Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Our Support "

Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:18 pm

I don't know wether it's us as Cardiff City supporters, or if it's football fans in general, but we're a fickle bunch. It seems we're at each others throats all the time.

This week has seen the Malayasians being vilified for their lack of support of DJ in the transfer market. Two signings (including the admittedly exciting return of a certain midfield wonderkid) and the messiah status of VT,TG and co has been restored.

As I was telling Annis yesterday about the whole Bellamy situation. Basically, I told Annis that our skipper has been called from his hole to his pole by certain sections of our support, but I'm guessing these are the same people who so revered Robin Friday for his skill and, as is more likely, his aberrant behaviour.

Carl has been unfairly criticised for his updates. But the same people who castigate Carl are the ones waiting on tenterhooks for his updates, then telling all and sundry about the news Carl has posted, as if they are the ones in the know. Be it jealousy or try and impose a bit of their own self importance onto others, I don't know but the way I see it it's simple - if you don't want to know the news, don't read it. Certainly don't decry Carl for keeping those who want to know in the loop.

This week, I don't know if we like Dave Jones or not?? I kn ow the standpoint of a few, and they are sticking by their guns, but it seems people hate Jones one week, then pariah him the next.

Yesterday, even at three - nil up, as the Watford fans vociferously pointed out, we still don't sing. Why are we not getting behind the team from kick off to final whistle. I know the club sent their mini-Hitlers out yesterday to stop standing, but surely they should be doing something about lack of atmosphere. For all those who say Ninian Park is in the past and it was time to move to a new sporting catherdral, I say to you by sitting on your arses and keeping quiet you're providing all the CCS ney'sayers all the ammo they need. Ali says it often enough - SUPPORT THE BOYS, MAKE SOME NOISE. Not only is that falling on deaf ears, it' falling on mutes as well. Sure I miss Ninian Park, I have a lot of great memories from the place, and have made lifelong friendships in the stands, but I think CCS is a cracking modern stadium, it's like a vacuum for any sort of atmosphere. A bit like the Emirates. I for one do not want to be seen in the same mould as the Arsenal fans. Do you??

I'm not saying I'm a better supporter than anyone else, I'm different. We're all different. We all have a difference of opinions on varying topics, from football, to politics, to Elton Johns baby, but despite our many differences, as Cardiff City fans we all have a common objective, and that is seeing our team in the Premiership. We have a part to play in getting behind the team. So, to quote Ali Yassine for the second time.....

SUUPORT THE BOYS, MAKE SOME NOISE!!

Re: Our support

Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:20 pm

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:23 pm

Sit down and behave yourself. :lol:

Great post and agree totally. :ayatollah:

Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:29 pm

I agree, im in the canton and when we are signing i look at people around me and there not singing anything. And then they are moaning when we arent playing well and how is that going to help? Also people next time to me proably watch half the match because there always down stairs having a drink. also i dont like it when loads of people are leaving like 5mins before 90 mins so hows this going to help?! We have got to many of these fans at the stadium

Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:30 pm

Cracking post :ayatollah: :ayatollah: ....I prefer going to away games myself as the Atmosphere is much better. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:32 pm

Some prick in the ninian told me to sit down when we had a corner by the canton, i said why dont you stand up so he grabbed my top, what a prick.

Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:40 pm

Well ke half an half where people stand in canton but ive had people to tell me to sit down! im like i just want to support the boys! Also just before fourth goal when jet was on edge pen box the man behind me could not criticising him! because he would not shoot! he doing the perfect job keeping the ball up there and what happened 2mins later we scored from his cross. iittle bit fed up of people moaningand not signing

Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:11 pm

gregg your alive :D

Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:16 pm

Yes mate, just about.

Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:19 pm

No al calcio moderno. This is modern football, sit down, shut up and buy a shirt. It's not going to change

Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:28 pm

Sergeant Dribble wrote:No al calcio moderno. This is modern football, sit down, shut up and buy a shirt. It's not going to change

This much is true. As much as I love Cardiff City, I don't think I can take much more of it. Its like communist Russia, where we are only allowed to think what the club allow us to think, do as the club allows us to do. I can't buy into it. t's great to look forward to where the clubs going but unfortunately I think we've lost sight of where the club has come from. People like myself are being hounded out, not just by the club but by the 'new breed' of football fan the club has created.

Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:39 pm

Mr Davies wrote:
Sergeant Dribble wrote:No al calcio moderno. This is modern football, sit down, shut up and buy a shirt. It's not going to change

This much is true. As much as I love Cardiff City, I don't think I can take much more of it. Its like communist Russia, where we are only allowed to think what the club allow us to think, do as the club allows us to do. I can't buy into it. t's great to look forward to where the clubs going but unfortunately I think we've lost sight of where the club has come from. People like myself are being hounded out, not just by the club but by the 'new breed' of football fan the club has created.

It's what it is and isn't going to change any time soon. Stewards down there are friendly I find on the whole, one bad apple by the sounds of it.

Re: " Our Support "

Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:51 pm

Mr Davies wrote:I don't know wether it's us as Cardiff City supporters, or if it's football fans in general, but we're a fickle bunch. It seems we're at each others throats all the time.

This week has seen the Malayasians being vilified for their lack of support of DJ in the transfer market. Two signings (including the admittedly exciting return of a certain midfield wonderkid) and the messiah status of VT,TG and co has been restored.

As I was telling Annis yesterday about the whole Bellamy situation. Basically, I told Annis that our skipper has been called from his hole to his pole by certain sections of our support, but I'm guessing these are the same people who so revered Robin Friday for his skill and, as is more likely, his aberrant behaviour.

Carl has been unfairly criticised for his updates. But the same people who castigate Carl are the ones waiting on tenterhooks for his updates, then telling all and sundry about the news Carl has posted, as if they are the ones in the know. Be it jealousy or try and impose a bit of their own self importance onto others, I don't know but the way I see it it's simple - if you don't want to know the news, don't read it. Certainly don't decry Carl for keeping those who want to know in the loop.

This week, I don't know if we like Dave Jones or not?? I kn ow the standpoint of a few, and they are sticking by their guns, but it seems people hate Jones one week, then pariah him the next.

Yesterday, even at three - nil up, as the Watford fans vociferously pointed out, we still don't sing. Why are we not getting behind the team from kick off to final whistle. I know the club sent their mini-Hitlers out yesterday to stop standing, but surely they should be doing something about lack of atmosphere. For all those who say Ninian Park is in the past and it was time to move to a new sporting catherdral, I say to you by sitting on your arses and keeping quiet you're providing all the CCS ney'sayers all the ammo they need. Ali says it often enough - SUPPORT THE BOYS, MAKE SOME NOISE. Not only is that falling on deaf ears, it' falling on mutes as well. Sure I miss Ninian Park, I have a lot of great memories from the place, and have made lifelong friendships in the stands, but I think CCS is a cracking modern stadium, it's like a vacuum for any sort of atmosphere. A bit like the Emirates. I for one do not want to be seen in the same mould as the Arsenal fans. Do you??

I'm not saying I'm a better supporter than anyone else, I'm different. We're all different. We all have a difference of opinions on varying topics, from football, to politics, to Elton Johns baby, but despite our many differences, as Cardiff City fans we all have a common objective, and that is seeing our team in the Premiership. We have a part to play in getting behind the team. So, to quote Ali Yassine for the second time.....

We sold 23,00 tickets for a game against Watford, that to me is excellent support from where we have come from, the genre of the football supporter is changing, mainly IMO due to the cost of tickets, we now have a modern stadium with modern facilities and by the law of the land have to remain seated, whilst I would welcome safe standing for those who want it, the club is obligated to operate where possible within the law.

Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:04 pm

good post greg :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:30 pm

f*cking hell man - change your avatar, I was physically sick when I saw that bitch!

Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:40 pm

Succinct post. Agreed, but you're giving most Cardiff fans too much credit because the large majority have no clue. Only two weeks ago how many were calling for Dave Jones'head?

Why don't they mention it after a three game unbeaten run in the league? It's embarrassing. The man has done a great job with the resources he's had. As you say, fickle, but every club has it

Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:53 pm

Neath Bluebird wrote:

f*cking hell man - change your avatar, I was physically sick when I saw that bitch!

You take that back!!

Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:27 pm

CityGent wrote:Succinct post. Agreed, but you're giving most Cardiff fans too much credit because the large majority have no clue. Only two weeks ago how many were calling for Dave Jones'head?

Why don't they mention it after a three game unbeaten run in the league? It's embarrassing. The man has done a great job with the resources he's had. As you say, fickle, but every club has it

Tony you are correct, I think many fans forget the bad times.

Losing an FA Cup final is not embarrassing.

Losing a Play Off Final is not embarrassing.

Being in both were great occassions.

With DJ we have progressed each and every year and this year will be the ultimate :ayatollah:

Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:40 pm

carlccfc wrote:
CityGent wrote:Succinct post. Agreed, but you're giving most Cardiff fans too much credit because the large majority have no clue. Only two weeks ago how many were calling for Dave Jones'head?

With DJ we have progressed each and every year and this year will be the ultimate :ayatollah:

Lets Hope Carl, DJ Finally Wins Something This Season, Promotion :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:43 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
carlccfc wrote:

Lets Hope Carl, DJ Finally Wins Something This Season, Promotion :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Yes Annis I agree but at least he has won the Algarve Cup :D :ayatollah:

Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:46 pm

Carlccfc
Yes Annis I agree but at least he has won the Algarve Cup

I was there Carl, They put a table out at the end , All the fans waited and NO BLOODY CUP EVER APPEARED. :lol: :lol: :ayatollah:

Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:47 pm

I was there too. 6 bottles of superbock till i realised it was non alcoholic :lol:

Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:50 pm

piroteczz wrote:I was there too. 6 bottles of superbock till i realised it was non alcoholic :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:54 pm

Exactly Carl. The truth of the matter is, if his hands weren't so tied in his early tenure, we'd be there now. Imagine having Johnson and Loovens in that side last season. The nay-sayers would be singing from a different hymn sheet then. The amount of conversations I've had with Annis the last on the subject over the years, where we've feared the worst for the club. It's amazing that the board are backing Jones to the hilt this time, and getting Ramsey back might be the icing on the cake. It seems like our Asian friends haven't got the word failure in the Malaysian language

Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:59 pm

Excellent post ! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: It`s very hard to be all things to all people ! :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:45 am

Mr Davies wrote:I don't know wether it's us as Cardiff City supporters, or if it's football fans in general, but we're a fickle bunch. It seems we're at each others throats all the time.

THAT,my friend,is a cracking post.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:09 am

TBH the revelation that part of our support is fickle is not exactly earth shattering. I'm fickle at times and I'm sure if you were totally honest you could think of times when you have been also.

We will never improve the match day atmosphere by blaming 'mythical' supporters who moan about this and that. What we need is a solution that’s why I think we need an anthem as someone suggested the other day.

A 'You will never walk alone' 'blowing bubbles' etc would give everyone a focal point and a nudge to get behind the team. Indeed we have a potential brilliant one in Men of Harlech but we never make full use of it by singing the words. That’s probably due to either not enough people knowing the words, or more likely we haven't worked out a way of starting the song off so that it catches on quickly.

Carl is actively speaking with the club about the match day atmosphere which is a great start and would hope that one of the ideas he is thinking of is ways to introduce the words of Men of Harlech on match days.

The above is not meant as a snipe, but I have always thought blaming people we don't know and using the word 'fickle' to describe them is destructive criticism, what is much better is constructive criticism along with suggestions and solutions to the problem, otherwise nothing will ever improve.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:38 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:

TBH the revelation that part of our support is fickle is not exactly earth shattering. I'm fickle at times and I'm sure if you were totally honest you could think of times when you have been also.

We will never improve the match day atmosphere by blaming 'mythical' supporters who moan about this and that. What we need is a solution that’s why I think we need an anthem as someone suggested the other day.

A 'You will never walk alone' 'blowing bubbles' etc would give everyone a focal point and a nudge to get behind the team. Indeed we have a potential brilliant one in Men of Harlech but we never make full use of it by singing the words. That’s probably due to either not enough people knowing the words, or more likely we haven't worked out a way of starting the song off so that it catches on quickly.

Carl is actively speaking with the club about the match day atmosphere which is a great start and would hope that one of the ideas he is thinking of is ways to introduce the words of Men of Harlech on match days.

The above is not meant as a snipe, but I have always thought blaming people we don't know and using the word 'fickle' to describe them is destructive criticism, what is much better is constructive criticism along with suggestions and solutions to the problem, otherwise nothing will ever improve.

Whilst I agree that its always the easy option - playing the blame game, I wouldnt call the people Ive bemoaned 'mythical'. The amount of cross eyed looks you get when trying to start a song or generally show some passion is bewildering. (I know Annis will corroberate this as he sits behind me and he is equally bemused). These are real people!! Real people that we need to reach out to and get them involved in creating an atmosphere.

I like your idea about an anthem. You're spot on that 'Men of Harlech' being the obvious choice. Those at QPR will atest to the fantastic 10 minute spell in the second half where Loftus Road was showered in a chorus of it, drowning out any attempt the home fans made of getting a chant going. It would be a brilliant song to have at CCS, even in the form its used today, which, as I've been told, incidentally by my QPR fan friend, sounds "f*cking mental".

Personally, I'd love "Cant take my eyes off you" ringing round the stands again. Most people know the lyrics, and for those who don't - theyre easy to pick up. Maybe Ali could play it with his medley of songs before the team come out to jog a few peoples memories of just how good that sounded ringing out from Ninian Park.

I personally don't have all the answers. My OP was born out of frustration, but I'm willing to work with anyone on here and even the club to find them, then as a collective, maybe we can get it right.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:19 am

Mr Davies wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:TBH the revelation that part of our support is fickle is not exactly earth shattering. I'm fickle at times and I'm sure if you were totally honest you could think of times when you have been also.

Whilst I agree that its always the easy option - playing the blame game, I wouldnt call the people Ive bemoaned 'mythical'. The amount of cross eyed looks you get when trying to start a song or generally show some passion is bewildering. (I know Annis will corroberate this as he sits behind me and he is equally bemused). These are real people!! Real people that we need to reach out to and get them involved in creating an atmosphere.

I like your idea about an anthem. You're spot on that 'Men of Harlech' being the obvious choice. Those at QPR will atest to the fantastic 10 minute spell in the second half where Loftus Road was showered in a chorus of it, drowning out any attempt the home fans made of getting a chant going. It would be a brilliant song to have at CCS, even in the form its used today, which, as I've been told, incidentally by my QPR fan friend, sounds "f*cking mental".

Personally, I'd love "Cant take my eyes off you" ringing round the stands again. Most people know the lyrics, and for those who don't - theyre easy to pick up. Maybe Ali could play it with his medley of songs before the team come out to jog a few peoples memories of just how good that sounded ringing out from Ninian Park.

I personally don't have all the answers. My OP was born out of frustration, but I'm willing to work with anyone on here and even the club to find them, then as a collective, maybe we can get it right.

Well if nothing else this is good debate ;) What I meant by mythical (& I fully understand how you took might have taken my words out of context) was by refering to these people on a message board, we have no idea who they are or what actually they meant by their actions because they have no right of reply.

By all means we could have a number of anthems and 'Can't take my eyes off you' was one of my favourites from that never to be forgotten Welsh World Cup qualifying campagin in the early 1990's.

However, may be we should take things one step at a time, but you are totally correct in that it needs a number of people to come together to make it happen.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:57 am

I think as the club is moving in a new direction what with the new ground and that, maybe something completely new is in order. How about getting James Foxx or the Stand onto the case. Maybe a hugely anticipated single release as the "new cardiff city anthem" could also generate some funds for the academy as well. Just a thought. :ayatollah: