Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

That’s why Colwill shouldn’t start

Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:59 pm

That second goal is the perfect example why Rubin Colwill shouldn’t start games.

It’s late in the first half and he just needs to stay calm but instead he makes a poor pass to give the ball away in his own half and it leads to a goal.

He’s done well again today with his attacking and will be a good option from the bench.

But this is why he shouldn’t start games - especially away.

Re: That’s why Colwill shouldn’t start

Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:12 pm

Shouldn’t start because he gave the ball away once which unfortunately led to a goal? Ridiculous

Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:16 pm

He'll learn from the mistake.

Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:21 pm

:shock: It was 40 mins in ...

Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:24 pm

It was a pass through to Siopis which would have created a good counter attack if it came off. If he didn't attempt to make that pass plenty on here would be having a go at him for that.

We need to be encouraging our young players not criticising them.

Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:58 pm

1 poor pass doesn't mean he shouldn't start.

Players have made mistakes all the way through the season.

Seems a bit harsh to say he shouldn't start.

He is one of our most creative players, and unfortunately creativity comes with mistakes.

We have been slating tactics for playing sideways and backwards, can't win them all I'm afraid

Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:59 pm

MikeO76 wrote:It was a pass through to Siopis which would have created a good counter attack if it came off. If he didn't attempt to make that pass plenty on here would be having a go at him for that.

We can’t have players passing the ball forward creatively. That is madness haha

Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:03 pm

jimmy_rat wrote:He'll learn from the mistake.

Keep on hearing he’ll learn from his mistakes and still waiting for it to happen.

Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:03 pm

Totally agree

I am a big Colwill fan

Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:04 pm

Roath_Blue wrote:1 poor pass doesn't mean he shouldn't start.

He is one of our most creative players, and unfortunately creativity comes with mistakes.

We have been slating tactics for playing sideways and backwards, can't win them all I'm afraid

If Siopis was a half as good as many think he is he would have got there ;)

Don't think Colwill gave the ball away as much as Sio

Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:04 pm

Underhill1927 wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:It was a pass through to Siopis which would have created a good counter attack if it came off. If he didn't attempt to make that pass plenty on here would be having a go at him for that.

:laughing5:

Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:05 pm

Underhill1927 wrote:

Didn’t say that, but there is a time to do it and a time not to do it.

A time not to do it is when you’ve just defended a set piece and the only player up field is a defensive midfielder who hasn’t scored for us. At least get the weight of the pass right if you are going to do it.

Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:05 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:

Keep on hearing he’ll learn from his mistakes and still waiting for it to happen.

If he does, he'll be well away from us

Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:06 pm

Roath_Blue wrote:1 poor pass doesn't mean he shouldn't start.

Definitely :thumbup:

Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:08 pm

llan bluebird wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:

But he hasn’t, has he?

He’s not a kid anymore.

It’s not as if clubs are banging down the door to make offers for him either, there’s a reason for that.

Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:10 pm

I thought he was awful today. This is why there is no intertest in him.

Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:11 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
llan bluebird wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:

But he hasn’t, has he?

He’s not a kid anymore.

It’s not as if clubs are banging down the door to make offers for him either, there’s a reason for that.

I swear some people think he's Messi. I agree with you, if he was as good as most City fans think, then there would be significant interest from other teams. He's been around the first team for a while now, and I don't think he has improved. Has the odd moment but I don't see him playing at a higher level than the Championship.

Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:18 pm

I heard he was very close and WANTED to join Swansea last season.

Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:47 pm

He fell away having less influence or touches on the ball ... as for that pass was a totally unessasry pass of 40yrds to no one strait to their player who broke down his side of pitch he could of simply held on to ball as under no pressure... point be made he didn't need to make pass with 2 mins from halftime.... how many goals do we concede from misplaced pass in midfield previously? Lots ;)

Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:34 am

pembroke allan wrote:He fell away having less influence or touches on the ball ... as for that pass was a totally unessasry pass of 40yrds to no one strait to their player who broke down his side of pitch he could of simply held on to ball as under no pressure... point be made he didn't need to make pass with 2 mins from halftime.... how many goals do we concede from misplaced pass in midfield previously? Lots ;)

Al, The whole purpose of a player like Colwill is to create. The middle championship may be his peak, limit or he kicks on but he needs to find a coach who wants to attack. We have a do not lose, safety first philosophy. Any and every team wants to hit on the counter, so much so our super defensive midfielder who barely crosses the halfway line tried with every sinew of his body to get upfield. It was poor application rather than a poor idea.

Those criticising him are those who have always criticised him. We all do it, we need to reinforce our argument or philosophy. I'll end my defence of Colwill in that no one, even a fading Champions League local hero has done much with that position in this team. Its a team set up not to concede.

Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:44 am

If Rubin was surrounded by better quality players you would see a top quality Championship player.
Rubin has the quality and creates.

He makes the odd mistake and he is slaughtered unbelievable.

Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:56 am

Forever Blue wrote:If Rubin was surrounded by better quality players you would see a top quality Championship player.

Rubin essentially is a passer. Therefore he needs teammates to pass to. I really don't see the point of playing him with big immobile target men as their strength is to take shit inaccurate balls down. Colwill links with runners Tanner early doors, and Bowler recently. He weights passes like a Whitts or Tomlin, but its wasted when there are 8 players behind him all staying in position.
He needs a Frazier Campbell or Nicky Marnard type forward and lay it on a plate for them.

If Bulut stays we should put him up for transfer.

Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:33 am

I've seen Rambo make one or two mistakes like that this season.It is disappointing but shouldn't be judged on that pass alone.The lad needs more consistency I'll agree but decent No 10's are like rocking horse shit and we couldn't afford to buy one anyway.

Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:33 am

Forever Blue wrote:If Rubin was surrounded by better quality players you would see a top quality Championship player.

Spot on. I just can’t believe why when he has often been the only shining light on the pitch that so many people are so happy to slate him given the chance to do so.

Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:06 am

Ruben Colwill refused to stroke my dog which caused him to stop wagging his tail. He should never start games again and only come off the bench.

Ruben Colwill prefers Mars Bars over Snikers which has caused the peanut farmer to lose out on potential profit. He should never start games again and only come off the bench.

Ruben Colwill does not like the colour blue. This leads to mistakes when we play at home as he refuses to look at other players.He can only play away in the change kits and should never start games again and only come off the bench.

What a stupid OP

Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:21 am

castell-neath wrote:Ruben Colwill refused to stroke my dog which caused him to stop wagging his tail. He should never start games again and only come off the bench.

Ruben Colwill prefers Mars Bars over Snikers which has caused the peanut farmer to lose out on potential profit. He should never start games again and only come off the bench.

Ruben Colwill does not like the colour blue. This leads to mistakes when we play at home as he refuses to look at other players.He can only play away in the change kits and should never start games again and only come off the bench.

What a stupid OP

Yes, you're quite right you have just posted a stupid post.

If he wasn't from Cardiff he would get slated the way Ralls does.
Ned stated just the one pass but he was poor for a good bit of this and other games.
I have to laugh some defending him on here keep saying his kid brother is better hmmmm.

Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:07 am

First name on the team sheet and should be encouraged to create not worry about defending.
A better more astute and attack minded manager would get him playing for sure

Absolutely ridiculous post, has Bulut changed mentality? Let's get on the front foot and try to win a game eh?

Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:12 am

It was a silly mistake, but a mistake Whilst trying to create a chance.

So for me it was a positive mistake he was trying to do the right thing but it didn't come off.

If he don't Start games he won't develop into the player everyone can see he could be

Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:08 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:That second goal is the perfect example why Rubin Colwill shouldn’t start games.

It’s late in the first half and he just needs to stay calm but instead he makes a poor pass to give the ball away in his own half and it leads to a goal.

He’s done well again today with his attacking and will be a good option from the bench.

But this is why he shouldn’t start games - especially away.

Ridiculous and unfair post. The amount of goals we have shipped because of individual errors this season is very high, I could go through the whole squad. Where is their post stating they shouldn’t start? That would be most of the squad! Think this is Rubin’s first, but unlike the rest of the squad his mistakes come from passing forward which the rest of the squad look out of their comfort zone with as the manager instructs it to be slow and sideways. Also, it’s ok for a manager to make mistakes after 20 years in the game but not a young talent whose playing style doesn’t fit the current playing style. I find this post to be personal character assassination.

Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:16 am

bluelover wrote:

Spot on. I just can’t believe why when he has often been the only shining light on the pitch that so many people are so happy to slate him given the chance to do so.

It’s unbelievable that he is getting slated.

Rubin is one of our class players and should be encouraged and we should build around him.