Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

YOUNG GUNS - A QUESTION _FAO RIDOFRID

Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:43 pm

Sorry if you have explained this before (i'm new to the board) but in the sticky you mention "development centres" what do you mean by this - will these be coaching sessions at existing leisure centres? would it be for all ages.?

Re: YOUNG GUNS - A QUESTION _FAO RIDOFRID

Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:59 pm

Yes mate

Development centres are set up in Cardiff,the valleys,Carmarthen to the west to Gloucester, Monmouth in the east and even in Bristol area. They get a small amount of funding from football for all organisation and other donations and all this money is ring fenced to prevent the clubs getting their grubby paws on it lol.

The initial level enables kids of all abilities to participate and they are all given training and a close eye is kept on their development and if any of the kids are showing promise they are advanced to the next level. There are a number of levels and kids can move up ot down the pyramid depending on their performance. Obviously only the very exceptional will eventually end up in the Academy (then they would be wholly funded by the club) but the most important thing as far as I am concerned is that no child will be denied access to these development centres.

I have never excelled in sport unfortunately but I have always enjoyed taking part and having fun and giving me something positive to do with my time and that is why we are so keen to make this appeal work because kids these days more than ever deserve a chance. Let them live the dream !

Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:11 pm

So are these development centres already in place or are going to be set up.?

My interest is as a parent - although my son has gone to a couple of places for football training - its the first i've heard of these centres - I wrongly thought your post was initially about the academy.

Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:26 am

Mr_Picton wrote:So are these development centres already in place or are going to be set up.?

My interest is as a parent - although my son has gone to a couple of places for football training - its the first i've heard of these centres - I wrongly thought your post was initially about the academy.

Kids get selected at basic entry and go to a DC - if they a bit better they go to an ADC if they any good go to the Academy for 6 week " trial" if taken on stay, if not back to ADC.

From my own experience with my lad - he went through the system until it got to the Acad stage, we only went once and decided not to go again as it was very poorly organised that was our choice and of course everybody has that choice. We decided against it for many reasons. But of course its every one to their own and their choice.

I should have realised at the early stage when the 6 week invitation letter was forgot to be posted and was hand delivered to me in the pub the night before!

Thats a FACT . What followed after that was even worse! and gave us bloody good reason to knock it on the head and take an offer from somewhere far better organised.

Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:41 am

oh and to add to that the DC and ADC facilities are crap, and badly organised too all no doubt through under funding so all the money raised the better!!! thats why the YG fund raising is worthwhile if the group organising it can pull it off , because there is no doubt it certainly needs it!

Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:43 am

ridofrid wrote:Yes mate

Development centres are set up in Cardiff,the valleys,Carmarthen to the west to Gloucester, Monmouth in the east and even in Bristol area. They get a small amount of funding from football for all organisation and other donations and all this money is ring fenced to prevent the clubs getting their grubby paws on it lol.

The initial level enables kids of all abilities to participate and they are all given training and a close eye is kept on their development and if any of the kids are showing promise they are advanced to the next level. There are a number of levels and kids can move up ot down the pyramid depending on their performance. Obviously only the very exceptional will eventually end up in the Academy (then they would be wholly funded by the club) but the most important thing as far as I am concerned is that no child will be denied access to these development centres.

I have never excelled in sport unfortunately but I have always enjoyed taking part and having fun and giving me something positive to do with my time and that is why we are so keen to make this appeal work because kids these days more than ever deserve a chance. Let them live the dream !

Rid,

It was my experience that you were selected for the DC stage , has this changed and if so whats the difference now?

Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:46 am

ridofrid wrote:Yes mate

Are you talking about the Cardiff City Soccer Schools that everyone can attend during half terms and school holidays?

These are the ones that anybody can go as long as they pay- these are different to the DC entry level stage.

Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:57 am

Mr_Picton wrote:So are these development centres already in place or are going to be set up.?

Mr Picton,

From my understanding and experience this is what I have come across and think is correct.

Firstly CCFITC run half term and school holidays " Soccer Schools" fun camps basically, normally over 2 days at a cost aprox of £50 ish.

Then they run what they call DC ( Development centres) £20 every 6 weeks aprox

The upgrade from them is ADC ( Advanced Development Centres) £20 every 6 weeks aprox)

Next stage any good is a 6 week invitation to the Academy.

All totally underfunded with lack of equpiment and shite facilites. ( At one DC session we had to sweep up the broken glass first!)

System certainly needs massive funding.

Thats Cardiff City's way of finding talent.

Other Clubs do similar OR go in a different direction. When we were invited to Aston Villa ( wow - now theres an Academy for facilities! - thats prem money for you!) i asked the question do they run development etc in Brum.

The answer was no, they prefer to run top scouts watching boys playing for their Clubs instead and then invite them to their Academy. It seemed to work.

Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:41 pm

Firstly CCFITC run half term and school holidays " Soccer Schools" fun camps basically, normally over 2 days at a cost aprox of £50 ish.

The upgrade from them is ADC ( Advanced Development Centres) £20 every 6 weeks aprox)

All totally underfunded with lack of equpiment and shite facilites. ( At one DC session we had to sweep up the broken glass first!)

Daya,

Cheers for the response - the stages you show above would seem logical - my son's only 5 so its at the first stage "ie fun football sessions", but was interested to see how things could progress.

It seems to me that even though we have a professional and adequately funded Academy - more needs to be done at the early stages - which I guess is why there is the request for funding.

Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:46 pm

Dayo in converstaion with himself yet again. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:51 pm

Mr_Picton wrote:

Daya,

Cheers for the response - the stages you show above would seem logical - my son's only 5 so its at the first stage "ie fun football sessions", but was interested to see how things could progress.

It seems to me that even though we have a professional and adequately funded Academy - more needs to be done at the early stages - which I guess is why there is the request for funding.

Hi Mate,

From memory the DC starts at u 9 level. The Academy have what they call a " Prep squad too which in think starts around 8/9 ish too.

At 5 just pop along to any soccer school, for fun and enjoyment. ( thats the main thing) City run one but so do many others too during School Holidays. You have plenty of choice.

City one is underfunded and in truth not worth the 40/50 quid. Hopefully the fund raising will make a difference to that in the future - basically they sell it on the badge of Cardiff City .

My advice if your lad did turn out to have a footballing talent would be to stay away from current Cardiff City systems and enter another , because their are many other choices.

Hopefully of course City one day will get their act together . The fund raising can only help.

Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:57 pm

My son is attending soccer sessions now I wouldn't call it a "school" as its more fun based but that ok - its to get their interest up - the coach works well with the kids at that age - so wont change in forseeable future.

May attend CCFC sessions at half term in the future just to see what they are like but probably when he's older.

Thing is - I have three sons so- not cheap! - I will have to think about selling a kidney when they are all attending sessions. :lol:

Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:09 pm

Mr_Picton wrote:My son is attending soccer sessions now I wouldn't call it a "school" as its more fun based but that ok - its to get their interest up - the coach works well with the kids at that age - so wont change in forseeable future.

May attend CCFC sessions at half term in the future just to see what they are like but probably when he's older.

Thing is - I have three sons so- not cheap! - I will have to think about selling a kidney when they are all attending sessions. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:22 pm

BigGwynram wrote:Dayo in converstaion with himself yet again. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mr Picton,

Gwyn and Annis have an issue of if anyone doesnt tow the party line then they must be Daya! Today by phone they have tried to state that we are the same person, now Gwyn posts this bollocks.

Could you if possible give them some evidence we are not the same person.

They should spend more time getting their organisation structured first instead of playing their games. It's quite funny though to watch them!!

Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:25 pm

BigGwynram wrote:Dayo in converstaion with himself yet again. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wrong . How many times have you gwyn spoke to PANTSMANBLUES and LONGLEGS?????????

The only difference being you like to slag others off like Gethin Jenkins under an alias. When i do it , i do it as Daya!

That probably sums up the difference in our characters .

Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:36 pm

Daya/Gwyn,

Gallaf i ddweud a fy llaw ar fy nghalon nad Daya ydw i

Mr Picton

Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:45 pm

Mr_Picton wrote:Daya/Gwyn,

Gallaf i ddweud a fy llaw ar fy nghalon nad Daya ydw i

Mr Picton

whatever than means - cheers!! maybe longlegs/pantsmanblues/biggwynram understands that :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: