis.
The fans aren't stupid (well, not all of them anyway!), and all we ask for is a bit of recognition for our efforts in following them around the country. It costs nothing.
There are so many people unemployed or struggling these days, yet the club show no appreciation for the 22000 who turn up every week. In fact at times its like they're doing US a favour.
Little things like free days at the stadium for kids where ALL the players turn up, players applauding fans at away games, newsletters with club updates rather than just hearing from them when they want your money. Why not lower the prices of food in the stadium as it is an absolute disgrace? What about a free draw every match for season ticket holders where a prize of a signed shirt is won? All little things which would go a long way.
Its a shame the club don't listen to some of the proper fans for advice, and then maybe the club wouldnt come across as so out of touch and arrogant.
I'm available for some quality ideas if they want to get hold of me......I've seen enough bad PR at CCFC over the past 30 years.

Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:29 pm

Binge wrote:I took my nephew yesterday promising him Chopra, Ramsey, Blake and Bothroyd as had been advertised by the club. We got to the front of the queue at about 12.50pm having queued for an hour just in time to see Whittingham leave (he only got there at 12.20ish) so we were left with, as has already been mentioned, Marshall, Matthews & Heaton (and the shite mascot!)

Marshall was fine with my nephew but didn't smile in the pic, Matthews was very sullen but Heaton was superb. Talked about the Leicester game the night before, said goodbye to my nephew by name and was full of smiles for the pic.

As others have said, unfotunatey it looks like it's pot luck with who is there rather than the scheduled players as today I've seen it was McNaughton, Burke, Gypes and Bothroyd amongst others.

The previous time I took him to meet the players was the Bellamy signing session in the club shop. On that occasion all four players were brillaint with him. The same Matthews couldn't have been nicer, Wildig was great, Blake was fantastic with him (as he was only just three and shy) and Bellamy was the best of the lot. Completely professional and every bit the star.

I guess it comes naturally to some whilst others would rather be anywhere else.

Well i can offer an explanation to these players Marshall as i understand it was upset as he kept dropping his pen and Matthews was well upset at joining a Nothing Scottish team in a nothing Scottish league :lol: :lol: And Heaton was just glad someone recognised him :lol: :lol: :lol: