Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The late great Robin Friday

Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:27 pm

As a young local canton lad i had the pleasure of meeting the great man through watching training sessions.The more times i turned up the more he would talk to me i was star struck just by his sheer presence.One morning over the wreck opposite ninian park he was doing keep me ups with David Giles when all of a sudden his head went and he just volleyed the ball what seemed like miles onto sloper road.This old datsun was slowing down at the lights the ball lashed the wing causing a massive dent.This old guy got out and started shaking his fist. RF was in a state of shock and ran over to the fella and told him to take it up with the club i was rolling round :lol: and the players were too.I could never forget that and its a tale im never bored of talking about. ROBIN FRIDAY LEGEND RIP :ayatollah:

Re: The late great Robin Friday

Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:05 pm

I met him whilst he was Training on Ninian also. quality

Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:14 pm

Read the book, the greatest player you never saw or something like that, excellent read,

funny and sad really, this guy who I'm gutted I never got to see must have been some player

Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:26 pm

The guy was a bit of an enigma while at City, only played 21 league games for us & scoring 6 goals. Suffice to say his off field & private activities far superseded & over shaddowed his naturally gifted ability as a football player. What a waste.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:28 pm

BEEP AHM wrote:Read the book, the greatest player you never saw or something like that, excellent read,

funny and sad really, this guy who I'm gutted I never got to see must have been some player

Written by Paolo Hewitt, who wrote an excellent book on Paul Weller.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:54 pm

I remember Ritchie Morgan as a guest in our club many years ago.He was none too complimentary about RF and one of the things he told me I couldn't repeat on here.Unbelievable talent though.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:26 pm

Old Canton Casual wrote:As a young local canton lad i had the pleasure of meeting the great man through watching training sessions.The more times i turned up the more he would talk to me i was star struck just by his sheer presence.One morning over the wreck opposite ninian park he was doing keep me ups with David Giles when all of a sudden his head went and he just volleyed the ball what seemed like miles onto sloper road.This old datsun was slowing down at the lights the ball lashed the wing causing a massive dent.This old guy got out and started shaking his fist. RF was in a state of shock and ran over to the fella and told him to take it up with the club i was rolling round :lol: and the players were too.I could never forget that and its a tale im never bored of talking about. ROBIN FRIDAY LEGEND RIP :ayatollah:

There used to be a wreck opposite Ninian Park?

Its a bit far inland for a shipwreck , so what type was it? :roll: :lol:

Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:45 pm

I met him a couple of times.As me and a couple of mates was on the way back to grangetown we met him on ninian park rd.At the time he had a bottle of milk and when it was all gone he just tossed the bottle, and it smashed in the road friday loved it.Also told us he was nicking on the train home.Mad bloke also a top bloke r.i.p. R.F.