Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: " My view on the atmosphere at the new stadium "

Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:43 pm

thejonesboy wrote:As someone who started going down the City in 79, I feel well qualified to say that, imo the atmosphere at Ninian wasn't as good as what people on here made out it was. Yes, for some games like Leeds (02), Man City (94) and various Jack games the place was rocking, but on the other side of the coin, the Stoke play off game, the place was like a morgue and I can regularly remember us being outsung by the likes of 100 Rochdale fans in upper block A back in the dungeon years.
In my opinion the atmosphere at the CCS has been no worse than Ninian for the majority of the time and for me, the Leicester play off game and last seasons Jack game the place rocked as well as Ninian ever did. I much prefer the new stadium, and whether you like it or not, the CCS has attracted loads of new fans which would never have happened at Ninian.
If you want to make the atmosphere better, then I suggest all the 'singers' who are near the away fans in the Ninian Stand move to the Canton and create our own Kop. You dont need to be near away support to create an atmosphere!

I have been at Ninian Park when a crowd of 4,000 have made more Noise than 24,000 do in the New Stadium, of course there were many matches with Terrible Atmospheres.

" But were NOT TALKING ABOUT NINIAN PARK HERE, WERE TALKING ABOUT 2 YEARS OF SUCCESS AT THE NEW STADIUM WITH 24,000 PLUS CROWDS AND NO ATMOSPHERE. "

Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:57 pm

thejonesboy wrote:As someone who started going down the City in 79, I feel well qualified to say that, imo the atmosphere at Ninian wasn't as good as what people on here made out it was. Yes, for some games like Leeds (02), Man City (94) and various Jack games the place was rocking, but on the other side of the coin, the Stoke play off game, the place was like a morgue and I can regularly remember us being outsung by the likes of 100 Rochdale fans in upper block A back in the dungeon years.
In my opinion the atmosphere at the CCS has been no worse than Ninian for the majority of the time and for me, the Leicester play off game and last seasons Jack game the place rocked as well as Ninian ever did. I much prefer the new stadium, and whether you like it or not, the CCS has attracted loads of new fans which would never have happened at Ninian.
If you want to make the atmosphere better, then I suggest all the 'singers' who are near the away fans in the Ninian Stand move to the Canton and create our own Kop. You dont need to be near away support to create an atmosphere!

yes you do, banter is brilliant and you can bounce off each other, love it. I cant understand people who say Ninian was
not that good for atmosphere, it was. At times it could be a bit quiet but good atmosphere more often than not. Maybe
its all according to where you were sitting if you thought it was a good atmosphere or not?

Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:22 pm

In all the games I watched at Ninian Park since the early 80's, I would say that 1 in every 8 games would be considered as having a quiet atmosphere, and that was with crowds from 2000 upwards. There was never a quiet crowd when we played our main rivals, even if the numbers were not always high. I would say that the stats are reversed, now, its more like 1 game in every 8 has a decent atmosphere.
Our ground experience is much like, the new and bigger grounds we used to visit as away supporters, when we were frequently the smaller club or underdog, and our sizeable away following would outsing the home crowd. Oh how we used to laugh and scoff at those home supporters!! Now, most away supporters who come to our stadium, do the very same!

Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:25 pm

Leytonstoneblue wrote:In all the games I watched at Ninian Park since the early 80's, I would say that 1 in every 8 games would be considered as having a quiet atmosphere, and that was with crowds from 2000 upwards. There was never a quiet crowd when we played our main rivals, even if the numbers were not always high. I would say that the stats are reversed, now, its more like 1 game in every 8 has a decent atmosphere.
Our ground experience is much like, the new and bigger grounds we used to visit as away supporters, when we were frequently the smaller club or underdog, and our sizeable away following would outsing the home crowd. Oh how we used to laugh and scoff at those home supporters!! Now, most away supporters who come to our stadium, do the very same!

SPOT ON and GREAT DAYS :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:28 pm

In some ways Sludge is right and many ways he is wrong in my opinion. Swansea this season before kick off i saw the team and worked out the tactics that Dave Jones was going to use and i new there and then we was going to loose. And it was a right deflater that's for sure. And other times when we have played well then the atmo never got going.
Case one Leicester last season first game the atmo was shit then Gypes got sent off and it was backs to the wall. You could see the team were putting there all into the game put there lives on the line so to speak and the Fans responded in like and the atmo was stunning.
The Jacks then came around and the atmo was great we played well and we could all sense we was going to beat them. Then that Leicester game a great atmo from both sets of fans had the place rocking, But we was 1 game from Wembley :ayatollah:
But general games our support is muted and we need the grange Canton swapped and we need the club to get rid of there atmo killer approach. So some times yes Sludge is right but in general i think he is off the mark, but good post Sludge.

Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:28 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:In some ways Sludge is right and many ways he is wrong in my opinion. Swansea this season before kick off i saw the team and worked out the tactics that Dave Jones was going to use and i new there and then we was going to loose. And it was a right deflater that's for sure. And other times when we have played well then the atmo never got going.
Case one Leicester last season first game the atmo was shit then Gypes got sent off and it was backs to the wall. You could see the team were putting there all into the game put there lives on the line so to speak and the Fans responded in like and the atmo was stunning.
The Jacks then came around and the atmo was great we played well and we could all sense we was going to beat them. Then that Leicester game a great atmo from both sets of fans had the place rocking, But we was 1 game from Wembley :ayatollah:
But general games our support is muted and we need the grange Canton swapped and we need the club to get rid of there atmo killer approach. So some times yes Sludge is right but in general i think he is off the mark, but good post Sludge.

I think the only reason that the game against the Jacks 2009-2010 season had a decent atmosphere, was because it was the first time we had played them in the new stadium, and it was more about us not wanting them to get one over us, in terms of having the better support. As the game went on, and of course with a last gasp winner from Chops, the ground exploded, but surely you would expect that to happen, wherever we were playing, under those circumstances. The game this season, well our crowd never even got going, and that's down to the fact that everyone is seperated and spread out.
IMO, it was pretty easy for the crowd to get going at Ninian Park, as mates and aquaintances could easily get together, as we still do away from home. We had some awesome atmosphere's at Ninian, especially considering how relatively poor the standard of football was.
I would suggest that the mere fact that we still have awesome support, which is noisy etc AWAY from home surely proves somewhat that the crowd hasn't changed with their passion, but the surroundings at home have an effect. In answer to Sludges initial point, we have had some piss poor results and performances on the road, but the noise from us has been awesome, Watford and QPR springs to mind.

Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:28 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:In some ways Sludge is right and many ways he is wrong in my opinion. Swansea this season before kick off i saw the team and worked out the tactics that Dave Jones was going to use and i new there and then we was going to loose. And it was a right deflater that's for sure. And other times when we have played well then the atmo never got going.

Another way of looking at things is that when I first started supporting the City we lost /drew more games than we won, so any kind of win was a cause for a great atmosphere. Maybe we've all become complacecent and expect to win ? and then if we're not storming away with things the atmosphere quickly goes dead.

I've always thought that we (the supporters and the team) are at our best as underdogs.

Trouble is we aren't very often underdogs anymore. If we go up though...

Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:51 pm

Sludge , You never replied to my answers :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:55 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

I have been at Ninian Park when a crowd of 4,000 have made more Noise than 24,000 do in the New Stadium, of course there were many matches with Terrible Atmospheres.

" But were NOT TALKING ABOUT NINIAN PARK HERE, WERE TALKING ABOUT 2 YEARS OF SUCCESS AT THE NEW STADIUM WITH 24,000 PLUS CROWDS AND NO ATMOSPHERE. "

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:40 am

i suppose it comes down to 2 things.Do you want to go to support the boys or Do you want to go and concentrate more on abusing the away fans and missing whats happening on the pitch.Ok i know there has to be banter but surely we need to lift the team spirit? :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: