Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Erol Bulut is a Wanted Man AND:

Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:10 am

Cardiff City manager Erol Bulut is reportedly on a seven-man shortlist to take the Besiktas job this summer and EFL Championship
Clubs have been monitoring Bulut.

Bulut's contract is up at the end of the season, meaning he has only three games left as Bluebirds manager, at the time of writing. The decision with regards to his future lies solely in the hands of Vincent Tan.

Bulut was brought over with the remit of getting the team into the top half of the table, perhaps even the top 10, with a view to building on that next year. The manager has steered Cardiff away from the relegation dogfight, in which they have been embroiled for the last two seasons, and they currently sit in 11th place with three games to play.

Bulut has for five months asked the Cardiff City “what are their plans, do they want him to stay?” He has received no answers at all.

And other clubs now appear to be monitoring the manager's situation. Indeed, Turkish outlet Fanatik claim that Bulut is among a handful of people being considered to take over from former Portugal boss Fernando Santos, who was axed by Besiktas at the weekend. Santos' assistant, Serdar Topraktepe, has taken over until the end of the season.

Besiktas is one of Turkey's three biggest and most successful clubs, alongside Fenerbahce, whom Bulut has previously managed, and Galatasaray.

Other notable names reportedly on Besiktas' list are Chelsea legend Frank Lampard, ex-Bayern Munich and Germany boss Hansi Flick, former Monaco and Wolfsburg manager Niko Kovac, AC Milan great Gennaro Gattuso, Borussia Dortmund manager Edin Terzic and Antalyaspor boss Sergen Yalçın.

It looks unlikely that Bulut's situation will be resolved until after the season, similar to Sabri Lamouchi's situation 12 months ago. Lamouchi also carried out his remit of keeping the club in the Championship, but Tan decided to let him leave, with a lack of "chemistry" with the owner the reason cited.

It's fair to say that while fans will have their gripes about certain aspects of Bulut's time in charge of Cardiff so far, there is an overwhelming desire among supporters for him to stay. Whether that transpires or not is down to only one man.

Cardiff City fans want stability and want to go forward, not backwards again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Erol Bulut is a Wanted Man AND:

Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:21 am

Beşiktaş, teknik direktörlük görevi için Erol Bulut'u adaylar arasına ekledi.

Fanatik
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:26 pm

Take him now

Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:36 pm

Keep him, Vincent Tan...!

He's the best we've had since Neil Warnock and deserves more respect than shown by you and some others to date...

We really don't need another 'total rebuild' from top to bottom this summer unless, of course, you have a 'better' plan in place; which would be a first...

Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:10 pm

He's not for me unfortunately.

Many people are saying "if he gets his own players in things will change", and I understand their thinking. But that's the problem for me, I don't think there will be money available this summer for Bulut to get his transfer targets so he will have the same quality players as this season.

Which means we will have the same dire, defensive, drivel as this season because I don't believe he can change his tactics to get the best out of the players he's got.

BUT.....if he stays I hope he proves me wrong. :ayatollah:

Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:16 pm

if he goes i dread to think who replaces him, i heard purse is just the man for the job ?

Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:27 pm

Get it sorted! Whoever is making the calls on management recruitment needs a head wobble.

Another post on here posted our last 10 managers. Not one of them have gone onto bigger or better things (or linked to Champions league clubs).

I do understand why some fans are not with him, I've switched every which way this season; but ultimately it's job done/with breathing space/under the usual Cardiff City wackiness.

An achievable goal next year is to progress again and build. Play off/promotion push in 2 years I'd be happy with... seeing it out with the same manager feels impossible in todays climate.

Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:40 pm

I’m not surprised he’s wanted by a club the size of Besiktas.

He’s a good manager who has done a great job with us so far.

We need to sort out that contract extension ASAP.

Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:41 pm

MikeO76 wrote:He's not for me unfortunately.

Many people are saying "if he gets his own players in things will change", and I understand their thinking. But that's the problem for me, I don't think there will be money available this summer for Bulut to get his transfer targets so he will have the same quality players as this season.

Which means we will have the same dire, defensive, drivel as this season because I don't believe he can change his tactics to get the best out of the players he's got.

So if we don't have any money to spend in the summer, then who are we going to hire to do a better job?

Surely the man that's taken an already below average squad to comfortable safety, the man that has a enough contacts to land us Goutas and Siopis on free transfers is the man that we want to keep?

Whilst I agree that there are better managers than Bulut, do I trust our board to pick the right one? Given their track record, I'm extremely pessimistic. I have a bad feeling everyone wanting Bulut out is in for a rude awakening next season when we're left with another Harris/Trollope/Morrison.

Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:28 pm

Great PR by his agent, I'll drive him to Turkey tonight, along with thousands of others!

Ramsey must be in the frame ;) Assistant manager to ....Coooper! :happy1:

Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:29 pm

Reply:

Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:41 pm

G3vans wrote:

So if we don't have any money to spend in the summer, then who are we going to hire to do a better job?

Surely the man that's taken an already below average squad to comfortable safety, the man that has a enough contacts to land us Goutas and Siopis on free transfers is the man that we want to keep?

Whilst I agree that there are better managers than Bulut, do I trust our board to pick the right one? Given their track record, I'm extremely pessimistic. I have a bad feeling everyone wanting Bulut out is in for a rude awakening next season when we're left with another Harris/Trollope/Morrison.

I said money available for transfers. There's obviously money available for a manager, Bulut's not going to do it for free!

As for who.....I don't know it's not my job to recruit the manager for next season but there will be plenty out of contract championship level managers out there that would jump at a chance to manage Cardiff City. Be honest, who had heard of Bulut this time last year.......

As for this squad....at least mid table, probably higher with the right manager who can get the best out of them. Unfortunately Bulut can't.

Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:45 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Reply:

One thing we've learned about our owner is that he is an autocrat in the first degree...

No one else's opinion really matters and it has clearly manifested with years of sychophantic 'yes' men/women working for his empire...

He possibly still 'smarting' from Mehmet's 'win' over the current manager and that would never sit right with him...

I just hope he sees the bigger picture here and gives Erol Bulut the security of a two-year contract...

If not, I sincerely hope he has a nice surprise up his sleeve... :ayatollah:

Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:45 pm

MikeO76 wrote:
G3vans wrote:

I said money available for transfers. There's obviously money available for a manager, Bulut's not going to do it for free!

As for who.....I don't know it's not my job to recruit the manager for next season but there will be plenty out of contract championship level managers out there that would jump at a chance to manage Cardiff City. Be honest, who had heard of Bulut this time last year.......

As for this squad....at least mid table, probably higher with the right manager who can get the best out of them. Unfortunately Bulut can't.

Did you really genuinely think before the season started that we’d be better than 11th?

Really?

Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:23 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:
G3vans wrote:

Did you really genuinely think before the season started that we’d be better than 11th?

Really?

I was completely opened minded before the season started. We had quite a few new players, some I knew very little about, and a new manager that I'd never heard of.

After 43 games plus cups, and the addition of Phillips, Turnbull and Horvath in January, I believe this squad should have been pushing for the play offs with the right manager. I don't think Bulut is the right manager for this squad.

Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:47 pm

Erring on keeping Erol here. Not convinced there's much better out there unless we can tempt Xavi Alonso to Wales!

The issue we have is our slightly madcap autocratic owner who needs to be the kingpin in every major decision to satiate his enormous ego!

Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:04 pm

Wiggy wrote:Great PR by his agent, I'll drive him to Turkey tonight, along with thousands of others!

If you do take him to Turkey, can you stay there too?

Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:59 pm

MikeO76 wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:
G3vans wrote:

Really?

I was completely opened minded before the season started. We had quite a few new players, some I knew very little about, and a new manager that I'd never heard of.

After 43 games plus cups, and the addition of Phillips, Turnbull and Horvath in January, I believe this squad should have been pushing for the play offs with the right manager. I don't think Bulut is the right manager for this squad.

I can understand people being frustrated with his tactics, because we are very defensive.

But I honestly think in terms of league position, we have exceeded most people’s expectations.

I do think he deserves another year.

I wouldn’t offer more than a year because there is that concern about his defensive style - even though he said that will change with signings.

Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:01 pm

Roath_Blue wrote:
Wiggy wrote:Great PR by his agent, I'll drive him to Turkey tonight, along with thousands of others!

If you do take him to Turkey, can you stay there too?

Unfortunately they have Internet there so stuck with him! :o
Interesting question is why hasn't bulut said he's going afterall he's no alegence to club so nothing stopping him..

Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:32 pm

Are Besiktas the Turkish "Celtic" :D

PS Besiktas average crowd is 24K :o

Couldn't give a toss either way,I am so split I am almost schizophrenic. He is undoubtedly decent but we will never know if another manager could get us to 12th playing a bit more attacking.

Not sure why Vinny is talking so long, Bulut is a professional even if he was not extending he'd see us out with integrity.

Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:55 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:
G3vans wrote:

Really?

I can understand people being frustrated with his tactics, because we are very defensive.

But I honestly think in terms of league position, we have exceeded most people’s expectations.

I wouldn’t offer more than a year because there is that concern about his defensive style - even though he said that will change with signings.

Your last paragraph sums up my concern with giving him a new contract.

Firstly, what if he doesn't get the money he needs for these signing.

Secondly, we have been theoretically safe for the last 5 games so why hasn't he changed his style of play to be more attacking if that's his plan, surely that would have given him a better chance of a new contract.

And before people reply with, we haven't got the players to do that, we've got plenty of attack minded players in this squad.

I don't think he's got it in him to coach attacking football. However, if he stays next season I really do hope he proves me wrong. :ayatollah:

Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:17 pm

MikeO76 wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:
G3vans wrote:

Really?

Your last paragraph sums up my concern with giving him a new contract.

Firstly, what if he doesn't get the money he needs for these signing.

Secondly, we have been theoretically safe for the last 5 games so why hasn't he changed his style of play to be more attacking if that's his plan, surely that would have given him a better chance of a new contract.

And before people reply with, we haven't got the players to do that, we've got plenty of attack minded players in this squad.

I don't think he's got it in him to coach attacking football. However, if he stays next season I really do hope he proves me wrong. :ayatollah:

Is there something in his contract such as a bonus for top half finish maybe?

If he doesn't get any money to improve the squad then it just reiterates that Tan doesn't want to part with money

If he does, and Bulut gets his contract, gets his players and still plays defensive football ill hold my hands up.

But I still stand by that he has achieved something this season that we wouldn't have expected, and for that he deserves a new contract

Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:11 pm

The club is an absolute joke under Tan. :banghead:

Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:13 am

Reply:

Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:13 am

Reply:

Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:16 am

The only reason I would give him a 2 year contract, is because it's hard to get his players to come over and sign when the manager isn't tied up for more than a season.

Plus I think the guy smashed his objective he deserves it, the turn around from last year is massive.

Even if you don't like his football you got to appreciate we are night and day from last season

Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:43 am

I'd also give him a 2 year contract.

A 1 year contract puts us back into groundhog day this time next year.

Let's be honest, the length of contract is rarely achieved by a football manager in the championship nowadays, is it?

Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:13 pm

Bulut has done superbly well with transfer embargo, no full pre season last year, lack of pre organised pre season tour/games.

Injuries, lack of decency by the top brass in terms of his future, have heaped pressure on him, yet he has stood up, in the main, very well.

Yes, some of his tactics were dubious and football boring, but give him funds, security and a free reign, next year could be a lot better.

Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:51 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:I’m not surprised he’s wanted by a club the size of Besiktas.

He’s a good manager who has done a great job with us so far.

We need to sort out that contract extension ASAP.

Spot On .

Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:04 am

SB 1927 wrote:I'd also give him a 2 year contract.

A 1 year contract puts us back into groundhog day this time next year.

Let's be honest, the length of contract is rarely achieved by a football manager in the championship nowadays, is it?

That makes sense, he's the best we will get by a long way, if Tan lets him slip away he will live to regret it, a massive mistake, that will cost him when he eventually sells.