Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

URGENT HELP - Boiler help

Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:44 am

Hi Guys

A mate of mine his misses and 4 kids have been without central heating since friday night!

rang the council and they came out saturday, stayed 10mins and said it needed a part and went

they rang today to see whats going on and they said "refuse to come and and fix the boiler as they need to go on the roof and they are not risking it in this weather"

Now they've been in thier home with -3 conditions outside since friday, no heat no nothing! so saturday i paid for some electric hired heaters for them, but its eating up £15 a day in electric and the house is still cold, with them all in the living room huddling around for warmth

any adive? surley they can't just leave a family in the freezing cold???

Re: URGENT HELP - Boiler help

Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:52 am

Tell em to ring their councillor and play f**k..

Dont understand why they gotta go on the roof though..

Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:03 am

dai wrote:Hi Guys

A mate of mine his misses and 4 kids have been without central heating since friday night!

rang the council and they came out saturday, stayed 10mins and said it needed a part and went

they rang today to see whats going on and they said "refuse to come and and fix the boiler as they need to go on the roof and they are not risking it in this weather"

Now they've been in thier home with -3 conditions outside since friday, no heat no nothing! so saturday i paid for some electric hired heaters for them, but its eating up £15 a day in electric and the house is still cold, with them all in the living room huddling around for warmth

Name and shame the relevant authority on here - that might speed things up. Given how much they seem to come on here for their stories, it'll probably make the Echo and evening news....

Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:08 am

Say's it all, its NEPWORT council

The reason i helped with heaters is one of the children has just recovered from a long stay in hospital due to cancer, had tumours removed etc, its been about 9 months since then but he still has to go to hospital for check ups and tests etc

i think its apalling!!

Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:10 am

Now post the messageboard link/s to some council officials and councillors! That should push things along.

Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:11 am

where would i do that??

when i went down friday nite they were all huddled in the living room with 5 duvet covers trying to keep warm :cry:

Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:21 am

dai wrote:Say's it all, its NEPWORT council

The reason i helped with heaters is one of the children has just recovered from a long stay in hospital due to cancer, had tumours removed etc, its been about 9 months since then but he still has to go to hospital for check ups and tests etc

i think its apalling!!

It's Newport City Homes you need not the council. They have numerous local offices around so I would go the nearest and explain how important it is for the boiler to be fixed.

Providing there is no other means of heating they must treat it as an emergency and fix it today. If not put in an official complaint against the person you spoke to.

That normally does the trick.

Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:22 am

dai wrote:where would i do that??

when i went down friday nite they were all huddled in the living room with 5 duvet covers trying to keep warm :cry:

Councillor responsible for housing - Richard White
richard.white@newport.gov.uk
Telephone: 01633 680116

ALSO find WARD councillor and contact them.

Managing Director of Newport Council – Tracey Lee
Email: tracey.lee@newport.gov.uk
Telephone: 01633 232204

Corporate Director: Care and Customers – Stewart Greenwell
Email: stewart.greenwell@newport.gov.uk

Environmental health
Email: env.health@newport.gov.uk

Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:57 am

nice one fella, most appreicted

Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:20 pm

dai wrote:Hi Guys

get onto the Argus and Echo, as soon as they ring the council for aquote the boiler men will turn up!!

Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:17 pm

If they won't fix it, tell them the only alternative is for them to be put up in a hotel, at the council's expense, since the house is inhabitable?

Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:31 pm

SteW wrote:If they won't fix it, tell them the only alternative is for them to be put up in a hotel, at the council's expense, since the house is inhabitable?

That's what I was going to say. Can hardly blame them for not climbing on to a roof with weather conditions like this tbf.

Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:36 pm

Sorry but they can use a roof ladder safely if they wanted to. They can suggest they get a private firm out and bill the council.
f*cking H&S its a pain on society and it puts more people in danger half the time than helps anyone. :twisted: :evil:

Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:35 pm

Im an apprentise gas fitter, why they are going on roof baffles me unless it is a back boiler but still if it was a back boiler why go on roof, Is it bron afon counsil by any chance thats who i work for. Get on the phone straight away

Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:39 pm

Just told my old man who is a gas fitter also we both have never heared of going on roof for a boiler get on to them :lol:.

Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:01 pm

a little news

they still procalim they need to get on the roof, somthing about a leak and seal ???

they go onto a counciler who to be fair has been great, had the council come back out within 3 hours, put all heaters in most rooms, and we give them free electric tokens to run them on!!

all that after threatening people with the press and tv etc

thanks for all your help guys, most appreciated!!!! :ayatollah: