Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" We cannot compete with Forest "

Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:52 pm

You can analyse all the stats till you are blue in the face, keep the faith by all means or keep everything crossed. The reality of our situation is that if you compare us to Forest then Forest will certainly remain unbeaten at home for the rest of the season (something we cannot guarantee) and they are just as likely as us to pinch a few away points. If you couple that with the fact that they already have a one point advantage plus a game in hand then it would pretty much take a miracle for us to catch them. I personally think we are more likely to catch QPR but even this is a slim chance as they have a 6 point advantage over us. I think realistically we are looking at the playoffs again unless we go on an incredible run ourselves which is appearing increasingly unlikely.I have already mentally prepared myself for the lottery of the playoffs just in case and yes my glass is half empty and getting a little bit emptier every week. :(

Re: We cannot compete with Forest

Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:38 pm

Agree. Forest look like they are competing week in week out, and will in my opinion get very close to automatics. I think our only chance is if there are 2 auto places up for grabs with say 6 or 7 games to go. That needs QPR to be pulled back into the pack.

At the moment I reckon our chances are 1 in 5 for auto, 3 in five for auto/play off. That leaves a 40% possiblity of missing out altogether.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:39 pm

Bluebird64 wrote:You can analyse all the stats till you are blue in the face, keep the faith by all means or keep everything crossed. The reality of our situation is that if you compare us to Forest then Forest will certainly remain unbeaten at home for the rest of the season (something we cannot guarantee) and they are just as likely as us to pinch a few away points. If you couple that with the fact that they already have a one point advantage plus a game in hand then it would pretty much take a miracle for us to catch them. I personally think we are more likely to catch QPR but even this is a slim chance as they have a 6 point advantage over us. I think realistically we are looking at the playoffs again unless we go on an incredible run ourselves which is appearing increasingly unlikely.I have already mentally prepared myself for the lottery of the playoffs just in case and yes my glass is half empty and getting a little bit emptier every week. :(

NEGATIVE ALERT.....NEGATIVE ALERT!!!!! :evil:

Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:58 pm

cmon lads, city might suprise us on tuesday and beat leicester. im not saying suprise us meaning leicester should batter us but form wise they are better at the moment, if we can draw or win against leicester and possibly beat qpr we are in for contension for autos. we have a few easier games but still by no means a walk in the park

Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:04 pm

A Quiet Monkfish wrote:Agree. Forest look like they are competing week in week out, and will in my opinion get very close to automatics. I think our only chance is if there are 2 auto places up for grabs with say 6 or 7 games to go. That needs QPR to be pulled back into the pack.

At the moment I reckon our chances are 1 in 5 for auto, 3 in five for auto/play off. That leaves a 40% possiblity of missing out altogether.

I must agree as this sounds realistic. More realistic than the "keep the faith" brigade.We would have to go on some run to reel in QPR and Forest and as stated it is unlikely that Forest will lose their home games but you never know.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:07 pm

Blazing Saddles wrote:
Bluebird64 wrote:You can analyse all the stats till you are blue in the face, keep the faith by all means or keep everything crossed. The reality of our situation is that if you compare us to Forest then Forest will certainly remain unbeaten at home for the rest of the season (something we cannot guarantee) and they are just as likely as us to pinch a few away points. If you couple that with the fact that they already have a one point advantage plus a game in hand then it would pretty much take a miracle for us to catch them. I personally think we are more likely to catch QPR but even this is a slim chance as they have a 6 point advantage over us. I think realistically we are looking at the playoffs again unless we go on an incredible run ourselves which is appearing increasingly unlikely.I have already mentally prepared myself for the lottery of the playoffs just in case and yes my glass is half empty and getting a little bit emptier every week. :(

Realism Alert.... Realism Alert!!!!
I did warn you that my glass was half empty but the view was at least realistic if nothing else.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:22 pm

lewis91 wrote:cmon lads, city might suprise us on tuesday and beat leicester. im not saying suprise us meaning leicester should batter us but form wise they are better at the moment, if we can draw or win against leicester and possibly beat qpr we are in for contension for autos. we have a few easier games but still by no means a walk in the park

Sorry but as much as I would love to share your optimism I cannot agree. If we beat Leicester and QPR we would still be behind QPR. QPR are 6 points ahead of us and Forest a point ahead with a game in hand.Forest are unlikely to lose at home for the rest of the season and are as likely as us to win some away points.Its about time some of us took a reality check.
I do think we will make the playoffs without a doubt if thats any concillation.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:35 pm

Bluebird64 wrote:
lewis91 wrote:cmon lads, city might suprise us on tuesday and beat leicester. im not saying suprise us meaning leicester should batter us but form wise they are better at the moment, if we can draw or win against leicester and possibly beat qpr we are in for contension for autos. we have a few easier games but still by no means a walk in the park

Sorry but as much as I would love to share your optimism I cannot agree. If we beat Leicester and QPR we would still be behind QPR. QPR are 6 points ahead of us and Forest a point ahead with a game in hand.Forest are unlikely to lose at home for the rest of the season and are as likely as us to win some away points.Its about time some of us took a reality check.
I do think we will make the playoffs without a doubt if thats any concillation.

to a certain point i agree with you, dont think notts forest will lose at home, qpr will also be on form but anyone can beat anyone and that includes us and with the strength we have in our squad we can beat these teams, one big win (hopefully against leicester) we could go on a good run. still a while to go yet and no one knows how forest, qpr, norwich etc will turn out by the end of the season but i agree that play offs should be nearly certain but we all know we want autos. but lets try and stay positive haha :ayatollah: honestly we will find it very difficult if we were in the play offs but we need to step up our game bigtime!

Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:35 pm

Bluebird64 wrote:
Blazing Saddles wrote:

Realism Alert.... Realism Alert!!!!
I did warn you that my glass was half empty but the view was at least realistic if nothing else.

NEGATIVE ALERT -

All this rubbish about miracles . . . . .JESUS CHRIST! Now put your nike air Jerusalems on and Jog on. We're right in the mix! FACT!

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:15 pm

We have been playing with virtually a full team recently. Jones has got the best out of them yet we are still not good enough to get in the automatic spots.Can you tell me then where Jones is going to to conjure up the extra effort needed to seriously challenge QPR and Forest? I doubt we will match Forests home form for the rest of the season and they are already a point up on us with a game in hand and better goal diff. QPR are 6 points up and a vastly superior goal diff.Whilst I agree it is still possible to catch them it is unlikely on our present form.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:25 pm

i agree, form wise we havent been great recently. better than our spell over january but compared to forest and qpr we havent been consistant enough but still all to play for. i really think city will push on and get vital points that we need whether or not its enough for autos

Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:32 pm

lewis91 wrote:i agree, form wise we havent been great recently. better than our spell over january but compared to forest and qpr we havent been consistant enough but still all to play for. i really think city will push on and get vital points that we need whether or not its enough for autos

I really hope you are right but I just cant see how Jones is going to get the team playing much better than at present. Its not as if we can instantly raise our performance like we had players out and ready to come back in because we have had a full strength settled side for some time now. Another factor is that we may soon lose Ramsey which will only compound matters.
To catch the top 2 now would require a very good sustained run from us and both of them have an equally bad run. Thats all I am saying is it is unlikely.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:36 pm

yeah i can see what you mean that it is unlikely. we do have the players that can change it around instantly but we dont know how dave jones and the players are going to react to the forest game and although it looks like ramsey might be gone soon we still have quality that can help in some way. our position may be slightly clearer regarding play offs of autos when we play leicester

Re: " We cannot compete with Forest "

Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:38 pm

All I will say is they have done the Double over us.
Are higher than us.
Another well known manager Billy Davies does Dave Jones.
Like Neil Warnock/Ian Holloway they all seem to beat DJ/US.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:39 pm

Sit back and enjoy the sheer unpredictability and shit-gripping terror of being a CCFC fan...

Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:44 pm

Halifax93 wrote:Sit back and enjoy the sheer unpredictability and shit-gripping terror of being a CCFC fan...

:lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:45 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Halifax93 wrote:Sit back and enjoy the sheer unpredictability and shit-gripping terror of being a CCFC fan...

:lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

never get it easy us city fans
:lol:

Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:45 pm

lewis91 wrote:yeah i can see what you mean that it is unlikely. we do have the players that can change it around instantly but we dont know how dave jones and the players are going to react to the forest game and although it looks like ramsey might be gone soon we still have quality that can help in some way. our position may be slightly clearer regarding play offs of autos when we play leicester

Yes I agree.We do have talent and enough talent to get a playoff spot without a doubt. I just cannot see Jones being able to raise the team to the heights that are needed to secure an automatic spot. Like I said, we have recently had a full strength squad to pick from and Jones is currently getting the best out of them. I think in the next month we will all know if automatic promotion is still possible buy dont expect it on our current form.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:48 pm

Good quote but I hope the shit-gripping terror does not involve us going through the lottery of the playoffs again.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:50 pm

agree i would be happy with play offs because it gives us the chance to go up but against the likes or leicester jacks and possibly norwich? would be very tough but hopefulyl DJ and the players turn it round, we arent playing that bad jus not going our way i supose. we could have been 2-0 up in the first half yesterday. its just dissapointing that we have sorted the defence out and are quite solid at the back but now the attack isnt great...would be nice to have a balance one day!! :ayatollah:

Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:52 pm

Forest could easily hit a bad patch with just a few injuries, they have a small squad. They will be very lucky to avoid any injuries in the run in. I think though it is becoming out of our hands for a top 2 finish we have to hope for misfortune to QPR, Forest and Leicester which is not the way it should be with our squad.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

not the easiset of fixtures I make it 7 games against
teams in the mix
Tuesday, 22 February 2011
Nott'm Forest v Preston, 19:45
Saturday, 26 February 2011
Npower Championship
Millwall v Nott'm Forest, 15:00
Tuesday, 1 March 2011
Middlesbrough v Nott'm Forest, 19:45
Saturday, 5 March 2011
Nott'm Forest v Hull, 15:00
Tuesday, 8 March 2011
Sheff Utd v Nott'm Forest, 19:45
Saturday, 12 March 2011
Nott'm Forest v Doncaster, 15:00
Saturday, 19 March 2011
Swansea v Nott'm Forest, 15:00
Saturday, 2 April 2011
Npower Championship
Leeds v Nott'm Forest, 12:45
saturday, 9 April 2011
Nott'm Forest v Reading, 15:00
Tuesday, 12 April 2011
Nott'm Forest v Burnley, 19:45
Friday, 15 April 2011
Norwich v Nott'm Forest, 19:45
Friday, 22 April 2011
Nott'm Forest v Leicester, 17:15
Monday, 25 April 2011
Npower Championship
Bristol City v Nott'm Forest, 15:00
Saturday, 30 April 2011
Nott'm Forest v Scunthorpe, 15:00
Sunday, 8 May 2011
Npower Championship
Crystal Palace v Nott'm Forest, 15:00

Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:38 pm

Bluebird64 wrote:

Good quote but I hope the shit-gripping terror does not involve us going through the lottery of the playoffs again.

The P word fills me with sheer terror but I love it :ayatollah: By the way, I'm sure I read somewhere that the play off finals are at Old Trafford this year because Wembley is being used for the Champions League final. Is that right? Keep your Hull stubs. :lol:

Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:50 pm

Don't panic, they have a lot of harder games to play than us and are lucky as feck to have got three points on Saturday !!!

They are on top form now, it can't go on for ever the pressure will eventually get to them and they will crack, it's not who's on top form in February that counts it's who is on top form in March and April, they and Leicester have peaked to early, keep the faith :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:09 pm

Halifax93 wrote:
Bluebird64 wrote:

The P word fills me with sheer terror but I love it :ayatollah: By the way, I'm sure I read somewhere that the play off finals are at Old Trafford this year because Wembley is being used for the Champions League final. Is that right? Keep your Hull stubs. :lol:

Actually, I've just bothered to look it up and Championship play off final is Wembley and the others are Old Trafford. Of course, we're going up automatically anyway... ;)

Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:20 pm

I'm sorry, but we can compete with any team in this league.

Just bearn in mind that Forest lost to Scunthorpe who we beat twice, and QPR lost to Watford who we gubbed at home.

Don't let one defeat this year cloud the judgement again, this is going to the wire but we are more than good enough to come out on top of this.

For three months we keep hearing QPR will run away with it................

Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:26 pm

Blazing Saddles wrote:

No it's not. It's a reality alert.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:27 pm

PtB wrote:I'm sorry, but we can compete with any team in this league.

Just bearn in mind that Forest lost to Scunthorpe who we beat twice, and QPR lost to Watford who we gubbed at home.

Don't let one defeat this year cloud the judgement again, this is going to the wire but we are more than good enough to come out on top of this.

"Gubbed" - haven't we had enough Scottishness on the board tonight? :D

Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:31 pm

I agree mate, no one's running away with anything yet, it's going all the way. :ayatollah:

Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:46 pm

Halifax93 wrote:

"Gubbed" - haven't we had enough Scottishness on the board tonight? :D

Nae enough yet fair bonnie lad :lol: