Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

will Bothroyd be the next Toshack

Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:04 pm

For those of us old enough, back in the seventies we were in a greta position to go up to the old First Division. No play offs, just the top two teams.

Under pressure from our Bankers we had to sell Toshack. Tosh and Brian Clark were immense that season. The repercussions on the team were huge and, lo and behold, we ended up third with Sheff Utd going up instead of us.

With Andy Carroll looking like he's off to Liverpool, does this lead to Bothroyd going to Newcastle?

I for one hope the Board don't take the money and resist cos we need him. They have got to turn down any offers at all costs. What is £2 million now could lose us £90 million

Going to be a long and nervous wait until 11 tonight

Re: will Bothroyd be the next Toshack

Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:08 pm

Bopman I can remember Tosh was sold to Liverpool for £110k we bought Alan Warboys who scored 4 goals in one game but that was it. Only automatic promotion to Div1 in those days for the first 2 teams. I know supporters who haven't been to a game since!!!!!!!

Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:13 pm

if carroll goes for £35m if newcastle come in for jay, knowing how much they have we should demand £10m then id be very happy :)

Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:20 pm

We did indeed. But whilst he (Warboys) was one of my favourite players he didn't have the same impact as Tosh.

What it did show was the Board at the time didn't have the ambition and I hope the 'new crop' do. They were far happier being in the top 5 of the old Division two rather than a struggling old First Division side

Times have changed. In those days players used to use public transport to get to games. I remember Warboys used to be on the same train going to the game as me and my mates. I seem to recall the Millwall side in the seventies travelling on a normal service train and getting off at Central Station. Can't see that happening again

:old: Gawd, I'm getting old

Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:22 pm

We could lose 90m if he goes.
We could lose 90m even with him.

We're massively in debt.

Market forces and all that...

Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:28 pm

bethanmattsgrampy wrote:Bopman I can remember Tosh was sold to Liverpool for £110k we bought Alan Warboys who scored 4 goals in one game but that was it. Only automatic promotion to Div1 in those days for the first 2 teams. I know supporters who haven't been to a game since!!!!!!!

Sorry YOU are wrong ! Warboys put load of goals away check it ,

Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:43 pm

nerd wrote:We could lose 90m if he goes.
We could lose 90m even with him.

We're massively in debt.

Market forces and all that...

Totally understand what you are saying, and I do agree with you.

But what does it say about the ambition of the Club?

How will it impact on our support if we are seen to sell the one player who could make that difference?

Our income stream is minimal and we literally only have ticket monies coming in as nearly every other source has been farmed out. Certainly in the Seventies we lost a huge amount of fans because of this and went into decline for the next 25 years

Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:51 pm

If they sell Jay it means that there really bad at Biz, ok they can say we will get nothing for hi in summer But lets remember we only paid around 300k for him, he has already paid that back with his goals .So to sell him for 2/3/4 even 5mil means that the club would be willing to take a chance of loosing 90+mils and the prem , and smash the dreams of the fans .

Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:25 pm

Na Dont think bothroyd would be as bad at managering wales than toshack did ;) :roll: :? :lol: