Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

NOTTS FOREST RECORD BROKEN IN THE 70'S

Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:58 pm

Memory not the best for detail but didn't we take their unbeaten home record of something like two years unbeaten at home record n the late 70's whilst we were more or less bottom of the league and without an away win, any statos out there. :old:

Re: NOTTS FOREST RECORD BROKEN IN THE 70'S

Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:16 pm

gwyn my memory is has bad as yours but im sure we were the last team to beat them before they started their record run of unbeaten games

Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:18 pm

It was the other way round I think Gwyn. We were the last side to beat them before they went on their monumental unbeaten run which lasted a year or so. I remember them on Match of the Day getting beat at home to Brighton, which i think ended the run in 1978

Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:36 am

23 April 1977, we won 1-0. I was thinking the same thing as well.

Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:24 am

Peter Sayer I think
And I kept the coat :old: :old:

Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:52 am

Forest were in the first division and were unbeaten at home for two years, I think it was 32 matches, we went there in the cup and beat them 3-1 and they had their full first team out :thumbup:

Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:17 am

i was there that day it was a unbeliveable game we were housed in the terracing right on the halfway line with forest on either side of us we got a early goal and from then on itwas one way traffic forest just attacked an attacked they threw eveything at us but our defence stood firm forest went unbeaten at the city ground for about two years after that .if i remmber it kicked off a bit in the second half one of our supporters was hit by a brick on the head they wernt pleased that we were holding on two our lead after the game they kept us in we could see there fans waiting on trent bridge for us we were celabratng like mad until they let us out .it was one of those great city momomeants of mine that i have never forgotten :ayatollah:

Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:25 am

late seventies 77?, a one nil win and it was sayer.
mudbath of a pitch, cloughie was not amused.
it was like the alamo, believe healey was in goals who saved everything thrown at him.
i was sat in the stand, city were in the terrace below,forest either side.
fighting throughout the game,the guys would probably be given life sentences in this day and age.

Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:32 am

It was the 23 April 1977, i was a 15 year old at the match, hemmed in on three sides being constantly bombarded by stones. Pongo had his head split open, but still got everyone singing.

Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:29 pm

BigGwynram wrote:Memory not the best for detail but didn't we take their unbeaten home record of something like two years unbeaten at home record n the late 70's whilst we were more or less bottom of the league and without an away win, any statos out there. :old:

Gwyn, I remember WE were the last team to beat them before they went on that remarkable run which resulted in them winning the (old) First Division Championship in the seventies und 'Old Big Head'

We messed a few teams up in those days and I remember one game where Brighton came to Parc Ninian needing a draw to be promoted and we beat them 3-1 with Tony Evans on fire....

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:30 pm

Igovernor wrote:Forest were in the first division and were unbeaten at home for two years, I think it was 32 matches, we went there in the cup and beat them 3-1 and they had their full first team out :thumbup:

you got me fucked there igovernor i cant remember that im racking me brain cell :) what cup and year was that. i could be wrong but im sure im not to say this did not happen. will put my hands up if im wrong :old: ;)

Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:26 am

RICK+CCFC wrote:It was the 23 April 1977, i was a 15 year old at the match, hemmed in on three sides being constantly bombarded by stones. Pongo had his head split open, but still got everyone singing.

pongo theres a name from the past, is he still about.
hell of a BOY :ayatollah:

Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:31 am

MAESTEG BLUE wrote:
RICK+CCFC wrote:It was the 23 April 1977, i was a 15 year old at the match, hemmed in on three sides being constantly bombarded by stones. Pongo had his head split open, but still got everyone singing.

Last time i saw him was a year last December in the Muni club, City Rd, at the fans meeting with P.R.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:20 am

That was one mad day, me and my mates were on the half way line. One of the lads had a fork in his head and bizarrely was still bouncing and singing, the coins rocks and stones was alike Pompey away in 77 I think.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:52 pm

i was the same age mate

Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:54 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:
MAESTEG BLUE wrote:

Last time i saw him was a year last December in the Muni club, City Rd, at the fans meeting with P.R.

he used to start the singing off in the grangend with a fellow from port talbot called lynde hes a steward know has been for years

Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:37 pm

cardiff 74 wrote:i was there that day it was a unbeliveable game we were housed in the terracing right on the halfway line with forest on either side of us we got a early goal and from then on itwas one way traffic forest just attacked an attacked they threw eveything at us but our defence stood firm forest went unbeaten at the city ground for about two years after that .if i remmber it kicked off a bit in the second half one of our supporters was hit by a brick on the head they wernt pleased that we were holding on two our lead after the game they kept us in we could see there fans waiting on trent bridge for us we were celabratng like mad until they let us out .it was one of those great city momomeants of mine that i have never forgotten :ayatollah:

Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:40 pm

cardiff 74 wrote:i was there that day it was a unbeliveable game we were housed in the terracing right on the halfway line with forest on either side of us we got a early goal and from then on itwas one way traffic forest just attacked an attacked they threw eveything at us but our defence stood firm forest went unbeaten at the city ground for about two years after that .if i remmber it kicked off a bit in the second half one of our supporters was hit by a brick on the head they wernt pleased that we were holding on two our lead after the game they kept us in we could see there fans waiting on trent bridge for us we were celabratng like mad until they let us out .it was one of those great city momomeants of mine that i have never forgotten :ayatollah:

this was one hell of a game the lad who had a brick on his head was pongo who used to start the singing in the grangend with lynde from port talbot who is a steward know