Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

"Sacking" managers

Mon May 06, 2024 8:04 am

Just read through some of the DJ comments and it made me wonder about football management sackings.

I know a fair bit about everyday employment law and without just cause how do clubs manage it? The question I am asking is are they removed from their day job and placed on "Gardening leave" until the end of their contracted date?
I would imagine part of the standard contract is you can not have other roles or outside interests without the express consent of the club, so the media may be OK as long as you do not bring the club into disrepute, but another football club will result in termination.

I was wondering why Potter has been out of the game so long as he will undoubtedly be sought after, same on a smaller scale with Cooper.

Perhaps this is obvious and I have never considered it, but when we "mutually agree" with a player we reach a settlement agreement, I just assumed it was the same for managers but maybe it's not.

Anyone more familiar with the process?

Re: "Sacking" managers

Mon May 06, 2024 10:37 am

I'm not familiar with the process but I have had a bad experience with it.

I was dismissed from a contract with immediate effect when my contract said each side had to give 4 weeks noticed. I look at legal advice through my Hone Content insurance. I was told I had less than 51% of winning which I struggled to believe. I had to accept my fate.

I just feel the law is heavily in favour of the company and not the individual,

Mon May 06, 2024 4:11 pm

llan bluebird wrote:Just read through some of the DJ comments and it made me wonder about football management sackings.

I know a fair bit about everyday employment law and without just cause how do clubs manage it? The question I am asking is are they removed from their day job and placed on "Gardening leave" until the end of their contracted date?
I would imagine part of the standard contract is you can not have other roles or outside interests without the express consent of the club, so the media may be OK as long as you do not bring the club into disrepute, but another football club will result in termination.

I was wondering why Potter has been out of the game so long as he will undoubtedly be sought after, same on a smaller scale with Cooper.

Perhaps this is obvious and I have never considered it, but when we "mutually agree" with a player we reach a settlement agreement, I just assumed it was the same for managers but maybe it's not.

I remember as soon as Dave Jones took the Sheffield Wednesday job cardiff stopped payments

Mon May 06, 2024 4:25 pm

wez1927 wrote:
llan bluebird wrote:Just read through some of the DJ comments and it made me wonder about football management sackings.

I remember as soon as Dave Jones took the Sheffield Wednesday job cardiff stopped payments

Yes Wez; that was their out and is usually the case in such circumstances... :ayatollah:

Mon May 06, 2024 4:30 pm

Yeah Wez, that's the thing that triggered my thought. Do clubs really "sack" them, I am not so sure now.

In the real world if you are sacked for Gross misconduct you didn't even get PILON.

If your face no longer fits and the company wants you gone, you reach a no-compromise agreement and settle (most time your redundancy policy). I know we do that with some players and they are free to sign for another club because effectively we have torn up the contract.
I assumed we did that with managers but on reflection, we probably don't.

So is that why Potter is sitting pretty at the moment, on a purely financial point, no club he is going to go to (unless its Man U) will pay him what he is on with Chelsea and the same with Cooper. I can't see many Premier League teams coming in for him, so I guess he paid by Forest until his contract ends in 2025?

Mon May 06, 2024 5:21 pm

llan bluebird wrote:Yeah Wez, that's the thing that triggered my thought. Do clubs really "sack" them, I am not so sure now.

In the real world if you are sacked for Gross misconduct you didn't even get PILON.

If your face no longer fits and the company wants you gone, you reach a no-compromise agreement and settle (most time your redundancy policy). I know we do that with some players and they are free to sign for another club because effectively we have torn up the contract.
I assumed we did that with managers but on reflection, we probably don't.

So is that why Potter is sitting pretty at the moment, on a purely financial point, no club he is going to go to (unless its Man U) will pay him what he is on with Chelsea and the same with Cooper. I can't see many Premier League teams coming in for him, so I guess he paid by Forest until his contract ends in 2025?

Could be on potter and cooper but sometimes they do just accept a cash settlement

Mon May 06, 2024 5:42 pm

I think it's pure negotiation. The outgoing manager goes high and the sacking club agree but will stop payments if they join another club.

They occasionally may not want managers joining a club for a specific reason just in case they take key players/staff with them but in terms of employment law, they can't do that, so this is a way around it. I've been through it when leaving big tech firms and they sometimes try to stop you joining a competitor, which they can't.