Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Cardiff Top Rank

Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:18 pm

late sixties just a young teenager then used to go on saturday mornings then after to the sarsporela bar in the morgan arcade great times

Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:28 pm

Cant belive when I stared this thread, how many people have so much good memories of the place, just go,s to show how music and football is twinned in our lives. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:33 pm

Ridifrid just going to post that but thought no one on here that old. Sunday Night club best night around late sixties with Ronnie Keen Resident band. and Chris DJ. Could drive home pissed in those days as well. Great Days. Tosh used to be there with Sue and other City youngsters.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:37 pm

I'm sure the Amen corner played there a few times in the late 60's, one of my aunties was a big fan back then.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:59 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:I'm sure the Amen corner played there a few times in the late 60's, one of my aunties was a big fan back then.

Did they sing " If paradise is half as nice" Andy fairweather low the singer is a Cardiff boy as well. :old: :lol:

Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:11 pm

Saw Amen Corner in the Kensington Club in Newport, anyone remember Gino Washington and the Ramjam Band? :ayatollah:

Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:36 pm

Magners wrote:Sham 69
The Damned
UK Subs
SLF
Discharge
Anti Pasti
The Ruts

All those plus The Clash, Eddie & The Hot Rods, Siouxsie & The Banshees, The Jam, X Ray Specs, The Specials, Madness, The Selector, Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers, Adam & The Ants, 999, The Psychadelic Furs, The New Hearts [aka Secret Affair],The Jam, The Ramones plus loads more punk bands that escape me for now as there were about five top bands a month during late 70s early 80s and worked there with Saxon [grim!!], Voice of the Beehive, Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet

Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:39 pm

blue nile wrote:
willie anderson wrote:great days at the rank,Specials sham69,Selector ub40 Buster Bloodvessell, Police,pretenders,Dexys midnight runners
the Clash The Damned,great days city in the afternoon into the albert straight from game then into the rank for the
gigs,some great nights there,Scrapping with Dexys's also Hammers fans at the Sham 69 gig and who remembers
when they used to have chinese doorman?Used to laugh they had about 20 of them working there.They couldn't srap to save there lives!Great times many memories like having a toke with Buster Bloodvessell at the first Bad Manners Gig only about 300 people there,What a great night he was mad as f**k!anyone else remember these nights? :ayatollah:

Did you see the Clash on the white riot tour 77 ? They were supported by the Buzzcocks, Subway Sect and the Slits, sad to hear of the death of Slits singer Arri Up a couple of months ago, Did the Sex Pistols ever play the Rank ? I remember they were banned form the venue on the "Anarchy" tour, and ended up playing a gig in Caerphilly, not sure what place this was though. :ayatollah:

I saw the Clash that night and if memory serves me right the Buzzcoks didn't turn up... Pistols did play there under a pseudo name but can't remember what it was now - I never saw them though.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:41 pm

LONGDOG wrote:
blue nile wrote:
stan106 wrote:Did the Ruts playe there?
I heard a punk got chucked off the Balcony by some skinheads

Not sure if they played there, but i remember seeing them in Port Talbot, cant remember name of the club, but i remember it was inside some sort of shopping precinct, perphaps some older posters on here from Port Talbot could remember the name of it ? :old: :lol:

Was it the Afan Lido? For some reason that rings a bell. I think they played at Stowaways in Newport too around that time. I can't remember the Ruts ever playing at Top Rank.

Splodgnessabounds played there and the was ariot when the singer made a joke about Johnny Owen the boxer not long after he died. I am sure The Ruts did play the Top Rank but it was abandoned half way through as it got a bit tasty with the punks and the skins.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:17 pm

blue nile wrote:

Not sure if they played there, but i remember seeing them in Port Talbot, cant remember name of the club, but i remember it was inside some sort of shopping precinct, perphaps some older posters on here from Port Talbot could remember the name of it ? :old: :lol:

The Troubadour :D

Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:18 pm

" DEXY MIDNIGHT RUNNERS PLAYED THERE "
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:53 pm

blackswan wrote:
blue nile wrote:

Thats the one, The Troubador ,Cheers mate. :ayatollah:

Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:49 am

Forever Blue wrote:" DEXY MIDNIGHT RUNNERS PLAYED THERE "
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wasn,t there a bit of bother at that gig Annis, I think Dexy,s road crew were all Birmingham city fans, and Kevin Rowland who is a big Wolves fan,said on stage , " Where,s this Famous f**king Soul Crew then", needless to say it all kicked off. :ayatollah:

Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:31 am

One of the highlights for me was the Live Stiffs tour - Dury,Costello,Wreckless and co, fantastic. Saw XTC there twice, the last being their last ever UK gig before Andy Partridge walked off the stage in Paris and the band never toured again. Talking of last tours, wasn't the Beatles last ever UK gig in Cardiff at the Capitol? Saw some great bands at the rank like Slade, Clash (who were supported by the Coventry Specials?), Skids, X-Ray Spex, The Stranglers, The Police. The mention of the Pistols playing Cardiff Top Rank, didn't they play there billed as Spunk (or something similar?).

Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:53 am

TonyBlues wrote:One of the highlights for me was the Live Stiffs tour - Dury,Costello,Wreckless and co, fantastic. Saw XTC there twice, the last being their last ever UK gig before Andy Partridge walked off the stage in Paris and the band never toured again. Talking of last tours, wasn't the Beatles last ever UK gig in Cardiff at the Capitol? Saw some great bands at the rank like Slade, Clash (who were supported by the Coventry Specials?), Skids, X-Ray Spex, The Stranglers, The Police. The mention of the Pistols playing Cardiff Top Rank, didn't they play there billed as Spunk (or something similar?).

Someone told me last night that the Pistols done a tour as The Spots ( Sex Pistols On Tour). The live stiffs tour that must have been brilliant. :ayatollah:

Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:02 am

The Johnny Owen joke was ' What is Wales' favourite vegetable?' - I'm not a violent person but I think even I would have got up at that jibe ( he was in a coma at the time ).

Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:17 am

stan106 wrote:The Johnny Owen joke was ' What is Wales' favourite vegetable?' - I'm not a violent person but I think even I would have got up at that jibe ( he was in a coma at the time ).

Thats what Splodgnesabounds said about Johhny Owen was it, nowonder the the crowd went nuts, I think i would have as well if I heard that !! :shock:

Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:28 am

TonyBlues wrote:One of the highlights for me was the Live Stiffs tour - Dury,Costello,Wreckless and co, fantastic. Saw XTC there twice, the last being their last ever UK gig before Andy Partridge walked off the stage in Paris and the band never toured again. Talking of last tours, wasn't the Beatles last ever UK gig in Cardiff at the Capitol? Saw some great bands at the rank like Slade, Clash (who were supported by the Coventry Specials?), Skids, X-Ray Spex, The Stranglers, The Police. The mention of the Pistols playing Cardiff Top Rank, didn't they play there billed as Spunk (or something similar?).

Did you think that Slade were any good when you saw them, as I saw them with about 4 mates at the Top Rank around 1974, only I thought that they were shit live? They were certainly entertaining, but their music didn't sound anything like their albums or singles stuff?

The support act were the Sensational Alex Harvey Band, who were Fecking awesome, did 3 encores if I remember rightly and nobody wanted them to get off the stage!

I then saw them (Alex Harvey) at The Capital a few months later, when they were the main act and they were brilliant again!

I went with the same mates to the Top Rank around 1974 again, when we went to see Roy Wood's Wizzard!

They only played for about 45 minutes, before they went off for a break, only to find that somebody had rifled their wallets out of their changing rooms and wouldn't come back on, until they got their money back!

I have no idea who nicked their wallets, but whoever it was, saved me another 45 minutes or so of watching and listening to probably the worst band, that I have ever seen live! :D :ayatollah:

Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:22 am

The "Sensational Alex Harvey Band", what a band they were, never saw them in Cardiff, but remember seeing them at the Reading festival in 78 or thereabouts :old:. Forgot all about Wizzard ,Roy Wood formed them after falling out with Jeff Lynne of ELO, something about who was the real leader of the band. :ayatollah:

Watch Cardiff C. vs Burnley Live Tonight

Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:22 pm

Watch Cardiff C. vs Burnley Live on Streaming free TV Online Hd - HQ ESPN 15 February, 2011 Big Match Stream-tv-arena.
Live Match streaming Cardiff C. vs Burnley TV Online Justin.tv ESPN Live stream tv arena Online 15/02/2011, Feb 15 at 19:45 cet on England - League Championship .
Remember this event and do not foget the schedule.
http://stream-tv-arena.blogspot.com/2011/02/watch-cardiff-c-vs-burnley-live-on.html
Also you can watching Live from this TV Channel : ESPN Caribbean, ESPN HD Brasil, ESPN Latin America Andina, ESPN Latin America North, ESPN Latin America South, ESPN Mobile TV, ESPN Play Argentina, ESPN Sur, ESPN Venezuela, ESPN2, ESPN3.com USA, ESPND, Sky Italia, Sky Sports 1, Sky Sports HD 1, Sport.TV Liga Inglesa, Sport.TV2, TSN 2
England - League Championship
19:45 Cardiff C. vs Burnley
http://stream-tv-arena.blogspot.com/201 ... ve-on.html

Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:04 pm

the beat 1980
bad manners 1981 :ayatollah:

Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:44 pm

remember some nutter from canton driving a mini into the doors :D

Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:17 pm

mynachdy blue wrote:remember some nutter from canton driving a mini into the doors :D

Never knew that The Doors played at the Rank!! :D

Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:42 pm

Labby Doos wrote:
mynachdy blue wrote:remember some nutter from canton driving a mini into the doors :D

Never knew that The Doors played at the Rank!! :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:28 pm

1st band I saw in the Rank was The Jam in 1977,the last Band I saw there saw Pill (Public Image Ltd) 1983,and saw most bands inbetween those dates.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:35 pm

I seen Santana in the rank

Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:05 pm

Angelwitch
The Damned
B.A.D
Chiefs of Relief (Paul Cook/Matthew Ashman)
The Cramps
The Age of Chance

We had great venues back then

New Ocean Club (Troubador)

Sigue Sigue Sputnik (Yeah I know)
Fields of the Nephillim
The Damned
The Icicle Works
Siouxsie and the Banshees
Gene loves Jezebel

Students union

Julian Cope
The Cult
Level 42
Icicle Works
The Christians

Loads more plus St Davids Hall, The Mars Bar, The Ice rink (Faith No More), Monte's (Stump)

I wish I could remember more of them

Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:29 pm

Just came across this, only goes back to the early 80's but it might jog a few memories

http://www.songkick.com/venues/44481-to ... gigography

Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:13 pm

Demus wrote:Just came across this, only goes back to the early 80's but it might jog a few memories

http://www.songkick.com/venues/44481-to ... gigography

That was fantastic information,looking at that, it jogged my memory of bands I didn,t think I had seen there, Cheers mate that was great. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:58 pm

blackswan wrote:
blue nile wrote:

the troubadour was in porthcawl, it was amazin, had a suspended floor you could feel it bounce when you danced on it