Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Match Report Cardiff v Reading 1 February 2011'

Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:49 pm

There is a lot of talk about the atmosphere at CCS and how it can be made better. An exodus move to the Canton Stand seemed to be the way forward from all suggestions but that idea has gone off the boil. Well that is the impression I have got so where do we go from here. Personally I felt I saw the answer as I made my way to my ST seat for the first time in nearly three months. For those of you who don’t know I sit in block 116 near the middle. I witnessed a group of individuals determined to create an atmosphere. You know who you are so keep going guys, you might have a few obstacles to climb over but something tells me you will win the challenge.

In front of 21,000 fans Cardiff fielded a star studded team. In goal was the England under 21 Tom Heaton. In defence was the Scottish international Kevin MacNaughton who was partnered by the ex England under 21 Lee Naylor. Making up the defence line was Mark Hudson and Paul Quinn. In midfield there was the returning Welsh international Arron Ramsey known as Rambo and the Nigerian international Oli. They were partnered by ex England under 21 Peter Whittingham and Jay Emmanuel-Thomas an England under 19 international. Up front was the Welsh captain Craig Bellamy and a present full England international called Jay Bothroyd. That is a lot of international for a Championship team.

For the first ten minutes of the game there was no clear chance on goal. However something was painfully clear to the home support and that was the weakest link in the side. When Cardiff went forward in those first 10 minutes they attacked down both wings and through the middle. Reading attacked down the Naylor side, the left, and it was just too easy for them. Cardiff had to work hard to create a chance going forward in this period, resulting in two long shot efforts from Whittingham. Reading made easy work of Naylor but thankfully for the home side MacNaughton was in form and did well to nullify the threat.
Cardiff went the closest to taking the lead from a Bellamy free kick just outside the penalty area that saw the ball rattle the crossbar leaving the Reading goalkeeper stranded. However it was the away team that took the lead after 21 minutes from a deflected shot. For the humpteenth time Naylor was left standing as a cross from the left caused panic in the Cardiff defence. The clearance was weak and the ball fell to a Reading foot just outside the area. The shot on goal was weak but hit Quinn on the way and wrong footed Heaton as the ball slid into the net.
From the restart Cardiff tried to get back into the game with Bellamy forcing a couple of saves from the Reading keeper. In fairness to Reading they did not sit back and defend but went looking for a second goal. The ex Cardiff player Jodie McAnuff made a nuisance of himself down the right wing while Naylor seemed to be doing a better job on the left for the visitors.
One move saw Bellamy work his way into the Reading penalty area and pick out Whittingham in space. From 15 yards out Whittingham shot was blocked but the ball seemed to be going into the net as it looped over the helpless Reading goalie. Unfortunately the ball in what seemed to be a lifetime floated over the crossbar and hit the top of the net.
Reading forced an excellent save from Heaton just before half time. Reading went to work again down the Naylor side. Easy work if you can get in as the saying goes. From this side the ball found a Reading player just outside the area who had time to place his shot. However he went for power, kept the ball low and what looked like a goal ended up as an excellent diving save from Heaton.
The referee brought the first half to an end with the visitors one up.
Cardiff made a substitution with Chopra coming on for the injured Oli. The difference was instant as Cardiff got on level terms. Cardiff first attack ended with the ball in the Reading goalkeepers hands. However Chopras presence forced the keeper to fluff his kick that went straight to Bothroyd. With only the keeper to beat Jay rounded him and put the ball into an empty net.
Cardiff went looking for the winner and had a good period of pressure where Chopra was a live wire. One effort from the Geordie just outside the area where he created his own space just went wide. He was later to be deprived from a brave block inside the six yard area. From a cross from the right Hudson headed the ball against the crossbar. The ball fell to Chopra but he saw his shot blocked by some desperate defending.
Cardiff brought on Burke for the ineffective JET for the last quarter of the game. Burke was then to go on and miss the best chance of the night. Rambo who was having a reasonable night in midfield decided to go on the attack. Working well with Bellamy he found himself with space just outside the area. He sent a curling shot towards goal that was palmed away by the impressive Reading keeper. The ball fell to Burke all alone on the penalty spot and with the goal wide open. Burke failed to adjust his stance to put the ball into the empty net and ended up sending it over the bar. The home support felt their chance of winning the game went with that.

For the last ten minutes Reading decided to fancy their chances as it looked like it was not going to happen for Cardiff. From defending deep in the second half they started to break out. As each Cardiff attack broke down Reading counter acted and started to become quite a dangerous outfit with one attack down the Naylor side saw a cross find a Reading head that floated over the bar.

As the game went into injury time Reading found themselves back in the lead. Another counter attack down the Naylor side again saw a low cross go behind the defence line and from six yards out a Reading foot poked the ball into the net. Agonising to watch but no home supporter was surprised.

The crowd started to leave in there thousands as the game restarted. The Reading supporters for once could be heard but they were soon to go quiet again. As the game went into its last seconds the Reading defence lost its discipline and Cardiff were awarded a free kick about 20 yards out perfect for a Bellamy special. Tempers raised on the pitch, the referee struggled to cool things down and I received a call from Premier One informing me he was outside the ground. Only watch when your winning lol.
After a few heated moments on the pitch and a couple of bookings Cardiff were allowed to take their free kick. The Reading wall looked solid but what was Quinn doing in front of the goalkeeper? If the kick was taken he would be offside. Fortunately he retreated from the area but it then became obvious why he was there. Bellamy used his head as a marker. From the free kick Bellamy floated the ball just over the Reading wall and with a bit of a curl into the net leaving the keeper no chance. Looking at all the replays it would have hit Quinns head without doubt.
The referee brought the game to an end just after the restart with the score Cardiff 2 Reading 2.

Summing up: Was this a point clawed back or two points dropped? Me, two points dropped. We deserved the 3 points so I felt disappointed as I went to meet up with Premier One. However a draw is better than a lost and with the Jacks game coming up that could be crucial. Remember we are now undefeated in four games against teams challenging us for a promotion place. If we can produce the chances like that against the Jacks, well, this time they might just go in. That makes me feel positive then I think of that Naylor side.

Re: Match report Cardiff v Reading 1 February 2011

Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:51 pm

cheers ian :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: " Match Report Cardiff v Reading 1 February 2011'

Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:55 pm

Cheers Ian, An Excellent Report as Usual :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

We tried Our Hardest to get the Singing Going and WE Dont intend to Give up Or MOVE FROM THE NINIAN STAND :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:01 pm

Thanks very much Ian. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: ................has the idea of moving to the Canton Stand gone off the boil???...(Jesus, I need to run to stand still with you guys. :D )...Cracking Report as usual. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:23 pm

Another great match report Ian - Keep up the good work.
Has the move to the Canton Stand gone off the boil? Why? I thought this was a great ldea and shouldn't be left for dead so early in its infancy.
As for Naylor I'm afraid he's just not cutting it at the level we require and to be perfectly honest I am a bit miffed as to why DJ keeps picking him as apart from the Stoke game I can't honestly remember him having a good game. I understand to an extent why DJ keeps keeps faith in him I suppose as he kept faith with Hudson who was very poor until recently and he has actually come good but to start Naylor against the Jacks and the likes of Dyers pace will surely be a travesty for us. I hate slagging off Cardiff City players and indeed the Manager but surely DJ sees that Naylor isn't good enough for this team.....All I can say is thank god for Mr dependable in Super Kevin Mcnoughton.
Anyway...a;ways a great read off you and today was no different....Cheers
Jes
:ayatollah:

Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:26 pm

Jes wrote:Another great match report Ian - Keep up the good work.
Has the move to the Canton Stand gone off the boil? Why? I thought this was a great ldea and shouldn't be left for dead so early in its infancy.
As for Naylor I'm afraid he's just not cutting it at the level we require and to be perfectly honest I am a bit miffed as to why DJ keeps picking him as apart from the Stoke game I can't honestly remember him having a good game. I understand to an extent why DJ keeps keeps faith in him I suppose as he kept faith with Hudson who was very poor until recently and he has actually come good but to start Naylor against the Jacks and the likes of Dyers pace will surely be a travesty for us. I hate slagging off Cardiff City players and indeed the Manager but surely DJ sees that Naylor isn't good enough for this team.....All I can say is thank god for Mr dependable in Super Kevin Mcnoughton.
Anyway...a;ways a great read off you and today was no different....Cheers
Jes
:ayatollah:

ooops did I say Ian? ...sorry I meant Bakedalasker
Cheers

Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:44 am

Thanks Ian. A great report as always :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:28 pm

Thanks Ian, a shame I could not make it due to work. The second half was quite dramatic on the radio.

Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:59 pm

Cheers Ian, Look forward to the Jack Match Report :ayatollah: :ayatollah: