Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: WAS ANYONE ON HERE A MOD/SKINHEAD/PUNK or CASUAL IN THE 80's

Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:25 pm

I went in that shop it was for posh kids who there mums took them into to get a "Punk" look

kids in my school went in there who had 2 punk records and no Idea! :old:

Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:30 pm

Annis, you forgot New Romantics, plenty from Port talbot went from Punks to New Romantic early eighties, i.e into OMD, Depeche Mode, spandau ballet, then morphed into Casual culture as the clothing and haircuts mixed with that music well and also with attending football. Then most finally ended up as Ravers, ditched football to some extent, in favour of getting loved up! Those were the days eh!

Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:39 pm

placid-casual wrote:I went in that shop it was for posh kids who there mums took them into to get a "Punk" look

kids in my school went in there who had 2 punk records and no Idea! :old:

I don't know about posh kids, i was 14 and in a care home at that time and had nothing in the world?? just remember the shop..

Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:05 pm

remember the days like yesterday guys,
barry island , the transport cafe , circles cafe in howells, model inn pub, harlepool away ,hereford away whitchurch roath park ..... THE MODS EH !
BUT IN FAIRNESS the ones i no now an are really good friends with are all game as f**k , they had a right firm !
I ACTUALLY WORK WITH ONE an we dont half whind each other up lol you can often find us working on queen st rowing an shouting about the 80s, an who done who etc with people looking rather concerned lol, harmless banter is good for you , the problem is when he picks a shovel up!! HE WAS PROPER CARDIFF COUGAR MOST OF YOU NO HIM AS "NORMAN" !
wiards who run who ? well i would say even stevens on that one althou we came really unstuck once?
we the ely trendies who ourselves could turn out a right mob at one time bac in the early 80s when wearing the clobber mattered unlike today , we use to stand on ely bridge most evenings by traffic lights an when the mods use to ride to barry or wherever they were going we would time it so they would have to stop at lights where we would then attack em , this went on for months until one sunday afternoon when the mods /cougars had wised up to this little antic of ours, they came over bridge about 7/8 scooters making that bloody noise lol an without us realising aload more tailing behind plus few car loads , we were underhanded that day no excuses thou , 1 of ours pushed button to our dismay an they went red , the scooters didnt stop mind they just ploughed straight into us beating us an then chasing us off all over our estate which up to then had never been taken, all great days thou !
THE MODS NOW WEAR OUR CLOTHES
WE LISTEN TO THERE MUSIC

Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:23 pm

73 born, so missed a bit of it
but had fun going to treco for a jubbly, to the park with a tractor innertube
late 70s and early 80s was the best for me, riding around on choppers and raleigh burners... was a bit more scruffy than trandy in my hand me downs
by 15 i was djing in the square club radcliffes that someone had mentioned earlier, but on the ground floor with the hip hop and dance crowd... frank gave me my break there and set me off on a 20 year carreer :ayatollah:

by then it was de la soul daisy age, soul 2 soul baggy, nike windrunners, run dmc adidas no lace superstar wearing, kangol hat chilling, hip hopper... not sure what category that would be... my mum would more than likely say a category all of its own :lol:

went to plenty events down the island though... before i found my place was at the raves down the knap... prefer running events than the streets

Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:47 pm

Leytonstoneblue wrote:Annis, you forgot New Romantics, plenty from Port talbot went from Punks to New Romantic early eighties, i.e into OMD, Depeche Mode, spandau ballet, then morphed into Casual culture as the clothing and haircuts mixed with that music well and also with attending football. Then most finally ended up as Ravers, ditched football to some extent, in favour of getting loved up! Those were the days eh!

Your right I did, that was quite big as well. Music ok, but looking like one not for me :lol: :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:52 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Leytonstoneblue wrote:Annis, you forgot New Romantics, plenty from Port talbot went from Punks to New Romantic early eighties, i.e into OMD, Depeche Mode, spandau ballet, then morphed into Casual culture as the clothing and haircuts mixed with that music well and also with attending football. Then most finally ended up as Ravers, ditched football to some extent, in favour of getting loved up! Those were the days eh!

Your right I did, that was quite big as well. Music ok, but looking like one not for me :lol: :ayatollah:

To be fair though there was always a very thin line between Boy George and Casuals, so it was very easy to confuse the two. :lol:
Cuma, cuma, cuma cameleon, you come and go.... :lol:

Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:55 pm

Berwyn wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

To be fair though there was always a very thin line between Boy George and Casuals, so it was very easy to confuse the two. :lol:
Cuma, cuma, cuma cameleon, you come and go.... :lol:

Now now
Berwyn
:lol:

Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:01 pm

supercoops wrote:I was into punk music late 70s early 80s, can anyone remember that shop opposite caroline street, called "paradise garage"?
It was shocking pink, and sold punk gear and music... 79-80 maybe.. very close to the phillamonic?? :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I remember, didn't have much in stock but what they had was f£££$$$ expensive. I bought a pair of bondage straights in there, cost about £25, a lot of money in 1978 [well it was for me]!

Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:06 pm

:lol: :lol:

Annis, you've not replied in that other thread I did for you. There's a tidy link in there for you as well. Trust me you'll be well chuffed. :D Go and have a look now.

Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:15 pm

skinhead, then a drastic change to new romantics, those were the days :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:50 pm

I used to get my punk stuff from the oriental arts ! Paradise garage was expensive £35 for bondage Trousers in 79!

Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:53 pm

placid-casual wrote:I used to get my punk stuff from the oriental arts ! Paradise garage was expensive £35 for bondage Trousers in 79!

I couldn't remember the actual price i paid, but they were expensive, & a rip off. Thinking back, real punks would get there gear from a charity shop, or nick it off a washing line. :lol:

Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:05 pm

Berwyn wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:WAS ANYONE ON HERE A MOD/SKINHEAD/PUNK or CASUAL in the 80's ?

Casual for me, Running the Mods in Barry Island/Porthcawl/Transport Cafe and Pontypridd :lol: :lol:

I forgot and in Hartlepool 2 hrs before City played there :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Annis, I know we've had quite a bit of banter relating to Mods/ casuals (little c) :lol: But honestly I don't know where you get this running Mods from, I honestly don't. I have never known any Mod/Scooter Boy/Soul Boy get chased by a casual.
I was in the bar at Ninian Park having a pint following Jeff Richards funeral and I was talking to a very good friend of yours Annis, who was a former member of the Cougars scooter club. We were having laugh about the odd memory and some of the old faces that used to hang out in Ponty and I told him of the banter I was having with you. After looking a bit confused, his words were long the lines of "I'd like to know what drugs Annis was on, I wouldn't mind some of those myself" :lol: You know who I'm talking about, when you see him next ask him. :lol:

In fact the only memory I have of casuals was that they were quite friendly towards us. I remember going on a packed train down to Barry. At this point can I just say that I was never a member of the Cougars but I used to go to the same places because I was in another "less violent" :lol: scooter club and we were interested in the same sort of venues. The Cougars were obsessed with hunting skinheads or bone heads as they called them. I was obsessed with hunting girls, simples!

Anyway this train was half full of Scooter Boys/Soul Boys and half full of casuals. Both sets were "bone head hunting". Again without naming names, this one lad (who shares his name with a well known food warehouse on Leckwith) walks up to this casual and asked him very politely if he could borrow his baseball bat that he was holding. The Casual gave him the bat, he then walked over to the window, and as the train was leaving the platform, there were these boneheads standing on the end of the platform, he wrapped the bat around the head of one of them. He then wiped the bat and handed it nicely back to the casual followed by a "thank you very much kind sir". Everyone was just pissing themselves.

At Barry there were literally thousands of boneheads and they were just wondering around aimlessly in one mass group, with a hand full of coppers herding them. I don't know what the casuals were doing but the Cougars were picking them off. Each one was like he was collecting scalps to compare with the others after.
I just wanted to get to this particular pub where I knew a few lovely ladies would be, so I decided to go there with a mate who had only recently joined the Cougars. Up until that point he was the type of lad who you would get to do your homework for you, but over night he turned in to a nutter, just by joining. We'd be walking along talking about stuff and he'd go, hang on a minute, he'd then beat the shit out of a bone head we'd just passed, and then carry on walking and talking where we left off. I said to him, you do realise you just beat the shit out of that bone head don't you?

Like I said that's my only memory of casuals really. We used to hang out in the Ocean Club down the docks, which by the way was the only place where there was never any trouble believe it or not. They used to have some top bands playing there and a well known motorbike club used to hang out there as well. No casuals though.

We used to go to a lot of Soul Nights, where things used to kick off now and again but I don't think there were any casuals involved. Obviously Soul Nights were our favoured hang out.

Anyway Annis, back to my point, I'm with your very good friend, I'll have a tab of what you were taking, because we never run from anyone "EVER", least of all Boris bloody Becker!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You weren't in Brighton for the 1980 August Bank Holiday then.

Bits of vespas and lambrettas all over place.....put there by a Doctor

..DOCTOR f*cking MARTIN :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:35 pm

The only mods I don't like are on the ccmb

Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:38 pm

1980 was just slightly before my time. DM's though were my favoured footware, then and now. :ayatollah: Wherever I go now people come up and admire my 14-hole ox blood DM's. Very expensive though, can't remember paying that much back then.

Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:17 pm

Berwyn wrote:1980 was just slightly before my time. DM's though were my favoured footware, then and now. :ayatollah: Wherever I go now people come up and admire my 14-hole ox blood DM's. Very expensive though, can't remember paying that much back then.

Brogues used to hurt as well.....a very short sharp pain as oppossed the concussive pain exerted by the doctor :old:

Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:35 pm

Id have loved to have been around back then, i think i would have been a mod maybe, or casual :ayatollah: the emo, goth etc scenes of today look daft lol

Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:47 pm

mr mogreenz loads us into the music and football scene in llanrumney/ rumney back then . the cross inn and carpenters used to be jumping what with us skins , punks, mods and casuals listening to secret affair , the jam , the skids , boomtown rats etc . great times :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:09 pm

MOZZER1 wrote:mr mogreenz loads us into the music and football scene in llanrumney/ rumney back then . the cross inn and carpenters used to be jumping what with us skins , punks, mods and casuals listening to secret affair , the jam , the skids , boomtown rats etc . great times :ayatollah:

sounds like they were the days m8 :ayatollah: i loves listening to storys and looking at pics of llanrumney and cardiff back in the day, seems like there were plenty of real charicters back then lyk :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:12 pm

mr'mogreenz wrote:Id have loved to have been around back then, i think i would have been a mod maybe, or casual :ayatollah: the emo, goth etc scenes of today look daft lol

Eurghhh emo. They haven't a clue today.

I do wish I had been around then too :(

Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:21 pm

i remember hartlepool,got nicked lol and the skinhead 's scene just be listening to some violent storm rip boys.went to barry a few times on bank holiday would i go back to those days :old: no.some good memories though.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:31 pm

I can vouch for the Whitchurch mod running as i was there also.A pitched battle by the Gabalfa flyover with the mods i recall,then getting on a bus with a Mr Beer & Mr England as the police arrived.Also recall saturdays in city centre before the city games,outside Olympus sports mod bashing!. :old:

Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:37 pm

I HAD RED HAIR, AND I WORE BLACK LIPSTICK, WOW THEY WERE THE DAYS :lol:

Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:49 pm

I was a casual a mod then back to a casual after I had my scooter nicked :lol:

Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:11 pm

punk. :old: Pistols are Gods. ;)

Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:58 pm

Forever Blue wrote:WAS ANYONE ON HERE A MOD/SKINHEAD/PUNK or CASUAL in the 80's ?

Casual for me, Running the Mods in Barry Island/Porthcawl/Transport Cafe and Pontypridd :lol: :lol:

I forgot and in Hartlepool 2 hrs before City played there :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I can see it now Annis in the papers tomorrow Annis Abraham running our Moderators all over Barry Island :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:33 pm

Love this subject. was a scooter boy and remember the Ely lot very well, :D I used to knock about with you too Annis, although when we were about 15 ish. Berwyn although I don't know you on here, we are bound to know each other, I wonder if you can remember the casuals faces when they came to the national rally in Porthcawl 87, they thought it would be a walkover until faced with 1000's of skins/scooterboys.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:42 pm

Andysince76 wrote:Love this subject. was a scooter boy and remember the Ely lot very well, :D I used to knock about with you too Annis, although when we were about 15 ish. Berwyn although I don't know you on here, we are bound to know each other, I wonder if you can remember the casuals faces when they came to the national rally in Porthcawl 87, they thought it would be a walkover until faced with 1000's of skins/scooterboys.

Great to hear from you Andy :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:46 pm

Was a skin head when it was coming to the end,was 1985when I left school but wile in school allways had the 8 hole martings and cockney arington,was not allowed to have skinhead as my parens thought I looked a tw*t as it was.