Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Completely O/T Tropical Fish !!

Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:31 pm

For some bizzare reason my son wants fish for Christmas...... I know I'll be looking after 'em by New Years day Latest !!

Been to Leekes today and was completely baffled :? :?

Question.......are they a pain to look after...ie cleaning the tank ..filters , heaters etc etc...

Any help / advice Greatly appreciated :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: Completely O/T Tropical Fish !!

Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:33 pm

333333.get him a golfish just add water and done.........................

Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:35 pm

bluebirdbaz wrote:333333.get him a golfish just add water and done.........................

:lol: :lol:

Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:41 pm

s8wrd wrote:For some bizzare reason my son wants fish for Christmas...... I know I'll be looking after 'em by New Years day Latest !!

Question.......are they a pain to look after...ie cleaning the tank ..filters , heaters etc etc...

A lot of work yes.

I gave up on tropical fish and now have painted turtles and half a dozen goldfish.
You can get a huge variety of goldfish and they live through anything lol

Now I just have the water at about 22 degrees, the filter keeps the water clean (i change
it once a fortnight)... The goldfish are now too big for the turtle to eat. At first he was
like a lunatic trying to get them :lol: :lol: .. he got two!! Plus when kids come here they
can have a butchers at the turtle when it wanders round the flat out of the water.

Aske them if they want a few terrapins mate ;) they just eat eat and eat, no dramas

Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:35 pm

s8wrd wrote:For some bizzare reason my son wants fish for Christmas...... I know I'll be looking after 'em by New Years day Latest !!

Email Ridsdale...

Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:36 pm

as taffyapple says,a lot of hard work,can be expensive but a good hobby.get first hand info from people in the know.i once had tropical fish,built up a good aquarium,introduced a type of octopus.............the gutsy tw*t ate the lot.....,gutted at the time due to my inexperiance, but ended up with the fattest obese octo in the valleys .lol :D :D :D

Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:51 pm

cant see where the expence comes from, other than the initial set up,
easy to keep low maintenance, i do a third water swap every two weeks (easy with a syphon pump) then give the filter a clean out the day after a water change (just swill it under the cold tap so as not to kill the live bacteria, and unclog the holes)
they get get fed each morning before i go to work
i have a plecostumus (sucker fish) that cleans the algi off the inside of the tank so no cleaning (you get more algi if you have direct sunlight on the tank.
i started with 14 fish (3 guppies 1xm 2xf, 5 neons, 5 ruddy eyes, and the pleccy) got loads now the guppys are breeding like mad, having a new fry every week, so they must be happy.
so my advice, go with small fish, and get a pleccy, bit of log and some plant. bobs your aunty. :ayatollah:

Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

s8wrd wrote:For some bizzare reason my son wants fish for Christmas......

Look Butt, just tell him he's having turkey like everyone else and like it! :ayatollah:

Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:56 pm

s8wrd wrote:For some bizzare reason my son wants fish for Christmas...... Any help / advice Greatly appreciated :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Hi mate, i’ve got a Pet Shop in Aberdare which my daughter manages for me. 2 common mistakes when starting a tank is to put too many fish in before the Nitrogen Cycle stabilises, see the following :-
http://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm
Also don’t overfeed, it’s difficult to curb the enthusiasm of kids with the 2 above potential fish killers.
If you’re still serious about an aquarium, get a realistic quote and I’ll get my daughter to beat that quote, i can’t be fairer than that. My sister and niece also work in the shop, they can give you all the advice you need and actually care for the welfare of your fish rather than trying to flog you something, which is rare in retail these days.

Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:03 pm

I hear the Thomas is pretty rare

Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:08 pm

e-mail the riddler he's big into fish koi i think :lol:

Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:13 am

i got 3 goldfish and they have all survived 3 weeks :lol: :lol:

Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:25 pm

I have one died last week :|

Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:40 pm

I kept tropical fish for 6 years and didnt find them difficult to care for.

As long as you do your research and get the heating, filtration and ph level correct you should be fine.
Also it would be helpful if your decide from start what type of fish you would like to keep as not all are compatible,
i like cichlids but they dont mix well with other tropical fish.

As long as you do this all is left is feeding and the water changes (not full tank required).