Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Nathan Blake on the Bothroyd situation

Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:53 pm

http://m.walesonline.co.uk/ms/p/tmg/wal ... Columnists

Re: Nathan Blake on the Bothroyd situation

Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:54 pm

He's giving the board a good bashing there...

Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:57 pm

Did jays agent write that and Nathan Blake post it or what??!!

Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:59 pm

It's a hard one to make an opinion on because we don't know the financial situation behind closed doors. Maybe the board are only offering what we can but saying that why did we push the boat out so much for Hudson before prioritising the extension of Bothroyd's contract?

I do like Nathan Blake and generally think he talks sense. This is a difficult subject though because it's hard to see what both parties want to do and are able to do.

You can't help but feel we could be doing more though! I certainly don't blame Jay for doing what he has done. In fact, he's gone above and beyond the call of duty by saying he wants to stay here until the summer. Certain other former players haven't thought twice about demanding a transfer or signalling their intention to leave (cough McCormack, Loovens and Ledley) the minute a team has shown interest.

In fact, the past few weeks, Jay has really gone up in my estimations. Other players, even some very loyal ones, would have used Newcastle's official interest to haggle a Premiership move. Jay hasn't. Consider he's not a Welsh lad or a Cardiff boy I think he's shown tremendous commitment to our club (which in all fairness he has no historic affiliation with except as a player and even then he was never a fan of our club before he joined) and I really hope he stays because I'd love to see him gain promotion with us because he deserves it as much as we do as fans.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:02 pm

IF it's true that there wasn't an offer til October and IF it was 'only' £1000 a week extra then that is embarrassing. Gotta hope Nathan has got the wrong info there.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:04 pm

Zabier wrote:It's a hard one to make an opinion on because we don't know the financial situation behind closed doors. Maybe the board are only offering what we can but saying that why did we push the boat out so much for Hudson before prioritising the extension of Bothroyd's contract?

I do like Nathan Blake and generally think he talks sense. This is a difficult subject though because it's hard to see what both parties want to do and are able to do.

You can't help but feel we could be doing more though! I certainly don't blame Jay for doing what he has done. In fact, he's gone above and beyond the call of duty by saying he wants to stay here until the summer. Certain other former players haven't thought twice about demanding a transfer or signalling their intention to leave (cough McCormack, Loovens and Ledley) the minute a team has shown interest.

In fact, the past few weeks, Jay has really gone up in my estimations. Other players, even some very loyal ones, would have used Newcastle's official interest to haggle a Premiership move. Jay hasn't. Consider he's not a Welsh lad or a Cardiff boy I think he's shown tremendous commitment to our club (which in all fairness he has no historic affiliation with except as a player and even then he was never a fan of our club before he joined) and I really hope he stays because I'd love to see him gain promotion with us because he deserves it as much as we do as fans.

Great post Zabier-couldn't agree more, just couldn't be bothered to type for as long as you! :lol: :ayatollah:

Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:07 pm

i've got my pick n shovel! wrote:IF it's true that there wasn't an offer til October and IF it was 'only' £1000 a week extra then that is embarrassing. Gotta hope Nathan has got the wrong info there.

Spot on, we dont know the ins and outs but IF that is true then frankly I dont blame Jay for not signing and you have to ask what the hell were our board and management thinking?

Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:09 pm

I may be wrong but also didnt DJ say last summer that getting Jay to sign a new contract wasnt a priority of his at the time???

Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:28 pm

Gavlar wrote:Did jays agent write that and Nathan Blake post it or what??!!

:lol: :lol: IT can't be coincidence, can it? That's unbelievably biased. Mind you, nothing out of the ordinary for sub-standard rags like the Western Mail & Echo.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:29 pm

Its sad that loyalty has become a thing of the past in football...that article was written by a footballer who sees things from the point of view of a footballer. Greed, money, are main motivating factors in 95% of footballers and their agents minds thesedays...Jay came here after years of frustration, he has been in the Prem before and after a couple of games dropped and put in and out of teams...here he has been allowed "off" days and given the chance to realise his expectations...hopefully that is in his mind...no other club has ever offered Jay an extension on his contract...

What will be will be and we have no control over it...we could offer him £25 grand a week and a 4 year year deal and he then plays crap and we are stuck weith him, or he breaks a leg???? Its not as simple as throwing money at something there are a lot of things to be considered.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:34 pm

Its all very well talking about loyalty etc etc but the fact remains that Jay is our best player yet he is not our best paid player. Yes Jones and Cardiff rescued his career but he has repaid their faith tenfold, he is not from Cardiff and is now in his prime and therefore why should we expect him to see out his best years with us if we are not prepared to pay him adequately? Jay obviously loves Cardiff and I dont think he is looking for stupid money, if we made him a sensible offer then I think he would stay but offering him such a small increase on his current salary when the likes of Hudson, Burke and Chopra will continue to be on more money than him is taking the piss!

Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:38 pm

A major problem in Jay's non-contract offer and the timing of it (and for that matter everyone else who's contract expires at the end of this season - Whitts, Burke etc) was when he had 18 months left on it, an ideal time to renegotiate, we didn't have a pot to piss in under the stewerdship of Ridsdale at that time (and it only got worse until the arrival of the Malaysian investment.)

Difficult to offer new and improved contracts to those players when we as a club financially had nothing to give.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:41 pm

look at it like this, jay was offered 1k more on a new deal. he would still have been earning 6k less thatn hudson :o
when you look at whats he brings to us, thats a bit of a kick in the sack :ayatollah:

Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:44 pm

a kick in the sack and a poke in the yack!

with a shitty stick!

Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:03 pm

corky wrote:Its sad that loyalty has become a thing of the past in football...that article was written by a footballer who sees things from the point of view of a footballer. Greed, money, are main motivating factors in 95% of footballers and their agents minds thesedays...Jay came here after years of frustration, he has been in the Prem before and after a couple of games dropped and put in and out of teams...here he has been allowed "off" days and given the chance to realise his expectations...hopefully that is in his mind...no other club has ever offered Jay an extension on his contract...

What will be will be and we have no control over it...we could offer him £25 grand a week and a 4 year year deal and he then plays crap and we are stuck weith him, or he breaks a leg???? Its not as simple as throwing money at something there are a lot of things to be considered.

Absolutely spot on :ayatollah:

Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:04 pm

When you see that Hudson is on more money that Jay shows the club are doing things wrong if that is true.

Jay has been the most important player for Cardiff the results and performances prove that so why if the club got money securing our best player should be just as important as getting new ones in plus if we were to lose Jay to a prem team then it would cost the buying club decent amount of money not go free.

I have big concerns like Nathan Blake has yes TG & VT have done a lot for the club but what a gamble we are playing as we could lost a lot of players like our loan players like bells drinkwater koumas Olly and the new Jay from Arsenal then we have a lot of players who could walk free like Jay plus other players like Chopra Whits and others that could leave to if the right offer comes in if we fail promotion and lose the other players.

So that is why I want promotion so much otherwise if we do not go up I think we could be in real trouble and have a terrible summer of worrying

Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:10 pm

I think he'll stay until the Summer unless a silly bid comes in from an established Prem club.

If we go up he'll stay, if not he'll be able to leave on a free to a much better club than Newcastle or Sunderland.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:10 pm

milly44 wrote:look at it like this, jay was offered 1k more on a new deal. he would still have been earning 6k less thatn hudson :o
when you look at whats he brings to us, thats a bit of a kick in the sack :ayatollah:

Spot on! :ayatollah:

Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:22 pm

How can Blake say that a suitor need not talk to Cardiff City just the player and his agent? :?

Am I missing something here?

Bothroyd is contracted.

Make him stick to his contract. City resurrected his career. He owes us.

He is not worth his true transfer value with only a few months left on his contract. What price is that for a player when his employees need him to kick start their promotion bid? The club will get this money back many times fold if they go up.

Yes he might get injured, yes he might not score goals but the gamble must be to use his talents to get up, and if we don't then City lose out on transfer money, but if we go up then if he stays he stays; if he goes, he goes.

This player as we all know is absolutely pivotal to the way the team operates. We all know this.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:28 pm

he isnt saying he wants to move, he isnt kicking up a fuss, i just feel he deserves alot better.

GJ and DJ should never have let it get into this situation.

most agree if we want to go up then he is going to need to be a big part of that.

so offering him 1k on top of his current deal in my opinion doesnt reflect his value to us, when you compare it to other players earning double, and some treble what hes on. :ayatollah:

Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:25 pm

Danny Says wrote:How can Blake say that a suitor need not talk to Cardiff City just the player and his agent? :?

Bothroyd is contracted.

He is not worth his true transfer value with only a few months left on his contract. What price is that for a player when his employees need him to kick start their promotion bid? The club will get this money back many times fold if they go up.

Yes he might get injured, yes he might not score goals but the gamble must be to use his talents to get up, and if we don't then City lose out on transfer money, but if we go up then if he stays he stays; if he goes, he goes.

This player as we all know is absolutely pivotal to the way the team operates. We all know this.

Yes, he's pivotal, so pay him the money to reflect that. Simples. If that means getting rid of overpaid players nowhere near his standard, then adios.

He owes us? He's worked his bollocks off on the pitch for the club.

And yes, we might get 1-2m for him now, but get squillions if we go up, but guess what? There's no guarantee we'll go up with or without Jay. Gambling on getting into the Prem was the Ridsdale technique for financial management, don't forget....

Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:37 pm

plus bothroyd practically does 2 jobs when he's on the pitch..how many times do you see him defending and heading away oppositions corners etc..

no wonder we miss him so much.

they just need to pull their finger out and offer him what he's really worth.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:47 pm

nerd wrote:
Danny Says wrote:How can Blake say that a suitor need not talk to Cardiff City just the player and his agent? :?

Bothroyd is contracted.

Yes, he's pivotal, so pay him the money to reflect that. Simples. If that means getting rid of overpaid players nowhere near his standard, then adios.

He owes us? He's worked his bollocks off on the pitch for the club.

And yes, we might get 1-2m for him now, but get squillions if we go up, but guess what? There's no guarantee we'll go up with or without Jay. Gambling on getting into the Prem was the Ridsdale technique for financial management, don't forget....

Take your points, and have to conclude there is no easy answer to this one - it'll all be clear in 10 days time.

How can City get rid of players, overpaid or not, in contract except to pay them off?

Just really hope he plays on saturday and gives the team a chance as TBH without him, we're pretty average up front and with our porous defence, Watford would fancy thier chances especially given the form they are in.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:07 pm

I'd wank my boss off if he offered me a £1k a week wage rise!!!!!