Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Steward complaint

Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:28 pm

The stewards by us are good as gold they speak to us all very well but I know they have been told by the club to make us sit down and if we do not listen then ban them so if you have an over zealous one then u could be banned n=for bugger all.

Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:43 pm

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:
ashccfc wrote:
tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:Sorry to imposition anyone, but who should I email if I wish to complain about a steward?

Thank you.

give us his steward number and the whole board can complain about him. anyone manhandling fans should get the sack

I will do an email when I'm less busy. I cannot take this lying down; the worst thing was resisting the urge to get my own back.

you should wait outside post match and follow him home....hang about....catch him as he pops back from his neigbourhood watch meeting....just ask him to "sit down"....stare him out, he will be a tad frantic at this point....i very much doubt he will ever ask you to sit down again. and you havent broken the law. :lol: :ayatollah:

Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:46 pm

valleyrambill wrote:The stewards by us are good as gold they speak to us all very well but I know they have been told by the club to make us sit down and if we do not listen then ban them so if you have an over zealous one then u could be banned n=for bugger all.

I've been told the same by them, and I fear they actually will do it to me. I'm faced with the dilemma of not standing/singing but holding onto my ticket - but I feel like I'm letting down the team then.

Us supporters should not be put in such a position. and there were people standing in front of me yesterday, yet I'm the one that gets told to sit down.

As someone has said in another thread, we need to mobilize and do something about it as a group.

I was also told the they want to make 117 a family friendly area for the Premiership, and so the WHOLE stands days of standing are going to be numbered

Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:51 pm

The fact that stewards don't have to have an SIA license is worrying to me. Pub managers, experienced door staff had to take the SIA course and exam at considerable cost to themselves and some of them had years of experience. Why are football stewards exempt from the criminal records checks too, surely that is wrong are or we to believe they are angels.

If a steward laid hands on me I would take that as an assault and react accordingly. They have a job to do but they are not above the law. I think we all ought to use our phones and record this type of behaviour and if the club wont act then lets show this aggressive behaviour to the authorities and make sure that stewards have to go through the same checks and training as others in the security industry.

Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:00 pm

Johnny Rythmn wrote:
ashccfc wrote:
tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:Sorry to imposition anyone, but who should I email if I wish to complain about a steward?

Thank you.

give us his steward number and the whole board can complain about him. anyone manhandling fans should get the sack

better still keep a sticky with all the stewards' numbers and offences they have committed then we can all get to know them

good post. if the powers at the club won't listen to our fans complaints then we should just deal with it ourselves. we as cardiff city fans have never been known to roll-over and take things. I stand in the canton 106 and i vow that if i see any fan being bullied my friends and i will all join in (not violantly)

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:08 pm

ridofrid wrote:The fact that stewards don't have to have an SIA license is worrying to me. Pub managers, experienced door staff had to take the SIA course and exam at considerable cost to themselves and some of them had years of experience. Why are football stewards exempt from the criminal records checks too, surely that is wrong are are we to believe they are angels.

If a steward laid hands on me I would take that as an assault and react accordingly. They have a job to do but they are not above the law. I think we all ought to use our phones and record this type of behaviour and if the club wont act then lets show this aggressive behaviour to the authorities and make sure that stewards have to go through the same checks and training as others in the security industry.

no youve missed my point ridofrid, im a doorman myself have been for 10 years, so im sia accredited anyway before i became a steward. The reason why the sia havent muscled into football stewarding, is because the FA made the arguement and its a valid one is that all the training and the crb checks that the sia would have implemented already existed within stewarding actually at one point, stewarding was light years ahead of the training that doorman and security guards had. Now with the sia in existence training is on a par between stewarding and and the rest of the security industry. Now the training is a bit mickey mouse and in my opinion doesnt really teach you anything, but the door supervisor course is the same the only way to learn how to do these jobs is through experience and learning the skills acquired from people who have been in the job for a couple of years. Now im not stupid so i wont say that every steward is perfect, there will be bad bad stewards but on the flip side there are alot of very good stewards.

Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:18 pm

I would like to say that the stewards who go to the away games are true legend. I've been going to away games for more years than I care to remeber and every game they make a point of saying hello to me and my friends and ask us how are trips are, and take a personal interest in each fan who goes regularly, for example I used to live in Glasgow and am terrified of flying so they would ask me how the flight was, how drunk I had to get etc. Salt of the earth people who don't get enough credit for what they have done over the years.

However, I couldn't believe the attatude of the steward though yesterday when all I asked him to do was to stop watching the match and step back down one step where he could still see the match and react to anything that he might need to. Not only IMO was he out of order standing in the way of not just me but hte fans around me but to be so disrespectful to say to a season ticket holder that I should move seats and then make a rude comment about me really has wound me up. The irony is, if I had stood up to see over his head I would have been told to sit down.

I sit in 113 and the stewards number was 409.

Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:26 pm

Jonny

I am not saying that all stewards are bad - far from it.
What I am trying to say is that it is wrong for a steward to lay hands on a customer, especially when there are steep steps around. If the steward does this it is obvious that he is going to aggravate the situation possibly to the extent that others might join in and all hell would break loose, and I for one would certainly not want that. Any steward with any experience would certainly not be the first to make bodily contact and all the stewards should be trained accordingly.
I still think that all the stewards should have to go through the SIA training even though, in your opinion its now poor as why should they be exempt from the hundreds of pounds cost that others were forced to pay.

Of course we need stewards, god forbid but one day we may have to evacuate the stadium quickly, but a small minority of the stewards have attitude problems and can say that from experience as I had banned one of them from a pub I was running and he was on pubwatch as well. If the SIA checks had been done then this would have come out so the checks that were used in the past didn't work.

Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:52 pm

ridofrid wrote:Jonny

I am not saying that all stewards are bad - far from it.
What I am trying to say is that it is wrong for a steward to lay hands on a customer, especially when there are steep steps around. If the steward does this it is obvious that he is going to aggravate the situation possibly to the extent that others might join in and all hell would break loose, and I for one would certainly not want that. Any steward with any experience would certainly not be the first to make bodily contact and all the stewards should be trained accordingly.
I still think that all the stewards should have to go through the SIA training even though, in your opinion its now poor as why should they be exempt from the hundreds of pounds cost that others were forced to pay.

Of course we need stewards, god forbid but one day we may have to evacuate the stadium quickly, but a small minority of the stewards have attitude problems and can say that from experience as I had banned one of them from a pub I was running and was on pubwatch as well. If the SIA checks had been done then this would have come out so the checks that were used in the past didn't work.

ok ill concede your point maybe the sia should take over steward training, i dont think it will make much difference, how many sia registered doorman have you met with bad attitudes, ive met loads over the years both ones ive worked with and ones ive met while im out on the piss.
But i dont think its wrong to lay hands on fans if the situation warrants it.
Ill give you an example,
The games kicked off you havent found your seat and your standing on the steps, Ill come see you and ask you could you find your seat. If you comply and find your seat brilliant job done no need for any further action.
But what if you refuse and remain standing in the steps, Ill ask you again, could you find your seat please. You still dont move, ill ask you again but this time ill make contact with you by probably putting my hand on your shoulder and try to aim you into the seats. At this point your really on the fence as to whether i throw you out or not and there had better be a good reason as to why your not in your seat, this reason may not have been established at the beginning. But if you still refuse you dont leave me with much option except throw you out because ill probably have the control room screaming at me as to why you are not in your seat. I dont do this job for the power trip, i dont like throwing fans out of the ground but it is part of the job. In the near future we make our way to the Liberty Stadium, ill be in the stewarding team from Cardiff City, but my job role will reverse, my job will be to keep you calm, keep you safe and more importantly keep you in the ground and trust me if you think Cardiff's stewards are bad you will cringe when you meet swansea's stewards.

Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:01 pm

if a steward put a hand on you fall down get ur mate to call the old bill an do him for assualt
also threaten the club with legal action due to the fact that they employ him if they will not
listen to complaints about the stewards perhaps legal action make them

Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:48 pm

Right, I have done my email. Would anyone like to proof read it for me/offer feedback?

Also, who should I send it to - I am thinking Gethin Jenkins, am I right to send it to him? If so, please can I have his email address :ayatollah: