Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Match Report Cardiff City v Watford 22/01/11 "

Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:37 pm

The last thing I expected before today’s game was to be standing outside the Ninian pub with a collection bucket. My shift for the cause of our future football players was shared with the famous Lord Carl who informed me that the bucket I was holding nearly ended up being worn by some passerby. I got the impression that we are going to have to be very selective when it comes to our fund raising activities.

Cardiff fielded a fairly strong side that saw the return of Jay Bothroyd after being out of the game for 7 weeks and one of the new signing in JE Thomas aka JET. So the line up comprised of Heaton in goal with Naylor at left back, McNaughton partnering Hudson in central defence and Quinn keeping his place on the right side of the defence line. In midfield Oli partnered the new guy JET in the central positions while Bellamy covered the left wing with Whittingham on the right. Upfront saw the returning Bothroyd with Chopra.

Cardiff started the game the stronger team with Bellamy causing problems for the away team down the left wing. Sadly for the Bluebirds this early pressure counted for nothing as there was no serious impression made on the Watford goal. In fact the first real effort on goal came from the visitors after 10 minutes. A back pass by Naylor fell well short of Heaton leaving a Watford striker with only the Cardiff goalkeeper to beat. Fortunately for the home side Heaton was quick of his line and caused the visiting striker to force his shot well wide of the goal. Soon after this Cardiff then went onto a 16 minutes spell that was pretty good for them.

On the 14 minutes and from midfield a Whittingham 40 yard pass across the midfield split the Watford defence and found Bellamy on the left wing. The Cardiff captain cut inside the Watford area and sent a low shot to the right side of the goal. The shot was blocked but the rebound came straight back to Bellamy who then shot again but this time to the left. With the Watford goalkeeper Loach committed to the first shot by going to the right he could not adjust for the second effort and was helpless as he watched the ball hit the net.

Loach was also helpless 3 minutes later when he faced Chopra all alone inside the 6 yard box. Bothroyd picked the ball up outside the area and pin pointed Chopra with a pass that split the Watford defence open. As Loach came off his line to confront Chopra the Cardiff forward easily slotted the ball pass the keeper for the second goal.

Watford found themselves 3 down on the half hour mark when Bothroyd from 20 yards and having his back to the goal managed to turn and place his shot to the left side of the diving Loach. The ball ended up hitting the inside of the post as it made its way into the visitor’s goal. It was an awesome 16 minutes for the home side that looked like it had won the game but within a couple of minutes Watford were back in it.
After the restart Watford won a throw in half way inside the Cardiff half. From this throw in a Watford head got to the ball first and found an unmarked striker who had all the time in the world to place the ball in the net. Perhaps the softest goal Cardiff will concede all season at home but it was the start of what turned out to be a nervy game for the home supporters.

Watford pressed for another goal but the Cardiff defence held out and as the game approached half time they started to take control of the game. A flurry just before half time saw some desperate defending by the visitors. Cardiff failed to restore their 3 goal lead and the referee brought the half to an end with the score Cardiff 3 Watford 1.
Just after the restart Watford found them right back in the game. Their first attack saw one of their wingers from the right edge of the Cardiff area sent a cross come shot towards Heaton. What should have been a comfortable save ended up with the Cardiff goalkeeper slipping and seeing the ball hit the inside of the side net. So what looked like an easy stroll for the Cardiff was turning out to be another struggle.

For the next 20 minutes Watford dominated the game. They were winning everything in midfield but made little headway at the Cardiff goal thanks to some excellent defending by the Cardiff defence. Special mentions must be given here to Hudson and Gyepes, the latter replacing Naylor in the first half. However a slight lapse of concentration allowed a Watford forward to send a fierce shot across the goalmouth only for it to hit the post and stay out of the goal. Another attack however saw the ball in the Cardiff net only for the lines man to put his flag up for offside.

Overall though Cardiff defended this period of pressure quite well and as the game went into its last quarter they started to get right back into the game. Bellamy once again became a nuisance for the Watford defence down the left wing. However Watford did not sit back but went looking for an equaliser. Now it was an open game with either team looking like they could score. Fortunately for the home side it was them that got that important goal.

Another attack down the Bellamy wing saw a low cross that caused panic amongst the Watford defence. Failing to clear their lines the unlikely figure of Gyepes in the Watford 6 yard area poked the ball home in the 82 minute. The relief amongst the home fans could be easily felt as they saw their team regain a cushion 2 goal lead, so much so that this author could not resist holding his hand up displaying 4 fingers and shouting at the Watford keeper Loach 4,4,4,4. I was joined by Premier One for this and had to explain to him afterwards what it was all about. Those of us who were at the Watford away game will understand lol. In all fairness to Loach after the game he gave the thumps up to the Cardiff fans as he made his way over to the Watford fans. It is good to see a player who can take as well as give it. The game ended with the score Cardiff 4 Watford 2.

Summing up: After the 2nd Watford goal I immediately thought of the Scunthorpe game where we nearly gave a 3 goal lead away but managed to win 4-2. Why oh why were we not closing the game down like we should have done at Scunny I thought. Difference was this time we were up against an inform team in Watford unlike at Glanford where we played a struggling outfit. Then I remembered we had just beaten a team that was in the top 6 last time we played a league game here at CCS and also we were 1 minutes away from defeating another top 6 team but this time on their own patch. That makes it 7 points from 9 against rival promotion contenders. Comforting when you look at it like that, wish it was the same watching it on the pitch.

Re: " Match Report Cardiff City v Watford 22/01/11 "

Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:45 pm

Thanks Ian once again for a Thrilling Match Report :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Also Your help with The Young Guns Fund Collection Today was Very Much Appreciated :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: Sticky : " Match Report Cardiff City v Watford 22/01/11 "

Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:45 am

gr8 report. v. accurate

Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:06 am

Cheers Ian, I couldn't make it today due to family commitments so listened to the game on the radio and lost my voice shouting in frustration my kids must think I'm mad for talking to myself lol great report mate :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:50 am

Ian

Excellent accurate fair and unbiased report as usual. We were like the proverbial curates egg. Good in parts. However 7 from 9 is not to be sniffed at.

Over the 2 games, Watford were best team I've seen this year. And wot a player that Will Buckley is. Up there with Jay and Taarabt as the best players in the Championship.

Will make my journey back to London today all the more pleasurable.

C'mon Coventry City. Your my new second favourite team. For today anyway
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:11 am

A good read Ian, I really enjoyed yesterdays game, the fact that Watford came back into it made it better I thought.

See you at Chasetown on Saturday :ayatollah:

Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:14 pm

Cracking Report Ian, was listening on the radio, glad you had Loach back after Watford away :lol:
Cheers :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:49 pm

Great game, pure entertainment. Credit to Watford for not just cramming the midfield and stifling the game, they went for it and why not, they are a form side. Premier league standard attacking and finishing by Cardiff with some typical wobbly League 2 defending thrown in. Hudson, Gyepes, Naylor...not for me sorry.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:54 am

yeh nice report ian, as always.
see you saturday in chasetown mate :ayatollah:

Re: " Match Report Cardiff City v Watford 22/01/11 "

Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:46 pm

Thanks Ian - This was another good match report!

:ayatollah: