Re: Cardiff Top Rank

Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:17 am

my bag, sorry swan, it was the stoneleigh in porthcawl

Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:36 am

Demus wrote:Angelwitch
The Damned
B.A.D
Chiefs of Relief (Paul Cook/Matthew Ashman)
The Cramps
The Age of Chance

We had great venues back then

New Ocean Club (Troubador)

Sigue Sigue Sputnik (Yeah I know)
Fields of the Nephillim
The Damned
The Icicle Works
Siouxsie and the Banshees
Gene loves Jezebel

Students union

Julian Cope
The Cult
Level 42
Icicle Works
The Christians

Loads more plus St Davids Hall, The Mars Bar, The Ice rink (Faith No More), Monte's (Stump)

I wish I could remember more of them

REM played the New Ocean club in front of about 12 people. Some other memorable gigs at Students Union were Psyschedelic Furs, Ramones, Tom Petty [supported by Boomtown Rats], Cocteau Twins and The Levellers - so many good gigs in Cardiff over the years its hard to remember them all but I saw pretty much everyone between Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers in 1977 to U2 & Bowie at the Millenium in the 90s. The ones I missed and never saw anywhere which I regret were The Buzzcocks and The Only Ones.

Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:47 am

Seen the Buzzcocks in 2007 in the Muni hall Pontypridd, still as good as ever. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:31 pm

I remember seeing the Anti Nowhere League there in 82 I think. Was quite a lively night with all the punks and skins going at each other :lol:

Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:31 pm

099 sound system wrote:I remember seeing the Anti Nowhere League there in 82 I think. Was quite a lively night with all the punks and skins going at each other :lol:

i was there :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:42 pm

099 sound system wrote:I remember seeing the Anti Nowhere League there in 82 I think. Was quite a lively night with all the punks and skins going at each other :lol:

Animals!! :D

Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:04 am

With all these great stories about the "Top Rank". There must be a book waiting to be written........Annis what you reckon :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:12 am

nobber wrote:Saw Amen Corner in the Kensington Club in Newport, anyone remember Gino Washington and the Ramjam Band? :ayatollah:

Was Geno Washington the guy that "Dexy 's Midnight Runners" payed homage to in that song ? :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:26 pm

Bluebird1962 wrote:
Demus wrote:Angelwitch
The Damned
B.A.D
Chiefs of Relief (Paul Cook/Matthew Ashman)
The Cramps
The Age of Chance

We had great venues back then

New Ocean Club (Troubador)

Sigue Sigue Sputnik (Yeah I know)
Fields of the Nephillim
The Damned
The Icicle Works
Siouxsie and the Banshees
Gene loves Jezebel

Students union

Julian Cope
The Cult
Level 42
Icicle Works
The Christians

Loads more plus St Davids Hall, The Mars Bar, The Ice rink (Faith No More), Monte's (Stump)

I wish I could remember more of them

REM played the New Ocean club in front of about 12 people. Some other memorable gigs at Students Union were Psyschedelic Furs, Ramones, Tom Petty [supported by Boomtown Rats], Cocteau Twins and The Levellers - so many good gigs in Cardiff over the years its hard to remember them all but I saw pretty much everyone between Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers in 1977 to U2 & Bowie at the Millenium in the 90s. The ones I missed and never saw anywhere which I regret were The Buzzcocks and The Only Ones.

knew i new the name troubadour, thats it the now gym on rover way back of tremorfa.
yeh i seen zig zig sputnik there too was shite lol

Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:36 pm

i was at that gig too premier 1 :lol:

Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:06 pm

blue nile wrote:
nobber wrote:Saw Amen Corner in the Kensington Club in Newport, anyone remember Gino Washington and the Ramjam Band? :ayatollah:

Was Geno Washington the guy that "Dexy 's Midnight Runners" payed homage to in that song ? :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Yes mate. :ayatollah:

Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:44 am

Chris Rondella brilliant DJ when the band came on everyone went to the bar lol Sundays and Thursdays were best.
Saw Troggs Love Affair Walker Brothers to name but a few nice memories :)

Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:31 am

Dexys midnight runners played 2 songs then big fight and that was the end of it. :ayatollah:

Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:47 am

Dexys midnight runners played 2 songs then big fight and that was the end of it. :ayatollah:

Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:12 pm

Saw many madness ub40 the beat undertones best ever was seeing Kevin rowlan get hit by a bottle after saying iv seen all u Cardiff wankers run be 4

Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:24 pm

Simple Minds,Talk Talk, Stray Cats,Dexy's,Duran Duran,Depeche Mode,Lambrettas,Bad Manners,Selector comes to mind use to watch gigs on a Tuesday nights good times.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:33 pm

MOZZER1 wrote:pretty sure mid 80's not not exactly sure of the date . it was pretty mad in the mosh pit that's for sure ! if your into the psycho movement saw the meteors in montys late 80's on charles street too

great times :old: :ayatollah:

i know they toured 84 .saw em at brum odeon.not ideal.saw the cats at the lycum london .s.l.f i saw them a few times too.my mate supported them when they played wolves ten or so yr ago .jakes burns and some others really.still decent though

Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:44 pm

the meteors played a gig at burntwood(next to chasetown) baths in 85.lasted about 10mins as it kicked off

Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:07 pm

I saw U.F.O there,because sophia gardens had collapsed.Also tigers of pan tang and the best weslh band ever BUDGIE.I still think Cardiff City should come out to Breadfan :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:24 pm

theclaw wrote:I saw U.F.O there,because sophia gardens had collapsed.Also tigers of pan tang and the best weslh band ever BUDGIE.I still think Cardiff City should come out to Breadfan :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I had a ticket to see Iron Maiden in Sophia Gardens when the bloody roof collapsed :lol: Saw them a few days earlier in Bristol Colston Hall 8-)

As for City coming out at the start of every home game to Breadfan - that would be ace! It would really get the fans up for it, and Budgie are a Cardiff band too :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:15 pm

haha! i saw squeeze at the top rank in 1982 on their farewell tour [they are still going now] ... i was 16 years old .... great days!

Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:31 pm

The first band I saw there Was UK Subs ( going to see them on thursday only 32 years later ), also saw Damned, Cramps, Echo and the Bunnymen, Theatre of Hate, Killing Joke, Funboy 3, definately the best place for gigs Cardiff has seen.