Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:41 am

Magners wrote:Sham 69
The Damned
UK Subs
SLF
Discharge
Anti Pasti
The Ruts
and all these too my memeory must be failing a bit i remember the near riot with pursey and his sham :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:anti pasti was supporting the rejects i think, and if i was nor mistaken was the opressed supporting too???

Re: Cardiff Top Rank

Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:44 am

willie anderson wrote:great days at the rank,Specials sham69,Selector ub40 Buster Bloodvessell, Police,pretenders,Dexys midnight runners
the Clash The Damned,great days city in the afternoon into the albert straight from game then into the rank for the
gigs,some great nights there,Scrapping with Dexys's also Hammers fans at the Sham 69 gig and who remembers
when they used to have chinese doorman?Used to laugh they had about 20 of them working there.They couldn't srap to save there lives!Great times many memories like having a toke with Buster Bloodvessell at the first Bad Manners Gig only about 300 people there,What a great night he was mad as f**k!anyone else remember these nights? :ayatollah:

Did you see the Clash on the white riot tour 77 ? They were supported by the Buzzcocks, Subway Sect and the Slits, sad to hear of the death of Slits singer Arri Up a couple of months ago, Did the Sex Pistols ever play the Rank ? I remember they were banned form the venue on the "Anarchy" tour, and ended up playing a gig in Caerphilly, not sure what place this was though. :ayatollah:

Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:49 am

i got rufused entry to the clash gig i was only 14 and my moustache mascara was running :lol: :lol: :lol: i think the pistols announced a gig there but it got cancelled

canm you remember the splodgenessabounds gig at bridgend when the band got kicked to f**k for dissing jonny owen the boxer, and then they said something about the city and a riot followed :lol:

Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:55 am

bluebirdbaz wrote:i got rufused entry to the clash gig i was only 14 and my moustache mascara was running :lol: :lol: :lol: i think the pistols announced a gig there but it got cancelled

canm you remember the splodgenessabounds gig at bridgend when the band got kicked to f**k for dissing jonny owen the boxer, and then they said something about the city and a riot followed :lol:

Moustache Mascara :lol: Spolodgenesabounds - two pints of lager and a packet of crisps please, what a great track that was. :D

Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:37 am

Did the Ruts playe there?
I heard a punk got chucked off the Balcony by some skinheads

Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:13 am

bluebirdbaz wrote:
The Damned
UK Subs
SLF
Discharge
Anti Pasti
The Ruts
and all these too my memeory must be failing a bit i remember the near riot with pursey and his sham :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:anti pasti was supporting the rejects i think, and if i was nor mistaken was the opressed supporting too???

When the Rejects played there they were supported by the kidz next door, which included Grant Flemming (ICF) i think. I remember Anti Pasti supporting the UK Subs there once. The only time I saw the oppressed there was supporting the Test Tube Babies which was around 83.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:19 am

stan106 wrote:Did the Ruts playe there?

Not sure if they played there, but i remember seeing them in Port Talbot, cant remember name of the club, but i remember it was inside some sort of shopping precinct, perphaps some older posters on here from Port Talbot could remember the name of it ? :old: :lol:

Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:24 am

Great place for gigs, i remember seeing The stranglers, The Clash, Cockney Rejects [i think?], Sham 69, The Two tone toure [Specials, Madness & Selector]' all in the late 70's. & a few years later Level 42 [around 1982]. I think that was the last time i went there.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:27 am

coppler wrote:hawkwind
budgie
thin lizzy
rory gallagher
suzi quatro
loads more i can't think of right now....some huge fights in there during the punk years

I saw Gallagher in the Capital Cinema in 1973 he was amazing best live guitarist I've ever seen

Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:32 am

LONGDOG wrote:
bluebirdbaz wrote:
The Damned
UK Subs
SLF
Discharge
Anti Pasti
The Ruts

When the Rejects played there they were supported by the kidz next door, which included Grant Flemming (ICF) i think. I remember Anti Pasti supporting the UK Subs there once. The only time I saw the oppressed there was supporting the Test Tube Babies which was around 83.

I was at that Oppressed gig in 83 when they supported "Peter and the test tube babies" in a twist of fate i was talking to "ducky" from the oppressed a couple of years ago at a gig, he told me that the test tube babies supported them many years later !!!

Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:36 am

blue nile wrote:

Not sure if they played there, but i remember seeing them in Port Talbot, cant remember name of the club, but i remember it was inside some sort of shopping precinct, perphaps some older posters on here from Port Talbot could remember the name of it ? :old: :lol:

Was it the Afan Lido? For some reason that rings a bell. I think they played at Stowaways in Newport too around that time. I can't remember the Ruts ever playing at Top Rank.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:37 am

Also remember "Grannies" club, above the now "Prince of Wales" & "Philharmonic", watching The Damned, SLF, Undertones & UK Subs & the Cardiff group Victimize, mate in work Andy Johnson played guitar for them. Also saw UK Subs about eight years ago in a club in Caerphilly, my brothers band, Doc Savage, were supporting them.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:39 am

Being an :old: b*stard I saw the following in there in the 70's

Nice
Family
Colosseum
Argent

Many more just can't remember who, it was in the 70's :shock:

Saw loads in the Capital and Uni also plus Sophia Gardens

Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:43 am

LONGDOG wrote:
blue nile wrote:

Was it the Afan Lido? For some reason that rings a bell. I think they played at Stowaways in Newport too around that time. I can't remember the Ruts ever playing at Top Rank.

No it wasn,t the Afan Lido, it was a really small club , can,t for the life of me,think what it was called, It was pre Babylon,s Burning era, so they were not really well known , I think they released the Album "The Crack" a couple of weeks after the gig .

Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:49 am

RICK+CCFC wrote:Also remember "Grannies" club, above the now "Prince of Wales" & "Philharmonic", watching The Damned, SLF, Undertones & UK Subs & the Cardiff group Victimize, mate in work Andy Johnson played guitar for them. Also saw UK Subs about eight years ago in a club in Caerphilly, my brothers band, Doc Savage, were supporting them.

That UK subs/Doc Savage gig was 8 years ago?! I feel so old now. Only feels like yesterday. It was a weird venue to have it in.

Which ones your brother in savage, mate? I love seeing them live :ayatollah:

Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:50 am

Did the Sex Pistols ever play the Rank ? I remember they were banned form the venue on the "Anarchy" tour, and ended up playing a gig in Caerphilly, not sure what place this was though.

that would have been the old cinema in caerphilly, own by stan stennat i was there, (well for 20 mins )till the cops came in and shut the gig down coz of rioting mums and dads outside lol
top rank what a place, jumped off the balcony pissed one year, f*cking mad

seen the
damned
specials
madness
selecter
fun boy three
bananarama
ub40
omd
great days great venue

oh and alvin stardust up the double diamond in caerphilly (annis knows that venue lol)

Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:53 am

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:
RICK+CCFC wrote:Also remember "Grannies" club, above the now "Prince of Wales" & "Philharmonic", watching The Damned, SLF, Undertones & UK Subs & the Cardiff group Victimize, mate in work Andy Johnson played guitar for them. Also saw UK Subs about eight years ago in a club in Caerphilly, my brothers band, Doc Savage, were supporting them.

That UK subs/Doc Savage gig was 8 years ago?! I feel so old now. Only feels like yesterday. It was a weird venue to have it in.

I think its was about 8 or nine years ago. My brother is Miguel, the lead singer. I also know PL well to, we were in school together. I used to help out on the door for them, from time to time.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:55 am

The Premier 1 wrote:
Did the Sex Pistols ever play the Rank ? I remember they were banned form the venue on the "Anarchy" tour, and ended up playing a gig in Caerphilly, not sure what place this was though.

that would have been the old cinema in caerphilly, own by stan stennat i was there, (well for 20 mins )till the cops came in and shut the gig down coz of rioting mums and dads outside lol
top rank what a place, jumped off the balcony pissed one year, f*cking mad

seen the
damned
specials
madness
selecter
fun boy three
bananarama
ub40
omd
great days great venue

oh and alvin stardust up the double diamond in caerphilly (annis knows that venue lol)

How many people were actualy inside that night ? ive seen clips of people protesting outside, can you imagine that happening to a band these days :lol: Alvin Stardust now your talking :lol: :ayatollah:

Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:12 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:

I think its was about 8 or nine years ago. My brother is Miguel, the lead singer. I also know PL well to, we were in school together. I used to help out on the door for them, from time to time.

I'd have been about 14/15 if I remember, so yeah, 8 or 9 years ago :o was very surreal seeing the subs in caerphilly.

Miguel and pete are sound, I haven't been to see them play for ages though - I was going to see them in the picc a few momths back. My father was in school with them too I think.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:16 pm

Not sure if they have split up now, they did Mega day last year.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:39 pm

blue nile wrote:I was thinking about this place the other day, and the bands iv,e seen there, my great nights were Echo and the Bunnymen 1981, Killing Joke 1982, Ian drury and the blockheads 1979 and UB40 in 1980 plus many more i saw there over the years. anybody like to share, some of their great memories they had there. :ayatollah:

You remember the killing Joke gig where the crowd had to be moved from the front of the stage because Jaz hated all the spitting? :D Great days with great bands and songs. Feel sorry for today's youngsters brought up on that X FACTOR crap. That's why the happy clappers in the Canton Stand cant make up any songs these days. 8-) :lol:

Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:52 pm

i remember it as vision seen:

so solid crew
pay as you go
heartless crew
and many top dj's

Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:41 pm

i was there with dapper, marco and all the boys, it was at the club by pedyrehol was that f*cking 6 years ago :o :o also slf at blackwood miners :ayatollah:

Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:52 pm

I remember Grannies Rick!

Saw SLF there and, to my eternal shame Spandau Ballet in their tea towel wearing, "To Cut A Long Story Short" days!

They were shit mind!

Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:09 pm

just recalled bad memory from rank met my bloody wife there :old: :old: :( :( :( :!: :!: :!:

Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:17 pm

me we must both have good memories that was a long time ago :old: :old: :old: :D

Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:12 pm

Labby Doos wrote:
blue nile wrote:I was thinking about this place the other day, and the bands iv,e seen there, my great nights were Echo and the Bunnymen 1981, Killing Joke 1982, Ian drury and the blockheads 1979 and UB40 in 1980 plus many more i saw there over the years. anybody like to share, some of their great memories they had there. :ayatollah:

You remember the killing Joke gig where the crowd had to be moved from the front of the stage because Jaz hated all the spitting? :D Great days with great bands and songs. Feel sorry for today's youngsters brought up on that X FACTOR crap. That's why the happy clappers in the Canton Stand cant make up any songs these days. 8-) :lol:

Yes great gig, great times, funny thing ive got two sons the oldest is 19, I saw killing Joke in 1982, he saw them supporting, (whats the band Pamela Andersons ex was in), my memory,s gone again :old: at The C.I.A. in 2007 He said Killing Joke were awsome. :ayatollah:

Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:52 pm

BlueInHeath wrote:
The Damned
UK Subs
SLF
Discharge
Anti Pasti
The Ruts

I saw sham69 there, was it the time pursey threatened to walk of stage if they carried on gobbing at him which thay did thus he walked off stage and a riot ensued?.

I remember that gig the big f**king fairy. Saw the Ruts, SLF and The Dammed to,

Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:05 pm

blue nile wrote:
Labby Doos wrote:

Yes great gig, great times, funny thing ive got two sons the oldest is 19, I saw killing Joke in 1982, he saw them supporting, (whats the band Pamela Andersons ex was in), my memory,s gone again :old: at The C.I.A. in 2007 He said Killing Joke were awsome. :ayatollah:

Motley Crue I think. I just bought three CDS from Concert Live Website of Killing Joke live in London's Forum and Apollo gigs last year at seven quid each for three discs a set. Bargain. :D

Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:11 pm

Motley Crue thats the name, cheers mate, I would have been awake all night trying to remember that. :lol: :lol: :lol: