Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff Top Rank

Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:12 pm

I was thinking about this place the other day, and the bands iv,e seen there, my great nights were Echo and the Bunnymen 1981, Killing Joke 1982, Ian drury and the blockheads 1979 and UB40 in 1980 plus many more i saw there over the years. anybody like to share, some of their great memories they had there. :ayatollah:

Re: Cardiff Top Rank

Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:15 pm

blue nile wrote:I was thinking about this place the other day, and the bands iv,e seen there, my great nights were Echo and the Bunnymen 1981, Killing Joke 1982, Ian drury and the blockheads 1979 and UB40 in 1980 plus many more i saw there over the years. anybody like to share, some of their great memories they had there. :ayatollah:

I have seen Oasis there and Shabba Ranks it was called a different name them Astoria and Panama Joes i think :ayatollah:
Cracking place. :)

Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:16 pm

Where was it?

Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:19 pm

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:Where was it?

In Queen Street :ayatollah:

Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:22 pm

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:Where was it?
Queen Street Cardiff about half way down on the left hand side if you were walking from the castle end.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:24 pm

the cramps , the stray cats and SLF top of my head sure there's a few more :ayatollah:

Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:25 pm

Thanks gents.

I'd heard of it, but never really knew where it was. The bands mentioned so far, however, make me wish I wasn't a mere toddler in the scheme of things :(

Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:27 pm

MOZZER1 wrote:the cramps , the stray cats and SLF top of my head sure there's a few more :ayatollah:

I would have loved to have seen the Cramps mate , what year was that ? :ayatollah:

Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:29 pm

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:Thanks gents.

I'd heard of it, but never really knew where it was. The bands mentioned so far, however, make me wish I wasn't a mere toddler in the scheme of things :(

Even Mr Loverman himself Shabba Ranks :lol:

Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:30 pm

Bowmonster wrote:

Hey, given the lack of anything to do in the city anymore, I'd kill to see shabba ;)

Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:34 pm

pretty sure mid 80's not not exactly sure of the date . it was pretty mad in the mosh pit that's for sure ! if your into the psycho movement saw the meteors in montys late 80's on charles street too

great times :old: :ayatollah:

Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:37 pm

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:
Bowmonster wrote:

Hey, given the lack of anything to do in the city anymore, I'd kill to see shabba ;)

He was very good to be fair, Just kept you waiting for ages :)

Do you know what happened to him ?

Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:40 pm

MOZZER1 wrote:pretty sure mid 80's not not exactly sure of the date . it was pretty mad in the mosh pit that's for sure ! if your into the psycho movement saw the meteors in montys late 80's on charles street too

great times :old: :ayatollah:

The Meteors another great band, i think they were from Deptford, great tracks "My Daddy is a Vampire" ,"Voodoo Rhythem" to name but two, did you by any chance know Sparks and Richard Thomas from "Demented are go" ? :ayatollah:

Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:41 pm

Worked the bar when it was Astoria, Oasis and The Prodigy both played there back then.

Some top DJs over the years too, loved it.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:41 pm

hawkwind
budgie
thin lizzy
rory gallagher
suzi quatro
loads more i can't think of right now....some huge fights in there during the punk years

Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:46 pm

Bowmonster - I don't. Last time I saw him was on some documentary about homophobia in reggae or something a few years back

Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:49 pm

At the risk of sounding like Sludge of CCMB

Great Venue

Iron Maiden first uk tour, God the whole balcony was moving that night.

Roty Gallagher

Man

UFO

Gillan

Magnum

Robert Plant

Shit Bouncers though tried to ban Leathers at a Metal Gig.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:51 pm

no blue nile i didn't .couldn't get into bands like dememnted are go or the guana batz just the meteors and the cramps for me !

Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:12 pm

a club not for the faint hearted :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:20 pm

Saw loads of bands there.

The Damned
The Skids
The Undertones
OMD
The Police
SLF

They used to make you take off your belts and doc martens for the punk gigs and they'd put them in a box and on the way out at the end of the night you had to try to find your own belt/docs!

Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:25 pm

great days at the rank,Specials sham69,Selector ub40 Buster Bloodvessell, Police,pretenders,Dexys midnight runners
the Clash The Damned,great days city in the afternoon into the albert straight from game then into the rank for the
gigs,some great nights there,Scrapping with Dexys's also Hammers fans at the Sham 69 gig and who remembers
when they used to have chinese doorman?Used to laugh they had about 20 of them working there.They couldn't srap to save there lives!Great times many memories like having a toke with Buster Bloodvessell at the first Bad Manners Gig only about 300 people there,What a great night he was mad as f**k!anyone else remember these nights? :ayatollah:

Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:37 pm

Boy George and Heatwave to name but a few :lol:

Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:39 pm

HA HA bluecyw . i would never admit that :lol:

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:49 pm

Sham 69
The Damned
UK Subs
SLF
Discharge
Anti Pasti
The Ruts

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:53 pm

I loved the Top Rank when I was a teenager, saw Manfred Mann and Paul Jones (Pretty Flamingo) and The Who, actually met Keith Moon (drummer) on the night, this was during the late sixties. :old:

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:58 pm

Also used to go to Bristol Top Rank as well (just to spread the seed, so to speak) saw the Move and P.P. Arnold there. :old:

Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:13 am

Magners wrote:Sham 69
The Damned
UK Subs
SLF
Discharge
Anti Pasti
The Ruts

I saw sham69 there, was it the time pursey threatened to walk of stage if they carried on gobbing at him which thay did thus he walked off stage and a riot ensued?.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:17 am

This thread has brought back real good memories for me. :old:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30p0PJrHrgE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zra0pjwlgEA

Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:39 am

slf, spizz, adam and his ants, exploited, cockney rejects,ian dury, and in our little jackland toprank siouxie and her banshees :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: had some brilliant times down there, what is the place now???

Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:39 am

Who can remember when the only acts there were Ronnie Keene and his band and the DJ was Chris Rondella :old: :old: :old: