Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Another great example of PR from club/players "

Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:30 pm

Today my Missus took our 3 kids to meet the players in St Davids Centre. The club issued a schedule on the official website advising from 12pm til 1pm Rambo, Chops, Bothroyd, an Darcy would be there...then from 1pm Tom Heaton, Gavin Rae and a few others would be there.

My Missus turned up at 12pm to find none of the mentioned players were there with the exception of Heaton...with Matthews and Marshall, and Keinan also in attendance.
Fair enough a change of players, but my Missus said that they queued for over an hour to get to the players and when they got there she was greeted with a half asked grumpy as fu*k Marshall with an equally socailly inept Matthews, and my Missus said neither of them could be bothered to even acknowledge the kids or interact with her and the kids at all. My eldest (who is 3) handed one of them a City top to sign and he didnt even look at her apparently, let alone make some sort of conversation with a little kid who clearly was looking forward to meeting a Bluebird. My Missus even said that Marshall looked in relative disgust at her because she had 3 young kids with her - if I seen that he would of had a fukn mouthful from me City player or not.

I've seen the photos from today and they seem to back her claims as in every photo only Heaton is offering what could resemble a smile - every other photo is Marshall and Matthews looking totally miserable and clearly didnt want to be there. Keinan was present also, but by the time they got to the front of the queue he had gone for while.

I appreciate the possibility this may have been out of sync with others experiences today, but that doesnt matter to my Missus or the kids - she came from there quite pissed off with the impression the players simply coulnt give a flying fu*k. All her friends who were wearing City tops and the kids were, and they all had similar experiences and felt a little confused and pissed off by it all.

Bottom line is, if you're a player on a decent wage going to meet people willing to queue up for considerable amount of time to meet their idols etc they should have the decency to at least be civil - and the club also has the responsibility to ensure that at least a decent proportion of the itinery they published is stuck to...how hard could it be to get players to turn up on a certain time when theyre not training.

Complete load of wa*k if you ask me. After a good win on Tuesday the club had a chance to impress during half term their next generation of fans but the historical half hearted I couldnt give a fu*k approach to their relationship with the fans and the local community has raised it ugly head once more. Our beloved club frustrates me beyond belief sometimes - fukn wise up init.

Re: Another great example of PR from club/players

Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:35 pm

JonScam wrote:Today my Missus took our 3 kids to meet the players in St Davids Centre. The club issued a schedule on the official website advising from 12pm til 1pm Rambo, Chops, Bothroyd, an Darcy would be there...then from 1pm Tom Heaton, Gavin Rae and a few others would be there.

My Missus turned up at 12pm to find none of the mentioned players were there with the exception of Heaton...with Matthews and Marshall, and Keinan also in attendance.
Fair enough a change of players, but my Missus said that they queued for over an hour to get to the players and when they got there she was greeted with a half asked grumpy as fu*k Marshall with an equally socailly inept Matthews, and my Missus said neither of them could be bothered to even acknowledge the kids or interact with her and the kids at all. My eldest (who is 3) handed one of them a City top to sign and he didnt even look at her apparently, let alone make some sort of conversation with a little kid who clearly was looking forward to meeting a Bluebird. My Missus even said that Marshall looked in relative disgust at her because she had 3 young kids with her - if I seen that he would of had a fukn mouthful from me City player or not.

I've seen the photos from today and they seem to back her claims as in every photo only Heaton is offering what could resemble a smile - every other photo is Marshall and Matthews looking totally miserable and clearly didnt want to be there. Keinan was present also, but by the time they got to the front of the queue he had gone for while.

I appreciate the possibility this may have been out of sync with others experiences today, but that doesnt matter to my Missus or the kids - she came from there quite pissed off with the impression the players simply coulnt give a flying fu*k. All her friends who were wearing City tops and the kids were, and they all had similar experiences and felt a little confused and pissed off by it all.

Bottom line is, if you're a player on a decent wage going to meet people willing to queue up for considerable amount of time to meet their idols etc they should have the decency to at least be civil - and the club also has the responsibility to ensure that at least a decent proportion of the itinery they published is stuck to...how hard could it be to get players to turn up on a certain time when theyre not training.

Complete load of wa*k if you ask me. After a good win on Tuesday the club had a chance to impress during half term their next generation of fans but the historical half hearted I couldnt give a fu*k approach to their relationship with the fans and the local community has raised it ugly head once more. Our beloved club frustrates me beyond belief sometimes - fukn wise up init.

That happened at I'LL BE THERE LAUNCH IN HMV EXACTLY THE SAME.

If Our Club is to progress this type of PR from Our Club needs addressing.
I was all up for helping them with creating Atmosphere in the Canton Stand, but then they decide they needed someone else's help, I wonder if they are now helping them lol.

Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:37 pm

this is a footballers life, dont want to be there, etc etc, the best thing to do is not turn up, with 3 kids there ,they all over you, :roll:

Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:04 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
JonScam wrote:Today my Missus took our 3 kids to meet the players in St Davids Centre. The club issued a schedule on the official website advising from 12pm til 1pm Rambo, Chops, Bothroyd, an Darcy would be there...then from 1pm Tom Heaton, Gavin Rae and a few others would be there.

That happened at I'LL BE THERE LAUNCH IN HMV EXACTLY THE SAME.

If Our Club is to progress this type of PR from Our Club needs addressing.
I was all up for helping them with creating Atmosphere in the Canton Stand, but then they decide they needed someone else's help, I wonder if they are now helping them lol.

Annis, the club piss me off at times...they seem to be pretty ignorant to the fact that it is us the supporters that essentially keep the club going - there just renting their positions effectively. Trying to fight for a stronger voice must be so frustrating for you most of the time when dealing with the club...hats off to you, they dont seem the easiest to try and get through to imo

Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:06 pm

ninianblue wrote:this is a footballers life, dont want to be there, etc etc, the best thing to do is not turn up, with 3 kids there ,they all over you, :roll:

Its pathetic mate...wreaks of arrogance, I hate the thought those wearing the shirt for us can be like that - I dont think we've ever had a bunch of players like that ever until recently - I could be wrong though. I defo think its a new age thing - who do they think they are init

Re: " Another great example of PR from club/players "

Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:11 pm

Send a complaint into the club mate. They need to know about shit like this.

Not on!

Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:12 pm

Exactly the same leading up to the fa cup final when players signed CDs in HMV. Queued with my son and daughter for about an hour. When we got to the players they couldn't even give a smile.

Worst culprit was Roger Johnston, mobile phone tucked under his chin, chatting away and wouldn't even lift his head. He just signed whatever was put in front of him.

Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:34 pm

few seasons ago i came out of the clubshop with my son and daughter and glen loovens was standing there.
i said hi glen can my son and daughter have a photo with you and his words were with a grumpy attitude tut tut if you have to but hurry up. i told him to go and f**k himself :evil:
fair enough if was in a rush and said sorry not now but he wasnt doing anything except standing there..
few minutes later gavin rae came out and was completely opposite to loovens he was smiling and chatting to the few city fans that were around :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:40 pm

Anyone remember carl dales testimonial?

I queued before hand to meet the city legends, I met the likes of Psycho Perry, Cohen Griffith, Carl himself, all of them.

EVERY single one, despite the constraints of time, had a smile and manners towards all those that waited for them.

Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:47 pm

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:Anyone remember carl dales testimonial?

I queued before hand to meet the city legends, I met the likes of Psycho Perry, Cohen Griffith, Carl himself, all of them.

EVERY single one, despite the constraints of time, had a smile and manners towards all those that waited for them.

I Remember very well :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
Times have Really changed and for the worst.

Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:52 pm

Fair play every time fans are around Tom heaton he always makes an effort and always stops to sign tops and have a chat with a smile on his face...... Dosent cost anything so y can't other players be the same instead of being stuck up there own arses

Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:52 pm

It says on the club website that Chopra, Ramsey, Bothroyd and Blake were meant to be there from 12-1pm.

And that Heaton Whittingham, McNaughton and Rae were supposed to be there from 1-2pm.

So from those 8, only Heaton and Whittingham were there, so they got grumpy Marshall, the shy Matthews and Dekel Keinan there to cover the rest :roll:

And Keinan was there on the wrong day (meant to be there tomorrow) :lol:

Maybe tomorrow will be better !

Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:54 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:It says on the club website that Chopra, Ramsey, Bothroyd and Blake were meant to be there from 12-1pm.

And that Heaton Whittingham, McNaughton and Rae were supposed to be there from 1-2pm.

So from those 8, only Heaton and Whittingham were there, so they got grumpy Marshall, the shy Matthews and Dekel Keinan there to cover the rest :roll:

And Keinan was there on the wrong day (meant to be there tomorrow) :lol:

Maybe tomorrow will be better !

4 days ago the Club Website was still Selling Swansea away tickets :lol:

Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:55 pm

We went to the CCS today to meet Hudson and Parkin. They arrived on time and were full of smiles and good with the kids, signing autographs and having photos taken with them all. No problems and genuine blokes. But some had come from the city centre saying what a shambles it was and on about the no-shows. Thats a disgrace and great for our young supporters to see their heroes not giving a shit.

Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:45 pm

Jonscam

2 Seasons ago under whatever one of a number of managers we had at that time we had the annual Player of the year do, always a great event with the players & fans letting they're hair down together, the night itself however was a proper piss take, players who were meant to be at each table with the guests (£1,000 per table) were nowhere to be seen, no mingling, no nothing, anyway as a little bit of time got on it turned out they were all outside together on phones & absolutely detached from the event, Fitz Hall it turned out was the ringleader who was heard by a number of Rangers fans to say 'f*ck this shit lets go West End' & before you knew it he had single handily got 75% of the squad players together in cabs and away. A lot of R's fans even up to last night haven't any time for the fella.

Anyway this year now a family day type thing was organised much the same as your thing today & Neil Warnock was very heavily involved, my Mrs took my nippers down there & the kids had a superb time, near on every 1st team player was there, they all took time out for chats & photo's & Neil Warnock by all accounts was the 'ringmaster' as such.

Basically in a nutshell a lot of players don't give a shit but when your gaffer is there himself making sure the players do they're duty you have much more chance of having a successful event. Maybe DJ should of dragged himself down there for that very reason alone.

Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:49 pm

Rambo, Chops, Bothroyd,
in the treatment room :old:

Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:16 am

I guess when your on £10k++ a week ordinary fans are something you dont need.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:30 am

even when the players do sign their autographs it resembles nothing like their names! ... half the time they dont even look at what they are signing!

Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:38 am

i dont like to say this and i will probably get slated for it but is this why the egg is perceived by many as the number 1 sport in wales,after all recently they just had an open house for kids to watch the national team training :twisted: :twisted:

Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:03 am

Personally I never go to things like this, No way I'd queue for any length of time to meet some "blokes" I know they play for Cardiff but I've never been impressed with celebrity/fame... Just people at the end of the day.

NOW I understand most people do it to take their children.... an I'm sure that when my two get a bit older I'll be off to meet footballers/singers/dancers etc etc....... BUT that's where I'm going to have a problem...because if they acted like that with my kids they'd be put in their place instantly....none of that Billy big time shit!

Make sure you write to the club and let them know!

P.S Marshall has always given me an impression of a knob head..... a shit one at that

Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:08 am

stickywicket wrote:Rambo, Chops, Bothroyd,
in the treatment room :old:

You mean in the Bookies.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:19 am

beckett wrote:Fair play every time fans are around Tom heaton he always makes an effort and always stops to sign tops and have a chat with a smile on his face...... Dosent cost anything so y can't other players be the same instead of being stuck up there own arses

At coventry away this year tom heaton was the first out of the stadium and last to get on the coach he was talking to group of about 10 people having a chat and a laugh while chopra went round the other side of the bus seemingly just because he couldn't be arsed to sign autographs :shock:

Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:54 am

Think is these guys are only human so unfortunately some are going to be knob heads while some are going to be nice guys, it's a sort of never meet your Heros situation because a lot of the time you will end up dissapointed. I'd like to think Matthews is just a shy kid rather than rude, Heaton always seems a decent lad and Marshall I can't say I've ever even seen an interview so not really sure what he could be like. How was Keinan?

I suppose with the different players there it's a risk you have to take, they'll probably be there another day the ones you missed could have had other things on

Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:05 am

beddau blue wrote:i dont like to say this and i will probably get slated for it but is this why the egg is perceived by many as the number 1 sport in wales,after all recently they just had an open house for kids to watch the national team training :twisted: :twisted:

They are even worst, just ask any Port Talbot lad what the Ospreys did in the Taibach Rugby club over Christmas. Shocking.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:28 am

I remember going to watch a Sheffield Wednesday game when I was a kid. We met the players after the game and even though they were in the Premiership (yes, that long ago! :p) all of the players gave us their time of day. David Hirst was the best. Even the likes of Niclas Alexandersson and Orlando Trustfull were top notch. International players with no association to the club were more committed to being friendly than our current crop.

Someone mentioned the signing sessions before the FA Cup Final. To be fair, I had Steve Thompson and James Fox both of whom were still trying to make the effort but they'd been signing stuff all day by that point and did seem a bit tired but they were still making sure they didn't come across as ignorant and they were more than happy to leave a message for my dad on the CD I got them to sign.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:37 am

I have said it for years.....Love football and hate footballers

Arrogant pricks (not all I admit but most)

Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:03 am

A mate of mine went to Caerphilly sports centre a few weeks ago when Rambo and Darcey was present. Apparo they were fantastic with the kids and it was a great day. Years ago i met Earnie a couple of times he was an absolute Gentleman and the same can be said for Phyco and Scott Young.
stories or comments about Heaton, Rae, Hudson, that these guys are top blokes but there is some that are complete knobs that could not give a toss about the fans the club, just the money they earn and the fame that goes with it.
As said before manners cost nothing and sadly many people are lacking the basic skills at not being a knob head.
As Stan said it has happened at his club so it aint just our players !! Be rude to kids aint on but if it had happened to me i would of told them to f**k off its just not acceptable in my opinion. Would Sam of put up with this ? I dont think so :evil:

Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:13 am

my lad was mascot at the burnley game...

heaton was really good and actually looked like he wanted his photo taken with jacob

marhsall not!

Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:31 am

Its a sad time when our own players dont acknowledge the fans

Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:37 am

RobP wrote:Exactly the same leading up to the fa cup final when players signed CDs in HMV. Queued with my son and daughter for about an hour. When we got to the players they couldn't even give a smile.

Worst culprit was Roger Johnston, mobile phone tucked under his chin, chatting away and wouldn't even lift his head. He just signed whatever was put in front of him.

i got a photo of that very same image :(