Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

GOOD LUCK IRVINE, YOU WILL NEED IT!!!!!!

Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:03 pm

SHEFFIELD Wednesday fan group leader David Coupe has urged supporters to rally behind new manager Alan Irvine in his attempts to halt their downward spiral.
The Scotsman became the Owls' 11th manager in 15 years having agreed a three-and-a-half-year deal at Hills-borough on Friday.

The clock is ticking for Wednesday, who are sec-ond from bot-tom in the Champion-ship, and Irvine wants his squad to win half of their remaining fixtures to guarantee safety.

Coupe, a Wednes-day season-ticket-holder for 55 years, said he had hoped the club would attract a "high profile" manager.

But the 63-year-old believes the supporters will give Irvine a chance to showcase his managerial pedigree.

Coupe, chairman of the Shareholders Association, told The Star: "When they announ-ced it was Alan Irvine, like a lot of Wednesdayites, I was a little disappointed because I thought we might be getting a manager who could put bums on seats.

"With the investment coming in, we thought that we might attract a high-profile manager.

"Having said that, Alan was very highly regarded at Preston and was unlucky to get the sack there. He is an honest man and nobody seems to have a bad word to say about him.

"We will give Alan a chance. People will look at his track record and see this guy has got some potential as a coach.

"We are the laughing stock of the league at the moment and that has got to change. People are walking away from the club and the support is dropping off."

Coupe, a season-ticket-holder in the North Stand, reckons Irvine was chairman Lee Strafford's first choice, despite claims from Darren Ferguson he had been offered the post.

He added: "The only thing I ever want for Sheffield Wednesday is success, how ever it comes."

Coupe also revealed he would have turned his back on the club had the Wednesday board appointed ex-Sheffield United boss Neil Warnock as Brian Laws' successor.

He said: "I said if they appointed Neil I would never go again. That would have been it for me. I could have never stomached Neil and thousands would have done the same!" EXACTLEY" ;)