Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Jay Emmanuel-Thomas

Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:18 pm

Hi guys, Arsenal fan here, thought I'd come and see what you all make of getting Jay Emmanuel-Thomas for the rest of the season, and if you know what sort of player you are getting?

Here's a video that gives you an idea of what he's all about;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFjaBXa3Sys

That's representative of his form for our Reserves this season. He has torn apart just about every team he has faced, and has looked far too good for that level of football. That West Ham Reserve side had Faubert, Spector, Tomkins, Stanislas, and Benni McCarthy in it - they were no mugs.

Even to Arsenal fans, Jay is a bit of an unknown quality. Wenger has raved about him to an extent I've rarely seen, yet he has barely had a look in for the first team. It's clear to anyone who watches him for five minutes that he has incredible talent - he can pass, he can dribble, he can finish from just about anywhere, he can run extremely quickly, as well as being 6'3 and as strong as an ox. What he has lacked up until this season is maturity and application. His spells on loan at Doncaster and Blackpool last season were symptomatic of that.

By all accounts, since the start of pre-season he has finally started showing the sort of professionalism and application in training that Wenger has been trying hard to coax out of him. He's MUCH fitter, stronger, quicker and more disciplined/determined than he was this time last year. A different player to the one who you might have caught glimpses of at Blackpool and Doncaster last season.

In terms of his best position, it's between two really. Either he will carry on in the right sided role he has played for our Reserves, or he'll play as a proper centre forward. I think I prefer him from the right, his dribbling ability and speed means he can really threaten from that position, and being left footed, when he cuts in he is absolutely lethal. His work rate has improved out of all recognition from last season, and so I think he'll do a good job going the other way in that position, too. I'm assuming you guys play 4-4-2 predominantly? So if he were to play through the middle it would be with a strike partner, which would probably help Jay get used to the role at the start. Although looking long-term for Arsenal, he looks like one of those highly sought-after strikers that might be able to properly play the lone striker role. How he does for you and what position he settles in will probably decide where he ends up for us.

With all the positive I've reeled off about him, Jay still needs to show he has the heart for the battle, that he can play under pressure, consistently, week-in, week-out. He really does have all the talent in the world, but that's never enough in its own, and it really is a complete unknown quantity as to whether Jay's up to it or not.

Although, I guarantee that if he is up to it, he will be one of the stars of the Championship between now and the end of the season. He's that good.

Re: Jay Emmanuel-Thomas

Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:24 pm

Excellent, thanks for the information. He sounds like a he is going to be an exciting player for us in the Championship. Cant wait to see him unleashed

Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:27 pm

Yes thanks for feedback and really looking forward to see him play later, looks like he will play on the right for us unless bothroyd goes. will certainly give us plenty of options.

Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:36 pm

Thanks Ricky.

Looking forward to seeing him play! Any chance you can coax Wenger to extend Ramsey's loan until the end of the season.

Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:57 pm

he looked good today :ayatollah:

Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:11 pm

A contender for MOM today in my opinion. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:17 pm

he worked very hard and he was out on his feet at the end he looked knackered.
great first game :ayatollah:

Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:21 pm

he did well today a good signing for us

Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:01 pm

Guys
For a kid on his debut he is some talent. If he has a fault can be a little bit greedy but he needs to learn when to let the shot go. I was very impressed and Arsenal have got a fabulous talent in JET. Glad he;s playing for us not any of the other Championship sides

Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:24 pm

what an impressive signing the guy is gonna be a world class player

can we sign him :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

and he was told by chops how to do the :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :lol: :lol:

Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:25 pm

bluebirdbaz wrote:what an impressive signing the guy is gonna be a world class player

can we sign him :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

and he was told by chops how to do the :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :lol: :lol:

not chops. not the ginger ''...........'' :oops: :lol:

Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:26 pm

Considering the fact he has been playing in the reserves (which is a crap standard really !) virtually all season, he was very good and tried hard. Credit to him, but I think it's obvious there's more to come :ayatollah:

Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:26 pm

where have i seen that colour rinse before :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)

Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:27 pm

Thought he looked a little nervous but he's strong as an ox and looks like he has pace to burn good showing today and i think there's a lot more to come IMHO Arsenal have a real talent on their books :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:03 pm

He was quality yesterday, a great addition to the team.

Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:09 pm

So strong on the ball, good pace, unhurried, and there is a swagger, an arrogance about him.

This guy is going to be a fan's favourite and a tremendous asset in the promotion push.

A tremendous signing
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:09 pm

Thrown in at the deep end yesterday. Played really well.

Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:10 pm

chris_ccfc wrote:He was quality yesterday, a great addition to the team.

have to agree pacy skillful & strong, he is going to be a great signing for us!! should get some goals aswell!!

i had to giggle when he was outside the penalty area and he didnt know what to do, everyone shouted shoot and it just went wide!! so he will score goals i have no doubt, thought he linked up well with bellamy when he changed positions! :ayatollah:

Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:30 pm

He had a good debut to be fair. He looks everything you said he is. Pacy and strong. Can pick out a pass.

I'd sack the barber though!!

Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:41 pm

You wait till he gets use to the guys around him then it should be fun :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:05 pm

ricky1985 wrote:Hi guys, Arsenal fan here, thought I'd come and see what you all make of getting Jay Emmanuel-Thomas for the rest of the season, and if you know what sort of player you are getting?

Here's a video that gives you an idea of what he's all about;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFjaBXa3Sys

That's representative of his form for our Reserves this season. He has torn apart just about every team he has faced, and has looked far too good for that level of football. That West Ham Reserve side had Faubert, Spector, Tomkins, Stanislas, and Benni McCarthy in it - they were no mugs.

Even to Arsenal fans, Jay is a bit of an unknown quality. Wenger has raved about him to an extent I've rarely seen, yet he has barely had a look in for the first team. It's clear to anyone who watches him for five minutes that he has incredible talent - he can pass, he can dribble, he can finish from just about anywhere, he can run extremely quickly, as well as being 6'3 and as strong as an ox. What he has lacked up until this season is maturity and application. His spells on loan at Doncaster and Blackpool last season were symptomatic of that.

By all accounts, since the start of pre-season he has finally started showing the sort of professionalism and application in training that Wenger has been trying hard to coax out of him. He's MUCH fitter, stronger, quicker and more disciplined/determined than he was this time last year. A different player to the one who you might have caught glimpses of at Blackpool and Doncaster last season.

In terms of his best position, it's between two really. Either he will carry on in the right sided role he has played for our Reserves, or he'll play as a proper centre forward. I think I prefer him from the right, his dribbling ability and speed means he can really threaten from that position, and being left footed, when he cuts in he is absolutely lethal. His work rate has improved out of all recognition from last season, and so I think he'll do a good job going the other way in that position, too. I'm assuming you guys play 4-4-2 predominantly? So if he were to play through the middle it would be with a strike partner, which would probably help Jay get used to the role at the start. Although looking long-term for Arsenal, he looks like one of those highly sought-after strikers that might be able to properly play the lone striker role. How he does for you and what position he settles in will probably decide where he ends up for us.

With all the positive I've reeled off about him, Jay still needs to show he has the heart for the battle, that he can play under pressure, consistently, week-in, week-out. He really does have all the talent in the world, but that's never enough in its own, and it really is a complete unknown quantity as to whether Jay's up to it or not.

Although, I guarantee that if he is up to it, he will be one of the stars of the Championship between now and the end of the season. He's that good.

You're his dad aren't you :lol:

:ayatollah:

Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:12 pm

He looked excellent in the first half yesterday, with Bothroyd he looked a great player and I'm excited to see him link with McNaughton on the right instead of Quinn. Thing is the 2nd half he didn't look the sort of player we want when we're under pressure, but I'm sure that will come with experience. Didn't stop arguing with Olly and Quinn (for good reason) the whole game so he obviously cares!

Main thing though is, he did the :ayatollah: