Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" LETS NOT ALL GET CARRIED AWAY "

Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:04 pm

We have been there so many times before with Dave Jones, We have led the table, had some brilliant runs, played some superb football in the past, yet when it really matters we have failed at the final hurdle, I know I will get criticised Big Time for stating this, but for 5 years we have all believed this is our Season and please before you comment look back at those 5 years.
I do think we will be there or there about on Our 6th year of trying as this Division, is at its Weakest ever and Our First 11 are the best out there in my opinion, But please REMIND YOURSELVES about the last 5 years and Don't get carried away by thinking we will Definately go up.

On the other hand, If Bells plays at least 25 games for us this Season, then DJ should Quit football if We Fail.
The Major plus side for me, was seeing City come back from 2 nil down v Bristol City and not only beat them, but should of hammered them, That to me shows DJ has finally got a team together that hopefully will REALLY BATTLE NO MATTER WHAT, In the past, We have failed in that Dept.
Also a Sign of a Good team is when you Win after playing Badly, Hull and Millwall were games We Won playing Badly.

Honest Opinions Please about how we will Really do This Season. :ayatollah:

ONWARDS and UPWARDS :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: " LETS NOT ALL GET CARRIED AWAY "

Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:09 pm

when was the last time we came back to win from a 2 goal deficit?

Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:10 pm

BlueWey wrote:when was the last time we came back to win from a 2 goal deficit?

Interesting, Carl where are you ?

Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:12 pm

Still think by not addressing the centre back issue it may well come back and bite us on the backside, the fact dj tried to sign loovens hopefully he realises this but relying on riggott is to much of a gamble.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:15 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Have we under DJ ?

Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:20 pm

I think we will win the league. If we look like we're choking come Christmas he will buy big in January. So in my mind it's a done deal.

If he doesn't get us up with the players he has, of course he will get the boot. There's no two ways about that one.

But he won't, it'll be first or second and probably first.

The other thing you've got to consider is much of the predicted chasing pack (Leicester, Forest, Boro) are having poor seasons for a multitude of different reasons, which helps us.

Also, now Bellers is on his proper training regime he'll be good for a goal a game, and goal scoring wasn't ever our problem anyway.

The one problem we are yet to overcome is our soft center. Yes, our two centerhalfs are the footballing equivalent of a quality street coffee cream. But as long as big Olifinjana stays fit, that too becomes less of an issue.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:21 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Have we under DJ ?

I was trying to think back leaving on Sat, I wondered if it was even league I!

Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:33 pm

hey Annis i was just wondering, i know your not a massive fan of DJ and i respect your oppinions, however if we do go up this season will you instantly become a fan of his or will it still take time or maybe never completely ? :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:33 pm

Rotherham under Lennie I think. Won 4 2 in the end I believe.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:36 pm

2007 against Carmathen in the FAW cup (if that counts) :lol:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 354815.stm

Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:37 pm

Saturday 10 January 2004. 2 nil down after 9 mins and won 3 2 with Thorne, Kav and Earnie scoring.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:39 pm

i think we can do it but we need at least four players in soon as possible, we showed recently we have no cover for oli, we struggled without him its ok to think we have got plenty of midfield players but the ones we got dont cover him, also the obvous ones ie cover for jay [which will be needed soon as hes only one booking away from a ban], and a centre half who can talk the back four through the whole game.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:41 pm

evans above wrote:i think we can do it but we need at least four players in soon as possible, we showed recently we have no cover for oli, we struggled without him its ok to think we have got plenty of midfield players but the ones we got dont cover him, also the obvous ones ie cover for jay [which will be needed soon as hes only one booking away from a ban], and a centre half who can talk the back four through the whole game.

I doubt we can get or actually need 4 players. A centre back would be fine I think.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:45 pm

carpet20 wrote:hey Annis i was just wondering, i know your not a massive fan of DJ and i respect your oppinions, however if we do go up this season will you instantly become a fan of his or will it still take time or maybe never completely ? :ayatollah:

I will shake his Hand personally and Thank him for being the First ever manager in My time to take us up to the promised land and I believe he should then be given the season after then of course to see how we do. I wont become a fan of his, But Will Love him for finally taking us up :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:45 pm

The January window will be crucial.
WBA and Newcastle both added to their squad last season will we this term?

Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:47 pm

maccydee wrote:
evans above wrote:i think we can do it but we need at least four players in soon as possible, we showed recently we have no cover for oli, we struggled without him its ok to think we have got plenty of midfield players but the ones we got dont cover him, also the obvous ones ie cover for jay [which will be needed soon as hes only one booking away from a ban], and a centre half who can talk the back four through the whole game.

I doubt we can get or actually need 4 players. A centre back would be fine I think.

Neil, 4 players would cover injuries and Suspensions :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:49 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Neil, 4 players would cover injuries and Suspensions :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

We have cover now Annis. 4 more players and we would have even more unfit players. When we had injuries our problem wasn't the quality that came in. Rae and Mcphail took us to the play off final last year, it was the fact no reserve team means the guys weren't match fit. We now have 2 players of Championship standard for every position. 4 more would be over kill in my opinion.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:52 pm

Neil, I still feel we need more than 1 in Jan, but good points and especially about not playing regular Reserve games. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:53 pm

my opinion it depends on are away form. if we can start that rocking and rolling we will be right up der

also depends on defense sometimes ad rather stick my grandmother in der she prob could turn faster than gypes and hudson haha

Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:54 pm

4 players and more
1 goal keeper,2 centre back3 cover for centre midfield 4 cover for Jay 5 full back :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:57 pm

Forever Blue wrote:I will shake his Hand personally and Thank him for being the First ever manager in My time to take us up to the promised land and I believe he should then be given the season after then of course to see how we do. I wont become a fan of his, But Will Love him for finally taking us up :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

:D :D :D

Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:01 pm

stickywicket wrote:4 players and more
1 goal keeper,2 centre back3 cover for centre midfield 4 cover for Jay 5 full back :ayatollah:

In an ideal world yeah I agree but we don't have an ideal world in respect of money and have no reserve team. Who are we going to get who are better than what we have as cover at the mo.

We have 2 good Championship goalies, in a better place than most. 4 centre backs of championship quality, 4 full backs (5 if you count Blake), 4 or 5 centre midfielders and Keogh as back up for Jay. Our squad is better than it has ever been in my opinion. We lost 5 key players recently and still did ok.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:09 pm

I believe we will go up automatic (as champions if riggot is any good)

We have not had a bench in the last few years which we have now and with the real optimism we could add to the squad plus the fact its the weakest or most open the league has been for years its there for the taking

Seyo for Player of the year closely followed by chops jay & bellamy

:ayatollah:

Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:21 pm

I believe we will go up come the summer, We need back up for jay and a centre back that is of premiership standard. As for the other positions we are fine, On wards and upwards!!

When we go up We owe our malaysian friends a bigger thankyou than we do already :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:25 pm

maccydee wrote:Rotherham under Lennie I think. Won 4 2 in the end I believe.

i think we won 3-2, paul parrys debut 2004 :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:30 pm

I know exactly what u mean annis, I think the only difference this year is our attacking options, with chops, bothroyd, Burke, bellers etc. There is strength in depth which be honest we have never had before. Last year if chops was injured we'd have euthu or fenney, but now we have Bellamy or Keogh, or even change formation to suit us. The same in midfield a few injuries and we were looking towards wildig (even tho I'll think he will be a cracker in a few years). Overall we are much stronger and more experienced, and hopefully there will be no bad news around the corner like there used to be in the riddler days, which to be honest used to leave the place feeling, gloomy and we all used to say same old city, the malaysians are different to that snake and will lead us to the promised land. On wards and UPWARDS I say!!

Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:45 pm

thing is with our fans they go from one extreme to the next, a few bad results and we are terrible then a few good results and we are unbeatable.

I think we have always had a squad capable of pushing into the play/offs or around that area and DJ has got to around that area.

Now we have a squad capable of top two when everyone is fit and the pressure is really on although in saying that without Bellamy IMO the squad is that of a play/off squad pushing for top two.

Im certainly not taking it for granted though, nothing is ever that easy at CCFC :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:49 pm

I don't think it is fair to suggest that in all those 5 seasons we thought we would go up. In the first season DJ had to scrape the barrel just to get a side together after a summer fire sale. In all the seasons he was hampered by a lack of funds, none more so than last January. It was arguably the season ticket debacle in January that cost us last year. Let's not forget an FA Cup Final with a very limited squad. I believe that it is only the last 2 seasons that can be fairly criticised - and there are mitigating factors (lack of funds) in both seasons. I think DJ has been incredibly loyal and taken flak for others in the boadroom.
Bosco :ayatollah:

Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:57 pm

Bosco Blue wrote:I don't think it is fair to suggest that in all those 5 seasons we thought we would go up. In the first season DJ had to scrape the barrel just to get a side together after a summer fire sale. In all the seasons he was hampered by a lack of funds, none more so than last January. It was arguably the season ticket debacle in January that cost us last year. Let's not forget an FA Cup Final with a very limited squad. I believe that it is only the last 2 seasons that can be fairly criticised - and there are mitigating factors (lack of funds) in both seasons. I think DJ has been incredibly loyal and taken flak for others in the boadroom.
Bosco :ayatollah:

Bosco, £750,000 Wages a Season Loyal, plus Shares and Cars etc as a Bonus. The Season Sam left we were 6pts clear at the Top in Oct, DJ then went on to win I| think" no more than 6 games all season.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:25 pm

I think the January window is always a killer for us, going as far back as when Sunderland won the league a few years back - and look at them now.

We have a team capable of winning the league, we will NEED to add in January to get us over the finishing line though.