Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Are the rumours to be believed?

Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:04 pm

I've heard it from a few people now, that the news of a potential take over in the summer is as a result of a number of bids submitted, with Sam being one of them.

Now in my mind, I don't see Tan walking away so easily with a court case happening, and even less so that someone is anywhere near the amount that Tan wants.

Would you be happy if Sam came back? If he did, is money a concern?

Does anyone know who the other bids are from, if any?

Re: Are the rumours to be believed?

Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:33 pm

One thing I can 100% guarantee is that Sam is not coming back.

Vincent Tan will not sell to him or any group that involves him.

I don’t like that one bit, but it’s the way it is.

Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:38 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:One thing I can 100% guarantee is that Sam is not coming back.

Vincent Tan will not sell to him or any group that involves him.

I don’t like that one bit, but it’s the way it is.

Your sadly 100% correct Sam has put in three bids the biggest so far, but Tan will not sell to him.

Sam is now worth a lot more than Tan and is a real football man , who is is obsessed with Cardiff City.

He wants to finish what he started, but Tan won’t let him return NO matter he offers.

There are a few more bids that’s all I can say.

Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:42 pm

I thought Tan said that he'd never sell to Sam or anyone where Sam may be involved in the background?

Perhaps he's changed his mind?

Not sure that I'd want Sam back. Loved his first few years at the club but the way it ended left a very bitter taste in my mouth.

To take the club forward will require massive investment not only to buyTan out but then to invest in the playing side of the club. Does Sam have that sort of money?

He didn't last time he was here and was clearly unwilling to invest huge amounts of his own money back then (hence Langston) so why would he do so this time?

What's changed? Some on here claim that Sam has changed, acknowledges that mistakes were made and now has somehow become wealthy enough to be able to pump large sums of money into the club.

Who knows the truth? I want Tan to go but I want to feel confident that whoever takes over has the resources and ability to take the club forward.

To me, and I accept others may feel differently, I'd rather that be somebody other than Sam.

Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:06 pm

In football only players can go back to a club and thats because its where they started their careers.... managers and owners definitely no as a fresh start is needed with no fan diversity required had plenty of that to last a lifetime

Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:08 pm

Surely I must be in the majority, but i just don't give a rat's arse who owns us.

Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:19 pm

davids wrote:I thought Tan said that he'd never sell to Sam or anyone where Sam may be involved in the background?

Not sure that I'd want Sam back. Loved his first few years at the club but the way it ended left a very bitter taste in my mouth.

To take the club forward will require massive investment not only to buyTan out but then to invest in the playing side of the club. Does Sam have that sort of money?

He didn't last time he was here and was clearly unwilling to invest huge amounts of his own money back then (hence Langston) so why would he do so this time?

What's changed? Some on here claim that Sam has changed, acknowledges that mistakes were made and now has somehow become wealthy enough to be able to pump large sums of money into the club.

Who knows the truth? I want Tan to go but I want to feel confident that whoever takes over has the resources and ability to take the club forward.

To me, and I accept others may feel differently, I'd rather that be somebody other than Sam.

Sam genuinely cares about the club even after all this time and sees our realistic potential. He's also learned from mistakes. He's got a clear and practical vision of how to take the club forward and achieve sustainable premier league success and to a sensible budget. If he was allowed to run the club, it would also be Tans best option of selling at a higher value and getting some of his money back. Everyone wins.

I speak with Sam frequently and I can tell you that he understands the club far more than Tan and the board. He's a genuine guy, very intelligent and astute and has the club's best interests at heart. Believe me on that as it is very important. He also knows football intimately, both the game and the business of football. Tan would be well advised to swallow his pride and work with him, it really is the best option for everyone.

If I take all sentiment out of it and was solely providing business consultancy to Tan about what to do with Cardiff, this would be my advice as to his best option and strategy.

Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:29 pm

I would love Sam back, he loves the club, something we have never had from ownership since he left. I would sacrifice big money pumped in by heartless anonymous owners turning us into a yo yo club. rather be a stable mid table championship team playing good attacking football with an owner and board who get the fan base ,who listens and care, academy, local community , more presence in the city and bay, Welshness and the City of Cardiff, Vale and Valleys. Welsh and local players , fan involvement, great comms, Sam did that. I miss it. It was a fun time to be city fan, and it’s gone.

Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:33 pm

GrangeEndStar wrote:
davids wrote:I thought Tan said that he'd never sell to Sam or anyone where Sam may be involved in the background?

Sam genuinely cares about the club even after all this time and sees our realistic potential. He's also learned from mistakes. He's got a clear and practical vision of how to take the club forward and achieve sustainable premier league success and to a sensible budget. If he was allowed to run the club, it would also be Tans best option of selling at a higher value and getting some of his money back. Everyone wins.

I speak with Sam frequently and I can tell you that he understands the club far more than Tan and the board. He's a genuine guy, very intelligent and astute and has the club's best interests at heart. Believe me on that as it is very important. He also knows football intimately, both the game and the business of football. Tan would be well advised to swallow his pride and work with him, it really is the best option for everyone.

If I take all sentiment out of it and was solely providing business consultancy to Tan about what to do with Cardiff, this would be my advice as to his best option and strategy.

100% spot on.

Up there with post of the season.

Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:48 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
GrangeEndStar wrote:

100% spot on.

I actually forgot to say something Ned that is also very important.

Not only does he know the club and it's fans better than the board, he actually cares. He really does. And it matters. As that attitude then resonates from the top down, to the staff, manager, players and most importantly, the fans. It's infectious and when it congruently comes from the top, it makes all the difference. We have never had this and even with new future owners at some stage, there is no guarantee of this vitally important factor. You can't buy it. It's just there or it isn't. Sam sees the potential, is realistic, genuinely cares, knows the modern game and modern business intimately and wants to finish what he started.

And Sam would work with Tan to make this happen, and just maybe, Tan might start enjoying it again too as he sees a realistic exit that delivers a win for all concerned.

It really is that simple. And can all be done in a simple pen stroke.

Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:05 pm

Tan gone and Sam back ticks the boxes as far as I am concerned.

Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:12 pm

GrangeEndStar wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
GrangeEndStar wrote:

100% spot on.

Not only does he know the club and it's fans better than the board, he actually cares. He really does. And it matters. As that attitude then resonates from the top down, to the staff, manager, players and most importantly, the fans. It's infectious and when it congruently comes from the top, it makes all the difference. We have never had this and even with new future owners at some stage, there is no guarantee of this vitally important factor. You can't buy it. It's just there or it isn't. Sam sees the potential, is realistic, genuinely cares, knows the modern game and modern business intimately and wants to finish what he started.

And Sam would work with Tan to make this happen, and just maybe, Tan might start enjoying it again too as he sees a realistic exit that delivers a win for all concerned.

You’re right.

Caring about the club, it’s potential, the fans, maximising opportunities…. Sam has all of that.

I’ve often had the thought that Tan and Sam together would actually be a good fit. Tan understands business and Sam has all the things you’ve said.

Sadly that will never happen and it disappoints me that Tan won’t sell to him.

It won’t happen soon but I do think that once we have new owners, Sam will be at the club in some capacity within ten years.

I was at Reading a few years ago with Annis and Sam - our fans showed Sam nothing but love.

That speaks volumes.

Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:26 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
GrangeEndStar wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
GrangeEndStar wrote:

100% spot on.

You’re right.

Caring about the club, it’s potential, the fans, maximising opportunities…. Sam has all of that.

I’ve often had the thought that Tan and Sam together would actually be a good fit. Tan understands business and Sam has all the things you’ve said.

It won’t happen soon but I do think that once we have new owners, Sam will be at the club in some capacity within ten years.

I was at Reading a few years ago with Annis and Sam - our fans showed Sam nothing but love.

That speaks volumes.

Ned, I was at that game and sat behind Sam's daughter. With a couple of notable exceptions, Sam was treated as if it were a home-coming... :ayatollah:

What Paul says in his posts above is absolutely smack on in all points. Paul knows Sam well enough now to know his character, his personality, his strength, desire, and the acumen he has to drive our club forward...

I am 100% on for a Sam return but it would take a huge and very courageous change of position from Vincent Tan; one I sadly don't see happening...

As for 'other' bids, we know approaches have been made but if any are anywhere near 'acceptance'

We live in hope but unlike some, I'm not getting carried away... :thumbup:

Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:44 pm

Tan has to go, no matter who takes over. I would gladly welcome Sam back to the club. Yes mistakes were made but he was one with the fans. I remember meeting him on Mill Lane by the old Sam's bar after a game and the fans loved him. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:46 pm

Sven wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
GrangeEndStar wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
GrangeEndStar wrote:

100% spot on.

You’re right.

That speaks volumes.

Ned, I was at that game and sst behind Sam's daughter. With acouple of notable exceptiins, Sam was treated as if it were a home-coming... :ayatollah:

What Paul says in his posts above is absolutely smack on in all points. Paul knows Sam well enough now to know his character, his personality, his strength, desire, and the acumen he has to drive our club forward...

I am 100% on for a Sam return but it would take a huge and very courageous change of position from Vincent Tan; one I sadly don't see happening...

As for 'other' bids, we know approaches have been made but if any are anywhere near 'acceptance'

Agree on all points Chris.

Not getting carried away, but there’s hope.

Hope is a word we haven’t had for a while.

Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:30 pm

It’s time for a real change.

However, even though Sam is very popular on here he would be a divisive owner for many.

Of course, the same could be said of Dalman if he is involved but at least he could claim he had to “toe Tan’s line” up to now and if he was solely in charge he would have no such excuse.

Dalman with a Director of Football could work.

All I want is financial stability and a clear vision on the football side.

Even the Tan haters should be hoping the Sala case is won by the club, because I think that gives us the biggest chance of significant change.

Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:51 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
GrangeEndStar wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
GrangeEndStar wrote:

100% spot on.

You’re right.

That speaks volumes.

I won't guild the lilly but Sam would be great for us for all the reasons I've mentioned, either as an owner or working with Tan.

But as it stands, the hard stop is with Tan. He's a bright successful driven guy but in this case, his stubbornness and inability to swallow his pride is his weakness. And it has consequences as we and he has seen. And it doesn't have to be that way and for all the right reasons. Everybody wins, he exits gracefully and the thorn is finally removed from his side.

Magic wand time. Bear with me on this as it's late.

Tan and Sam are at the CCS for a fan meeting summit. They have decided that they want to work together but want the fans approval. A sensible, realistic and achievable plan is presented on how this would look and of the outcome. And the outcome is everybody wins.

So a show of hands is asked for. And I would think that the majority of fans would put their hands up to approve this.

I personally think that this is the perhaps the most important opportunity we have as a club in our history and it's both realistic and real.

This type of opportunity doesn't come around in football that often, believe me. And for that reason, I also think it should be a key boardroom issue. We of course now have the Fans Advisory Board where it's members should be articulating something as important and strategic as this. Maybe they already are.

But even with that, it will fall on deaf ears and dismissed I'm afraid, as the board are seemingly afraid of Tan. Which actually doesn't serve him well. But it should be done nevertheless, as that's what the FAB and the FLR is there for. Fans having influence at board level on decisions that affect the future of their club.

So, back to the present. Would Tan listen to the the majority of fans who would put their hands up at that magic wand meeting I mentioned as they thought it was a good strategy? I would hope so. Would he actually do anything? I don't know. But you never really know. Stranger things have happened. The blue came back for example. So does he listen. There's your answer. And that was because of us, the fans.

But we shouldn't have to protest to get something that we all want changed. Or even seriously considered. But numbers work.

As fans, we can change things for the better when together, and in a sensible and non belligerent way and working with the club. Everybody wins.

Right, it's really late so I'll put my magic wand away. Hey Presto!

Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:27 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
Sven wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
GrangeEndStar wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
GrangeEndStar wrote:

100% spot on.

You’re right.

That speaks volumes.

Ned, I was at that game and sst behind Sam's daughter. With acouple of notable exceptiins, Sam was treated as if it were a home-coming... :ayatollah:

Agree on all points Chris.

Not getting carried away, but there’s hope.

Hope is a word we haven’t had for a while.

Absolutely, Ned... :thumbup: :ayatollah:

Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:46 am

DOES anyone ever read the links correctly He’s 100% not coming back, who said he was? YOUR STUCK WITH THE DICTATOR TAN

Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:58 am

Interest read all of this.

My own thoughts are we need Sam back. I've had the privilege of late to talk to Sam and my immediate thoughts are he is what we need. He is a man that has time to talk to any Cardiff fan and his love for the club is without doubt exemplary. I really see no other answer but his return being the only solution.

Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:43 am

Forever Blue wrote:DOES anyone ever read the links correctly He’s 100% not coming back, who said he was? YOUR STUCK WITH THE DICTATOR TAN

Annis, you've said this so many times I can't understand why folk aren't listening. But if we are stuck with Tan to me that means no change come summer!!

Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:15 am

Cannot see what tans problem is with a new owner even sam all this b.ll.cks that tan loves cardiff
well if thats the case why does he not turn up or push the boat with the big rebuild
we keep hearing about it but nothing has happened since warnock was here.

Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:47 am

JulesK wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:DOES anyone ever read the links correctly He’s 100% not coming back, who said he was? YOUR STUCK WITH THE DICTATOR TAN

Annis, you've said this so many times I can't understand why folk aren't listening. But if we are stuck with Tan to me that means no change come summer!!

And also the reported hints of positive changes and improvements , are not related to the dictator selling up. So we ARE stuck with him then! FFS :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I hope the rumours of positive change mean football advisors coming in and being given permission to make the big calls, and not Tan anymore! Marshall, Etheridge SHOOT!

Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:00 am

montyblue wrote:Cannot see what tans problem is with a new owner even sam all this b.ll.cks that tan loves cardiff
well if thats the case why does he not turn up or push the boat with the big rebuild

Tan doesn't care about the club. It's a thorn in his side and his liability here represents around a quarter of his net worth. We rarely hear from him and when we do, it's to tell fans that we should be grateful for what we've got. His time ended years ago and he just wants out. Which is fair enough.

What he does care about though is how he's going to get his money back. Even his family want him to sell and have no interest in owning us as a "succession" business.

The answer to all of Tans problems is simply to work with Sam. In fact, Tan wouldn't have to do anything, all he would need to do is just let Sam get on and run the whole football show for him.

Tans Money + Sam's Expertise = Sustainable PL Status.

Club increases it's sale value. Tan gets some of his money back and then exits gracefully. Fans are appreciated and fully engaged. Everybody wins.

As it stands, Sam won't be coming back, as for some reason, Tan doesn't like him. Whether that's because of jealousy, or sees him as a threat, or that he'd be more popular, doesn't trust him or an admission of defeat and loss of face, I don't know, nobody does, only Tan. I suspect it's a mix of all the above.

Many fans who I speak with would like Tan to at least engage with Sam and have this discussion, as its clearly the best option and where everyone benefits.

And I think as fans, we should be making ourselves heard in numbers that it's something that we would all like to see happen. And in a non belligerent, intelligent & diplomatic way. I think this is very important.

If Tan continues without changing the core structure of how the club is run, he will get the same yoyo results as we have seen since his ownership. Groundhog day.

And it doesn't have to be that way, the solution is there. All he has to do is swallow his pride, sit back and let Sam get on with it.

Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:03 am

As Annis has confirmed, Sam is history and won't be back.

Don't shoot me down in flames as I will accept being corrected here, but didn't we almost enter liquidation because of Hamman and the outstanding Langstone debt?? Weren't we a facsimile away from going under?

Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:17 am

Dalman has confirmed that Tan will never sell to Sam so it's not happening, dalman has also confirmed that he was looking for outside invest many times this season, rumours are that there are a few offers on the table .

Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:54 pm

GrangeEndStar wrote:
montyblue wrote:Cannot see what tans problem is with a new owner even sam all this b.ll.cks that tan loves cardiff

Tan doesn't care about the club. It's a thorn in his side and his liability here represents around a quarter of his net worth. We rarely hear from him and when we do, it's to tell fans that we should be grateful for what we've got. His time ended years ago and he just wants out. Which is fair enough.

What he does care about though is how he's going to get his money back. Even his family want him to sell and have no interest in owning us as a "succession" business.

The answer to all of Tans problems is simply to work with Sam. In fact, Tan wouldn't have to do anything, all he would need to do is just let Sam get on and run the whole football show for him.

Club increases it's sale value. Tan gets some of his money back and then exits gracefully. Fans are appreciated and fully engaged. Everybody wins.

As it stands, Sam won't be coming back, as for some reason, Tan doesn't like him. Whether that's because of jealousy, or sees him as a threat, or that he'd be more popular, doesn't trust him or an admission of defeat and loss of face, I don't know, nobody does, only Tan. I suspect it's a mix of all the above.

Many fans who I speak with would like Tan to at least engage with Sam and have this discussion, as its clearly the best option and where everyone benefits.

And I think as fans, we should be making ourselves heard in numbers that it's something that we would all like to see happen. And in a non belligerent, intelligent & diplomatic way. I think this is very important.

If Tan continues without changing the core structure of how the club is run, he will get the same yoyo results as we have seen since his ownership. Groundhog day.

And it doesn't have to be that way, the solution is there. All he has to do is swallow his pride, sit back and let Sam get on with it.

Your views seem to be quite biased to be honest mate and hold no water. Like me saying my boy is better than Ronaldo, he clearly isn’t but doesn’t stop me saying it, no one pays any attention to me on that subject. lol.

Also how do you not understand what foreverblue has said Sam’s not coming back 100%. It pretty simple really.

Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:59 pm

How much is Sam now worth?
Where did he make all that new money?

A quick google search says he worth 31 million which won’t get us far, also he’s no spring chicken what long future would we have under him anyway?

Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:26 pm

Cantonblue.ian wrote:
GrangeEndStar wrote:

Your views seem to be quite biased to be honest mate and hold no water. Like me saying my boy is better than Ronaldo, he clearly isn’t but doesn’t stop me saying it, no one pays any attention to me on that subject. lol.

Also how do you not understand what foreverblue has said Sam’s not coming back 100%. It pretty simple really.

If you read my post "mate", I clearly state "As it stands, Sam won't be coming back, as for some reason, Tan doesn't like him". Pretty clear and simple, so not sure how you can't understand that?

My views are clearly biased as they are based on what is the best option going forward for our club. That's my conclusion and view and the same for others on this thread that agree with me.

So to be honest, "mate", whilst my views hold no water with you, they do with others whose opinions I respect as they are informed and considered. Maybe you should check that you don't have a leak? "Lol".

Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:38 pm

GrangeEndStar wrote:
Cantonblue.ian wrote:
GrangeEndStar wrote:

If you read my post "mate", I clearly state "As it stands, Sam won't be coming back, as for some reason, Tan doesn't like him". Pretty clear and simple, so not sure how you can't understand that?

My views are clearly biased as they are based on what is the best option going forward for our club. That's my conclusion and view and the same for others on this thread that agree with me.

So to be honest, "mate", whilst my views hold no water with you, they do with others whose opinions I respect as they are informed and considered. Maybe you should check that you don't have a leak? "Lol".

Fair enough.
It’s just like Groundhog Day reading your posts.