Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Best Formation

Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:38 pm

After last night i really hope DJ reverts to 4-3-3.

We looked more solid in midfield and more dangerous going forward. JET and Belllers are used to playing it at their former clubs and also Burkey looks well into it.

I know it would mean one forward out of Jay, Chops and Parkin but we have to play our best formation even if it means a chops on the bench.

I'd go Heaton

Quinn Hudson Kiernan Kev

Oli, Whitts, Mcphail

JET Jay Bellers

Re: Best Formation

Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:39 pm

4-4-2

Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:46 pm

2blue2handle wrote:4-4-2

i agree.

then change if it aint working or to shut shop :)
:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:50 pm

Don't you agree we looked far more solid with three in the middle then breaking after we broke them down?

Think we always look static at 4-4-2 and playing 4-3-3 would allowe bellers more freedom.

Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:51 pm

glammy74 wrote:

i agree.

With you on that one - At last we have a top notch plan B system, with the players to pull it off!

Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:17 pm

Welshpaul wrote:Don't you agree we looked far more solid with three in the middle then breaking after we broke them down?

Think we always look static at 4-4-2 and playing 4-3-3 would allowe bellers more freedom.

Yeah but we were 2-0 up at that point playing 4-4-2 and notice we didn't score once we went 4-5-1

Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:36 pm

Depends on how the opposition are set up but IMO we don't look comfortable with 442 and it's a major reason why we concede goals and our midfield constantly gets out played! 433/451 is by far our best system and the stats speak fir themselves! We are very poor playing 442 but with the same players we excel in 451 and everyone looks comfortable!

Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:41 pm

what about bellamy in the centre?

Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:59 pm

Its not 4 3 3 its 4 5 1then we had ramsey running the show

Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:11 am

Cardiff vs Leicester (4-2-2)

Cardiff play 4-4-2 for 55 mins

Cardiff winning 2-0

Cardiff play 4-5-1/4-3-3 for 30 mins

Fails to score.

Pretty easy argument here boys.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:38 am

RFMH wrote:Cardiff vs Leicester (4-2-2)

Cardiff winning 2-0

Fails to score.

for those 55 minutes we were outplayed and our first goal in particular was completely against the run of play! Disregarding the score when we switched we then proceeded to dominate the game, shut up shop and created more chances!!! If Jones had played 451 against Burnleys 451 we would have won, and the same against Reading! 442 is for Dinosaurs and we are very average when we play that way!

Doncaster - 451 - win 4.0

Pompey Away - 451 - Win 2.0

Pretty easy argument!

Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:32 pm

JET's rubbish on the right,he was miles better on the left and looked more comfortable himself!

Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:04 pm

Jimbo27 wrote:

Cardiff winning 2-0

Fails to score.

for those 55 minutes we were outplayed and our first goal in particular was completely against the run of play! Disregarding the score when we switched we then proceeded to dominate the game, shut up shop and created more chances!!! If Jones had played 451 against Burnleys 451 we would have won, and the same against Reading! 442 is for Dinosaurs and we are very average when we play that way!

Pretty easy argument!

Also played it against Peterboro away in the cup and lost 2-1

Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:41 pm

Welshpaul wrote:After last night i really hope DJ reverts to 4-3-3.

We looked more solid in midfield and more dangerous going forward. JET and Belllers are used to playing it at their former clubs and also Burkey looks well into it.

I know it would mean one forward out of Jay, Chops and Parkin but we have to play our best formation even if it means a chops on the bench.

I'd go Heaton

Quinn Hudson Kiernan Kev

Oli, Whitts, Mcphail

JET Jay Bellers

whitts,why,he is not deserving at the moment :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:41 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Jimbo27 wrote:

Cardiff winning 2-0

Fails to score.

Pretty easy argument!

Also played it against Peterboro away in the cup and lost 2-1

we played a number of our fringe players in that game and the ones who did play did not treat Peterborough with any respect! Anyone who went to Portsmouth away will tell you we were superb that day! 442 has quite clearly failed us whilst we havent yet dropped any points, in the league, when we have played 451 and we look much more comfortable!

Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:15 pm

Whitts as in a three, on the ball, he can pick a pass. When 4-4-2 he is lost i agree.

Think with Bellamy, Jay< Jet and Burkey and chops we'll always get goals but we need to stop conceding, a three in the middle wouldmake us more solid.

Really hope DJ stays with this and an option to go 4-4-2 if goals dont come.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:32 pm

glammy74 wrote:

i agree.

this is where the problem lies, yeah, were fine if everything is going to plan,,,,,,, but, when we got to change things, it goes tits up, for 99% of the time? :roll:

Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:34 pm

Jimbo27 wrote:

Pretty easy argument!

Leeds away 4-0 (performance of the season) 4-4-2
Swansea away 1-0 4-4-2

Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:42 pm

Heaton

Quinn Hudson Kiernan Kev

Whitts Mcphail OLI Bellers

Jay Chopra

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:04 pm

Playing 442 - we lost to Boro, Bristol, Watford, Swansea and drawn with Preston, Palace, Reading and Burnley , all games we should have won! We haven't lost a point or conceded a goal playing 451, the facts speak for themselves, why the resistance? For too long we've accommodated individuals and we don't look a unit, formation and shape has to come first:

Heaton

Quinn
Keinan
Hudson
Mcnaughton

Bellamy
Whitts
Oli
Macca
Burke
Jay

Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:05 am

Err We played 4-5-1 against Swansea at home, that was the problem J played Chopra RW and Keogh up front on his own.

Also played and lost with 4-5-1 against Leicester. OI'm a fan of 4-5-1 don't get me wrong, when Burke was on fire at the begining of the season it was our best XI. But at the moment (with Ramsey anyway) 4-4-2 is the way to go.

Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:41 am

RFMH wrote:Err We played 4-5-1 against Swansea at home, that was the problem J played Chopra RW and Keogh up front on his own.

Also played and lost with 4-5-1 against Leicester. OI'm a fan of 4-5-1 don't get me wrong, when Burke was on fire at the begining of the season it was our best XI. But at the moment (with Ramsey anyway) 4-4-2 is the way to go.

yes but as you said we played chopra rw, Drinkwater Lw and Keogh up front on his own! square pegs into round holes comes to mind! In fact that starting line up was so bad its astonishing! if everyone is fit then we have the perfect personnel for 451!!! im not saying it should be used every game, it should be used depending on the opposition we are facing and if vital players are fit, as you cant play the system without a target man or two lightning quick wingers, hence Jay or Parkin and Burke, Bellamy and Jet have to be fit for the system to work! when they are all fit, and we play that system, we look brilliant!

Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:47 am

So basically drop our best natural goalscorer in Chopra?

Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:02 pm

100% disagree with everyone calling for a 4-3-3!!!!
Fine, use it when looking to shut up shop when were winning, but i still remember the best Cardiff performance ive seen live this season which was when we played Leeds away, beat them 4-0, and played a straight 4-4-2. And im pretty sure the other best performances that have come were with a 4-4-2 too, like Swansea for example.
Jones got it spot on tactically against Leicester by starting with 4-4-2 and bringing McPhail on when we were winning.

Heaton
Quinn Hudson Keinan McNaughton
JET Olofinjana Whitts Bellamy
Chopra Bothroyd

If we then want to change to a defensive 4-3-3, bring McPhail on.
If we want an attacking 4-3-3, bring Koumas on for Chopra in a free role.

And I just think Burke is making a better impact off the bench at the moment, he seems low on confidence, and I think JET is quality and works back more than I thought he would to be fair to him.

Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:44 pm

scott_ccfc wrote:100% disagree with everyone calling for a 4-3-3!!!!
Fine, use it when looking to shut up shop when were winning, but i still remember the best Cardiff performance ive seen live this season which was when we played Leeds away, beat them 4-0, and played a straight 4-4-2. And im pretty sure the other best performances that have come were with a 4-4-2 too, like Swansea for example.
Jones got it spot on tactically against Leicester by starting with 4-4-2 and bringing McPhail on when we were winning.

Heaton
Quinn Hudson Keinan McNaughton
JET Olofinjana Whitts Bellamy
Chopra Bothroyd

If we then want to change to a defensive 4-3-3, bring McPhail on.
If we want an attacking 4-3-3, bring Koumas on for Chopra in a free role.

And I just think Burke is making a better impact off the bench at the moment, he seems low on confidence, and I think JET is quality and works back more than I thought he would to be fair to him.

I think the key point is that we have to adapt our formation depending on who we play! for too long jones has just stuck to 442 no matter what and some game we have been battered, whilst others it has worked! 442 against Coventry at home worked well, as they set up exactly the same way, but against the likes of Burnley, who played 451, and we played 442, we struggled! Its just nice to see our manager adapt for once! In my opinon we look far more solid in a 451, protecting our fragile back 4, and have plenty of options going forward! Gary Lineker recently said that in his opinion 442 is by and large dead because so many teams play 451 now that the midfields get over run and that is exactly what happened to us, and England in the last world cup. As a system it is too inflexible and allows too much space. That is why we always play so deep when we dont have the ball to try and cut the space between the midfield and the defence but we constantly get caught out! Against Leicester they had no space to play in whilst Burnley, with Eagles in the hole, had plenty! In my eyes if its good enough for Jose Mourinho then it cant be bad!