Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Adam Matthews / Gareth Bale

Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:02 pm

Could Adam matthews be like Gareth bale ?
Harry gave bale a few chances at lb but it didn't work out left him a few games then put him lm ! Now IMO bale is one of
The best lm in the world !

I'm not saying Adam Matthews would be the best rm
In the world , but i think if dave jones put a bit of trust in him we could have a good back up option for a rm !

Selling him will be a big mistakes the guy got tsllent just needs a bit of confidence and trust from a manager !!

Re: Adam Matthews / Gareth Bale

Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:06 pm

Matthews is good going forward, not so sound defensively. I'd tend to agree with you.

With regards to Bale, Redknapp has said he sees him as a left back; right now, left midfield fills an area of need for Spurs, Assou-Ekouto playing well at left back, better defensively. Bales long term future, if he stays at Spurs, will be as left back.

Which makes sense, and should be the approach used with Matthews - use his attacking ability at present further forward, drop him back to right back over time having gained the experiene and worked on his defensive side.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:09 pm

Argeee with you their , use their pace now , when they get older and more expreirnced then put him to rb!

Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:09 pm

with the right coaching and confidence, matthews has the potential to be great
when, last season, he had a long run in the team playing regularly, he was linked with arsenal and UTD with a 6 figure sum over his head
since the ipswich misake, he hasnt really had a sniff
if he could get defensively wiser, he would be a brilliant wing back
i dont think his delivery is quite there to be an out and out right midefielder, but hey, practice makes perfect :ayatollah:

i hope he doesnt go

Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:46 pm

Bale's game is based purely on pace atm with a deadly ball. Matthews on the other hand doesn't have even close the pace or the delivery. Matthews seems to glide past players like Burke whilst looking a bit clumsy and a tad slow. Not knocking him, it works and has done for Burke these last few seasons. Just don't know how they do it.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:53 pm

RIVERSIDE-FC wrote:Could Adam matthews be like Gareth bale ?
Harry gave bale a few chances at lb but it didn't work out left him a few games then put him lm ! Now IMO bale is one of

In the world , but i think if dave jones put a bit of trust in him we could have a good back up option for a rm !

Selling him will be a big mistakes the guy got tsllent just needs a bit of confidence and trust from a manager !!

Good post/observation.

One I have thought of a few times over last 12 months

HUGE MISTAKE, should have been targetting Burkes right wing position this season

Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:54 pm

RIVERSIDE-FC wrote:Could Adam matthews be like Gareth bale ?

Good post/observation.

One I have thought of a few times over last 12 months

HUGE MISTAKE, should have been targetting Burkes right wing position this season

Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:40 pm

If mathews staying , then DJ should have faith in him on the rm :)