Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

YESTERDAY FC NANTES: “ EMILIANO SALA “

Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:05 am

Vincent Tan is suing FC Nantes for the loss of revenue of up to €120 mill:

Their was a Civil Court hearing yesterday brought to Court by Vincent Tan.

It's understood Nantes have until September 23rd 2024 to respond to Monday's filing.

The case is not expected to come to full trial until 2025.

Tan is claiming that if Emiliano Sala had lived and scored the goals to keep Cardiff City in the Premiership Cardiff would be €120 million better off.

FC Nantes basic reply at this moment in time say they had nothing to do with anything regarding Emiliano Sala once he became a Cardiff City player and so was totally Cardiff City’s responsibility.

Emiliano Sala of his own free will flew back to France to say goodbye to his friends and to sort out travel arrangements for his dog to join him in Cardiff.

Emiliano accepted a flight back to Cardiff from his acting agent Mckay, The striker was tragically killed five years ago when the plane carrying him from Nantes to Wales crashed in the Channel close to Guernsey, and the legal wrangling between the two clubs has been ongoing almost ever since.

Nantes defended Cardiff’s action in November by responding that McKay was not acting for them as an agent in the Sala deal and after the deal was completed, Sala was no longer their player and was free to do or chose what ever he wanted.

Neil Warnock and McKay were both heavily involved in the transfer of Emiliano Sala and at this moment in time both Mckays sons were Cardiff City’s U21 players.

A statement from McKay said: "Out of respect for the family of Emiliano Sala, I felt it was necessary to confirm that Cardiff City FC have reached an agreement with me regarding their claim against Nantes FC.

"I have, throughout this process, provided evidence to assist the Dorset Coroner, Dorset Police, Civil Aviation Authority and the Air Accidents Investigation Board and, always acted openly and honestly during all the investigations into the tragic death of Emiliano.

"My family and myself, have endured endless unfounded allegations and accusations, but we have always known that we were innocent of any wrongdoing. Throughout all the above investigations, we have been found to be innocent of any wrongdoing of any kind leading up to the awful events on the 21 January 2019.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: YESTERDAY FC NANTES: “ EMILIANO SALA “

Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:20 am

So another year, when will this all end? Once Sala became a Cardiff City player surely he was our responsibility not Nantes? This is so tragic and it’s not about Sala or his family it’s about money and a lot of wrong doings. We don’t seem that innocent either as Warnock was fully involved?

Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:37 am

Cardiff City Football Club filed a complaint in a French court on Monday against Football Club de Nantes, claiming losses of more than £100m following a dispute over striker Emiliano Sala's death in a plane crash in January 2019.

A figure of 120.2m euros (£104m) was estimated after "an in-depth analysis" by a legal expert, the Welsh club's lawyer Celine Jones said.
Jones said this analysis has been filed at the Nantes Commercial Court in western France, which gave the French club until 23 September to respond.

FC Nantes:

"We'll take the time to study these new voluminous documents and these figures," said lawyers representing Nantes, Jerome Marsaudon and Louis-Marie Absil.

Sala, a 28-year-old Argentine striker, and pilot David Ibbotson died in a plane crash on 21 January 2019 while travelling to south Wales from France to complete a £15m transfer from Nantes to the Bluebirds.

The Welsh club opted to take separate legal action against Nantes after the Swiss Federal Tribunal decided the Court of Arbitration in Sport (CAS) did not have jurisdiction to deal with the Bluebirds' claim for damages.

A Cardiff statement, published following the conclusion of the 2022-23 season, stated damages sought were to "recover what the club paid for Emiliano" and for "additional damages for further consequential losses".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:00 am

I've been looking into this Probability process that has come to the forefront of late. This process is so called experts analysing the possibilities of if this event happened then the chances of an actual outcome would prevail. Now these experts are saying if Sala played for us in 50% of the remaining games we would have stayed up. Personally I think we are clutching at straws here and I will be surprised if a court of law accepts it.

The only other similar situation I have been shown where this Probability has happened is the Tevez case against West Ham. To remind people of this Tevez joined West Ham against the agent rules. He should have not played for them when he did. He scored some important goals that saved West Ham from relegation. Sheffield United were the ones to lose out and were awarded £50m damaged against West Ham. The thing with this case was that it all facts that Tevez played and scored the goals. There is no fact that Sala would have scored for us. Its all assumptions.

I just can't see us coming out on top here.

Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:20 am

Bakedalasker wrote:I've been looking into this Probability process that has come to the forefront of late. This process is so called experts analysing the possibilities of if this event happened then the chances of an actual outcome would prevail. Now these experts are saying if Sala played for us in 50% of the remaining games we would have stayed up. Personally I think we are clutching at straws here and I will be surprised if a court of law accepts it.

The only other similar situation I have been shown where this Probability has happened is the Tevez case against West Ham. To remind people of this Tevez joined West Ham against the agent rules. He should have not played for them when he did. He scored some important goals that saved West Ham from relegation. Sheffield United were the ones to lose out and were awarded £50m damaged against West Ham. The thing with this case was that it all facts that Tevez played and scored the goals. There is no fact that Sala would have scored for us. Its all assumptions.

Exactly Ian,

Backed by facts etc

There are so many ifs and maybes here and so much hidden and other people involved.

But because I feel the same ways so you I am being called negative etc

I said we would lose the court cases that Tan said Sala was not ours, pathetic by him.

We lost 3 court cases in trying not pay, cost us extra’s of £millions , Lawyers, interest etc and Transfer Embargo.

I totally agree about McKay slimey and understanding etc etc but you can’t can’t get blood of a stone from him.

I just can’t see us winning this and I see more money lost and another year of it going on.

Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:21 am

Ninian27 wrote:So another year, when will this all end? Once Sala became a Cardiff City player surely he was our responsibility not Nantes? This is so tragic and it’s not about Sala or his family it’s about money and a lot of wrong doings. We don’t seem that innocent either as Warnock was fully involved?

If it was as simple as this the matter would have been sorted years ago.

Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:33 am

This seriously lacks class….

Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:13 am

Forever Blue wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:I've been looking into this Probability process that has come to the forefront of late. This process is so called experts analysing the possibilities of if this event happened then the chances of an actual outcome would prevail. Now these experts are saying if Sala played for us in 50% of the remaining games we would have stayed up. Personally I think we are clutching at straws here and I will be surprised if a court of law accepts it.

Exactly Ian,

Backed by facts etc

There are so many ifs and maybes here and so much hidden and other people involved.

I said we would lose the court cases that Tan said Sala was not ours, pathetic by him.

We lost 3 court cases in trying not pay, cost us extra’s of £millions , Lawyers, interest etc and Transfer Embargo.

I totally agree about McKay slimey and understanding etc etc but you can’t can’t get blood of a stone from him.

I just can’t see us winning this and I see more money lost and another year of it going on.

Well Annis time will tell if we are right in our opinions.

As for the negative comments you have received, I've had my share of that and it looks like Wiggy is about to take my title, all along the way you have given your opinions and some very good points. Problem with some on here is they don't like hearing them because its not what they want to hear so they revert to calling you negative.

Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:21 am

Reply:

Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:25 am

Bakedalasker wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Exactly Ian,

Backed by facts etc

Well Annis time will tell if we are right in our opinions.

As for the negative comments you have received, I've had my share of that and it looks like Wiggy is about to take my title, all along the way you have given your opinions and some very good points. Problem with some on here is they don't like hearing them because its not what they want to hear so they revert to calling you negative.

Thank you Ian,

You have had the same, many still don’t like the truth.

Tan said he was not our player shocking and unbelievable , we lost of course.

Tan lost three major court cases refused to pay the money owing, cost us beyond.

Unless i go along with them all, it’s not allowed to say what you believe and every time I have been proved right the same lot of posters disappear, they come back when Tan then starts another court case.

Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:26 am

Reply:

Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:32 am

Forever Blue wrote:Reply:

That will be the same “bloody idiot” who is the only person to put £1m in the trust fund !!

Some people really need to think before they post.

Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:49 am

piledriver64 wrote:

That will be the same “bloody idiot” who is the only person to put £1m in the trust fund !!

this case is not about him it's about accountability and redress for someones negligence...... and got nothing to do with previous court cases where it was proven he was our player ... so much hypocrisy on here it's staggering! Anyway may not be over for awhile if club is allowed to progress case so argument will start all over again.. :roll:

Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:49 am

Nantes have are flip flopping on this hmmmmmmm mccays were the selling agent for Nantes, confirmed by the Mccays themselves at the time of Salas death in a letter they published to the media but now they weren't?

Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:29 am

pembroke allan wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:

this case is not about him it's about accountability and redress for someones negligence...... and got nothing to do with previous court cases where it was proven he was our player ... so much hypocrisy on here it's staggering! Anyway may not be over for awhile if club is allowed to progress case so argument will start all over again.. :roll:

Spot on Allen, now before someone says " change like the weather " hmmmm. Mr Tan should sell but after he gets his day in court and clears our clubs name of Nantes and dodgy agents wrongdoing.
But hey, suppose its a large stick to hit Tan and club with.

Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:08 pm

JulesK wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:

Spot on Allen, now before someone says " change like the weather " hmmmm. Mr Tan should sell but after he gets his day in court and clears our clubs name of Nantes and dodgy agents wrongdoing.
But hey, suppose its a large stick to hit Tan and club with.

Yes he should sell no question about that ... but is there anyone who wouldn't persue what to them is seen as an injustice ? No matter the rights or wrongs of previous court cases..... this court case is simply about making nante/mckay accountable for their actions that resulted in his death ! and severe financial loss to ccfc whether people agree with it or not club obliged to persue litigation ....

Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:44 pm

Nantes are a club run by slimy, cheating, lying corrupt individuals who haven’t paid a single penny into the Sala trust fund despite receiving the transfer fee in full

McKay is even worse, a parasite and a loathsome, vile human being who again hasn’t paid a penny despite earning a fortune in agent fees from the transfer

Whether you like or dislike Tan I fully endorse him going after Nantes and McKay

Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:05 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:Nantes are a club run by slimy, cheating, lying corrupt individuals who haven’t paid a single penny into the Sala trust fund despite receiving the transfer fee in full

McKay is even worse, a parasite and a loathsome, vile human being who again hasn’t paid a penny despite earning a fortune in agent fees from the transfer

Whether you like or dislike Tan I fully endorse him going after Nantes and McKay

I fully endorse Tan and the club going after McKay. I also feel the guy who owned the plane company has got off too lightly, couple of years in prison and he's out, while Sala and Ibbotson lost their lives. He's the one that is pure evil in all this. The club shouldn't forget about him either.

I do wonder where Nantes fit into all this though. If the tragedy happened prior to signing then yeah, Nantes completely liable, but once Sala was a CCFC player. Just seems like we are clutching at straws. I know McKay was hired by Nantes to make the sale and you could say that includes all the logistics along with it...but we are talking about an incident post sale???

I wish it was all over!!!

Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:07 pm

Well let’s wait and see come next year, if Tan gets his €120mill???

I will be first on here to admit I was wrong if he gets it, I will now say 100% Tan will not.

Will the posters on this topic and previous come back on admit they were wrong if Tan does not?

Remember Tan saying Sala was not our player , shocking.

Remember Tan refusing to pay the fee despite 3 different courts saying we had to shocking.

Funny mainly the same posters backed Tan then, but never admitted they were wrong like Tan.

Remember Warnock / McKay Hmmmmmmm?

Remember Nantes were not responsible for Sala after he signed for Cardiff City and rightly so as with any club.

Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:36 pm

Why do people need to come on here to admit they were right or wrong for expressing an opinion on court case? You keep bringing up all cases Tan as lost why not keep to the thread topic ? You hate tan we all get that but others are more pragmatic about things so have different opinion or would you prefer if everyone one hated Tan like you? Be very boring forum if they did...... no matter what you think club as the right to seek redress from nante if its proved they were liable for actions of McKay ? if court decides they're not hopefully that's end of this sorry saga and Tan departs club soon.... then most on here can start to complain about new owners .. :o

Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:02 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Why do people need to come on here to admit they were right or wrong for expressing an opinion on court case? You keep bringing up all cases Tan as lost why not keep to the thread topic ? You hate tan we all get that but others are more pragmatic about things so have different opinion or would you prefer if everyone one hated Tan like you? Be very boring forum if they did...... no matter what you think club as the right to seek redress from nante if its proved they were liable for actions of McKay ? if court decides they're not hopefully that's end of this sorry saga and Tan departs club soon.... then most on here can start to complain about new owners .. :o

Nailed it !!

Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:49 pm

Ideal scenario would be:-

We win the case Tan gets his £120 million then sells the club and fcuks off

McKay gets jailed

We get new owners preferably local who plough money in

We win the Championship, then we buy Swansea and make them our feeder club

I marry Natalie Unbruglia

Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:52 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Well let’s wait and see come next year, if Tan gets his €120mill???

I will be first on here to admit I was wrong if he gets it, I will now say 100% Tan will not.

Will the posters on this topic and previous come back on admit they were wrong if Tan does not?

Remember Tan saying Sala was not our player , shocking.

Remember Tan refusing to pay the fee despite 3 different courts saying we had to shocking.

Funny mainly the same posters backed Tan then, but never admitted they were wrong like Tan.

Remember Warnock / McKay Hmmmmmmm?

Remember Nantes were not responsible for Sala after he signed for Cardiff City and rightly so as with any club.

I think that’s a little unfair.

I’ve always defended Tan's position in taking this all the way to the highest courts because it was never just as simple as whose player Sala was. That was just the start of it.

As you say, we will find out at the end of this case as to whether Tan was right in his arguments, however he doesn’t need to get €120m to prove it.

He simply needs to get enough to cover the transfer fee and subsequent court costs to make it a “win”. Most with any level of legal knowledge would acknowledge that.

Let’s wait and see but I would be surprised if we have to wait until next year. That may be when the case is listed but I would be surprised if it gets to a full blown trial.

In civil courts in this country if a party makes an offer to settle and the other party declines unless the final judgment is at least one euro more than the final judgement then even if the judgment is in their favour they won’t be awarded the trial costs which is why so many civil cases settle before trial.

Of course, that may be different in France but worth noting. Others with a better knowledge of French law on here may be able to correct me.

Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:48 pm

Only one thing I have too say.
I wonder if McKay has given evidence to City showing that he was acting for Nantes.
Methinks he has :bluescarf:

Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:57 pm

Igovernor wrote:Only one thing I have too say.
I wonder if McKay has given evidence to City showing that he was acting for Nantes.

My issue with that statement (beit true or not) is that our club (via the then manager at least) would have known that McKay was involved...

As for the outcome, the French Courts will decide on that; not us Barrack Room lawyers...

Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:09 pm

Its feeding time at the Zoo.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:51 am

Sven wrote:

My issue with that statement (beit true or not) is that our club (via the then manager at least) would have known that McKay was involved...

As for the outcome, the French Courts will decide on that; not us Barrack Room lawyers...

Very true Chris :bluescarf:

Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:45 am

Replies:

Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:22 am

pembroke allan wrote:Why do people need to come on here to admit they were right or wrong for expressing an opinion on court case? You keep bringing up all cases Tan as lost why not keep to the thread topic ? You hate tan we all get that but others are more pragmatic about things so have different opinion or would you prefer if everyone one hated Tan like you? Be very boring forum if they did...... no matter what you think club as the right to seek redress from nante if its proved they were liable for actions of McKay ? if court decides they're not hopefully that's end of this sorry saga and Tan departs club soon.... then most on here can start to complain about new owners .. :o

I don't think anyone is expecting anywhere near £120milliom, that's a negotiating and high starting point to get as much as they can of the £15 million they paid for him.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:28 am

Sven wrote:

Strange isn't it, too some he was the Messiah. Always said he was dodgy same as other old school.