Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

First Casual clothing

Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:18 pm

What was your first puchase of footy terrace wear...??

I got addicted the night we played Arsenal away in the old Milk Cup sep 1982...City contingent of around a 1000 were in the middle section of the old clock end..very noticible to our right in the arsenal section were a bunch of terrace dandies donned in golf and terrace wear..That weekend it was off to cardiff to purchase some gear..by the return leg my attire that evening waiting for Arsenal's firm outside central station consisted of Nike Wimbledon's,rips (ely trendie knows)diamond v neck pringle & a navy Adidas Kagool ..since that night nearly 30 years ago the bespoke terrace bug has never left me .. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: First Casual clothing

Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:26 pm

Alright Mick.

My first pieces were probably picked from (sadly my old mans golfing gear), nice pair of farah slacks coupled with a pringle diamond jumper and lyle & scott t. first purchase would be an absolute beauty of an ellese tracksuit and lutha ski jacket.

Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:30 pm

harrington jacket ,white skinners and doc martin boots complete with the scarf tied round the wrist,those were the days :lol: :lol: :old:

Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:33 pm

[quote="frank skinner"]harrington jacket ,white skinners and doc martin boots complete with the scarf tied round the wrist,those were the days :lol: :lol:
Harrington jackets ,now your talking mate :ayatollah:

Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:34 pm

I know some lads who caned open the door of a leather shop in town. It is now a freaky shoe shop next to burger king by st johns church.

The leathers had draw strings at the waist and complimented farahs and lois jeans and lacoste tshirts.

The casual scene for them was all about robbing the clothes especially at away games.

I have to agree with them because forking out 30 quid in the 80s for a lacoste and tyhen going rucking in it, doesn't really make any sense........does it? :o

Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:43 pm

lordninian wrote:What was your first puchase of footy terrace wear...??

I got addicted the night we played Arsenal away in the old Milk Cup sep 1982...City contingent of around a 1000 were in the middle section of the old clock end..very noticible to our right in the arsenal section were a bunch of terrace dandies donned in golf and terrace wear..That weekend it was off to cardiff to purchase some gear..by the return leg my attire that evening waiting for Arsenal's firm outside central station consisted of Nike Wimbledon's,rips (ely trendie knows)diamond v neck pringle & a navy Adidas Kagool ..since that night nearly 30 years ago the bespoke terrace bug has never left me .. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

i have a museum full of quality casual wear - when cardiff,s film is made i will make a fortune in hire !

still love sport classics and then - prada and armani a bit of SI but limited even thou a full wardrobe of it !

i would be loaded if not spent so much on looking the part smart and not a plastic warrior

Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:03 pm

mallo wrote:
lordninian wrote:What was your first puchase of footy terrace wear...??

i have a museum full of quality casual wear - when cardiff,s film is made i will make a fortune in hire !

still love sport classics and then - prada and armani a bit of SI but limited even thou a full wardrobe of it !

i would be loaded if not spent so much on looking the part smart and not a plastic warrior[/quot

Just the 6 trips abroad this year then Mall :D

Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:07 pm

i was at that game lord ninian

arsenal next to us were decked out in all sports gear whilst our lot were wearing dexy midnight runners jeans/attire :lol:

Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:41 am

Kappa Sweater when I was 17!!!

f**k me KAPPA! :lol: :lol:

Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:46 am

Slazenger jumper and a Pringle Diamond Jumper were the first Casual clothes I ever bought,it was about 1980 and thats when I first started going on the train with the older Lads, about 40-60 of us use to go away on the train then, but there were many away games when about only 10 of us went :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:08 am

First - Penfield jacket same as that worn by noel gallagher when oasis played maine road in the mid nineties. In blue however.

Most recent - v neck maroon slazenger jumper

Since the first acquisition all my clothing purchases are of the casual ilk. Kegs and socks aside mind you.

Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:46 am

ice blue levi sta-press, brutus oxford style shirt, navy crombie overcoat and a pair of brogues, 1970 those were the days, that was the smartest look football fans ever had in my opinion.

Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:50 am

I remember dragging the old man in to cardiff

"course you can have a pringle jumper son"

Got in to Howells

"How f*cking much"

Another classic line was " whats the difference between these they look the same " lacoste.....leshark :lol:

Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:02 am

Forever Blue wrote:Slazenger jumper and a Pringle Diamond Jumper were the first Casual clothes I ever bought,it was about 1980 and thats when I first started going on the train with the older Lads, about 40-60 of us use to go away on the train then, but there were many away games when about only 10 of us went :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Slazenger jumper was my first with a Blue and White Kappa waterproof....thought I was the dogs! That was about 81 I'd say!

Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:08 am

Started dressing around 95/96 when I was 16/17 mostly Ralph Lauren or Lacosste polos & shirts etc (still have a few of them in my rotation now :D )

But I remember when I really got serious and bought my 1st Stone Island jumper from the Woodies August sale for £80 Thursday before the 1st game of the season (Exeter away I think) I remember trembling handing over the cash, but went on to buy another 2 pieces at full price before the end of that November as my "flexable friend" took the 1st hits on what was to be an allmighty battering for the following years :lol:

Anyone else remember queuing early doors for those Woodies sales? - great days 8-)

Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:13 am

I wont go into it but I also stumbled upon a load of golfing gear (mainly jumpers, polo shirts and a few waterproofs) around the mid 80's. It was mainly Pringle and Lyle & Scott and I thought I was the bees knees. Until one person tried to sell some of it back to someone who worked at Tredegar Park Golf Club!! Bloody numptee....funnily enough we had to hand it all back after that :lol:

Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:58 am

patrick windy 4 my sins lol , olympus sports then movin on to jothams to buy red lacoste polo before gettin train with 7 loons to watch newport chelsea in friendly? friendly be fucked ha ha ,
started dropping through the roof of a certain golf shop soon after an acquiring a few things althou i did leave money by till!
had knock on door sunday after asking where i had been night b4 etc , luckily i had moved the gear on (lyle n scot jumpers) my mum was sayin no he wudn do that etc , you got to love your mums yeah they think your saints lol,
fab days them,
OH THE RIPS , got few now eh mickey

Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:07 pm

pringle jumper fades G villas trainers lacoste polo in 82. Then upgraded with smash n grabs with Austin Reeds Olyinpus Jothams an golf shops all the rage ow what fun we had great days loved every minute of it all. :D

Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:41 pm

Old Canton Casual wrote:pringle jumper fades G villas trainers lacoste polo in 82. Then upgraded with smash n grabs with Austin Reeds Olyinpus Jothams an golf shops all the rage ow what fun we had great days loved every minute of it all. :D

haha Fantastic......Lord Old Canton Casual... :ayatollah:

Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:45 pm

Dange wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Slazenger jumper and a Pringle Diamond Jumper were the first Casual clothes I ever bought,it was about 1980 and thats when I first started going on the train with the older Lads, about 40-60 of us use to go away on the train then, but there were many away games when about only 10 of us went :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Slazenger jumper was my first with a Blue and White Kappa waterproof....thought I was the dogs! That was about 81 I'd say!

We were the dogs bolloks :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:53 pm

i remember boxing day in 83 v the jacks. The casual scene really kicked in then theire was hundreds of us in A block in grandstand and all the jack skinheads were trying to take the piss ha ha. They had about 5 dressers in grange end i never forgot the jack john tattoo with his wedge.Remember him lads :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:53 pm

anybody know a website for lyle and scott jackets ?
i wana buy 1 but cant find any

Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:12 pm

Old Canton Casual wrote:i remember boxing day in 83 v the jacks. The casual scene really kicked in then theire was hundreds of us in A block in grandstand and all the jack skinheads were trying to take the piss ha ha. They had about 5 dressers in grange end i never forgot the jack john tattoo with his wedge.Remember him lads :ayatollah:

Yehhh remember this game very well........I think we filled Block A & B .....I was wearing a light blue Lacoste Windsheater & Munchens ...Does anyone remember after the game we all tried to say goodbye to our west walian cousins :lol: by storming up into the ely link rd..? :lol: :lol:

Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:29 pm

Levi's, Fred Perry polo's & USAF MA1 flight jacket, 1979.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:38 pm

Don't do casual!

Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:42 pm

Ben Sherman shirt, Black harrington, Levi's or sta-prest, DMs in the early 70s. Had a crombie, like the one in C Rombie Coat's atavar. (Sorry if I spelt your name wrong) a year or so later. Remember that everybody was wearing Gentle Folk Jeans when our family moved to Cardiff in 1976. Have not seen any for years. Happy days :ayatollah:

Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:58 pm

In 86 i brought myself a yellow lacoste jumper on holiday in Spain. Cost about 50 quid in those days. Loved it. 1st proper trainers were adidas Sambas

Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:00 pm

Had amate who was more into to the gear than the football,and tryed to drag the rest of us along with him,but we was more intrested in spending our hard earned on a good night out.I remember buying a pringle jumper fromWhitchurch golf course on a Saturday morning with a shocking hangover,and you could'nt be seen dead wearing anything less than lois jeans

Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:33 pm

Dupe of Manchester jacket. Ltd addition.I didnt realise how ltd until a fella in woodies offered to buy it off my back once. :ayatollah:

Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:42 pm

Taff on the Mersey wrote:Dupe of Manchester jacket. Ltd addition.I didnt realise how ltd until a fella in woodies offered to buy it off my back once. :ayatollah:

Sorry Dupe, born in Manchester 1991 it was called. Lost in the end, although im convinced it was robbed.

Now in its second season since its worldwide relaunch last autumn, menswear label Dupe Clothing has got everyone talking about its jackets. Dupe, born in Manchester in 1991, always had a massive following in Japan and so 8 years ago, they decided to only sell there. Autumn 03 saw the brand back in the UK again. "We've taken Dupe back to it's original philosophy - Manchester, football casuals - but we've also added what we've learnt from all our time in Japan." says Adam Creed who's designed Dupe since its inception. Dupe Clothing is priced £30-£500. Manufactered in Italy, Switzerland & UK.

Think they may be dead now, cant find a website. R.I.P :cry: It was my first love that jacket. FOR ACID CASUALS!!