Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Mcphail- your time is up

Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:22 pm

Sorry to be negative but Mcphail is dead wood and having watched him lately even more so.............

- Has not scored a goal since 2008/09 season only scored 3 since he joined us ( shocking from central mid)
- Can't header or tackle is generally very weak
- spent over 4 years in key central role trying to take city up, has failed
- Injured large parts of the season
- Been sent off in key games, Swansea, Reading over the years
- Never gets box to box and makes late runs etc
- Lacks Energy after 70 mins
- Sits back often and lets the game drift pass him, we need a leader in that position.

Yes he can pass........but 90% of the time simply lays it off to Naylor. We can't carry a player who simply plays one defence splitting pass once a month. Mcpail has been a good loyal player but his time at Cardiff city is up.

Re: Mcphail- your time is up

Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:24 pm

no

Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:24 pm

nooooooooooo

Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:25 pm

can you back it with reasons why then?

Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:44 pm

yes

Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:55 pm

????aahhhh not many reasons ha!

Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:59 pm

Is this a joke.
Mcphail is the only player who can open up a defence with a single pass.

Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:05 pm

bluebirdcal wrote:Is this a joke.

When does that happen?

Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:25 pm

CFS wrote: Has not scored a goal since 2008/09 season only scored 3 since he joined us ( shocking from central mid)

His game isnt goals

Can't header or tackle is generally very weak
Never gets box to box and makes late runs etc

May not be the best at it but he gets stuck in which is more than can be said for most of our midfield players.

spent over 4 years in key central role trying to take city up, has failed

Jay's been here 2.5 years and has failed to do that so should we sell him?

Injured large parts of the season

I'm sure he's so sorry to you that he got cancer :roll:

Been sent off in key games, Swansea, Reading over the years

Errr the Swansea games aside (and lets be fair he got sent off for kicking the ball away its a pathetic rule) the Reading game we still won and he got sent off while defending the lead better than him not getting stuck in.

Lacks Energy after 70 mins
- Sits back often and lets the game drift pass him, we need a leader in that position.

Outright lies, he may not have been the best recently but that's because he's been coming back from England.

Yes he can pass........but 90% of the time simply lays it off to Naylor. We can't carry a player who simply plays one defence splitting pass once a month. Mcpail has been a good loyal player but his time at Cardiff city is up.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 306397.stm

Watch the Bellamy interview and him rave about McPhail (It's at the start).

Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:43 pm

so i guess people forget who set chopra up for the goal against stoke away mcphail pin point cross to his head onto the post then slots it in!!!

Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:52 pm

McPhail is a great player, some people just dont get him because he doesnt run around like a headless chicken, he is more of an intelligent player

Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:02 pm

I think selling McPhail would be a mistake, he keeps his cool and is a very controlled player. Though even if his time was up at this club I wouldnt dismiss him so quickly as a useless player, he has been a brilliant player whilst at his time at the club and when his time comes to leave the club I hope it is done with dignity with a good send off wishing him all the best for the future.

Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:03 pm

I do think WIttingham has pushed ahead of him in the central position now but to have both of them in the squad is great....and it allows Witts to move wide if need be

Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:07 pm

- Has not scored a goal since 2008/09 season only scored 3 since he joined us ( shocking from central mid)

It would be nice to have had more goals from him but its not really his role, he creates goals.

He isnt a striker or a defender so its not really important for him to be able to head a ball. I disagree that he cant tackle.

So have many others.

So's Bothroyd, lets get rid of him too.

Which he's learned from and not been sent off in a long while

Again not his role. especially the box to box bit. He needs to stay fairly central for him to have an impact.

No more than any other player

I disagree, i don't think he 'sits back' at all, he's got an excellent work rate as far as i'm concerned.

He offers control in midfield, hardly ever loses possession and has a fantastic pass. He's exactly the sort of player we need in that midfield, in fact if anything it's Olofinjana whos time is up because he looks a shadow of the player he did when he first joined.

Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:20 pm

bluebirdcal wrote:Is this a joke.

That pass for Chopra to score against Leeds was absolutely awesome what was it 60 yards pinpoint, hang on wastn't that Whittingham. ;)

IMO Steve McPhail biggest asset now is that he can slow a game down take the heat out of situations, great ability to set the tempo and still an important member of the squad. But maybe not a regular starter now :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:28 pm

CFS wrote:Sorry to be negative but Mcphail is dead wood and having watched him lately even more so.............

If you were at the game yesterday you would have seen that the creativity completed disappeared from Midfield once he went off. I agree his goal return is poor but he is a decent ball player which we lack at the moment at CM without him. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:52 pm

mcphail is quality!
he's such a good player, very creative and he is massive to our team in gaining promotion.
his link up play with chops is second to none. he can get the ball down and play which not many other players can do. :ayatollah:

Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:26 pm

completly agree mate :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:11 pm

Mcphail for me is the most important player in our team
hes the only person in the middle that can create chances and bloody pass a ball
he can tackle
yess i would like to see him have a crack more but
theres other players for that
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:31 pm

I know mcphail had cancer but just before that Mcphail was being totally slagged off by supporters as he didnt do much.

But I have to agree he was a good playmaker but is to weak and gives silly freekicks and penaltys away as he is poor at tackling he is ok as a squad player but not first team in my view

Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:33 pm

IsThatUJohnWayne wrote:no

Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:44 pm

Fully agree his time is up because of the following

1 No pace and one paced= very slow. Consistent jog is all he has in him.
2 Cant tackle,head,shoot 3 things required for a central midfielder
3 Way too one footed will have to turn 360 degrees instead of playing pass with right foot.
4 Slows game down way too much when we should be attacking at a high tempo.

Anyone else can add to the list.

League 1 at best.Should never have been given a new contract by DJ

Thats my opinion.
:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:52 pm

CFS wrote:Sorry to be negative but Mcphail is dead wood and having watched him lately even more so.............

He was out large amouts of last season cause of cancer a pretty good reason tbh

Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:57 pm

i really believe that if we were to get promoted,steve mcphail would shine in the premier league, his vision and passing with a little extra time on the ball would stand out..... :ayatollah:

Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:00 pm

valleyrambill wrote:I know mcphail had cancer but just before that Mcphail was being totally slagged off by supporters as he didnt do much.

But I have to agree he was a good playmaker but is to weak and gives silly freekicks and penaltys away as he is poor at tackling he is ok as a squad player but not first team in my view

Good point who gave away the pointless free kick from which Charlie Adam equalised during the play-off final? Yes Steve f**king McPhail.

I would also point out that whenever he reappears in our starting line up after injury (for the last 2 years its been right at the end of the season during the business period), the wheels fall off our wagon. He is crap, a liability and far too many people still judge him on the bullshit put out by Ridsdale who loved him for being ex-Leeds.

Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:35 pm

great passer, sometimes looks fantastic controls game, but rarely wins second ball and when not playing well adds little to team, hit and miss but great option.

Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:50 pm

Tell me how many goals he's made? Goalscoring isn't what he does.
What? Are you blind...? I don't even need to discuss this one
Lets get Whittingham out then...
Think before you post, it actually hurt me to read this! He had f*cking cancer!
Atleast he got stuck in when every other fucker stood back.
It makes no odds, with a pass like his, he can ply his trade from anywhere on the pitch.
No, no, no... No, he doesnt.
Nope. His workrate is better than most so called cardiff legends.

What a great player McPhail is, and he has utmost respect for our fans even after all the years he put up with abuse from people like you! I used to be the huge minority who thought he was class, now you're a huge minority. Focus on the game next time.

Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:52 pm

McPhail is a great passer. If I was marking him I'd force him on to his right foot
all the time, harry him, niggle him, hit him hard every chance i get and watch him
disappear from the game.

oh hang on, thats what every team we play does, except Stoke reserves last night

Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:37 pm

Brilliant footballer.
McPhail stays.

over.

Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:39 pm

Sorry I don't agree with you at all. Mcphail is quality, just needs players around him to give him that protection.