Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ That was a strange game “

Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:44 pm

A bit later than usual for my post, as I was one of the minority that stayed behind for the lap of honour.

Thought that was a strange game.

It could have gone either way, but they took their chances and we didn’t.

Goutas hit the post and Ashford missed the rebound at the start of the second half, if that goes in then it’s a different story.

But it is what it is, just glad there was nothing riding on this game.

I’ll be at Rotherham next week to see the season out :bluebird:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: “ That was a strange game “

Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:56 pm

Said on another thread... We had a higher xG. Should've won really.

Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:10 pm

Missed opportunities cost us again not a lot wrong with performance overall obviously defending very poor but sums up season .

Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:14 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Missed opportunities cost us again not a lot wrong with performance overall obviously defending very poor but sums up season .

Agree.

People are making out it was a bad performance but it wasn’t, just didn’t take our chances.

Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:21 pm

Jesus, I know we have picked sides and must back that stance but that was poor.

The game is about scoring more goals than the opposition. Yes 2 evenly matched teams but perhaps their manager isn't scared of throwing players forward when it matters?

Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:24 pm

llan bluebird wrote:Jesus, I know we have picked sides and must back that stance but that was poor.

The game is about scoring more goals than the opposition. Yes 2 evenly matched teams but perhaps their manager isn't scared of throwing players forward when it matters?

We played well but the difference is they took their chances.

Like I said, it Goutas/Ashford score that chance then it’s a different story.

Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:29 pm

1 v 4 scoreline suggests we were awful we weren't. We are the very definition of inconsistency this year. We had a huge slice of luck last week although we did battle well. Today we didn't. Middlesbrough have been in excellent form. Today was a healthy reminder that our youngsters are promising but way off being regulars yet and top half Championship players. We are now guaranteed a top half finish above the Jacks. I think most of us would have taken that as the season started. Big progress from last year. All we need now is some proper investment over the summer.

Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:32 pm

EastleighBlue wrote:1 v 4 scoreline suggests we were awful we weren't. We are the very definition of inconsistency this year. We had a huge slice of luck last week although we did battle well. Today we didn't. Middlesbrough have been in excellent form. Today was a healthy reminder that our youngsters are promising but way off being regulars yet and top half Championship players. We are now guaranteed a top half finish above the Jacks. I think most of us would have taken that as the season started. Big progress from last year. All we need now is some proper investment over the summer.

Spot on.

Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:36 pm

After last weeks hope we take 2 steps back.

Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:39 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:After last weeks hope we take 2 steps back.

No, because we played quite well.

It’s just the same old story of not taking our chances.

Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:43 pm

:lol: :lol: But only if we defended better and took our chances we'd have won that.......Half the fans travelling home this evening ;)

Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:45 pm

In my best Kevin the teenager voice "its just so bloody boring!!!"

It should be fun, not a chore

Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:50 pm

llan bluebird wrote::lol: :lol: But only if we defended better and took our chances we'd have won that.......Half the fans travelling home this evening ;)

Hmm.

Funny how you think Bulut should go and you also thought it was a bad performance today….

Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:54 pm

Ok, What did we do well today?

Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:00 pm

We didnt take any chances they did, was about it today. We put some good balls into the box but no one their again, youngsters did fine when they came on.

Thought we coped well with them most of the game, but then for their goals it was like ppl switched off and made it simple. Like someone else said it was a strange game

Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:04 pm

No re did not play well. Defending poor , no clear cut chances by us, until extra time. You don’t lose 1-4 at home and say we played well. I don’t understand why Giles and conte did not play or Colwill brother did not play.

Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:05 pm

I thought Ashford played the second full back role well, he was marking Ayling most of the game instead of the other way around. As soon as we play against wingbacks or they push their full backs high we struggle as we are so narrow and SAFE.....

Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:09 pm

Llan Bluebird

Correct you are.

Bulut has to change the shape of the team but I don't think he will- he hasn't all season and today is the type of car crash result that can happen when you're too narrow in midfield, no width out wide and no mobile striker.

The goals we conceded were pretty weak defensively and that's being kind!

I'm sick of the 5h1tshow for most home matches - it's terrible to watch, totally lacking in excitement. We just gift 3 points to away teams too regularly because they know we're predictable in our set-up.

Is Bulut the man to continue with City? Yes, the table puts us in a healthy position but look under the bonnet and some of the key mechanics are not working. We have lost 21 matches which is considerable.
Last edited by Tuna Pasta Bake on Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:11 pm

At times we played some pretty decent football. It was the 20 minutes at and after the break that absolutely ravged us. Go three down when they hit us on the break while we are having to push forward, and their 4th is a worldy.

Nobody played particularly bad, but nobody shone. We were very pedestrian hoping Boro would be he same. A good passage of play was followed by a shoddy passage of play.

What did annoy me though was Boro taking the mick playing little 5 yard passes on their own six yards box allowing us our goal. If I was Carrick I'd be fuming. Yes won, but that was so unprofessional. You play to your own strengths, and not simply to have a laugh at the oer teams expense.

Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:15 pm

The sad thing was the teams were pretty evenly matched first half and kind of going through the motions.

I honestly didn't anticipate that 2nd half result based on the first half performance.

Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:18 pm

Grandstand wrote:No re did not play well. Defending poor , no clear cut chances by us, until extra time. You don’t lose 1-4 at home and say we played well. I don’t understand why Giles and conte did not play or Colwill brother did not play.

So the header against post wasn't a simple chance or the other miss when 2 down? We did play fairly well just poor defending not for 2st time this season

Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:19 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Grandstand wrote:No re did not play well. Defending poor , no clear cut chances by us, until extra time. You don’t lose 1-4 at home and say we played well. I don’t understand why Giles and conte did not play or Colwill brother did not play.

So the header against post wasn't a simple chance or the other miss when 2 down? We did play fairly well just poor defending not for 2st time this season

Al, We'll just turn off the scoreboard next season and not keep score, then we can all go home happy

Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:33 pm

llan bluebird wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Al, We'll just turn off the scoreboard next season and not keep score, then we can all go home happy

Good idea but then will ask what's the scoreis ? Matched them most of game
Wasn't a 4-1 game they took
what chances they had we didn't ! After 3rd goal was easy for them as chased game... Will say they and keeper looked dodgy all game higher press from us and sure they would have had problems.

Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:40 pm

Pembroke Allan

You just said it in a nutshell. It's all ifs and buts.

If we pressed Boro we could've exposed their defensive frailties but that's just it, we do not press!

We're the home team, we have to press and close down the opposition but their defenders had all the time in the world to pass the ball between themselves.

Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:47 pm

No clear cut chances?

I know you’re another one with an agenda against Bulut, but saying that is just completely wrong.

Goutas hit the post with a simple header (should have scored). It fell to Ashford and he missed the empty net.

We created chances in the first half that weren’t taken. We had chances at 2-0 down.

Criticise the tactics and team selection if you don’t agree with it (I disagree) but saying we didn’t create clear cut chances in just not true.

Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:54 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:

No clear cut chances?

I know you’re another one with an agenda against Bulut, but saying that is just completely wrong.

Goutas hit the post with a simple header (should have scored). It fell to Ashford and he missed the empty net.

We created chances in the first half that weren’t taken. We had chances at 2-0 down.

Criticise the tactics and team selection if you don’t agree with it (I disagree) but saying we didn’t create clear cut chances in just not true.

https://www.skysports.com/football/vide ... highlights

Turnbulls early lob and the goal in the 2 mins

Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:04 pm

llan bluebird wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:

No clear cut chances?

https://www.skysports.com/football/vide ... highlights

Turnbulls early lob and the goal in the 2 mins

In a two minute highlight package? :lol:

I’ll instead continue to rely on the evidence of my own eyes, and the fact we did create clear cut chances.

Anyone who says otherwise are doing so just as another way to push their agenda against Bulut.

Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:05 pm

My tuppence worth ...
Not too surprising we conceded easily when we had Romeo (who does EVERYTHING at snail's pace) and Tanner as full backs.
Diedhiou is the worst of our strikers (and they're all pretty dire). His instinct was just to play the ball back and he rarely tried to get into the box or run at the defenders (unlike the Boro lad up front).
Midfield were competitive but we have no one with attacking skills. It's all passing. Pity Rubin was injured but Bulut passed up on the opportunity to start with Joel and Giles.
When is he going to learn to be less fkn conservative?
We played ok but the lack of cutting edge is clear to see. This MUST be rectified over the summer, whoever is manager.
Yes the score was 1-4 but the performance wasn't that bad given our injury crisis. At 44 minutes I was thinking 0-0.
Football is a funny old game.

Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:07 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
EastleighBlue wrote:1 v 4 scoreline suggests we were awful we weren't. We are the very definition of inconsistency this year. We had a huge slice of luck last week although we did battle well. Today we didn't. Middlesbrough have been in excellent form. Today was a healthy reminder that our youngsters are promising but way off being regulars yet and top half Championship players. We are now guaranteed a top half finish above the Jacks. I think most of us would have taken that as the season started. Big progress from last year. All we need now is some proper investment over the summer.

Spot on.

Agree; we were caught out in the end trying to attack...

If only we had a striker...! ;) :ayatollah:

Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:25 pm

One strange thing about today’s game was the lady linesman giving us two decisions (corner and throw in)which were quite clearly wrong :occasion5: