Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

An Interesting Interview with Alan Pardew

Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:42 pm

I watched an interview on Skyports News today with Alan Pardew I watched it because I was intersted to see if he mentioned their position of Jay Bothroyd, he didn't but he did have some interesting points on what he think are the most important issues to him on signing players. Here is a link to the interview;

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 62,00.html

In partricular I was taken with his views on the importance of securing the future of the clubs existing players who are doing well at the club.

Pardew insists keeping his squad together is more important than adding to it, but he plans to strengthen where and when he feels necessary.

The most important people at the club are the players we have and who are doing well, the Andy Carrolls, [Cheik] Tiotes and Steven Taylors of this world, he said.

We need to make sure they stay part of the fabric of this club and we build on those with the good senior players, the Kevin Nolans, the Joey Bartons and [Steve] Harpers that we have around them.

"We have a nice balance at the moment and it's important we keep that nucleus and build on it.

"My main job so far has been to secure the nucleus rather than to build on it.

"The difficulty is that because we are a team that's not in the Champions League, we are vulnerable to Champions League teams who can pay salaries that are very difficult for us.

"It's difficult to explain to fans how to fend these clubs off, and we have managed to do that in Joey's case.

"He has 18 months to run which leaves him vulnerable, and other clubs are aware of that and they are testing our resolve.

"We hope Joey commits to us because he has been superb for me, not just as a player but within the group, and I want to secure him for a longer period, and we are going to try and

This flies in the face of the position our own manager took during the summer where he thought it more important to get NEW players in rather than secure the NUCLEAS of our squad. As a result we are in a position where position where probably our most influential player, Jay Bothroyd, over the last 2 seasons is free to walk away from the club in the summer. It has also resulted in Newcastle Utd TESTING the resolve of our club to keep the player.

Given two different stances taken by DJ & AP on player contracts, one thinks protect what you have and build on it and the other thinks get new players in and then worry about your existing players, which one do you think is best for their respective clubs? :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: An Interesting Interview with Alan Pardew

Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:47 pm

I'd rather have DJ than Alan Pardew I'm affraid

Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:58 pm

Bluebird99 wrote:I'd rather have DJ than Alan Pardew I'm affraid

That's not the question I've asked though is it which is the better way to protect the interests of your club. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:07 pm

Hmmmm, If we replace Jay with someone even better then I'd trust The current way. Surely it's not DJs decision when to offer contracts, thats the chairman and finance director. In regards to Jay, it would have been PR and Alan Flitcroft

Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:24 am

Bluebird99 wrote:Hmmmm, If we replace Jay with someone even better then I'd trust The current way. Surely it's not DJs decision when to offer contracts, thats the chairman and finance director. In regards to Jay, it would have been PR and Alan Flitcroft

Yes it is DJ job to decide when to offer players contracts and it became his job when he told TG that he could deal with these issues and didn't require any assistance. Either way it has to be the managers decision on who he wants as part of his squad and fundemental to that is to be aware of when contracts of your current players expire.

AP says in his interview on how important it is to him to get Joey Barton resigned whilst he has 18 months left on his contract so he is effectively saying he wants this guy on his squad beyond the next 2 years. This summer our manager decided it was more important to sign loan players who would be with the club for a maximum of 1 season than tie up existing players who would be free to leave the club at the end of the season.

This left the club in a weak position as at the end of the season we automatically lose almost half of the existing 1st team squad and who amongst the faithful would not consider Jay Bothroyd an important player for the future of the club, certainly the next 2 - 3 years and that is what his new contract would have been.

IMO our manager failed in his responsibilities here and is why it is important that the owners bring in an experienced football man to deal with contract issues. Let DJ concentrate on his job as team manager and that alone. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: