Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: That’s why Colwill shouldn’t start

Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:33 am

I'm not sure you can really build a team around a player who seems incapable of playing a full 90 minute game.

Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:27 pm

Ridicules
2 games 2 assits to goals.
Best player in the first half. all shxtx in the second half no fight and continually turned over the ball. Why pick on Colwill as there are another 10 players on the field.

Question you should be asking is why our keeper didn't save either of the goals.

Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:33 pm

He's 21. He was the best player by a mile last Wednesday. Inconsistency will be a thing. I feel lile he's significantly better than this time last year and nice to see him amongst the assists/impacting games rather than being flash to the eye.

He's passed 100 games so next season he needs to become the man. Apprenticeship over. Needs 10 goals and assists next season.

Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:53 pm

I think Colwill is a class player, needs improvement in fitness and end product mind. I cannot understand why people have a go at him all the time ?

Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:13 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
Underhill1927 wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:It was a pass through to Siopis which would have created a good counter attack if it came off. If he didn't attempt to make that pass plenty on here would be having a go at him for that.

We need to be encouraging our young players not criticising them.

We can’t have players passing the ball forward creatively. That is madness haha

Didn’t say that, but there is a time to do it and a time not to do it.

A time not to do it is when you’ve just defended a set piece and the only player up field is a defensive midfielder who hasn’t scored for us. At least get the weight of the pass right if you are going to do it.

Ned, I think Rubin had a decent enough game but he is still 'work in progress' and prone to the odd mistake in his decision-making. That's why I am so pro- Rambo being at the club next season. He, for me, will be the catalyst for his continued improvement...

A World Cup appearance and a (fantastic) goal at Anfield, I think he's on the right path; and it helps he's 'one of our own' :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:19 pm

Hope he stays sound for the next few weeks, needs to go on holiday, relax then have a special personalised closed season. I doubt he has had a decent preseason for seasons or if ever.

Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:50 pm

Sven wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
Underhill1927 wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:It was a pass through to Siopis which would have created a good counter attack if it came off. If he didn't attempt to make that pass plenty on here would be having a go at him for that.

We need to be encouraging our young players not criticising them.

We can’t have players passing the ball forward creatively. That is madness haha

Didn’t say that, but there is a time to do it and a time not to do it.

A time not to do it is when you’ve just defended a set piece and the only player up field is a defensive midfielder who hasn’t scored for us. At least get the weight of the pass right if you are going to do it.

Ned, I think Rubin had a decent enough game but he is still 'work in progress' and prone to the odd mistake in his decision-making. That's why I am so pro- Rambo being at the club next season. He, for me, will be the catalyst for his continued improvement...

A World Cup appearance and a (fantastic) goal at Anfield, I think he's on the right path; and it helps he's 'one of our own' :ayatollah:

That pass was never on and no one would have said anything if he just passed it sideways because that's what we do.... plenty of times we try long balls to miete definitely there's a time and place unfortunately he got it wrong at the wrong time .... but he showed flashes 1st half before fading 2nd half along with rest team... Rambo hopefully show him what is required to be good midfielder....

Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:25 pm

davids wrote:I'm not sure you can really build a team around a player who seems incapable of playing a full 90 minute game.

Correct.

He gets support from some on here because he’s from the academy.

If he wasn’t, he’d be heavily criticised as others have said on here.

I would trust Turnbull over Colwill.

Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:04 pm

I've always been totally bemused by the criticism Colwill gets. Clearly, he's a very special player with tons of ability. Nobody else could have scored his goal home to Bristol City earlier in the season. He recently set Bowler up with a perfect pass, weighted to perfection so Bowler could finish it first time without needing to control the ball or break stride.

We should be encouraging our own home grown youngsters, but it's almost as if certain fans want him to fail for this reason? I'm going to flip things and suggest if Colwill WASN'T one of our own academy players, then he WOULDN'T be getting criticised by some of our fans so unnecessarily.

I think because Colwill is one of our own and is a special talent, he gets watched and analysed by some of our fans more than other players. Unfortunately, some of our fans are ONLY happy to criticise and because they watch Colwill more than other players, they criticise Colwill more.

Clearly, the OP is totally unreasonable, unfair and unnecessary. There was plenty of opportunity to stop their second goal and Colwill put the free kick in for our goal. Colwill has shown on several occasions this season he has that extra quality to create and impact games, and he will only continue to get better the more he plays.

Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:26 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:I've always been totally bemused by the criticism Colwill gets. Clearly, he's a very special player with tons of ability. Nobody else could have scored his goal home to Bristol City earlier in the season. He recently set Bowler up with a perfect pass, weighted to perfection so Bowler could finish it first time without needing to control the ball or break stride.

We should be encouraging our own home grown youngsters, but it's almost as if certain fans want him to fail for this reason? I'm going to flip things and suggest if Colwill WASN'T one of our own academy players, then he WOULDN'T be getting criticised by some of our fans so unnecessarily.

I think because Colwill is one of our own and is a special talent, he gets watched and analysed by some of our fans more than other players. Unfortunately, some of our fans are ONLY happy to criticise and because they watch Colwill more than other players, they criticise Colwill more.

Clearly, the OP is totally unreasonable, unfair and unnecessary. There was plenty of opportunity to stop their second goal and Colwill put the free kick in for our goal. Colwill has shown on several occasions this season he has that extra quality to create and impact games, and he will only continue to get better the more he plays.

“A very special player.”

“Tons of ability.”

Really? Then why are there not clubs from the top of the league, PL or abroad knocking on the door to buy him.

Has there been any interest from bigger clubs? Because I haven’t heard of any.

I’m not being harsh at all, just realistic.

Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:39 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:I've always been totally bemused by the criticism Colwill gets. Clearly, he's a very special player with tons of ability. Nobody else could have scored his goal home to Bristol City earlier in the season. He recently set Bowler up with a perfect pass, weighted to perfection so Bowler could finish it first time without needing to control the ball or break stride.

“A very special player.”

“Tons of ability.”

Really? Then why are there not clubs from the top of the league, PL or abroad knocking on the door to buy him.

Name another player at the club who could create his piece of skill to individually create his Bristol City goal? No other player at the club could have done that. What about his free kick he whipped into the top corner away to QPR a season or two ago?

Colwill has moments of magic in his locker, we just need him to deliver more frequently. Colwill will only get more consistent and produce more when he's continually playing. Colwill is currently contributing and deserves to keep his place in the team. He should stay in the team at this stage of the season, the more game time he has, the better.

Your opinion of not starting him because he misplaced a pass is not the answer.

You haven't criticised Goutas by failing to defend a simple one two against him for their first goal.

You haven't criticised Collins for missing the tackle and then Nat Phillips switching off to allow Watmore to get ahead of him for their third goal.

You just choose to pick on Colwill for misplacing one pass, but there was plenty of time for us to defend after that. Colwill got another assist from his free kick to add to his recent assist to Bowler, but you're not interested in that. You seem to only want to be negative and criticise instead, which is disappointing to see.

Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:05 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:

“A very special player.”

“Tons of ability.”

Name another player at the club who could create his piece of skill to individually create his Bristol City goal? No other player at the club could have done that. What about his free kick he whipped into the top corner away to QPR a season or two ago?

Colwill has moments of magic in his locker, we just need him to deliver more frequently. Colwill will only get more consistent and produce more when he's continually playing. Colwill is currently contributing and deserves to keep his place in the team. He should stay in the team at this stage of the season, the more game time he has, the better.

Your opinion of not starting him because he misplaced a pass is not the answer.

You haven't criticised Goutas by failing to defend a simple one two against him for their first goal.

You haven't criticised Collins for missing the tackle and then Nat Phillips switching off to allow Watmore to get ahead of him for their third goal.

You just choose to pick on Colwill for misplacing one pass, but there was plenty of time for us to defend after that. Colwill got another assist from his free kick to add to his recent assist to Bowler, but you're not interested in that. You seem to only want to be negative and criticise instead, which is disappointing to see.

You’re right about a couple of things.

Goutas and Collins should have dealt with it better. I didn’t single them out because I knew others would criticise them.

I know that some will never criticise Colwill but that pass was a ridiculous pass to make at that stage of the game. We can all accept mistakes, but that was just complete stupidity.

You are also right that he has had great moments but not on a regular basis.

If he’s really this great player that some make him out to be, he would have that consistency.

That’s why he will never be a top Championship or above player.

People speak about him like he’s still a kid who has just come out of the academy, but he’ll be 22 at the end of this month. That’s older than it sounds, especially for an attacking player.

Can anyone serious say that Colwill is on a similar level to the likes of Jack Clarke, Dewsbury-Hall, Broadhead, Jobe Bellingham, Whittaker etc?

These are all other young players in this league who are performing at a much better level than Colwill.

I constantly hear “he’ll learn from this mistake”.

But when will that actually start to happen? He’s been around the first team for a few years now and hasn’t proven himself good enough to be a regular starter.

It’s not about me singling him out, being harsh on him or over-critical. It’s just me being realistic that he’s not the world beater our fans make him out to be.

Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:37 pm

I have to hold my hands up and say he was brilliant today.

Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:45 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:I have to hold my hands up and say he was brilliant today.

He was the grown up in the last 20 mins......the penny is dropping for him this season

Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:42 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:I have to hold my hands up and say he was brilliant today.

Fair play Worcester. :ayatollah: :thumbright:

And I hold my hands up that Bulut got it right today, but he had little other choice! His first fully fit team would not have achieved that today. And he’s left it to the penultimate home game to realise what more fluid football can achieve compared to his Turkish slow build anti-football!

Rubin….Responsibility, regular playing time, getting used to a full 90, fitness strength and balance (he has had growth concerns) it’s all shaping up to be the player I hoped he could be. He was helping and encouraging the youngsters too, super proud of him yesterday, loads of my mates say I have rose tinted home grown/Welsh spectacles with our players. I won’t deny that, so many have let me down! From Darcy and Rhys Weston to Cameron Toshack and David Hughes! Want to see Joel Colwill get a few games now.

Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:27 am

Sorry Ned showed how good he was yesterday by starting and playing 90 mins

Colwill was excellent

Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:30 am

Hes been getting better and better, it's great to see.

Still the odd stray pass, there was one back to Horvath yesterday which put us in trouble. That being said he is still a work in progress, and many other players slip up now and again too so can't hold that against him