Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Schools To Lose Their Playgrounds

Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:58 pm

Well if Swansea Council have their way that's is what is going to happen to 13 schools under the control of the Council. The need to even consider taking playgrounds from school children is required because the Council need to raise £12m to cover a shortfall in it's budget.

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/news/ ... ticle.html

We all understand these are hard times and maybe the Council have no other alternative to raise money but until they have no other options then taking away childrens play areas is brutal.

At a time when the Council is considering taking such action another major council asset, The Liberty Stadium, has announced two major concerts this June, both Rod Stewart and JLS will appear at what is hoped will be sellout concerts.

These events which have ticket prices starting at £55 with a hospitality package available at £149 per person are likely to raise over £1m in profit. What will happen to that profit?

The Council own the stadium and you would think that the profit would go to them but sadly 5 years after the stadium opened the Council has not received a single penny in income from the stadium. Reality is that they will not receivea penny from either of these concerts either and the money will go into the stadium management company and then be used to reduce the costs for both Swansea City and the Ospreys. I think this is outrageous.

If the profits from these concerts were given to the Council then maybe at least 2 of these schools could keep their playgrounds, maybe if Swansea City and the Ospreys had been paying a market price for using the Liberty for the last 5 years maybe all the schools could keep their playgrounds.

When I read comments about how well run Swansea City Football Club is it makes my blood boil, some may well still want to argue that they are well run but I say at what price. Childrens playgrounds for one :o :o :o :o :o :o

Re: Schools To Lose Their Playgrounds

Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:06 pm

At a time when the Council is considering taking such action another major council asset, The Liberty Stadium, has announced two major concerts this June, both Rod Stewart and JLS will appear at what is hoped will be sellout concerts.
a sell out at the liberty, could be a first :ayatollah:

Re: Schools To Lose Their Playgrounds

Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:08 pm

Where will they be able to do their drug deals now then, and they reckoned they would keep drugs off the streets. ;)