Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" My view on the atmosphere at the new stadium "

Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:15 pm

my opinion is its got nowt to do with the layout or design or where people sit

its to do with the fact that the team are playing badly at home

when we beat swansea it was pumping , the place was like a bear pit

but when we play the likes of forest , who brought a good following , and we put in a really poor show , thats when the atmosphere seems bad ..as it is for all teams when they perform badly at home

Re: my view on the atmosphere at the new stadium

Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:42 pm

You are bang on the money SLUDGE.

Awesome atmosphere versus Leicester (twice)and jacks last season.

Yes Ninian was occasionally rocking, more often than not it wasnt, unless of course you consider a good atmosphere a bunch of kids shouting and swearing at a dividing curtain on the grange or a bunch of thirtysomethings flicking the Vs and giving it the big one in block A.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:11 pm

Sludge wrote:my opinion is its got nowt to do with the layout or design or where people sit

but when we play the likes of forest , who brought a good following , and we put in a really poor show , thats when the atmosphere seems bad ..as it is for all teams when they perform badly at home

Sorry, I don't agree.

The only games that have had a good atmosphere, were Leicester and Swansea, last Season. Doncaster this year wasn’t too bad. We have played some good stuff in the last 18 months, so think its not about the way we play.

I think it’s because of where people are sat. Your no longer sat/stood next to like minded people. The situation kind of reminds me of the millenium stadium, where you will have a row of say 5 boys, then a family (not slagging families off by the way), then you'll have some guy on a first date etc etc.

The way I would change it, is not by switch ends, but perhaps making certain blocks, free seating, on a first come basis. It's often like this at away games, you have your seat number, but in reality you sit where theres a seat.

Would this work?

Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:49 pm

Sludge wrote:my opinion is its got nowt to do with the layout or design or where people sit

Agree with this and not what the last poster said.

Its common sense - play well, score goals and win and the fans will get noisy. Play like clowns like they have done in most home games since Nov, then the crowd will lose interest.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:53 pm

persnally i think its fear from the fans that we are going to f**k up

Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:16 pm

Danny Says wrote:

Its common sense - play well, score goals and win and the fans will get noisy. Play like clowns like they have done in most home games since Nov, then the crowd will lose interest.

So are you saying, in the last 18 months, we have only palyed well a handful of times?

Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:26 pm

And so the debate continues ............................

Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:27 pm

totally disagree,to many people that dont know how to get behind the team,and we seem to have lost our identity,i know ive said it a few times but what happened to the ayattolah. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:56 pm

we aint played well at home since november

we were very poor v the jacks

and you can be sure if we outplayed the jacks at the liberty like they did at our place this season then it would ruin the atmosphere for some time

and we aint dont much since then really

countless times ninian has been like a morgue

the truth of the fact is this ...we have NEVER really been a noisy bunch at home .....and old heads will know this is the truth

games v leeds in the cup ?...one offs

Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:10 pm

i very much agree with sludge i much prefer going on away trips the atmosphere and commaradary of cardiff fans is fantastic.This should be the case at home,but i suppose if your team are playing shit it don't give you much heart.But whats the answer nobody's got a crystal ball have they?? :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:21 pm

troobloo wrote:i very much agree with sludge i much prefer going on away trips the atmosphere and commaradary of cardiff fans is fantastic.This should be the case at home,but i suppose if your team are playing shit it don't give you much heart.But whats the answer nobody's got a crystal ball have they?? :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

The answer is more proper fans and better performances

Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:33 pm

Sorry Sludge but I disagree. With the singers spread out throughout the stadium it prevents any chants and any sort of atmosphere going. We need the singers grouped together. The stadium at the moment is like a morgue.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:44 pm

chris_ccfc wrote:

Sorry Sludge but I disagree. With the singers spread out throughout the stadium it prevents any chants and any sort of atmosphere going. We need the singers grouped together. The stadium at the moment is like a morgue.

I agree with chris.. Putting the canton next to the away fans would definately raise the atmosphere.. Wether we play well or shite u can guarantee that the away end of the ninian stand and the middle of the canton will always try to get things going.. Who cares if its people sticking their fingers up or shouting abuse. As long as theres no trouble then its just a wind up. The singers are spread out

Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:15 pm

JonnieBlue wrote:
chris_ccfc wrote:

I agree with chris.. Putting the canton next to the away fans would definately raise the atmosphere.. Wether we play well or shite u can guarantee that the away end of the ninian stand and the middle of the canton will always try to get things going.. Who cares if its people sticking their fingers up or shouting abuse. As long as theres no trouble then its just a wind up. The singers are spread out

I dont think switching the ends is the answer. The atmosphere at ninian was never that great bar the occasional game. During the 90's we wernt allowed near the away fans.

I think of other grounds like Anfield and even Elland Road yesterday. Most of the noise came from their respective kops, actually the opposite end to the away fans and they seem to generate decent atmopsheres.

I also think an earlier poster is right, there is a fear factor at home that our team are going to f**k up. That we should be winning every game, playing superb football and when we dont and we havent been recently the atmosphere is tense and edgy. I suppose a downturn in atmosphere goes hand in hand with an upturn in expectations of our supporters. I think if we got to premier league and again the expectations were low, then the atmosphere would be superb.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:44 pm

Has not the fan got a choice of where he/she wants to sit?? meaning= i want to be singing my heart out, i buy a ticket for the canton ect, i want to sit quietly and watch the game i go where ever.

End of the day, why cant the fans who really want to make a good noise all buy tickets for the same stand (if they know where the noise is going to be??

I went to the canton last game and really enjoyed, (normally in the ninian)

just a thought. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:15 pm

For once I fully agree with you.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:25 pm

Danny Says wrote:

Well if thats the case then I hate to have to say this but the we have shit fans if we only sing when the lads are playing well. WHERE HAS THE PASSION GONE?

Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:33 pm

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:36 pm

darran1927 wrote:persnally i think its fear from the fans that we are going to f**k up

I think you've got a great point there.

I also think that the atmosphere would be lifted by a few crunching tackles being put in , like there were in the Leicester cup game. People want to see the players busting their balls, showing pride in their shirts - and then they will get it back from the stands.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:46 pm

SO WEVE PLAYED BAD ALL SEASON AT HOME HAVE WE SLUDGE ?, NOT WON GAMES AT HOME ?
WE HAVENT BEEN TOP or 2nd MOST OF THE SEASON ?

I WOULD HATE TO SEE WHAT ITS LIKE IF WE WERE 2nd FROM BOTTOM .

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33333 :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:50 pm

alfie sherwood wrote:You are bang on the money SLUDGE.

Yes Ninian was occasionally rocking, more often than not it wasnt, unless of course you consider a good atmosphere a bunch of kids shouting and swearing at a dividing curtain on the grange or a bunch of thirtysomethings flicking the Vs and giving it the big one in block A.

Alfie 2 games from 2 Seasons, one game From Wembley and the other Our Biggest Rivals.

SO WEVE PLAYED BAD ALL SEASON AT HOME HAVE WE Alfie ?, NOT WON GAMES AT HOME ?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33333
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: " My view on the atmosphere at the new stadium "

Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:04 pm

Dont care who we play, who the hell's sitting next to me i'll sing my heart out for the City
What I have noticed is a lot of nervous tension until we get in front. A goal down and its the end of the World! and that's when we need to be right behind the boys. There's a lot on us getting promoted this year 'shit or bust' Hey maybe that's what it is WE'RE ALL SHITTING OURSELVES !!!!

Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:30 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Alfie 2 games from 2 Seasons, one game From Wembley and the other Our Biggest Rivals.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33333 :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

think there hasnt been many exciting games this season and all too often the home performances have been 'flat.' with an absence of feisty, battling performances.

Bizarrely going back a years some of the best atmospheres we had at games were during relegation battles.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:41 pm

No fire in our tackling anymore..why is that? :o

Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:21 pm

alfie sherwood wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33333 :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

think there hasnt been many exciting games this season and all too often the home performances have been 'flat.' with an absence of feisty, battling performances.

Bizarrely going back a years some of the best atmospheres we had at games were during relegation battles.

Sorry but I can't agree. Take Bristol City, 2 goals down and we win 3-2. Played very well after the first two goals. Yet the atmosphere was not great against one of our biggest rivals.

Norwich as well.

Even against the Jacks, form of our lives, and where was the atmosphere? Non existant. Our support were made to look a laughing stock, unable to get any atmosphere going in a a match against our enemies, after winning so many on the trot :evil:

Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:39 pm

Sorry but I can't agree. Take Bristol City, 2 goals down and we win 3-2. Played very well after the first two goals. Yet the atmosphere was not great against one of our biggest rivals.

Norwich as well.

Even against the Jacks, form of our lives, and where was the atmosphere? Non existant. Our support were made to look a laughing stock, unable to get any atmosphere going in a a match against our enemies, after winning so many on the trot

I Agree and Atmosphere Absolute Crap. :evil:

Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:45 pm

I was creaming myself after the Stoke match over the atmosphere. This proves how bad it has got, that Tuesday night was an improvement on our normal, capacity crowd atmosphere :evil:

I cannot believe people deny there is a problem

Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:41 am

tylerdurdenisabluebird wrote:I was creaming myself after the Stoke match over the atmosphere. This proves how bad it has got, that Tuesday night was an improvement on our normal, capacity crowd atmosphere :evil:

I cannot believe people deny there is a problem

The ones denying theres a problem and I cant believe it either, are the ones in my opinion who dont really care if there is an atmosphere.

Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:23 am

Football League Championship Cardiff 4-0 Scunthorpe 08-08-2009

English League Cup Cardiff 3-1 Dag & Red11-08-2009

Football League Championship Cardiff 3-0 Bristol C 23-08-2009

English League Cup Cardiff 3-1 Bristol R 26-08-2009

Football League Championship Cardiff 0-1 Newcastle 13-09-2009

Football League Championship Cardiff 0-2 QPR 19-09-2009

Football League Championship Cardiff 6-1 Derby 29-09-2009

Football League Championship Cardiff 1-1 C Palace 17-10-2009

Football League Championship Cardiff 2-0 Coventry 20-10-2009

Football League Championship Cardiff 1-1 Nottm Forest 01-11-2009

Football League Championship Cardiff 1-2 Ipswich 29-11-2009

Football League Championship Cardiff 1-0 Preston 05-12-2009

Football League Championship Cardiff 0-1 Plymouth 26-12-2009

Football League Championship Cardiff 1-1 Blackpool 09-01-2010

English FA Cup Cardiff 1-0 Bristol C 19-01-2010

English FA Cup Cardiff 4-2 Leicester 23-01-2010

Football League Championship Cardiff 2-1 Doncaster 30-01-2010

Football League Championship Cardiff 2-0 Peterborough 09-02-2010

Football League Championship Cardiff 1-1 West Brom 16-02-2010

Football League Championship Cardiff 0-2Barnsley 20-02-2010

Football League Championship Cardiff 1-0 Middlesbro 06-03-2010

Football League Championship Cardiff 3-1 Watford 21-03-2010

Football League Championship Cardiff 1-1 Sheff Utd 24-03-2010

Football League Championship Cardiff 2-1 Leicester 30-03-2010

Football League Championship Cardiff 2-1 Swansea 03-04-2010

Football League Championship Cardiff 0-0 Reading 10-04-2010

Football League Championship Cardiff 3-2 Sheff Wed 24-04-2010

Football League Championship Cardiff 2-3 Leicester 12-05-2010

Football League Championship Cardiff 1-1 Sheff Utd 08-08-2010

English League Cup Cardiff 4-1 Burton 11-08-2010

Football League Championship Cardiff 4-0 Doncaster 21-08-2010

Football League Championship Cardiff 2-0 Hull 11-09-2010

Football League Championship Cardiff 2-1 Millwall 25-09-2010

Football League Championship Cardiff 0-0 C Palace 28-09-2010

Football League Championship Cardiff 3-2 Bristol C 16-10-2010

Football League Championship Cardiff 3-1 Norwich 30-10-2010

Football League Championship Cardiff 0-1 Swansea 07-11-2010

Football League Championship Cardiff 0-2 Nottm Forest 20-11-2010

Football League Championship Cardiff 2-0 Coventry 26-12-2010

Football League Championship Cardiff 2-1 Leeds 04-01-2011

English FA Cup Cardiff 0-2 Stoke 18-01-2011

That is every competitive game played at CCS. How many of them had a great atmosphere and in how many did we play well?

Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:24 pm

As someone who started going down the City in 79, I feel well qualified to say that, imo the atmosphere at Ninian wasn't as good as what people on here made out it was. Yes, for some games like Leeds (02), Man City (94) and various Jack games the place was rocking, but on the other side of the coin, the Stoke play off game, the place was like a morgue and I can regularly remember us being outsung by the likes of 100 Rochdale fans in upper block A back in the dungeon years.
In my opinion the atmosphere at the CCS has been no worse than Ninian for the majority of the time and for me, the Leicester play off game and last seasons Jack game the place rocked as well as Ninian ever did. I much prefer the new stadium, and whether you like it or not, the CCS has attracted loads of new fans which would never have happened at Ninian.
If you want to make the atmosphere better, then I suggest all the 'singers' who are near the away fans in the Ninian Stand move to the Canton and create our own Kop. You dont need to be near away support to create an atmosphere!