Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Ninian Park all seated

Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:13 am

One thing people forget is that if we'd stayed at Ninian Park, it would have to have gone all seater because that's the rules - it couldn't have stayed as it was so we had no choice but to change.

We could either have played with a 10,000 or so all-seater capacity with terraced areas fenced off - which would have been a non-starter - developed Ninian Park, or move to a new stadium.

If we'd developed Ninian into a 25,000 all seater do people think the atmosphere would have been as good as it was? Or at least better than CCS? People could at least have sat in the same areas of the ground although in new stands?

For what it's worth, I don't think a new Ninian would have been that much better than CCS for atmosphere. The same problems we get at CCS would still be there ie. all seater, over keen stewards, singing fans spread out, family stand placed by the away fans etc etc

Yes, I do think we need to organise better to create an atmosphere in CCS because it's very poor much of the time (as was Ninian at times) but I have accepted we needed to move on.

Re: Ninian Park all seated

Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:17 am

We couldnt develop Ninian into a 25000 seater--
No Room on Grandstand grange or canton without knocking peoples houses down#

We had to move --it was a dump --be grateful for what we have

Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:22 am

Great post Halifax93. Also rare on here to see a post where "have" is used correctly instead place "of". Annis take note. This frees up "off" for it's correct use.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:29 am

IMO the lack of atmosphere is not just due to the stadiums, stewards, songs, home or away fans.

It's what happens on the field of play which dictates how good the atmosphere will be i.e. results, sytle of play, the attachment the fans have to the players and the club.

The more fans feel part of the club (which is bound to more when we were at the wrong end of the leagues with much smaller crowds) then the more likely we are to sing and create a better atmosphere.

It is no coincidence that our 'away' support is ten times better than our home support; as 100% of those who travel away regularly are die hard City fans who feel more of an attachment to the club (and that's not meant as a dig at those who don't go away like me)

Also the 'sing when you are winning' song is not just a jibe it is true of us and just about every other set of fans.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:32 am

del boy wrote:Great post Halifax93. Also rare on here to see a post where "have" is used correctly instead place "of". Annis take note. This frees up "off" for it's correct use.

Thanks Del Boy - I'm available to edit any of the books he may be working on for a very large fee :D

Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:37 am

I have been waiting for a player being shown a red card. He'll have to call it a "sending have"!

Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:28 am

Halifax93 wrote:
del boy wrote:Great post Halifax93. Also rare on here to see a post where "have" is used correctly instead place "of". Annis take note. This frees up "off" for it's correct use.

Thanks Del Boy - I'm available to edit any of the books he may be working on for a very large fee :D

Im not going to name names who does it, but I agree. It's so annoying, I read it and i'm like "it doesn't make sense!" :evil:

:lol:

Halifax, I agree with your points about the stadium.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:43 am

Mafor wrote:We couldnt develop Ninian into a 25000 seater--
No Room on Grandstand grange or canton without knocking peoples houses down#

We had to move --it was a dump --be grateful for what we have

Well back in the 70's the Grange went way back as did the Canton, maybe you remember?. The bob bank could have been re-developed as there was a reasonable amount of space. And a re-developed grandstand could have been built with a road running under it, I think Newcastle did this and re routed a new road to run around the stand. Down to planning permission I suppose. All irrelevant now.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:26 pm

Mafor wrote:We had to move --it was a dump --be grateful for what we have

It isn't April 1st yet boss. I can't see how you can defend that view. It wasn't a dump, and I am not grateful.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:14 pm

Wolves, Ipswich, Norwich, Newcastle (to name but a few) all redeveloped their grounds successfully
they now have stadiums good enough for the Prem and they've also kept their history and atmosphere
it could have been done at Ninian
Ninian became a dump because it was neglected by the club's owners over a long period of time
but it was a great football ground with a rich history

Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:33 pm

I loved Ninian Park as all my memories were there but we need to move on. The atmosphere is because the away supporters are right by the family stand I can not see why they did this totally mental.

Also the 2 sections where they is a noise is Annis and a few in the Ninian stand by the away end and the new grange end over the other end.

I have stood up and started a bit of noise with a few people around me have too but security came and had word with me as apparently someone had made a complaint they were not funny and felt a bit daft but they said if it continued they would have to warm me they or me didnt want that so I do get excited and join in but I am not going to risk being banned after paying a lot of money for my season ticket.

So the club are to blame in my view not the supporters in the ninian stand as if they did join in they may get kicked out or banned.

So the blame in my view is 100% with the club.

I went to ninian park as a kid I didnt know if I sang shouted or anything but I learned from all other supporters and that is what happend all new supporters will do the same too so they will see if they stand for to long or shout they may get thown out or banned.